Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-04-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Don Quixote?

Hi everyone,

I just ordered a Kindle and it will be here on Wednesday (yay!). I really wanted to get an ebook version of the Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote, since I'm about 1/4 way through the paper version. I see several other translations for download on Amazon, but not the Grossman one. Does anyone know where I might find it, or if it's even available?

Thanks!
Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Hi everyone,

I just ordered a Kindle and it will be here on Wednesday (yay!). I really wanted to get an ebook version of the Edith Grossman translation of Don Quixote, since I'm about 1/4 way through the paper version. I see several other translations for download on Amazon, but not the Grossman one. Does anyone know where I might find it, or if it's even available?

Thanks!
Joanne
Congratulatons on your purchase, and I hope you are as happy with your Kindle as the rest of us are......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Joanne
I can't help you with your question, but why did you choose the Edith Grossman translation? I ask out of curiosity, as Don Quixote is on my TBR pile, and best-translations-to-English always seem to be point of contention amongst English scholars of non-English works.

Oh, yeah...and, welcome!

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hi Marc!

Thanks for the welcome! I love Don Quixote, and have read a couple of different translations. While I still believe that DQ is one of the most difficult books to accurately translate while still capturing the essence of the original work (primarily due to Cervantes' use of humor and colloquialisms), I've found the Grossman translation to be hands down the best. She has translated for a number of Latin American authors, most notably Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Mario Vargas Llosa. You can read more about her and see what else she's translated on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Grossman

--Joanne
Old 08-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
My bet is on not available. I checked the Harper Collins website since they published the translation, and their own site only lists paperback and hardcover, no ebook. Sorry.
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
PsyDocJoanne

Hi texasnightowl,

Thanks! I'm still learning how to try and locate ebooks efficiently...it never even occurred to me to check the publisher's website, I had just been scouring ebooktailers with no luck.

It's unfortunate it's not available, but maybe someday soon Harper Collins will get on the ebook bandwagon!

Joanne
Old 08-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Hi texasnightowl,

Thanks! I'm still learning how to try and locate ebooks efficiently...it never even occurred to me to check the publisher's website, I had just been scouring ebooktailers with no luck.

It's unfortunate it's not available, but maybe someday soon Harper Collins will get on the ebook bandwagon!

Joanne
HarperCollins does sell eboosk. They have a link on their main website and a separate site dedicated to ebooks. They just don't have a large selection yet.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #8
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Hi Marc!

Thanks for the welcome! I love Don Quixote, and have read a couple of different translations. While I still believe that DQ is one of the most difficult books to accurately translate while still capturing the essence of the original work (primarily due to Cervantes' use of humor and colloquialisms), I've found the Grossman translation to be hands down the best. She has translated for a number of Latin American authors, most notably Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Mario Vargas Llosa. You can read more about her and see what else she's translated on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edith_Grossman

--Joanne
it's available now.
That said, I think the Rutherford (Penguin) translation is better
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Harper-Collins web site almost certainly is selling a Secure Mobipocket formatted version, which is not directly usable on a Kindle. If they use the usual Mobipocket DRM server, you would have to get a different PID (Mobipocket won't accept Kindle PIDs), get the book, and remove the DRM. Not very practical for most people.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Harper-Collins web site almost certainly is selling a Secure Mobipocket formatted version
The Kindle version of the Harler-Collins is ASIN: B001R1LCKS (search Amazon for B001R1LCKS).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I assumed the original poster had searched for it, since she said she could not find it on Amazon. I just searched for "Edith Grossman", and it popped right up.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I assumed the original poster had searched for it, since she said she could not find it on Amazon. I just searched for "Edith Grossman", and it popped right up.
The HC site says it was added mid feb.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
susan_cassidy
Wizard

Oh, yeah. I didn't realize this was an old thread, recently added to.