View Full Version : Spanish books

robinoz
07-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi

I read Spanish and have converted a few classics from Gutenberg using Calibre. They are not very good yet (ie the formatting could be a bit better and the indexing etc) and need some more work but I wondered if there was interest in Spanish books to upload?

da1andonlysupa
08-01-2008, 07:18 PM
yup. i would like to see some stuff in spanish.

Jellby
08-02-2008, 12:34 PM
I have uploaded some books in Spanish in PDF format (9x12cm screen size), look in the "Other Books" forum.

zelda_pinwheel
08-12-2008, 09:53 AM
a little suggestion, when uploading books in other languages, add a tag specifying the language to make it easier to find. for instance, for french language books, i add tags for "franšais" and "french language" ; for spanish language books you could add "espanol" and "spanish language". since you can search by tag, this makes it easier to find all books in spanish.

Sara-Louise
09-28-2008, 12:54 AM
I am trying to learn Spanish on my own, and especially want to find Spanish language books to upload to my Kindle. The only format it will support is non-DRM (unprotected) Mobipocket (either .MOBI or .PRC). If I knew how, I'd download PDFs and convert them, but I'm no computer whiz, so I have to leave that to others.

I do hope that the tag "espanol" (sorry about the lack of tilde) will be used increasingly to help people locate books in Spanish.

HarryT
09-28-2008, 04:32 AM
PG has lots of books in Spanish. Why not convert some of those for your Kindle? Dead easy to do with "MobiPocket Creator".

Jellby
09-28-2008, 06:06 AM
I do hope that the tag "espanol" (sorry about the lack of tilde) will be used increasingly to help people locate books in Spanish.

I've uploaded some Spanish books (in PDF, though), and I used the tag "spanish".

HarryT
09-28-2008, 01:18 PM
I've uploaded some Spanish books (in PDF, though), and I used the tag "spanish".

That's absolutely correct; we ask people to tag non-English books with the ENGLISH name of the language.

zelda_pinwheel
09-28-2008, 01:25 PM
That's absolutely correct; we ask people to tag non-English books with the ENGLISH name of the language.
that's partially correct ; i think it's best to tag the non-english language books with the english name of the language AND the name of the language in that language (for instance, "french" and "franšais").

a little tip to make this easier : the first person to use a specific tag creates an entry in the tag database (or whatever manages the tags) ; after that, typing in the first few letters of the tag will give you a little blue box with suggestions of possible matches, immediately under the tag entry box, and you can then click on the right tag to select it.

i recommend using tags which already exist whenever possible ; it makes searching easier, brings back more pertinent results, and it also makes tagging easier (not to worry if you don't have the "tilde" character on your keyboard : once that tag has been created you won't have to type it yourself, just click on it in the list of suggestions).

zelda_pinwheel
09-28-2008, 01:33 PM
update : i've created the tag "espa˝ol" (with tilde) and added it to the 10 or so books i found already tagged "spanish".

now, if you type "esp" in the tag edit box, the "espa˝ol" tag is automatically proposed, and you can just click it.

i do think it's important to add tags in both languages for non-english language books ; english speakers wanting a book in french might naturally search for "french" ; but a french person looking for a book in french would more naturally search for "franšais" and if the books are only tagged "french" might find nothing. this would be a shame.

Jellby
09-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Fair point, I've added "franšais" and "italiano" to the French and Italian books I've uploaded.

zelda_pinwheel
09-28-2008, 02:42 PM
grazie jellby !!