View Full Version : MobileRead on mobile devices

acidzebra
07-31-2008, 04:15 AM
Is it ironic that MobileRead looks TERRIBLE when browsed on mobile devices? Or is there a special /mobile URL that I am unaware of?

I tried viewing it on my Blackberry 8820, then a generic Dell PDA, and some other devices I have kicking around. In each case, the page starts with a whopping big white space, fonts and layout are a mess, in general, it is not readable.

Am I weird for wanting to see MobileRead on a mobile device?

Alexander Turcic
07-31-2008, 04:34 AM
Am I weird for wanting to see MobileRead on a mobile device?

No, of course you are not!! ;) We are very well aware of this deficit and we're hoping to introduce our mobile site in a couple of days. :thumbsup:

acidzebra
07-31-2008, 05:25 AM
Cool! If you need testers, I'd be happy to help out.

Alexander Turcic
07-31-2008, 05:36 AM
Excellent. I'll contact you in the days when we move the project to our live system.

bbusybookworm
07-31-2008, 08:43 AM
I'll Second the request for The Mobile version, and offer to help in beta testing.

I've been out and about the last couple of weeks and been dependent on browsing the site and forum from my KJAM PDA Phone.

While the forums, when switched to the Mobi style look resonably ok, the main site is a bit of pain.

And one thing I've noticed is that when switched to Mobi style, when I try to browse back to the site, I just keep getting error messages, until I clear out the cookies. I don't know whether that is Pocket IE acting up or the cookies themselves

=X=
07-31-2008, 01:24 PM
This post is too funny and timely. I too have found it Ironic that it looks terrible on my PDA.

Alex if you need another tester I'll volunteer too. I have a SmartPhone using the Opera/IE browser.

=X=

Alexander Turcic
07-31-2008, 02:19 PM
The "Mobi" skin you tried is an artifact from the past. I haven't removed it because I know some people depended on it even though it's far from optimal.

I promise what you'll see next is a lot better and won't cause any cookie issues.

MickeyC
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Count me in as a tester. I'll bring it up on my iPhone

Alexander Turcic
08-05-2008, 06:34 AM
Update: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27369

Looking forward to your feedback! ;)

MickeyC
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Hmmm, I brought the site up on my iPhone and it seemed to work fine although I now notice the reply I posted didn't make it. Will try again

MickeyC
08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
this is my 3rd attempt to post fm my iPhone

HarryT
08-10-2008, 04:56 AM
I find the "standard" site is perfectly usable on my iPod Touch in landscape orientation.

Alexander Turcic
08-11-2008, 01:23 PM
I heard the iPhone does a superb job rendering "classic" webpages. Our mobile edition is in particular useful for devices with limited browsing capabilities (like my BlackBerry Curve), or for people who have to pay for transmitted bandwidth (we try to keep the page sizes in the mobile edition very small).

tompe
08-20-2008, 06:09 PM
The mobile site works really well on my N810 and is much faster then the standard site. But I find it hard to hit the goto first unread link. Would it be possible to make it larger or place it some distance from the thread link? I also think more threads could be listed on the page but maybe that is configureable.

tompe
08-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I heard the iPhone does a superb job rendering "classic" webpages. Our mobile edition is in particular useful for devices with limited browsing capabilities (like my BlackBerry Curve), or for people who have to pay for transmitted bandwidth (we try to keep the page sizes in the mobile edition very small).

I am travelling now and writing this from the BookPeople bookshop in Austin and for these kind of free networks the mobile site is really much better.

And I suspect it might be faster at home also since the loading of all images can be irritatingly slow.

Alexander Turcic
08-21-2008, 05:18 AM
The mobile site works really well on my N810 and is much faster then the standard site. But I find it hard to hit the goto first unread link. Would it be possible to make it larger or place it some distance from the thread link?

Possible a user option. I see that for touch screen users it could be difficult to use. :chinscratch:

I also think more threads could be listed on the page but maybe that is configureable.

Definitely a user option. We are still sorting out some rough edges of the option system, but it should be added very soon.

cyan
10-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Has anyone noticed that the number of replies on the mobile version is one off?

The regular website starts the number of replies at 0 which is correct since there were no replies.

The mobile site seems to treat the initial post as a reply of 1.

bbusybookworm
11-01-2008, 03:26 PM
I'm enjoying using the Mobile version, But as I've been using it more and more, I've run into a snag.

Is there a way to subscribe to a thread in the mobile version without posting to it?

I Like to subscribe to thread I find interesting and want to keep track of, but don't want to answer at that point in time.

Another Little niggle I've run into is that I often accidentally hit the logout button when trying to tap one of the nearby buttons. Would it be possible to add a confirmation step so that if you hit it by accident you can quickly go back.

Tapping out log in details on a mobile device again and again can be a bit of a pain.

pilotbob
11-01-2008, 04:05 PM
Is there a way to subscribe to a thread in the mobile version without posting to it?

At the top of ever thread page is the "Thread Tools" link that has a "subscribe to this thread" selection.

BOb

bbusybookworm
11-01-2008, 05:00 PM
At the top of ever thread page is the "Thread Tools" link that has a "subscribe to this thread" selection.

BOb

I'm aware of this option on the normal site as I do use it pretty regularly.

I was wondering whether or not it was available on the MOBILE site.

There is no thread tools option, etc there.