View Full Version : Using one of the Mobi softwares to turn prc to pdf.

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I am relativley new to this. I purchased a DRM protected book several weeks ago. I read it fine on my computer, however I wish to have it on my iphone as a pdf, or a pub (so it can be compatible with ereader from fictionwise).

I am not asking for the software :)

But can some break it down for me? how can I do the conversion without error.

I appreciate it in advance.! :thumbsup:

pilotbob
10-25-2008, 12:42 PM

Sorry, you can't convert a DRMed file. Assuming you know that then you know you need to break the DRM. So, do that. Then, you need to find a way to convert the mobi format to ePub or eReader. I don't think eReader reads ePub, but Stanza does. I'm not aware of hand of how to do that... but I'm sure the tools are out there.

BOb

kovidgoyal
10-25-2008, 12:51 PM
calibre does mobi(DRM free)->epub

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 12:52 PM
My question is the how process. I will happily upload the file and someone can do it for me. hell i'll pay lol.

DaleDe
10-25-2008, 01:11 PM
My question is the how process. I will happily upload the file and someone can do it for me. hell i'll pay lol.

It is likely copyrighted and anyone doing it for you would be breaking the law. The Adobe DRM is not breakable from any known means so the only way to convert the file would be to do screen captures or print it out and then OCR the results.

Dale

pdurrant
10-25-2008, 01:20 PM
If you can break the Mobipocket DRM, then Stanza will happily display the un-DRMed Mobipocket file on your iPhone without further format conversion.

If you really want to take it to eReader, that's a lot more complex. You'll need to extract the html from the un-DRMed Mobipocket file, using mobi2html (one of the excellent Perl scripts for manipulation Mobipocket files), and then convert the HTML to eReader markup. I don't know of any automated way to do that - multiple search/replace might work OK. And then you need to compile up the eReader source using one of the tools eReader provide for that purpose.

I am relativley new to this. I purchased a DRM protected book several weeks ago. I read it fine on my computer, however I wish to have it on my iphone as a pdf, or a pub (so it can be compatible with ereader from fictionwise).

I am not asking for the software :)

I appreciate it in advance.! :thumbsup:

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Well. Breaking the drm is what I need to focus on then. Stanza will do fine. It is a workout book. I bought the book on mobipocket which didn't help me. I own the actual hard cover book as well. Carrying the book on my iphone at the gym seems easier.

wallcraft
10-25-2008, 02:04 PM
See Secure Mobi to something I can use on my 505? (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30495). The final step is Calibre for the PRS-505 or for ePub (i.e. for Stanza), so this is completely relevant.

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 02:11 PM
nice. I will give it a try. Nice to know that if there are problems the community can help.

DaleDe
10-25-2008, 02:20 PM
If you can break the Mobipocket DRM, then Stanza will happily display the un-DRMed Mobipocket file on your iPhone without further format conversion.

Well, that is almost true. In actual practice Stanza does convert your document to ePUB format for display on your phone but it is automatic when you transfer it from your desktop. The display on your iPHONE stanza is always from ePUB.

Dale

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 02:26 PM
Well, that is almost true. In actual practice Stanza does convert your document to ePUB format for display on your phone but it is automatic when you transfer it from your desktop. The display on your iPHONE stanza is always from ePUB.

Dale

What do you mean? I should use the desktop stanza to convert then put it on the phone?

pilotbob
10-25-2008, 05:27 PM
What do you mean? I should use the desktop stanza to convert then put it on the phone?

Yes and no. Actually, when you connect to Stanza from your iPhone the conversion will happen automatically in the background.

BOb

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 05:51 PM
THANK YOU!. I HOPE IT WORKS. I leave work soon. I'll report here when I have succeeded.

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 09:12 PM
I am lost. I have the book and script on my desktop. and no clue how to incorporate into python.

Ireadfreely
10-25-2008, 09:25 PM
where do I put these files. Please help I have no clue what this stuff is.

pilotbob
10-25-2008, 11:11 PM
where do I put these files. Please help I have no clue what this stuff is.

What files? You need to make your questions more specific.

BOb

Ireadfreely
10-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I have the book which is a bunch of numers_enc.prc and the mobidedrm04.py on my desktop.

I dragged the script into python, i get errors, I type the command line, I get errors.

Ireadfreely
01-07-2009, 11:22 PM
well. I have been on haitus for a bit. Now, I converted to epub etc. When I tried in stanza, the pictures did not appear, only the text. Is there another way to convert? I just want to print it at this point.

DaleDe
01-08-2009, 10:04 AM
well. I have been on haitus for a bit. Now, I converted to epub etc. When I tried in stanza, the pictures did not appear, only the text. Is there another way to convert? I just want to print it at this point.

Try Calibre. Stanza strips all kinds of things. It is good for reading on an iPhone but not for anything else.

Dale

Ireadfreely
01-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I tried Calibre. It only converts to epub. I have no clue what to do next.
If mobipocket allowed me to print the ebook I would probably be better off!.

Appreciate any help you guys can offer.

pilotbob
01-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I tried Calibre. It only converts to epub. I have no clue what to do next.
If mobipocket allowed me to print the ebook I would probably be better off!.

I think what he is saying is trying reading your ePub in calibre rather than in Stanza.

BOb

wallcraft
01-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I tried Calibre. It only converts to epub. I have no clue what to do next. Internally, MOBI is HTML. Once the MOBI file is DRM-free, use Calibre's command line program mobi2oeb to "explode" the MOBI to HTML. If you have run mobidedrm you should be able to run mobi2oeb, which is a similar python program. Once Calibre is installed, mobi2oeb should already be in your command "path" so just assume it is there and issue a command such as: mobi2oeb -o book_html book.mobi where book_html is a subdirectory where you would like the HTML and images to go (it does not have to exist yet).

Once you have a HTML file, use whatever you like to create a PDF version. I'm not an expert on this part but html to print should be simple.

Ireadfreely
01-09-2009, 11:43 PM
yea can't do it lol. Can you help me out? I can send you the file? I would appreciate it!!!!!!!!!