View Full Version : Creator The em dash

Argel
07-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Does anyone have a simple html file that successfully creates em dashes using Creator?

I have scoured the threads that mention em dashes but they are too obscure for my limited brain. One example of the correct html might just get me there...

HarryT
07-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Simply use the HTML entity "—". Should work just fine.

Argel
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Simply use the HTML entity "—". Should work just fine.

Thanks for that but if I knew how to work it into the HTML I wouldn't be so confused. One example is worth a thousand words...

Elsi
07-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks for that but if I knew how to work it into the HTML I wouldn't be so confused. One example is worth a thousand words...

<p>This is a paragraph that needs&mdash;just for a while&mdash;an em dash</p>

Update -- I was going to show how it renders, but I can't find out which tags this forum uses to allow HTML.

If you're working with a text file that has used double hyphens as a substitute for the em dash ( -- ) then you can do a "change all" action in your editors to change the -- to &mdash;

JSWolf
07-11-2008, 07:56 PM
What does work is to use @#151; as the em dash. It is what Book Designer outputs and Mobipocket Publisher handles it just fine.

P.S. replace the @ with an & as the forum software converts it to an em dash so I cannot show you properly.

nrapallo
07-12-2008, 01:01 AM
<p>This is a paragraph that needs&mdash;just for a while&mdash;an em dash</p>

Update -- I was going to show how it renders, but I can't find out which tags this forum uses to allow HTML.

When I need to use an emdash in the text of a message here, I use "& #8212" (without the quotes and without space after the &). The forum software will then automatically convert it to an emdash character, like this:

<p>This is a paragraph that needs& #8212;just for a while& #8212;an em dash</p>
becomes
<p>This is a paragraph that needs—just for a while—an em dash</p>

This will work for other html codes like endash (& #8211 = –), bullet (& #8226; = •), etc. See the special characters wiki for the other codes.

jessicapits
07-12-2008, 03:04 AM
You can use the HTML entity "&mdash".

www.slashedpricetag.com

Argel
07-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Brilliant, thanks all.

nrapallo
07-12-2008, 09:45 AM
You can use the HTML entity "&mdash".

www.slashedpricetag.com

:eek: Don't forget the semicolon at the end, i.e. HTML entity "&mdash;". ;)