Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #1
joeanne12
joeanne12 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Convert double page pdf

Hi have searched for an answer but cant find one. I have a couple of pdf books that have two pages printed on the same page and cannot convert them successfully. I cant even seperated the pages, does anyone have any idea how this can be done?
Thanks
joeanne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
that's a good question.
I had the issue today.
I'll try with Adobe Acrobat to see if there's an option somewhere !
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedale View Post
that's a good question.
I had the issue today.
I'll try with Adobe Acrobat to see if there's an option somewhere !
Turn on reflow. that should make one flow with one column.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
joeanne12
joeanne12 began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Thanks heaps for your reply, but that only allows you to read the book in a single column on the pc. You cannot save, edit, or print a document while it is in Reflow view. This means I cannot read it on my sony reader.
joeanne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
If I understand you correctly, you have pages similar to this;

If this is the case, I know you can convert to two individual pages using the OCR program ABBYY Finereader.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
senseabove
senseabove began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad or DS?
Similar but not quite the same problem: Is there any software that can automatically split two-on-one pdf pages into two separate pages? Basically, I want to convert scanned PDFs from double-paged landscape layout to single-paged portrait layout.

From the list of functions in an old thread, PDFRead supposedly can do something similar, but I was curious to know if I'm understanding that correctly before I install devtools and the rest. I'd also prefer keeping it in PDF, but, skimming the PDFRead threads, all discussion seems to be about converting to another format. I suppose conversion is fine, but I hate relying on OCR to get words correct, especially with moderately grainy and small-font-size scanned PDFs.
senseabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Finereader Pro 9 (http://www.abbyy.com) and Snapter (http://www.snapter.atiz.com) can do this.

They are not free, but Finereader is one of the two leaders of the OCR market and will serve you much beyond the need you have now.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
senseabove

Anything on OS X? Forgot to mention that...
Old 01-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
I’m sorry but I’m Apple “blind”, and thus can not help you here.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
senseabove

Thanks for the suggestions, though. If it comes down to it, I can always install Windows. That's just a little overkill for one program...

Anyone else know of any?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeanne12 View Post
Hi have searched for an answer but cant find one. I have a couple of pdf books that have two pages printed on the same page and cannot convert them successfully. I cant even seperated the pages, does anyone have any idea how this can be done?
Thanks
Based on a tip on this site a couple of days ago, I picked up a free copy of PDFZilla and used it to convert a 4 column PDF in tabloid size to an MSWord doc. It handled it nicely, putting each column in separate frames, fully editable text. When it did not find the font used in the original document installed on my system it substituted with a reasonable solution. The program also converts PDF to txt or html.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
senseabove

For any other Mac users out there, there's a tedious way to do this with preview.

Make two copies of the original PDF.
Open one copy, select the left hand pages with the Box tool.
Make sure the "Thumbnail" view is selected in the preview bar on the right side. Select all pages in the preview bar.
You should now be able to see where the selection you want to crop falls on each page. Make sure nothing will get chopped off, then select Crop from the Tools menu, or hit Cmd-K.
Now, you'll need to "Print" the file to a new PDF. When you crop something in Preview, it doesn't actually delete the data which you cut off, just hides it (To see the cropped document in its original, uncropped form, go to "View/PDF Display/Media Box"). However, if you print it, only the area you kept will be printed.
Repeat with the right hand pages.

And here's the tedious part.
You should now have two files, one with only left hand pages and one with only right hand pages.
If you've got both windows open in Preview, with thumbnail view in the right hand preview bar, you can drag pages from the right-hand-pages file into the left-hand-pages file, interpolating all the pages. Helpful tip: It's easiest if you go to the Edit menu and insert enough blank pages so that the page numbers on the actual document match up with the page number in the PDF file. That way you can tell if you get off number or drop a page in the wrong spot.

Anyone know of a faster way to do this? I don't have any experience with Automator, but could it automate the interpolation process?

Last edited by senseabove; 01-15-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Finereader Pro 9 (http://www.abbyy.com) and Snapter (http://www.snapter.atiz.com) can do this.

They are not free, but Finereader is one of the two leaders of the OCR market and will serve you much beyond the need you have now.
Thanks for the tip. FineReader is ... well ...fine and deals very well with double-column PDF documents (among others)
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
wiffel
wiffel is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
I did convert some PDF documents like you describe. For most of them, I managed to get some readable documents by using PaperCrop (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677)
wiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #15
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
You can use Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader):

1. Choose Adobe PDF printer
2. Set Page Scaling to "Tile Large Pages", set Tile Scale to 100% and overlap to 0
3. Print the document with Adobe PDF printer as a new .pdf file
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote