View Full Version : Suggestion

desertgrandma
07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
One of the most interesting aspects, for me, of this site, is seeing where everyone is from. How cool to be talking to someone from Australia, the UK, Wales, India, Spain, etc. However, I notice a lot of the new ones, and some of the older subscribers, don't have their locations listed under their names. Is there anyway you can make sure, when people join, that we see where they are from? Maybe some don't want their exact location, and I can understand that, just the country would be helpful.

Just a thought. :)

RickyMaveety
07-19-2008, 10:30 PM
I like the idea too. On another forum we actually started a GoogeEarth page, with everyone putting a pin in the globe where we were located. (Of course, Google's images being a bit behind the times ... my pin is right smack in a big patch of dirt.)

daffy4u
07-19-2008, 10:34 PM
I think there's a Frapr map for MobileRead. I've only seen it once.

vivaldirules
07-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Here it is: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/frappr.php

desertgrandma
07-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I think there's a Frapr map for MobileRead. I've only seen it once.

yep, been there done that.........

daffy4u
07-19-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not insane, yay!

desertgrandma
07-19-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm not insane, yay!

Of course you aren'! You're just a little 'cuckoo-cuckoo! :D:D

RickyMaveety
07-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Here it is: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/frappr.php

Huh ... the only problem with that is it won't let me stick in a pin where I actually am. The closest it will come is about twenty miles away.

Maybe that's why I like the Google map so much ... you can put in latitude and longitude. My address isn't on most maps ... not even the most updated GPS maps. And definitely not on the Frappr Map. :(

daffy4u
07-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Huh ... the only problem with that is it won't let me stick in a pin where I actually am. The closest it will come is about twenty miles away.

Maybe that's why I like the Google map so much ... you can put in latitude and longitude. My address isn't on most maps ... not even the most updated GPS maps. And definitely not on the Frappr Map. :(

Do you really want crazy people like me knowing exactly where you live?

desertgrandma
07-19-2008, 11:22 PM

exactly why I thought perhaps just the state/country would do....
:p:p:p

DaleDe
07-20-2008, 01:13 AM

Well the crazy people around here are crazy in a good way. I list my city and no one has shown up yet.

Dale

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 07:40 AM
ricky : if it's any consolation to you, i tried to add my pin to the map, and i'm pretty sure i ended up in texas. i couldn't tell you why, i didn't understand a thing.

actually, now that i think about it, maybe that is part of the plot by texas to take over the world, starting with mr... that makes sense...

(resistance is useless !)

vivaldirules
07-20-2008, 09:19 AM
ricky : if it's any consolation to you, i tried to add my pin to the map, and i'm pretty sure i ended up in texas. i couldn't tell you why, i didn't understand a thing.

actually, now that i think about it, maybe that is part of the plot by texas to take over the world, starting with mr... that makes sense...

Hey, let's meet for a beer! Maybe I'll let you in on our plans - so long as you don't tell everyone about them.

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 09:24 AM
well, my pin could definitely meet your pin for a beer, easily ! you just tell it the time and place. it is already there. i promise, it knows how to keep a secret : you can tell it all about the secret plot.

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 11:48 AM

Duck .... there are few people on the planet crazier than me. Just ask my neighbors.

And, sure ... why not?? Anyone wants to come out to the middle of absolutely nowhere and visit a crazy cat lady .... come on out!! I'll even clean up the guest room for ya!!

Bring your own bathing suit and beer, I've got enough cat allergy meds for everyone.

Only rule ... no shooting the wildlife; in or out of season. Only two rules ... no shooting the wildlife;in or out of season, and no eating all the hostesses' chocolate without replacing it. Only three rules no shooting the wildlife;in or out of season, and no eating all the hostesses' chocolate without replacing it, and put the toilet seat DOWN when you are done. Amongst our rules are .....

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 11:50 AM
Well the crazy people around here are crazy in a good way. I list my city and no one has shown up yet.

Dale

Hmmm .... that might be because YOU CORRECT PEOPLE WHEN THEY ARE PONTIFICATING and pop their little balloons :rofl:

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 11:50 AM

Eventually everybody ends up in Texas. :(

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey, let's meet for a beer! Maybe I'll let you in on our plans - so long as you don't tell everyone about them.

Now see, VR .... I was actually thinking of driving down to Houston to drag you and the missus out to dinner.

But I bet you wouldn't let me in on your plans ... would ya??? ;)

daffy4u
07-20-2008, 11:52 AM

Dale

...yet. http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/DebInVenice/ninja.gif

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 12:04 PM
...yet. http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n301/DebInVenice/ninja.gif

be afraid.

(pfff... :p)

daffy4u
07-20-2008, 12:07 PM
be afraid.

(pfff... :p)

Be *very* afraid. GPS... locked and loaded.

Edit: Grass Valley cam (http://www.downtowngrassvalley.com/webcam.html). How cute is this place!?

jerryleejr
07-20-2008, 12:51 PM

If you could find me more power to ya!

desertgrandma
07-20-2008, 12:55 PM
If you could find me more power to ya!

Never underestimate the power of the cat........ :p

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Be *very* afraid. GPS... locked and loaded.

Edit: Grass Valley cam (http://www.downtowngrassvalley.com/webcam.html). How cute is this place!?

Actually, it looks a lot like Llano and Marble Falls (in Texas).

jerryleejr
07-20-2008, 01:04 PM
well, my pin could definitely meet your pin for a beer, easily ! you just tell it the time and place. it is already there. i promise, it knows how to keep a secret : you can tell it all about the secret plot.
Yeah and the next thing ya know you have a bunch of little staples running around, and you end up next to the blue fish!
Duck .... there are few people on the planet crazier than me. Just ask my neighbors.

And, sure ... why not?? Anyone wants to come out to the middle of absolutely nowhere and visit a crazy cat lady .... come on out!! I'll even clean up the guest room for ya!!

Bring your own bathing suit and beer, I've got enough cat allergy meds for everyone.

Only rule ... no shooting the wildlife; in or out of season. Only two rules ... no shooting the wildlife;in or out of season, and no eating all the hostesses' chocolate without replacing it. Only three rules no shooting the wildlife;in or out of season, and no eating all the hostesses' chocolate without replacing it, and put the toilet seat DOWN when you are done. Amongst our rules are .....

Ricky I think I have been by your house Middle of nowhere texas I bought a T-shirt while I was there.

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Yeah and the next thing ya know you have a bunch of little staples running around, and you end up next to the blue fish!

Ricky I think I have been by your house Middle of nowhere texas I bought a T-shirt while I was there.

Yup .... I think they sell those on the road leading into this little valley.

:D

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 01:08 PM
hee :p mrs. vr might not like that very much... maybe we should cancel the whole thing. i wouldn't want to get vr into any trouble !

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 01:13 PM
Hey .... how do I get rid of an extra pin in the map??? It's got two down for me. :(

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 01:14 PM
well if one of them ends up in paris france by accident, you can just transfer it over to me instead. :rolleyes:

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 01:16 PM
well if one of them ends up in paris france by accident, you can just transfer it over to me instead. :rolleyes:

Ha!! Got rid of it somehow .... but, wouldn't that be nice?? If we could just move our pins on a map ... and be there??

I'm still a teensy bit miffed that I can't just drag and drop the thing to where I am. But, I suppose ten miles off isn't too bad.

jerryleejr
07-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey .... how do I get rid of an extra pin in the map??? It's got two down for me. :(

See They are multiplying already!!

JJ

jerryleejr
07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Never underestimate the power of the cat........ :p

It's not the cat I am worried about... Did someone just quack???

JJ

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 01:31 PM
The problem is that while the road going across the ridge and coming down into the valley is shown, the road my house is on .... isn't. So, I can't just punch in an address. But ... for the record, my house is NOT over by the Slick Rock Golf Course, it's near the Sandy Creek Bend in Lake LBJ.

The boat house and pool are on the creek bend and my house is about a 3 minute walk down the road.

Made my own map ... see??

desertgrandma
07-20-2008, 01:32 PM
It's not the cat I am worried about... Did someone just quack???

JJ

Well, they DO swim better than cats.....;)

jerryleejr
07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
The problem is that while the road going across the ridge and coming down into the valley is shown, the road my house is on .... isn't. So, I can't just punch in an address. But ... for the record, my house is NOT over by the Slick Rock Golf Course, it's near the Sandy Creek Bend in Lake LBJ.

The boat house and pool are on the creek bend and my house is about a 3 minute walk down the road.

Made my own map ... see??

Great I will be there the 2nd tuesday of next week!

jerryleejr
07-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, they DO swim better than cats.....;)

She would need to borrow Zelda's Jetpack to find me!

JJ

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Great I will be there the 2nd tuesday of next week!

Perfect!! That's the night we have our party!! Wait .... there's more than one Tuesday in a week??? :blink:

Sparrow
07-20-2008, 03:34 PM

Paris, Texas

You are Wim Wenders, and I claim my 5 Euros. :p

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Paris, Texas

hee ! :p

so i guess my cover is blown now... here's your 5 euros !

(nice onion meta-reference by the way ! i can't remember just now the correct response but i totally get that joke... :rolleyes:)

kind of amazing it took that long for anyone to say anything...

daffy4u
07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
She would need to borrow Zelda's Jetpack to find me!

JJ
Have you noticed I have wings?

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Paris, Texas

Oh .... duhhhhhhh. (Ricky stands there intent on picking her nose and trying to look a little smarter. She finds this is impossible to do while picking her nose.)

slayda
07-20-2008, 04:55 PM

Ricky, how close are you to Llano? I have a cousin living there. Her husband has "Used Record" shop in town.

slayda
07-20-2008, 04:57 PM

Was it in Paris, Texas?:rofl:

Edit: Late again. I was out!

zelda_pinwheel
07-20-2008, 05:14 PM
Was it in Paris, Texas?:rofl:
too late ! see :
Paris, Texas

RickyMaveety
07-20-2008, 05:39 PM
Ricky, how close are you to Llano? I have a cousin living there. Her husband has "Used Record" shop in town.

I go to Llano all the time. I guess it's about a 25 minute drive down 71. Not very far at all. Some of the folks who come to our Tuesday parties live in Llano (one couple has a shop right over by the Courthouse and live near there too).

I'm going to have to give your cousins a call. :D

DaleDe
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM

I spent a few years in Texas and yes there is some resemblance except this is a Gold mining town founded in 1850's and it is at 2400 feet above sea level which is not like Texas.

Dale

RickyMaveety
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I spent a few years in Texas and yes there is some resemblance except this is a Gold mining town founded in 1850's and it is at 2400 feet above sea level which is not like Texas.

Dale

Yes and no .... Llano and Marble falls are quarry towns and only at about 1100 feet above sea level ... but then, this part of Texas isn't geographically like most parts of Texas. In fact, with all the oak trees, it really does remind me more of California. (And I lived in California for forty years.)

pshrynk
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Yes and no .... Llano and Marble falls are quarry towns and only at about 1100 feet above sea level ... but then, this part of Texas isn't geographically like most parts of Texas. In fact, with all the oak trees, it really does remind me more of California. (And I lived in California for forty years.)
You should get over to Lost Maples some time. Beautiful area in the Hill Country.

AJ Starr
08-15-2009, 12:30 PM
I was checking out the frapr map and when I zoomed, I lost the images of the map, and now I can't get them back.

Is anyone else having this problem?

It would be great if more people put their locations, so we could see if there were enough members in an area for a meeting.

Moderators: please note, I searched for this thread and did not start a new one. :thinking:

AJ

GeoffC
08-16-2009, 06:29 AM
You should get over to Lost Maples some time. Beautiful area in the Hill Country.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: sorry - I read that as "Lost Marbles" ..... :smack::rofl::rofl: