View Full Version : Mobi2Mobi GUI Batch

Jad
10-16-2008, 11:49 PM
I'm planning on dusting off my GUI code and developing a new program which will allow batch processing of files. The functionality will be pretty much identical to the existing GUI, just with a Batch oriented front end.

Since its early days, I thought I would solicit any improvement or features requests before I got to far into the programming.

Thanks in advance.

Jad

Ortep
10-21-2008, 06:12 AM
It is very easy to edit the meta data with Mobi Reader. It will end up in the *.mbp file and not in the book.

Perhaps it will be a nice touch when he program will be able to pick up the information that is available in the *.mbp file.

bwaldron
10-21-2008, 07:33 PM
It is very easy to edit the meta data with Mobi Reader. It will end up in the *.mbp file and not in the book.

Which is problematic for users of the Cybook, which ignores the information specified in the .mbp files and only uses that stored in the book itself.

wallcraft
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Perhaps it will be a nice touch when he program will be able to pick up the information that is available in the *.mbp file. Note that mobi2mobi already has the --mbpfile switch to do this on a single file, and this should definitely be made available for batch processing of multiple files.

Jad
10-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently getting up to speed with DataSets in Visual C# to tackle the storage of imported book data and to allow modifications.

Should the -mbpfile switch be included in the normal GUI as well then as an option? Would people find that useful?

tompe
10-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm currently getting up to speed with DataSets in Visual C# to tackle the storage of imported book data and to allow modifications.

Why do you want to store it in a database? How will you synchronize the stored information with the information in the file of somenody runs mobi2mobi manually?

Batch processing is for me just applying nearly the same operation to a lot of files.

Jad
10-21-2008, 09:11 PM
The way I envisage the way it will work is that you select a range of books you wish to modify. The system pulls out the existing information as per the existing GUI for each book but in a table like view. You can then modify the various fields for each book and then do the mass conversion. I suppose I'm aiming for something a little more full featured than just a straight batch builder.

Ortep
10-22-2008, 02:58 AM
Should the -mbpfile switch be included in the normal GUI as well then as an option? Would people find that useful?

Perhaps you can implement it like this in the normal gui:

If there is a mbp file with the same name a the book you selected in the working directory it probably is part of the book. Simply extract the information and use it as the default data for all the fields. I would like that.

Format C:
10-22-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm planning on dusting off my GUI code and developing a new program which will allow batch processing of files. The functionality will be pretty much identical to the existing GUI, just with a Batch oriented front end.

Since its early days, I thought I would solicit any improvement or features requests before I got to far into the programming.

Thanks in advance.

Jad

From my very first e-book, I always have dreamed of a MP3Tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en/)clone specific for e-books.
It doesn't use databases, just metadata, but it's complete.

;)

OTOH, I wonder: wouldn't be easier to write a mobipocket export module for Calibre?
It has some of the features we need (including ISBN.com metadata synchronization), and they're being expanded over time.