View Full Version : Spiritual Various: Bible, King James Version, V3.0, 06.16.2009 [epub] (UPDATED!!)

sherman
11-09-2008, 06:40 AM
As I mentioned in this (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27252&highlight=KJV&page=2) thread, I thought it would be a rather neat to have an epub version of the Bible, complete with multi-level TOC.
After doing a bit of looking around I just couldn't find anything. So, I decided to bite the bullet and try doing it myself.

What I did is I took the CompleteA.htm file from the above mentioned thread, stripped all of the links and unnecessary (in my view) tags, leaving me with a rather basic HTML file. After getting the HTML file where I wanted it I converted it using calibre to generate a single epub file with two levels of TOC to navigate down to the chapter.

The result is a single file that is quick and easy to navigate to get to the desired chapter. There are no links in the file itself, so there is no previous/next links to chapters etc - all navigation is carried out at the menu system with the numbered buttons. (for the Sony PRS-505)

I am providing both the revised HTML file, as well as the generated epub - feel free to improve either to your hearts content :)

UPDATE: I have run this bible through "ePub_TOC_enhancer_v0.01" as created by =X=. It improves the speed of initial loading of the bible dramatically. Attached file has been updated to V1.1.

UPDATE 2 (06/14/2009): Completely new version 2.0 has been added. See post #10 below for details

UPDATE 3 (06/16/2009): I decided to work on this some more - I fixed a few errors that crept in, and made some cosmetic changes.

dordale
01-22-2009, 01:50 AM
Sherman--

Thanks for this!

dordale :)

sammsmom
02-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Thanks, I have been looking for a bible.

AbFabGab
03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Nice work!

I just loaded onto my 505 and tried it out.
The multi-level TOC is a great idea and works well.

Thanks!

sherman
03-13-2009, 04:33 AM
I'd sorta forgotten about this :o

I ended up moving to a multi-file lrf bible, because to be honest, while this epub version worked well, it was too slow to navigate for my needs.

I'm glad some people have found it useful though.

woodennickel
05-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Sherman,

Thank you for this epub file... While it is just the Old Testament... it works great. The multi level TOC works fine. I'd rather the multilevel TOC all in one file, then multiple files anyday... its is faster to get around this way when you are trying to follow in a sermon. (I have the 700).

HarryT
05-31-2009, 10:27 AM
If this is only the OT, the description in the initial post needs to be amended - there is certainly no mention of that fact there!

AbFabGab
05-31-2009, 11:08 AM
I just checked using Calibre view and NT is on there.

HarryT
05-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for checking that.

sherman
06-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Well, I decided to come back to this, as I was never happy with the speed of the original epub on my PRS-505.

I went over the HTML to fix a couple of typos that had been pointed out to me, and I fancied up the chapter names a bit (eg: "1 Kings" becomes "The First Book of the Kings" in the text itself - not the TOC).

I also added a page break at EVERY chapter in the bible - and then told calibre to split the html file at every page break. This means the epub is made up of over a thousand TINY files (most <10 KB).
I then manually edited the TOC file to optimize the epub for speed.

The result of all of this is an epub KJV Bible that is lightning fast to navigate on a Sony PRS-505. As a bonus, just like the original, this epub Bible has multi-level TOC down to the chapter level.

I have updated the first post with the new version.

Note: Like the original, this epub Bible was created with the Sony PRS-505 in mind. As such, there are no links anywhere in the file for navigation purposes, as navigation is handled entirely by the menu system.

sherman
06-16-2009, 04:36 AM
You'd think I'd gotten tired of this by now :p

Yet another new version - now at V3.0.

There were some problems with a couple of the book headings that I fixed. I also tweaked page breaks so that Book headings are no longer on a page to themselves.
last but not least, I removed the italics from all of the chapter headings.

Hope someone finds this useful :)

Unless I find any major problems, or someone else finds some major problems, this will be the last revision of this particular version.

sakura-panda
06-19-2009, 04:47 PM
I've been thinking I wanted one of these. I should have known there would be one on MR. ;)

Thanks for sharing it! :)

sherman
06-20-2009, 05:56 AM
You're Welcome :)

I hope you find some use for it.

woodennickel
06-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Sherman... this is sweet... perfect....
I can read the TOC (many times is is cut off)....
and you have the sub menu for the chapters...
This is right on... thank you thank you.

sherman
06-22-2009, 03:14 AM
...(many times is is cut off)....

Er, what's that supposed to mean? Is there a problem with my epub, or are you talking about something else?

This is right on... thank you thank you.

woodennickel
06-26-2009, 03:03 AM
Sorry... it was suppose to me this is good.. the titles in the TOC are not cut off like 'many times' --- in other versions I have tried. Sorry I was not clear. It is all good. Thank you.

formerroadie
09-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Anyway to do this with the NRSV?

coase
09-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I tried to load this using Calibre but the program hangs. Any idea why?

Superlucky
09-18-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks for this. I love the prose of the King James Bible.

Superlucky
09-18-2009, 02:07 AM

It didn't give me any trouble.

sherman
09-18-2009, 02:35 AM

If you are trying to load the HTML file into Calibre, it could take a long time, as it isn't small. Otherwise there shouldn't be any troubles.

netman49
09-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Hi Sherman,

Great work!

Works also fine on iPhone/iPod Touch with the Stanza reader. Only on such a small device it would be more practical to have a couple of sophisticated index pages (Bible-book => Bible-chapter => Bible verse).

By using the public available bible translations of the Unbound Bible website (http://unbound.biola.edu/) it is possible to create all your own ePub bibles :thumbsup:

Enough to do :sweatdrop

mcky
09-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks for time and effort. Appreciated

Rootman
10-31-2009, 05:34 PM
Thank you sherman. This is excellent!

4nefertiti
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Sherman,
This is fabulous. Thank you!

All4Fun
12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Thank you sherman for providing this to us.

4nefertiti
12-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Quick question. Do you know if this will work on the 900 daily edition? I'm hoping it will.

sherman
12-23-2009, 10:30 PM
It should work fine on the PRS-900.

Having said that, this (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58098) bible would probably be more suitable to use with the Daily Edition.

DavePearce
12-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Hi Sherman - I've just downloaded ver 3.0 to my prs300. You've done a good job here the toc is excellent. I have looked at a number of other ePubs for the kjv and they all leave you without any ability to find your way around.
Regading Copyright : I have been quite involved in writing software for a number of years and hav written program using the kjv. This is being used throughout the world and therefore I had to sort out copyright issues regarding the kjv text. The law regarding the kjv is that it is in the public domain provided this is being sold or distributed outsideof British terratorial waters. Within the UK the crown holds the copyright "In Perpetuity" (for ever!!) This is managed by Cambridge University. Contacting them requesting distribution within the UK will be given free of charge provided recognition is included with the text for the UK.

Regards
Dave

mypolar
12-27-2009, 10:41 PM
:thanks:

HarryT
12-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Within the UK the crown holds the copyright "In Perpetuity" (for ever!!)

That is no longer true. The crown copyright on the KJV will expire in, I think, 2040. The "perpetual" aspect of it was abolished a few years ago.

Shtop
12-31-2009, 06:38 AM
:thanks: Great stuff, works very well on my PRS300.

mowbray
01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
That is no longer true. The crown copyright on the KJV will expire in, I think, 2040. The "perpetual" aspect of it was abolished a few years ago.

Does this mean that UK users can or can't download this bible?

hcobb
02-05-2010, 01:45 AM
I used your HTML file as a stress test for automatic TOC via OpenOffice Writer.

http://www.io.com/~hcobb/bible.mobi

It's a bit rough, but it's the first free Bible I've seen for the Kindle that has a working TOC button.

Speaking of what to do with an electronic bible, do we really need cross references? After all you can search from any part to any other part by select and paste or just typing in the search term.

HarryT
02-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Does this mean that UK users can or can't download this bible?

Can't.

HarryT
02-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Speaking of what to do with an electronic bible, do we really need cross references? After all you can search from any part to any other part by select and paste or just typing in the search term.

That depends what device you're using. Many don't have a "search" facility.

michaelministry
03-01-2010, 08:50 AM

I hope you find some use for it.

Sherman! I really want to thank you for this great work you did!
I have just got my first ereader a Sony PRS-600 and I love it. I have a lot of Word doc files, and rtf files, that I would love to find out how to make the links within the documents work in the Sony reader. I tried making bookmarks then links to the bookmarks within the document but when I loaded in on my Sony they no longer work.

Can you direct me to how to do this or if they are converted to epub is there an easier way to do it.

Thanks for any guidance you can give me!

Michael

sherman
03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Hmm, I don't usuallly work with Word or RTF documents. However when I do, I almost always save them as "Web Page (Filtered)" and import the HTML file into Calibre.

I'm not sure about the links-if they work in the outputted HTNL, they should work in the calibre converted ePub file.
If they don't work you may need to edit the HTML file yourself and add the links manually.

Hope this helps any.

Rolech
03-29-2010, 03:26 PM
Is the .bz2 file the same as the epub? my windows 7 won't open .bz2
Thanks
Rolech

sherman
03-29-2010, 05:28 PM
On windows, use 7-Zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) to extract the file.

The ePub is the file that is ready to go straight on the reader.

The bz2 file contains the HTML file that I used to create the ePub file.

Rolech
03-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Thank you Sherman, you are very helpful, looking forward to my Sony Reader to arrive this week so I can try it!
Would you or any one you can recommend be interested in creating an epub document for me? I do a post on iJesus Glorylist (maybe 20 year) about 1 page long. I save these on Word and would like to at the end of the year combine them into one ebooklet with a TOC that can go to each individual writing.
If so what is a reasonable price to pay for a job of this sort.
Sorry to bug you but if you could I have one more question. Is their an advantage to to epub vs. Sony's Bbe lrf format in terms of the Sony Readers ability to navigate TOC or other functionalities?
I have a feeling alot of these questions are going to be moot next year as at some point manufactures are going to put better reader software on their machines.

Thanks again
Rolech
Robert

Poppa1956
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Thank you Sherman! I'm new again to the ebook world, and currently and planning (read "scheming") to get a B&N Nook. Curiously, in the B&N desktop reader, the software seems to have a need to "count the chapters" each time I open the book, and again each I open or close the TOC, or the bookmarks, or annotations.No one else has mentioned that little quirk, so I presume its either commonly accepted or (more likely) an uncommon symptom.

I've seen no other Nook users in this thread. Heathens.
;-)

Pussyfoots
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Thank you. This is the best one I've found.

sherman
05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
You're Welcome.

Although I have no idea how it works on the Nook...

Pussyfoots
05-14-2010, 03:54 PM
It works great and I love being able to the book and then select the chapter. The whole Bible is there. I also enjoy the fact that I can make the font larger or smaller so it is easier to read. Thanks again for a job well done.

yard-ape
06-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Sincere thanks.

It works very nicely on my PRS300, and is read every morning and evening.

sherman
06-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Sincere thanks.

It works very nicely on my PRS300, and is read every morning and evening.

You're welcome. I'm glad you are finding it useful :)

adolson
07-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Thanks for this! I had been thinking to get one for my [still fairly new] PRS-300, and this works really well! Appreciated.

Only thing I'd do is have a split option, NT and OT separate files... But I'm too lazy and I'd probably mess up the formatting. :)

jimmylee7706
07-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Thanks so much for this, its great.

Poppa1956
07-18-2010, 12:59 AM
I should have posted again about a month ago. I got my Nook. I Love it. This Bible was, as planned, the first book sideloaded. It works well, and I am quite pleased with the result. Well done, Sherman, and thank you for all the effort you put into this work to have it realized so well.
:thanks:

sunterwagner
08-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I just got my Nook this week, and was very excited to find your Bible!!! I've read the whole post, and I didn't see anything mentioned about the possibility of having a TOC with links or even just page numbers (we can just jump to the page if we knew what page the chapter started on). I would love to just bring my Nook to church!! :)

Thanks again for your hard work!! God has blessed you with this special gift!!!:thanks:

NVash
08-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks! This will be an excellent edition to my library.

dclavey
12-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Nice New Version

Must borrow some of the ideas for my version of Touch Bible.

Touch Bible (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58098)

sherman
12-10-2010, 05:24 PM
Believe it or not, I no longer use my version :p

I currently use the one found here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67207&highlight=pure+cambridge) as it has a nicer version of the text (italics, paragraph marks etc.)

injapan
12-12-2010, 03:43 AM
many thanks

delphin
02-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Hi Sherman, loved your idea of a nice simple high quality KJV Bible, but for some reason I had endless trouble with the v3.0 epub.

It would outright crash FBreader in linux most of the time, and the few times I got it to load, it took about 5 minutes to bring up the title page, and the TOC wouldn't work!

On my Sony PRS-650 the file was also much slower loading though it would usually load in 10 or 15 seconds worst case, then if you dared to do any kind of simple search like (like searching "for god so loved") it might lock up the reader requiring the use of the reset button.

When I looked inside the file, I found that although you had done an absolutely incredible job of editing the HTML to be clean and error free, the EPUB itself was just totally mangled in conversion from HTML, creating over 1200 tiny file segments.

So, I downloaded your HTML base file, and ran it through a better controlled split and conversion to EPUB using Sigil, and the result exceeded my wildest expectations.

Now the file loads in FBreader, Adobe ADE, and on my PRS-650 in literally a second or two, and the search function seems to work perfectly.

Since things were working so well, I made a few other minor tweaks -

* Added public domain cover art from the first edition found on Wikipedia

* Switched to modern standard abbreviated naming, so the Table Of Contents would be fully readable on portable devices like the Nook and Sony Readers.

* As another improvement to the EPUB Table Of Contents, I added separate links at the main level for "Old Testament" and "New Testament".

Here is the new version 4 file -

delphin
02-09-2011, 07:17 AM

sherman
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Those ~1200 odd files were exactly what I wanted at the time. If you look closely, you'd notice that each file is exactly one chapter.

The reason for this is that the PRS-505 had an old implementation of mobile DE, and the device itself was extremely slow. Having a file a chapter meant I could use the following XML in my toc.ncx:

<navPoint id="dbcd5ce5-df26-43df-987b-898896727659" playOrder="5">
<navLabel>
<text>CHAPTER 2</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="Sony Bible Project HTML Final_split_3.htm"/>
</navPoint>

Notice the lack of fragment ID's (#chapterx) in the src line? The PRS-505 absolutely chokes on those when generating its TOC list.

delphin
02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Those ~1200 odd files were exactly what I wanted at the time . . .

First of all Kudo's for your work on this, I was really impressed with the quality of the formatting.

I did indeed notice your elegant, simple, single-chapter-per-split organization and agree that it should work quite well, that's why I was complementary about your work above.

The only reason I fiddled with this at all was that I downloaded your file, then excitedly tried to load it into FBreader, and crashed the app.

So then I put it on my PRS-650 and after taking 8 or 10 seconds to load, it did come up, but locked my reader the first time I tried a search for a simple Bible verse like "for god so loved the world". Crashed the Sony so bad in fact that the only way it would recover was a physical paper clip reset (just holding the power switch to try a hard-power-down did not work).

Believe me, I agree with you, 1200 files is quite a reasonable number in todays world of megabytes of memory, so this SHOULD WORK.

I guess the designers of EPUB readers figured that since EPUBs typically have only a few hundred parts, why design for a few thousand? (because, obviously, nothing ever changes in the computer world right?) Sure, and computers will probably never have more than 64k of memory, or hard drives bigger than 32 Megabytes!

Regardless of what they SHOULD have done, clearly the folks who write EPUB readers, were NOT anticipating 1200 plus files though, because your EPUB file would not work very well on any of the EPUB readers that I commonly use.

If this split arrangement is the only way you could get it to work well on the 505, that's a good point, but I don't have a 505, so I had to try something.

In my original attempt, like you, I also tried to keep things very simple with a one-split-per-book-of-the-Bible.

This did work, and the max size was pretty close to the 260 kb arbitrary ADE EPUB limit, but Sigil didn't even make an effort to consolidate the formatting and create a single CSS, just duplicating the style header at the top of every split file.

So I finally did give in, and give Calibre another crack at the file, by putting my edited Sigil version through a final Calibre conversion.

The first pass with the default options in Calibre resulted in an another unusable file, until I figured out that Calibre was splitting the file on page breaks, again giving thousands of splits.

Even after I disabled that option, Calibre still insisted on adding an unnecessary style tag to EVERY paragraph, resulting in oversized sections that it then promptly SPLIT to keep from exceeding the max 260 k limits.

So despite my best plans, I also ended up with a few extra splits. Having a few books, split on chapter marks, doesn't seem to cause any problems, and all the readers I tried seemed to be happy with that.

With all the extra junk Calibre puts in, splitting at the max 260k limit was still slightly twitchy on the PRS-650 when doing reverse page turns between section breaks, so I went ahead with another Calibre encode; this time telling Calibre to split at a smaller 180 k mark.

Here is a copy of this latest encode with the new slightly smaller splits (largest file is now under 180k).

The above file passes Sigil's EPUB validation with flying colors, and does seem to work quite nicely on the PRS-650, Adobe ADE, and FBreader.

I would be interested in if this EPUB will load and work on a 505?

Elecman
02-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Sherman, THANK YOU so much for fabricating this version to fit on Sony Devices as well as it does. I've been looking all around for a Bible with a TOC that actually works, on my PRS-350 no less. So much easier to read than on my smartphone really, it will compliment my Every Man's Bible which by the way is a fantastic NLT for us guys who may need some guidance. Link to Amazon for this book is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Every-Mans-Bible-NLT-TuTone/dp/1414333951/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297468479&sr=8-2

delphin
02-12-2011, 03:34 AM
Sherman, THANK YOU so much for fabricating this version to fit on Sony Devices as well as it does. I've been looking all around for a Bible with a TOC that actually works, on my PRS-350 no less . . .

I am curious which version that you download and are using?

I don't have a PRS-350, but on my PRS-650 the version 3 file would crash and lock up my reader if I searched for a bible verse like "for god so loved"

Instead of finding John 3:16 like it should, this search would crash my PRS-650 and completely lock it up so it became totally unresponsive.

If you do have version 3, and you try this, be aware that the only way I could find to recover from the lockup condition was to use the paper-clip to press the reset for several seconds, then release the reset button, wait a few seconds and press the power on slider switch to the 'on' position for several seconds (which re-boots the reader's firmware).

roger64
02-12-2011, 04:02 AM
This is a wonderfully interesting subject.

The problem is that, we use this thread to inform people about the arrival of new books. Most of you behave like squatters with oh! and ah! comments which add nothing to the book information.

The rule of thumb here on this thread is: one book, one message.None of you ever noticed it?

Why, you spiritual guys, don't you open a specific bible thread somewhere ? :bulb2:

I may be a little disrespecful but I think you have to be aware of it. The other advantage is that I won't trouble you there.

Thank you.

Elecman
02-12-2011, 10:23 AM
I am curious which version that you download and are using?

I downloaded and am using the Bible derived from the very first post Sherman made.

I tried the same search query you tried... it locked up my 350 also. I would speculate that a multi-word search such as "for god so loved" is exhaustive and wonder if it would finish if given enough time.

See, I searched that term while on the very same page and it did find it. However if I repeat the search at the beginning of the Bible, with over 1200 pages of searching for a low power device with limited CPU resources searching for a multi-word query... it is likely a search destined to fail. And as someone who writes firmware and designs circuits, without a debugger there is no telling if the device is really "working", caught up in a loop, or is suffering from overflow/stack errors when executing such a search.

So in my very light opinion, I think such a search may be beyond the capabilities of the Sony Reader itself, and not necessarily the .epub file.

delphin
02-12-2011, 06:53 PM
I downloaded and am using the Bible derived from the very first post Sherman made . . .

So in my very light opinion, I think such a search may be beyond the capabilities of the Sony Reader itself, and not necessarily the .epub file.

Try this version that I created from Sherman's HTML using Sigil to manually split the internal components of the file slightly differently.

This is my final version which splits the EPUB internally into a much more manageable 80 parts or so for the whole Bible, which seems to be just about optimal.

I haven't found any reader crash issues with this version, and loading and navigation also seem faster and more reliable.

The "for god so loved the world" search completes in only 10 to 15 seconds, even from the cover page, and navigation using the TOC or by double tapping the page number and using the page select slide bar is virtually instantaneous.

I made a few other minor changes as well -

Added a cover page based on a public domain image of the title page to the 1611 first edition of the Authorized King James Version Bible by Cornelius Boel (Source: Wikipedia) The image was contrast, brightness, and gama, adjusted, then resized and sharpened for optimal display.

Updated the Table Of Contents to add links to jump directly to the Old Testament and New Testament sections, and to use the modern standard short form KJV naming for the books of the Bible. So, "THE FOURTH BOOK OF MOSES, CALLED NUMBERS" has been replaced in the TOC with simply "NUMBERS" (this is similar to the v3.0 EPUB, except for the added Old Testament, and New Testament section dividers)

Selected a default font sized for easy reading on the Sony, without having to use the Sony's font size selector to pick a larger font.

Note that EPUB files are internally structured as a zipped archive, and the internal structure the EPUB has been simplified so much in my version that, despite adding a 200k JPEG cover art image, the overall file size is now SMALLER by about 600k (down from 2.2MB to only 1.6MB)

Sherman's original file actually had a much smaller split size, splitting files simply on Bible chapter boundaries, which in theory should have been great, but for some reason many of the EPUB readers I tried had problems dealing with the more than 1200 internal sections that this creates (FBreader often could not load the file at all).

I created this version after doing quite a bit of testing to find the optimal internal split size that works best with large files like the Bible, given the limited resources of these portable reading devices.

Note: This changes I am describing are only technical internal structural changes inside the EPUB. On your reader, it still looks like the same book, and you still have the full indexing down the chapter level, so you do not loose any navigation capability.

Elecman
02-12-2011, 09:34 PM
delphin, that V4 works like a charm. Searching with my 350 for that query only takes maybe 10 seconds now. Good job with that!

Gae
03-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Thankyou