View Full Version : BeBook dedicated device forum

orwell2k
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi,

I would like to ask about whether we can add a dedicated BeBook sub-forum under the devices area. I know it is re-labelled hardware from Hanlin (V3) but the BeBook development may well diverge, and the current interest in the product for sale in Europe as well as current and future software development justifies a dedicated forum. I have done a decent review of the device, but posted it in the "Which Device Should I Buy?" section because I didn't want it to get lost/ignored under the Hanlin V3 forum. Thanks.

Great forum by the way - very informative.

:thanks:

Cheers!

Patricia
10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
That's an interesting idea orwell2k.
It would have the advantages that you mention. But the current drawback is that members could end up repeating questions and answers as people asked the same thing about each of the Hanlin clones.
But If there is a flowering of Bebook development then that situation may well change.

orwell2k
11-03-2008, 07:30 AM
That's an interesting idea orwell2k.
It would have the advantages that you mention. But the current drawback is that members could end up repeating questions and answers as people asked the same thing about each of the Hanlin clones.
But If there is a flowering of Bebook development then that situation may well change.

I understand the dilemma. it would be nice to avoid confusion, especially for newbies, and have the BeBook at least included in the forum title for the Hanlin V3 (maybe Hanlin V3 / iBook / BeBook).

It may not be a big name device, but along with the CyBook it offers a great alternative to Sony and Kindle, especially to those outside the sales areas of those devices. As well as to those looking for a genuine alternative that offers a lot of good format support.

Just a thought - thanks.

Patricia
11-03-2008, 07:33 AM
I understand the dilemma. it would be nice to avoid confusion, especially for newbies, and have the BeBook at least included in the forum title for the Hanlin V3 (maybe Hanlin V3 / iBook / BeBook).

Just a thought - thanks.

That's a fair point, orwell2k. I'll ask Alex about an alteration.

bill_mchale
11-05-2008, 04:53 PM
I think at the moment, they are trying to keep down the proliferation of new device based forums while they reorganize the forums. I recently suggested a new forum for the Jetbook (and at the moment there is no forum dedicated to it or its clones). I think in the future, they might be dividing the forums by major families of devices with dedicated sub forums for specific devices. I.e. There might be a Sony PRS forum with a 505 and a 700 dedicated forum...

--
Bill

orwell2k
11-07-2008, 06:45 AM
I think at the moment, they are trying to keep down the proliferation of new device based forums while they reorganize the forums. I recently suggested a new forum for the Jetbook (and at the moment there is no forum dedicated to it or its clones). I think in the future, they might be dividing the forums by major families of devices with dedicated sub forums for specific devices. I.e. There might be a Sony PRS forum with a 505 and a 700 dedicated forum...

--
Bill

I understand the problem, and probably agree as it gets out of hand and makes using the forum, especially for newbies, really tough. I figure the easiest optin at the moment is just to add the Hanlin V3 variants to the forum title, meaning no new forums, sub-forums or anything else, other than the name change.

When they do the re-org, it may be that the readers remain grouped by hardware type, or it may be sorted some other way.

Of course, it's not that bad at the moment, as a search for "BeBook" brings up most of the relevant threads. But sometimes people like to browse and see what's around, and having BeBook in the thread title is enough to catch someone's eye and perhaps get them to read few threads they masy otherwise miss.

Anyway, let's see what heppens! :cool:

Patricia
11-07-2008, 08:36 AM
I have told Alex of your suggestion, orwell2k.
But he's having an incredibly busy period at work, so it may be a while before he can get round to considering the forum reorganisation. So please don't be concerned about a delay.

pilotbob
11-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I figure the easiest optin at the moment is just to add the Hanlin V3 variants to the forum title, meaning no new forums, sub-forums or anything else, other than the name change.

Agreed. Or perhaps the forum list can have a separate entry for each device but point to the same forum. So, Hanlin V3, BeBook, EZ Reader would all be the same "forum" but each be listed separately so new users can find the correct place to go.

BOb

bill_mchale
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM
One of the biggest problems, I think, with deciding how to divide the forums is that there could be multiple ways of dividing them. For example, you can divide by screen technology (eInk versus LCD), screen size, formats supported...

Ideally, I think, the ideal organization would actually allow one forum to be the child forum of several different divisions. Therefore, the BeBook could be reached via 6" screens, or eInk, or Mobi (for example).

--
Bill

orwell2k
04-02-2009, 10:48 AM
I have told Alex of your suggestion, orwell2k.
But he's having an incredibly busy period at work, so it may be a while before he can get round to considering the forum reorganisation. So please don't be concerned about a delay.

Just following up on this ol' chestnut...

I've been less than active on this forum for a while, with just a few sporadic posts since Jan 2009. However, I'm slowly getting back into it and have noticed that there still hasn't been any follow-up to my initial request.

Granted there is likely to be a general bias toward Sony and Kindle forums since the majority of members are probably Sony/Kindle owners. However, clearly there is an increasing number of users interested in alternative devices to the big boys (i.e. Sony, Kindle, Iliad).

Looking back over my initial request, I agree having a dedicated BeBook forum doesn't make sense, since there is so much overlap with BeBook, V3, IBook, EZ Reader (same hardware, very similar firmwares). But I would like to raise the flag a little and think this forum has an obligation to draw more attention to these alternative devices, especially for newbies who no doubt (speaking from personal experience) get overwhelmed with info on Sony and Kindle, whilst having to really dig for any info on the alternatives.

Could we please get the forum title for the Hanlin entry changed to reflect the device variants clearly:

Hanlin eReader V3 (BeBook / IBook / EZ Reader / Walkbook / Papyre 6.1)

If necessary, older Hanlin device threads can go into a Hanlin Legacy forum, but maybe this iis overkill.

I would also suggest changing the sub-heading: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader" as there is a lot of confusion over this throwaway phrase. Again, it stems from the inhernet Sony bias as a comparative device example, but times are changing and I think we need a better description, perhaps:

"Chinese manufactured eInk device distributed internationally as several variants"... or some such wording - perhaps some other users may have better suggestions for this text?

Anyway, just my $0.02 worth.

Justy
04-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Could we please get the forum title for the Hanlin entry changed to reflect the device variants clearly:

Hanlin eReader V3 (BeBook / IBook / EZ Reader / Walkbook / Papyre 6.1)

I'd like to second this request. I have had a few people asking about my BeBook and while I always send them to MobileRead for more information, I have to make sure to tell them to look for the "Hanlin" section to find information about the BeBook. I get some strange looks. :)

I would also suggest changing the sub-heading: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader" as there is a lot of confusion over this throwaway phrase. Again, it stems from the internet Sony bias as a comparative device example, but times are changing and I think we need a better description, perhaps:

"Chinese manufactured eInk device distributed internationally as several variants"... or some such wording - perhaps some other users may have better suggestions for this text?
I don't think there should be any mention of Sony in the description, they don't look or act alike and it's just confusing. Perhaps this sub-heading is where we can add an "Also known as" line.

orwell2k
04-16-2009, 05:53 AM
I don't think there should be any mention of Sony in the description, they don't look or act alike and it's just confusing. Perhaps this sub-heading is where we can add an "Also known as" line.

Good suggestion. I just hope the PTB (powers that be) will listen. :chinscratch:

Patricia
04-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Good suggestion. I just hope the PTB (powers that be) will listen. :chinscratch:

We're listening, orwell2k.
Alex has an ongoing program of forum development, with a very long to-do list. He will be getting round to the Hanlin/BeBook sections before too long.

orwell2k
09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
We're listening, orwell2k.
Alex has an ongoing program of forum development, with a very long to-do list. He will be getting round to the Hanlin/BeBook sections before too long.

Someone's listening, but to whom?

Having seen the commonality of the Hanlin V3 devices, I got used to the convenience of having all the devices in a single forum. And what should happen? Suddenly there is a dedicated Astrak EZReader forum, which if I'm not mistaken is another set of Hanlin clones. What gives?

And then we get a very rapid modification to the Sony forums.

I guess since it's not Sony or Kindle, then who cares, right? :(

daffy4u
09-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I guess since it's not Sony or Kindle, then who cares, right? :(

The Kindle is innocent. :) Right now, there are 2 Sony forums, 2 iRex forums, 2 Hanlin forums (including Aztek) but only 1 Kindle forum.

wallcraft
09-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Having seen the commonality of the Hanlin V3 devices, I got used to the convenience of having all the devices in a single forum. And what should happen? Suddenly there is a dedicated Astrak EZReader forum, which if I'm not mistaken is another set of Hanlin clones. There is no perfect forum layout, but I agree with you that having EZ Reader separate from Hanlin is not the best approach. There seems to be a trend away from sub-forums, but having BeBook and EZ Reader sub-forums under Hanlin makes more sense to me. The other approach that might work is tags (prefixes), again under a Hanlin Forum. This is used currently in the Sony Portable Reader (New Forum) (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176).

JSWolf
09-03-2009, 10:11 AM
Since we have the new Sony forums setup with prefixes, why not have a V3/V5 forum with prefixes for all the different clones? That would make this that much easier.

pilotbob
09-03-2009, 11:11 AM
There is no perfect forum layout, but I agree with you that having EZ Reader separate from Hanlin is not the best approach. There seems to be a trend away from sub-forums, but having BeBook and EZ Reader sub-forums under Hanlin makes more sense to me. The other approach that might work is tags (prefixes), again under a Hanlin Forum. This is used currently in the Sony Portable Reader (New Forum) (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=176).

Alex and the moderators discussed that quite a bit. Alex decided to go with the seperate forums because he felt that most people looking to discus their device will not know that they have an OEM Jinke device and won't realize that is the forum they are looking for.

BOb

Hellmark
09-03-2009, 07:00 PM
And as far as changes go to the sony ones, well, that was just renaming the 700 forum to also include 300 and 600.

orwell2k
11-26-2009, 06:35 AM
Alex and the moderators discussed that quite a bit. Alex decided to go with the seperate forums because he felt that most people looking to discus their device will not know that they have an OEM Jinke device and won't realize that is the forum they are looking for.

BOb

Are you serious? So what's that mean - bad luck to all the other Hanlin users (BeBook, LBook, etc.) who just have to figure it out themselves?

Come on, this was a bad decision and should just be admitted. There is much more benefit to having all Hanlin users under one forum. Or at least separating by actual device (V3, V5, etc.). But dividing the forums so that V3 and V5 clones are grouped by distributor is a little stupid.

As was pointed out to me when requesting a BeBook forum, it is the same hardware with interchangeable firmware. And I agree - there is much more benefit to a common forum. I have found many good ideas from users of other distributor devices. I now run my BeBook with LBook firmware, and it's great!

As Astak is aimed at the US, I would suggest any user has made a conscious decision to boycott the big names like Kindle and Sony, so they know exactly what they are getting - a Hanlin clone. That's probably why they chose it - after reading forums like these.

Anyway, too late for all that now. Much ado about nothing. A bad call, inconsistent reasoning, and very disappointing.

P.S. Maybe one day you will change that catchy and wholly erroneous tag-line on the Hanlin forum - you know the one: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader." Maybe you could use that area for something informative - like making a clear and concise connection between the Astak and Hanlin forums. That way those poor confused souls, who don't realise they have a Hanlin clone, will find their way with ease. :eek:

pilotbob
11-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Anyway, too late for all that now. Much ado about nothing. A bad call, inconsistent reasoning, and very disappointing.

Just remember this is your opinion and I respect it. But, there is no right or wrong way to organize the forum.

BOb

orwell2k
12-11-2009, 08:43 AM
Just remember this is your opinion and I respect it. But, there is no right or wrong way to organize the forum.

BOb

I agree, and I apologise for sounding too aggressive, but I was somewhat annoyed. An unenviable job to make decisions on the organisation of the forum, as you can never please all of the people all of the time.

I was just more annoyed than usual because of the apparent inconsistency of this decision - which is exactly the same as my request for a BeBook forum which was denied earlier in 2009. And the reasons for the denial were sound, and I was actually grateful for the decision as it made it easier to keep track of all the Hanlin V3 related info.

This decision seems to be a reversal of that policy, for no clear reason or benefit. I have already seen some posts by (I'm guessing) Astak newbies who have just realised that the Hanlin and Astak hardwares are the same, and they can often find help in the Hanlin forums too. So separating out an Astak dedicated device forum seems to be a decision that detracts from the ease of finding closely related information on this site.

The decision to create a somewhat redundant Astak forum when it could be handled under the Hanlin forum, whilst ostensibly ignoring other devices (most notably the Cool-ER info seems "homeless") exacerbates the frustration level a little. It seems to be a bit of a gap in the forum organisation that I hope can be addressed as soon as possible.

Thanks for your understanding. :thumbsup:

Perhaps one short-term solution to the Hanlin vs Astak forum issue could be to place a sticky in each forum, clearly pointing to the other forum aas another resource for finding Hanlin device info, to try to make it easier for new and less device literate members and viewers to find help for their devices? :chinscratch:

AlfonsVH
02-02-2010, 11:59 AM
I think this topic needs another thinking through since BeBook will release their Neo soon, which is a rebranded Onyx device rather than a Hanlin.

So, keeping that in mind, wouldn't it be a good idea to make a separate BeBook forum?