View Full Version : E-Book looks horrible

Jules
07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
I built a book using mobipocket creator, and I opened the prc file it created in mobipocket reader and the book looks horrible. There are crazy symbols, page breaks, etc. The whole thing is a mess. HELP!!

Elsi
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
Jules -- I'll be glad to try and help. Can you send me the original file that you used and the MobiPocket file that was the output? You can send to my GMail address of ******

Update: e-mail address sent via PM

Jules
07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Sure. My original file- I took a pdf and converted it to a word doc and used that. I'll send you the pdf, the word doc, and the prc file. Thanks

Jules
07-16-2008, 12:34 PM
I tried email the files to you and the delivery failed due to an unfound email address. Is your address *************

HarryT
07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Does your converted Word doc look OK? Unfortunately, PDF files often convert very poorly indeed, due to the fact that that they don't contain any "structural" information about text, such as paragraphs, sentences, or even words.

Jules
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
my word doc looks terrible as well

daffy4u
07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Is the original pdf mostly text? If so, you can send it to Amazon for conversion and it should work pretty well.

DaleDe
07-16-2008, 01:55 PM

What did you use to convert to Word? There are many choices. While most formatting will be lost one way is to simply save the PDF as a TXT file.

Dale

Jules
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I used DocSmartz PDF to Word Converter. I had tried before to submit a different book directly to Amazon, but there were quite a few problems with page breaks, which is why I was hoping mobipocket creator would take care of that.

HarryT
07-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Well, that's why the Mobi version looks bad - you can't expect a dreadful Word file to convert to a beautiful Mobi book, can you?

Unfortunately there is, in general, NO good way of converting PDF to anything else simply because, as I said before, the information is simply not there in a PDF file to allow it to be successfully converted. PDF is the worst possible choice of starting format to convert to anything, unfortunately.

JSWolf
07-16-2008, 02:12 PM
If the PDF is LEGAL, PM me and I'll give you my email address and you can send me the PDF and I can convert it using Adobe Acrobat Pro 8. It won't be perfect. But, you might find it better then your conversion. I'll convert it to Word DOC or RTF and HTML and send it back and you can proceed from there.

Jules
07-16-2008, 02:12 PM
OK. well unfortunately, I don't really have any other options. Our original book text file was created in a program called Adobe InDesign. I exported that as a pdf, but I could see if it gives me any other options for exporting. If not, then I guess I can't use this book. right?

JSWolf
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM
InDesign should allow you to output it as something you should be able to use. PDF is a bad idea when the result is going to be for the Kindle. In fact, PDF is a bad idea if you don't actually need it.

Jules
07-16-2008, 02:21 PM
so, should i try exporting the indesign file as something other than a pdf, or do you want me to email you my pdf?

Patricia
07-16-2008, 02:26 PM
I have converted a fair number of books and I've noticed that every single pdf conversion I've ever done has caused problems.
I usually have a couple of them on my desktop and spend the odd half-hour working on them when I've nothing better to do. But it can easily take 20-30 hours' work to get a well-fromatted novel out of a pdf file.

JSWolf
07-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I find that you need to take the conversion and compare it to the PDF to get it right. Otherwise there will be errors in the conversion.

pilotbob
07-16-2008, 02:32 PM
I have with the Able PDF convertor to convert to word, and the results have always been prefect. Even converted to RTF and viewed in Word they were perfect. But, when I put the RTF into the Sony reader it was a mess. I think this is because Able is reproducing the page pased formating in the DOC/RTF file... so three are line feed/carriage returns at the end of the 8.5inch line which doesn't translate well to text or .lrf.

BOb

Patricia
07-16-2008, 02:48 PM
You should be able to sort that out by running Stingo's macro on the Word file.

pilotbob
07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
You should be able to sort that out by running Stingo's macro on the Word file.

Really? Now you tell me. Although I don't think the Able stuff will run on my Mac... i've yet to by a VM product. I'll have to give it a wack on my PC... but I'm not sure if I can install the Able demo again

BOb

Jules
07-16-2008, 04:04 PM
i was just looking at my export options in indesign, and my only choices are pdf, jpg, and xml

Elsi
07-16-2008, 05:49 PM
I tried email the files to you and the delivery failed due to an unfound email address. Is your address ********* That's the correct e-mail address.

Patricia
07-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Might I suggest that you edit your post and remove it in a day or so, Elsi? That way you will avoid a lot of spam.

Elsi
07-16-2008, 05:53 PM
Might I suggest that you edit your post and remove it in a day or so, Elsi? That way you will avoid a lot of spam. Indeed -- which is why I wrote my address somewhat cryptically in the first message. I may need Jules or a moderator to remove my address from Jules' post as well

Patricia
07-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Just PM whichever mod(s) happen to be about when you want it gone, and we'll see to it if necessary.

Elsi
07-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Just PM whichever mod(s) happen to be about when you want it gone, and we'll see to it if necessary. Thanks -- I'll give Jules time to see my reply & then purge the address.

JSWolf
07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
i was just looking at my export options in indesign, and my only choices are pdf, jpg, and xml
Export to XML and then try loading it into Book Designer and see what happens. You can also try Calibre and use html2lrf as well.

JSWolf
07-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks -- I'll give Jules time to see my reply & then purge the address.
Why not PM him your email address. Then you can remove it from this thread.

Elsi
07-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Why not PM him your email address. Then you can remove it from this thread. Sometimes the simplest solutions are hard to think of.

Thanks -- done.