View Full Version : Creator Table of Contents

Nate the great
07-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Has anyone figured out how to auto create a TOC? I do know how to make one manually, but would much prefer to automate the process.

I'm trying to make omnibus collections of all the short stories I have by each author. Since I bought the ebooks from Fictionwise, I can extract high quality HTML files from MSReader LIT.

I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks.

Elsi
07-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I took an HTML file from Project Gutenberg -- as is -- and imported it into MobiPocket Creator. This file had the normal HTML Header-1 {h1} tag used for each chapter title.

I clicked on the "Table of Contents" menu entry in MPC and then the "Add a Table of Contents" button. Entered "h1" into the first field in the wizard and clicked the "Update" button.

It looked like this:

http://www.elsi123.net/drop-it/MPC-TOC.gif

And then I clicked the "Build" icon. This is what showed up in MobiPocket Reader:

http://www.elsi123.net/drop-it/TOC.gif

And the TOC entries all work.

So, the secret is to use a specific HTML tag -- or tag attribute -- at each location in the book that you would like a TOC entry for.

Nate the great
07-06-2008, 06:32 PM
Thank you. Before I had been using the tag "title" (which is in the file header, not body). It was making the list, but not any links. Now I know why.

Thank you.

SeaWolf
07-07-2008, 12:13 AM
I haven't tried this, but might Creator also take style info from a Word document with proper headings as well and build a TOC that way, in much the same fashion?

Elsi
07-07-2008, 02:05 AM
I haven't tried this, but might Creator also take style info from a Word document with proper headings as well and build a TOC that way, in much the same fashion? I don't do Word. I know that you can save a Word document as HTML, but it's really poor HTML.

Argel
07-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I don't do Word. I know that you can save a Word document as HTML, but it's really poor HTML.

It may be poor HTML but I've found that it works fine with Creator.

I use Word to put a bit formatting into poorly formatted html public domain books - simple stuff like chapters beginning on a new page. So if your aim is the final mobi format book probably no need to worry too much about the finer points of the HTML file.

And yes, styling a para as, say, Heading 1 in Word attaches a tag (in this case h1) so you should be able to generate a TOC.