View Full Version : Is there a program that will merge prc files and...

GatorDeb
09-24-2008, 04:27 AM
I have fallen in love with RSS Feeds and MobiPocket reader. It takes the whole article and formats it perfectly and transfers it to my Kindle. I have hundreds and hundreds of feeds, and should reach 1000+ feeds by the weekend. The complete New York Times, Time, Newsweek, CNN, tons of blogs, USA Today, Vegas newspapers and TV station, The Miami Herald for nostalgia's sake, etc.

The problem is that a single newspaper, blog, or site might have tons of feeds... 80-something feeds, even over a hundred feeds. So I have hundreds of files in the Kindle to go through. Here's what I want.

Let's say I have:

Time News.prc
Time Opinion.prc
Time Health.prc
Time Business.prc

(Each prc file has perfectly linked TOCs that lead to the whole article).

Is there a program that will merge those files into Time.prc, with a TOC that has

Time News
Time Opinion
Time Health
Time Business

and then when you clicked on any of those you then get taken to their own respective TOCs.

That would make it a dream come true. I've cut down my Kindle subscriptions because most of it I now get for free (and easily).

Thanks! :)

nekokami
10-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I have a friend with a Kindle who has the same question, so if anyone knows, and would post here, I'd appreciate it. :)

Bob Butler
10-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Try this: Use Mobi2Mobi and change the title of all Times prc's to "The New York Times" and change the author to whatever the title used to be.

The Kindle will group them in a "folder" the way it does with Amazon magazine subscriptions and when you select the folder you'll just get a list of feeds for the NYT.

Not quite what you are looking for, but it works pretty well to de-clutter the home page.

It's relatively easy to write a .bat/.cmd file to do it automatically. You do need to manually sync them rather than using the Mobi auto-sync feature. There are lots of ways to do that automatically too.

BTW, the NYT does have consolidated feeds: The "Business Feed" consists of articles from five of the smaller feeds for example.

Edit: Here's an example:

mobi2mobi "c:\mobi\feeds\NYT__Week_in_Review_AAB6555B.prc" --title "The New York Times" --author "NYT Week in Review" --outfile "k:\documents\NYT__Week_in_Review_AAB6555B.prc"

Assuming k: is your kindle drive, that will write it directly to the kindle

Leep
10-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Since these are ongoing "like" documents, I would think that you could do this by creating a template in mobipocket creator and then running the feeds against the template. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with Creator to know how one would do that. Maybe someone else it.

GatorDeb
10-15-2008, 01:29 AM
I ask, no replies, someone else asks, two replies :(

I haven't tried it for feeds yet but I used it for books, setting the title as Fictionwise and then the author as the Title -- Author. That way I can create folder!! Thanks for that information, it is awesome.

I also created my first batch file - I love it! It does make things quicker.

I tried setting the title as the same and then the author as the book name, and now I just have a bunch of books with the same title... it's not putting them in "Folders" ... is there an extra step?

Bob Butler
10-15-2008, 04:23 AM
I tried setting the title as the same and then the author as the book name, and now I just have a bunch of books with the same title... it's not putting them in "Folders" ... is there an extra step?

I had never tried it with anything other than feeds. I just tried it with a couple of books from Fictionwise and see the same thing you do.

Feeds through Mobireader are booktype "News" instead of "Book", maybe it only works on certain types. That would make sense, it's possible for two different books to have the same title and you wouldn't necessarily want them grouped. News or Magazines on the other hand, it makes sense to group.

Bob

GatorDeb
10-15-2008, 05:55 AM
I loaded a few Amazon periodicals through mobi2mobi to see if I could figure out how to flag the books as periodicals (I always have Show All, so I don't need the types separate). Does anyone know how to change the type from book to periodical? That way I can set all books as periodicals... that would be so awesome, to have just 4 or 5 entries on the home screen instead of hundreds of books! :D

tompe
10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
I loaded a few Amazon periodicals through mobi2mobi to see if I could figure out how to flag the books as periodicals (I always have Show All, so I don't need the types separate). Does anyone know how to change the type from book to periodical? That way I can set all books as periodicals... that would be so awesome, to have just 4 or 5 entries on the home screen instead of hundreds of books! :D

There was a thread somewhere about this but I do not think anybody succeeded in figuring out how to do it. If I am wrong I hope somebody correct me...

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 06:15 AM
I emailed Amazon asking how to set the metadata to differentiate between periodical and book, and they told me that's proprietary information and they do not divulge it. :(

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Just thought of a question... is there a way to take all files in a directory and change an attribute using mobi2mobi? I can create a batch file but I would have to copy and paste all the names in different lines.....

Thanks! :)

pilotbob
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
I emailed Amazon asking how to set the metadata to differentiate between periodical and book, and they told me that's proprietary information and they do not divulge it. :(

I think Hadrien and some others here figured that out. Did you search the forums to find this. I know hard to know what to search on.

BOb

slayda
10-22-2008, 04:42 PM

If you have the "Publisher's Edition of Mobipocket Creator" and are creating the Mobipocket yourself, you can make this change there. Don't know if this helps. You could probably use mobi2html with your originals and make the Mobipocket from the result.

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I found it here!! Searching for Periodicals on this forum. The command is

mobi2mobi filename.prc --booktype "257" --outfile filename.prc

Works LIKE A CHARM. :D Thanks whoever figured THAT one out!

Now I have about 600 books on my Kindle... anyone know how to set the booktype of all of them at the same time? :)

I wonder if changing the booktype makes the Kindle re-search them. It's been about 4 days since it had 500 files to go and it's at 100 files, so it's about 100 files a day that it can get through. Almost done!

bwaldron
10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I found it here!! Searching for Periodicals on this forum. The command is

mobi2mobi filename.prc --booktype "257" --outfile filename.prc

Works LIKE A CHARM. :D Thanks whoever figured THAT one out!

Now I have about 600 books on my Kindle... anyone know how to set the booktype of all of them at the same time? :)

My Windows command line skills are rusty...but something like:

for %%a in (*.prc) do mobi2mobi "%%a" --booktype "257" --outfile "%%a"

run in a batch (cmd) file placed somewhere in your path, should work to change the booktype on all files in a single folder.

If my syntax is a bit rusty, this should at least point you in the right direction. :)

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 06:22 PM
for %%a in (*.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Free" --author "%%a" --outfile "%%a"

!!! :)

It edited them, now to test the Kindle.

pilotbob
10-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Could you expand on that sentence please? :D

You can just type his command at the command line... you don't need to make it a batch file... if you do this though remove one of the % at each variable... you only need to double them if you put them in a batch file.

BOb

bwaldron
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Could you expand on that sentence please? :D

Sure ;)

Using Notepad (or whatever you use for a text editor), create a file with the following line in it:

for %%a in (*.prc) do mobi2mobi "%%a" --booktype "257" --outfile "%%a"

Save it as makeper.cmd in either the directory where you have the ebooks you want to convert, or a directory where you generally save your script/batch files (you could save it in the directory where mobi2mobi resides if you like).

Open a command (DOS) window and navigate to the directory where your .prc files are stored. Run makeper and all the .prc files in that directory should be changed to the new booktype. (I would create a backup of my books first, just in case of problems).

Hope that helps?

EDIT: Just read Bob's reply above. If this is a "one off" task, do it that way (just enter the command). If perhaps you'll want to do this task again in the future, creating the batch/cmd file might be useful.

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM
IT WORKS IT WORKS !!! I HAVE FOLDERS!!! :D :D :)

There's one tiny little change I'd like: Using

for %%a in (*.mobi) do mobi2mobi.exe "%%a" --booktype "257" --title "Free" --author "%%a" --outfile "%%a"

the author field keeps the file extension, i.e. title.mobi or title.prc. Is there a way to grab just the file name part of %%a and leave the extension behind? That would make this PERFECT.

pilotbob
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
IT WORKS IT WORKS !!! I HAVE FOLDERS!!! :D :D :)

There's one tiny little change I'd like: Using

the author field keeps the file extension, i.e. title.mobi or title.prc. Is there a way to grab just the file name part of %%a and leave the extension behind? That would make this PERFECT.

Yes... use %%~na

BOb

tompe
10-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Nice that it works. So what does it sort the folders on? Is it the title? And what is shown in the "folders"? The author? Or something else?

Would a flag "--kindlecollection collectionname" that does "--booktype 257 --title collectionname" be useful? The disadvantage is that it is hidden that the title change.

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 07:06 PM
tompe did you create mobi2mobi? It is the greatest thing since sliced bread :D

Thanks bob running it right now.

tompe
10-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Yes, I am glad you like it :)

bwaldron
10-22-2008, 07:10 PM

Sliced bread is overrated. ;)

tompe's mobiperl tools are indeed great.

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 07:12 PM
I got chills looking at my folder.

It sorts it by name in the main listing and then by author within the folder. I put the title of the book under the author flag.

If you have a favorite author you can make the folder be the author's name and then the author be the title of each book :D

This is soooooo great. I can't believe Amazon doesn't want to promote this.

pilotbob
10-22-2008, 07:20 PM
It sorts it by name in the main listing and then by author within the folder. I put the title of the book under the author flag.

If you have a favorite author you can make the folder be the author's name and then the author be the title of each book :D

Ok... can you be more specific? How does it group them? By title value? or by Author value? I'm not following what you are saying. A Wiki entry would be much appreciated.

BOb

GatorDeb
10-22-2008, 07:23 PM
When you press home, it lists them by folder name. If you have books that haven't been Folderized, they will be interspersed with the folders (i.e. it doesn't group the folders and then show the books, the folders and books are intermixed). When you click on the folder name, it lists the Folderized books by author.

Home:

Catcher In The Rye
Fictionwise Folder
Romeo And Juliet
Stephen King Folder

Stephen King Folder:

Stephen King Cujo
Stephen King Stand, The
Stephen King Thinner

pilotbob
10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
When you press home, it lists them by folder name.

Cool... so the home page shows the folder name on the file system of the kindle in the documents folder?

Then when you drill into the Steve King folder it shows all the ebook files that are in that folder... if all those books have the book type changed?

IS all that correct?

Now, why would you set the title of the book to the author name?

Also, what about nested folders? If I have a folder in a folder, does that work?

I guess I could just try it...:rofl:

BOb

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 02:36 AM
You set the author tag to be the title because the folder name is replacing the title. When you go into the folder every book has the title "Folder Name" and then where the author "should" be appears whatever you want to name it. I name it the book name because it's more unique than the author.

What groups things into a folder isn't having the booktype changed... it's having the booktype AND the title changed, and it groups like titles together.

On the main screen the folder show up just as any book title, only that when you click on them you go to another screen with files.

I'll try nested folders tomorrow.

pilotbob
10-23-2008, 02:55 AM
What groups things into a folder isn't having the booktype changed... it's having the booktype AND the title changed, and it groups like titles together.

Ah... I see what you are saying. I thought you had said the the folder name you created in the Documents folder becomes your folder name on the Kindle... but it sounds like the -title in the mobi file is actually the folder. So, you could have all these ebook files be in the Documents folder on the kindle and they would still show up as "folders" on the kindles home screen. Correct?

BOb

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 03:10 AM
Right, folders on the card have nothing to do with folders in the Kindle. You could have all files under Documents and they would be grouped in folders based on the same title with a booktype of news. I just like having the Kindle folders correspond to PC folders :D

Do you think anything bad would come from Amazon if I start publicizing this everywhere? I.e. Kindle discussion group at Amazon. This is such a revolutionary find.

wallcraft
10-23-2008, 03:43 AM
Do you think anything bad would come from Amazon if I start publicizing this everywhere? I.e. Kindle discussion group at Amazon. This is such a revolutionary find. Go for it.

The only argument against this I can see is that Amazon could easily implement real folders or "author" virtual folders in their next software update. Then you are stuck with ebooks that have weird author and title fields. However, I can't see them changing the news handling so the modified ebooks will still be ok.

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Go for it.

The only argument against this I can see is that Amazon could easily implement real folders or "author" virtual folders in their next software update. Then you are stuck with ebooks that have weird author and title fields. However, I can't see them changing the news handling so the modified ebooks will still be ok.
I mean can they get mad that people have figured out how to manipulate files?

wallcraft
10-23-2008, 03:54 AM
I mean can they get mad that people have figured out how to manipulate files? There have been posts to the discussion group about mobi2mobi before. It does not remove or interfere with Amazon's DRM, so I don't know why they would care.

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I found out that .prc files don't show so that you have to rename them to .mobi.

If you read this before 8:30a on October 23rd, read this part, otherwise skip it... it will become part of main part of the message in a few days
==================================================
IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems that if the file is .prc, it doesn't show. This is EASILY fixed. If you haven't done this yet, add this line at the beginning and then you just have to do the other line for *.mobi. If you have done it already and your books don't show, create a .cmd file (text file with .cmd extension) that only has this line).

for %%a in (*.prc) do rename "%%a" "%%~na.mobi"

That's it! (along with the rest of this post of course)
================================================== =============================

pilotbob
10-23-2008, 01:12 PM
I found out that .prc files don't show so that you have to rename them to .mobi.

If you read this before 8:30a on October 23rd, read this part, otherwise skip it... it will become part of main part of the message in a few days
==================================================
IMPORTANT NOTE: It seems that if the file is .prc, it doesn't show. This is EASILY fixed. If you haven't done this yet, add this line at the beginning and then you just have to do the other line for *.mobi. If you have done it already and your books don't show, create a .cmd file (text file with .cmd extension) that only has this line).

for %%a in (*.prc) do rename "%%a" "%%~na.mobi"

That's it! (along with the rest of this post of course)
================================================== =============================

Or you could just add that extension to your command and prevent processing the files twice.

for %%a in (*.mobi,*.prc) blah blah --outfile %%~na.mobi

BOb

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 02:07 PM
How do you know so much about command lines?

Are there seriously books you recommend to learn more dos commands?

pilotbob
10-23-2008, 02:12 PM

Um... I've been using PCs since the mid 1980s and the DOS command line was the only way to interact with it. So, I learned it pretty well.

In a command prompt just type for /? and it will give you the docs for the for command. It's not a secret. Yes, there is probably a book on the DOS command line processor, commands and writing batch files. But, just google on "DOS batch commands" or something like that and you will find plenty of info.

BOb

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Now if there was a way to batch convert txt and doc files to PRC....

pilotbob
10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Now if there was a way to batch convert txt and doc files to PRC....

You could probably do it by opening the file in word and save as HTML... then use html2mobi. However, I have no idea how the formatting would be. I think you can control word with the command line, but it would not be cross platform.

BOb

DaleDe
10-23-2008, 04:13 PM

You can read about command line in the wiki. If that isn't enough to get you started tell me and I will beef it up. The current CMD has gone way beyond DOS and command lines are more predominant in Unix systems these days.

Dale

GatorDeb
10-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Well, two folders were created beautifully but three folders refuse to appear. I've done the EXACT same thing to ALL files, and only two folders are cooperating. I cannot figure it out. The books themselves ceased to appear also (so something IS being changed, but no idea why it refuses to show the other folders).

GatorDeb
10-24-2008, 01:30 AM
Is there any way to look at all the metadata from a prc file?

wallcraft
10-24-2008, 12:48 PM
Is there any way to look at all the metadata from a prc file? Did you try mobi2mobi without any options? It prints information about the file. MobiPerl also has mobils.