View Full Version : Convert double page pdf

joeanne12
09-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Hi have searched for an answer but cant find one. I have a couple of pdf books that have two pages printed on the same page and cannot convert them successfully. I cant even seperated the pages, does anyone have any idea how this can be done?
Thanks

Dedale
09-18-2008, 03:37 AM
that's a good question.
I had the issue today.
I'll try with Adobe Acrobat to see if there's an option somewhere !

DaleDe
09-19-2008, 12:02 PM
that's a good question.
I had the issue today.
I'll try with Adobe Acrobat to see if there's an option somewhere !

Turn on reflow. that should make one flow with one column.

Dale

joeanne12
09-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks heaps for your reply, but that only allows you to read the book in a single column on the pc. You cannot save, edit, or print a document while it is in Reflow view. This means I cannot read it on my sony reader.

slayda
09-22-2008, 10:42 AM
If I understand you correctly, you have pages similar to this;
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=54&pictureid=772

If this is the case, I know you can convert to two individual pages using the OCR program ABBYY Finereader.

senseabove
01-13-2009, 08:14 PM
Similar but not quite the same problem: Is there any software that can automatically split two-on-one pdf pages into two separate pages? Basically, I want to convert scanned PDFs from double-paged landscape layout to single-paged portrait layout.

From the list of functions in an old thread, PDFRead supposedly can do something similar, but I was curious to know if I'm understanding that correctly before I install devtools and the rest. I'd also prefer keeping it in PDF, but, skimming the PDFRead threads, all discussion seems to be about converting to another format. I suppose conversion is fine, but I hate relying on OCR to get words correct, especially with moderately grainy and small-font-size scanned PDFs.

DDHarriman
01-14-2009, 04:11 PM
Hi

Finereader Pro 9 (http://www.abbyy.com) and Snapter (http://www.snapter.atiz.com) can do this.

They are not free, but Finereader is one of the two leaders of the OCR market and will serve you much beyond the need you have now.

senseabove
01-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Anything on OS X? Forgot to mention that...

DDHarriman
01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
I’m sorry but I’m Apple “blind”, and thus can not help you here.

senseabove
01-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, though. If it comes down to it, I can always install Windows. That's just a little overkill for one program...

Anyone else know of any?

Leep
01-15-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi have searched for an answer but cant find one. I have a couple of pdf books that have two pages printed on the same page and cannot convert them successfully. I cant even seperated the pages, does anyone have any idea how this can be done?
Thanks
Based on a tip on this site a couple of days ago, I picked up a free copy of PDFZilla and used it to convert a 4 column PDF in tabloid size to an MSWord doc. It handled it nicely, putting each column in separate frames, fully editable text. When it did not find the font used in the original document installed on my system it substituted with a reasonable solution. The program also converts PDF to txt or html.

cheers

senseabove
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
For any other Mac users out there, there's a tedious way to do this with preview.

Make two copies of the original PDF.
Open one copy, select the left hand pages with the Box tool.
Make sure the "Thumbnail" view is selected in the preview bar on the right side. Select all pages in the preview bar.
You should now be able to see where the selection you want to crop falls on each page. Make sure nothing will get chopped off, then select Crop from the Tools menu, or hit Cmd-K.
Now, you'll need to "Print" the file to a new PDF. When you crop something in Preview, it doesn't actually delete the data which you cut off, just hides it (To see the cropped document in its original, uncropped form, go to "View/PDF Display/Media Box"). However, if you print it, only the area you kept will be printed.
Repeat with the right hand pages.

And here's the tedious part.
You should now have two files, one with only left hand pages and one with only right hand pages.
If you've got both windows open in Preview, with thumbnail view in the right hand preview bar, you can drag pages from the right-hand-pages file into the left-hand-pages file, interpolating all the pages. Helpful tip: It's easiest if you go to the Edit menu and insert enough blank pages so that the page numbers on the actual document match up with the page number in the PDF file. That way you can tell if you get off number or drop a page in the wrong spot.

Anyone know of a faster way to do this? I don't have any experience with Automator, but could it automate the interpolation process?

roger64
01-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Hi

Finereader Pro 9 (http://www.abbyy.com) and Snapter (http://www.snapter.atiz.com) can do this.

They are not free, but Finereader is one of the two leaders of the OCR market and will serve you much beyond the need you have now.
Thanks for the tip. FineReader is ... well ...fine and deals very well with double-column PDF documents (among others) :thumbsup:

wiffel
01-27-2009, 04:29 AM
I did convert some PDF documents like you describe. For most of them, I managed to get some readable documents by using PaperCrop (see http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677)

owl123
01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
You can use Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader):

1. Choose Adobe PDF printer
2. Set Page Scaling to "Tile Large Pages", set Tile Scale to 100% and overlap to 0
3. Print the document with Adobe PDF printer as a new .pdf file

yehudin
02-02-2009, 05:02 PM
For any other Mac users out there, there's a tedious way to do this with preview.

Make two copies of the original PDF.
Open one copy, select the left hand pages with the Box tool.
Make sure the "Thumbnail" view is selected in the preview bar on the right side. Select all pages in the preview bar.
You should now be able to see where the selection you want to crop falls on each page. Make sure nothing will get chopped off, then select Crop from the Tools menu, or hit Cmd-K.
Now, you'll need to "Print" the file to a new PDF. When you crop something in Preview, it doesn't actually delete the data which you cut off, just hides it (To see the cropped document in its original, uncropped form, go to "View/PDF Display/Media Box"). However, if you print it, only the area you kept will be printed.
Repeat with the right hand pages.

And here's the tedious part.
You should now have two files, one with only left hand pages and one with only right hand pages.
If you've got both windows open in Preview, with thumbnail view in the right hand preview bar, you can drag pages from the right-hand-pages file into the left-hand-pages file, interpolating all the pages. Helpful tip: It's easiest if you go to the Edit menu and insert enough blank pages so that the page numbers on the actual document match up with the page number in the PDF file. That way you can tell if you get off number or drop a page in the wrong spot.

Anyone know of a faster way to do this? I don't have any experience with Automator, but could it automate the interpolation process?

Sorry to resuscitate the thread but I seem to have gotten stuck in this last part.

Can anyone explain me better how to interpolate the pages because my Preview simply seems not to allow me to do it.

Alternatively does anyone know how to do an automator action that would do the trick?

senseabove
02-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry if that's confusing... this is one of those 'easier than it sounds' types of things.

If you've made it that far, you have on file with all of your left hand pages, and one file with all of your right hand pages.

Open the file that contains the first page (should be the left-hand-pages document, "File #1").

Make sure you have the Sidebar open ("View/Sidebar"; Cmd-Shift-D; or the "Sidebar" button in the top toolbar). In the bottom of the sidebar, there should be button with two little boxes beside two little lines. Click that, and choose "Thumbnails" from the three options. (This will ONLY WORK if you have the thumbnail view selected— I may not have made that clear enough last time.) The sidebar should now show scaled down previews of each page, laid out in a grid. (See the first attached image for how it should look.)

Now open your other file (right-hand pages, File #2) and set it up the same way, with thumbnail views. In File #2, the first page in it should be the second page of what will eventually be your finished document. Click and hold the thumbnail of the first page in File #2, then drag it over and drop it next to the thumbnail of the first page in File #1. A little red bar should appear to show where the page will be dropped. (See the 2nd attached image)

Now comes the tedious part of dragging each right hand page from File #2 to the correct place in File #1, making sure all your page numbers end up in order. Once you've done that, just Save!

Just lemme know if you need any more clarification.

yehudin
02-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Sorry if that's confusing... this is one of those 'easier than it sounds' types of things.

If you've made it that far, you have on file with all of your left hand pages, and one file with all of your right hand pages.

Open the file that contains the first page (should be the left-hand-pages document, "File #1").

Make sure you have the Sidebar open ("View/Sidebar"; Cmd-Shift-D; or the "Sidebar" button in the top toolbar). In the bottom of the sidebar, there should be button with two little boxes beside two little lines. Click that, and choose "Thumbnails" from the three options. (This will ONLY WORK if you have the thumbnail view selectedó I may not have made that clear enough last time.) The sidebar should now show scaled down previews of each page, laid out in a grid. (See the first attached image for how it should look.)

Now open your other file (right-hand pages, File #2) and set it up the same way, with thumbnail views. In File #2, the first page in it should be the second page of what will eventually be your finished document. Click and hold the thumbnail of the first page in File #2, then drag it over and drop it next to the thumbnail of the first page in File #1. A little red bar should appear to show where the page will be dropped. (See the 2nd attached image)

Now comes the tedious part of dragging each right hand page from File #2 to the correct place in File #1, making sure all your page numbers end up in order. Once you've done that, just Save!

Just lemme know if you need any more clarification.

Thanks a lot but I still have the same problem! I don't have those two little boxes that you mention at the end of the Drawer. Therefore I can't move thumbnails.

It must be because I'm running Tiger and you should be running Leopard.

Faenad
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
PDFill PDF Editor Tools allow you to do that and its free.
http://www.pdfill.com/
(it's for windows only but if you have a mac you can always use a virtualization software to run it)

First it's better to remove all pages (cover, etc.) that are not formatted in double column (you can reinsert them later).

You need then to make two copy of the resulting PDF.

Then using the crop command, in the first copy you crop the right side of all the pages, keeping only the first column.
In the second copy you keep the second column only.

After that you merge the two files, and then reorder the pages using the reorder function like this :
For a 100 pages PDF : pages 1,51,2,52, etc.
(you can use Excel & word to generate and copy/paste the list quickly)

After that you can reinsert the cover and other normally formatted pages you removed first.

Making the first conversion is a bit tedious but once you know your way around the software it's very fast as all the steps are automated.

It's also works for every double column pdf, while with some bad pdf relying on the reflow function will mess up the text.
(The reflow displays first the first paragraph of the first column, then the first paragraph of the second column, then goes back to the first, etc. :chinscratch:)

yehudin
02-10-2009, 09:33 AM
(it's for windows only but if you have a mac you can always use a virtualization software to run it)

First it's better to remove all pages (cover, etc.) that are not formatted in double column (you can reinsert them later).

Then using the crop command, in the first copy you crop the right side of all the pages, keeping only the first column.

After that you merge the two files, and then reorder the pages using the reorder function like this :

After that you can reinsert the cover and other normally formatted pages you removed first.

Making the first conversion is a bit tedious but once you know your way around the software it's very fast as all the steps are automated.

It's also works for every double column pdf, while with some bad pdf relying on the reflow function will mess up the text.
(The reflow displays first the first paragraph of the first column, then the first paragraph of the second column, then goes back to the first, etc. :chinscratch:)

Does anyone know a similar program to mac?

yehudin
02-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Do you happen to know how to do that using PDF lab?

Faenad
02-20-2009, 11:07 AM
No I don't have a mac. You should try it, seems that this program may allow you to do the same than PDFill.

ericshliao
03-20-2009, 10:27 AM
2. Set Page Scaling to "Tile Large Pages", set Tile Scale to 100% and overlap to 0

Although I don't know what this setting means, it does work. Thanks for the info.

amgoforth
04-01-2009, 02:17 PM

I tried this on a windows xp laptop. Followed the directions precisely and it did not work. :help:

amgoforth
04-01-2009, 05:11 PM
It must be because I'm running Tiger and you should be running Leopard.[/QUOTE]

I am running Tiger and don't have those two little boxes either.:help:

serpentium
04-01-2009, 05:16 PM
Hi,
im a mac user and i suggest you to read
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14340

If the case is to convert pdf with images, i use the GREATEST ONE
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12790
this way i convert all pdf to images with a software i downloaded from mobileread (i dont remember name) and with the manga program it converts all double page image to single page image and make a new pdf

owl123
04-03-2009, 03:21 AM
I tried this on a windows xp laptop. Followed the directions precisely and it did not work. :help:

Try changing paper size or scaling until you see a page cut in half in the preview area on your right.

amgoforth
04-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Try changing paper size or scaling until you see a page cut in half in the preview area on your right.

Thanks I will try that.

i-blis
08-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I had the same need but could not find a easy way to batch split double page PDFs. I ended writing this basic Perl script (http://snipplr.com/view/18924/split-crop-double-page-pdfs-in-two/). (Contrary to the "Tile" hack using Acrobat, it should preserve the text layer). Thought it may be useful to others ...

owl123
08-28-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks, i-blis. That's a great tool. Your application is so much faster than the Adobe trick. It's really good!

It'd be great to have it in .exe format so that more people could use it.

i-blis
08-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Nice hearing you found it useful.

I don't know how to convert it to a standalone binary for the Windows platform (perl2exe might be a way to go), I stick mostly to Unix-like systems.

It would be easier in my opinion to transform the script in a tiny webapp, for those who dislike the command line and / or do not have Perl installed.

I may modify the script to allow for custom cropping. If I do modify it, I'll post a link here.

anirudh215
12-07-2009, 04:07 AM
i-blis,
How do I use your script? I am using windows and need to cut PDFs in half.

frabjous
12-10-2009, 11:15 PM
i-blis,
How do I use your script? I am using windows and need to cut PDFs in half.

This is an old thread. I'm not sure i-blis will see this.

If I were you, I'd try PaperCrop (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677). (PDFRead and PDFLRF have similar capabilities too.)

NSqirrel
12-22-2009, 06:59 AM
I have the same problem converting a double page scan to two single pages times 70+.

Investigating, the best means I have found so far is called A-PDF Page Cut at www.a-pdf.com/page-cut/index.htm, which gives a good pictorial description of it's function. (98/NT4/Me/2000/XP/Vista) Being shareware, you can try it for free, or purchase for $27.

Seems to be very simple to use and very quick. At last a solution to my problem! http://www.mobileread.com/forums/images/smiliesadd1/thumbsup.gif

(BTW I am not connected to the s/w in any way!)

Tegan
04-17-2011, 09:13 PM
I ran that A-PDF Page Cut software on my double-paged PDF file, then loaded the result into Calibre and attempted to convert to Mobi. The result was a muddled mess. It appears that this program doesn't do a hard cut either.

Does any PDF editor do a hard cut instead of a visual crop so the double-page PDF can be converted to another format?

NSqirrel
04-18-2011, 10:58 AM
Tegan: Is your pdf made up of scanned images of pictures and text only or is it text in pdf format. (E.g. assuming document security settings allow it, can you select and copy any of the text?) The file I used it on was simply a load of scanned (jpeg I assume) pages.

Nick

Tegan
04-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Tegan: Is your pdf made up of scanned images of pictures and text only or is it text in pdf format. (E.g. assuming document security settings allow it, can you select and copy any of the text?) The file I used it on was simply a load of scanned (jpeg I assume) pages.

Nick

It appears to have text. The program appears to only do what Briss did. I got the same results with both.

NSqirrel
04-19-2011, 02:09 AM
An OCR app like Abbyy fine reader may help, but then it may introduce OCR errors. Other than that a screen shot of each page, using something like FSCapture is an alternative, be it very, very tedious.

Tegan
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
I finally got a PDF editor and cut and pasted the second page onto a new page for each one. It was very tedious, but at least I can read it on my Kindle 1 now, which I couldn't do before. Once I get a new Kindle I suspect Briss will become very useful to me, but until then I guess I will have to deal with such PDFs manually. Hopefully I won't have many.

Philosopher
09-03-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by joeanne12 View Post
Thanks

This comes YEARS after this thread. But I thought I'd add something - as I am currently looking for a solution for use on a PC.

I have been scanning my books for years. The way I had performed this reduction from the two-page scan to single pages was to create a batch process in Photoshop that divides the page 50% left and saves it - with a sequential page number and an ".l" - and then running a second batch that divides the page 50% right - and similarly saves it with an ".r"

So I get a directory of docX.001.l, docX.001.r, ... docX.n.l, docX.n.r - I then simply import the image files into Acrobat.

It takes some time - but with the batch processes (I haven't been able to create one that does both left and right with one process - but I am not that sophisticated in programming photoshop) it is fairly easy and painless. It will just take a while for a lengthy book to be split into twice as many image files and saved - and then imported into acrobat.

NOW - I am still looking to see if anyone has come up with a better way - and I am going to try ABBY FineReader. Have a copy - but never used it - will see if it can do it.

BUT I do have GOOD NEWS (Just not as complete as I wish). On the computers that I run unix (using Ubuntu) there is an application that does exactly this. Its just that I cannot remember the name. I do recall though that if you use Ubuntu's built in software installer and search for PDF - you will find it that way.

Hope this helps. I will post a new post as well so others might be able to benefit from this - or if others have new information.

Here were the other suggestions given to date - I haven't tried them yet:

I managed to get some readable documents by using PaperCrop (see http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31677)

laborg
Zealot

You could try BRISS ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/briss/ )

Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 AM #4
If you have Perl installed on your machine, you can use this script of mine.
http://snipplr.com/view/18924/split-crop-double-page-pdfs-in-two/

tanis101
09-26-2011, 04:07 PM
Good advices, thanks

markralf
02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Printing tiles of pages to a new pdf worked brilliantly thanks.
You have to spend a bit of time resorting the pages but heh!

The program "A-PDF Page Cut" also works but costs $35

Thanks for the help
Mark