View Full Version : Anyone found an ebook with which MobiDeDRM 0.01 doesn't work?

SeTeVeElCarton
06-19-2008, 07:36 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post at Mobileread so big hello!

Just out of curiosity. I couldn't find one in my 200+ ebooks library which doesn't.
Looking at changelog 0.02 corrects DH compression issues but I've got several of these that decrypt OK with 0.01. Au contraire, every single DH compressed ebook I have makes 0.02 to fail miserabily...

Incidentally every non DH ebook that works with 0.02 does so because the WORD getTraylingDataEntries is is trying to perform its wild bit rotating is set to zero, so gTDE is not executed at all.

So I'm very interested in determining wich kind of ebook really needs 0.02 if any at all. If any one has one of these, please tell me which title is it and where you bought it. I'll buy it and try to look further into this mistery.

:thanks:

TallMomof2
06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Yes, but I won't post the titles here. There were 2 ebooks by the same author that didn't work. The first quarter or so of the book was missing. The entire book was present in the DRMed versions. I used all the versions of MobiDeDRM with the same result.

SeTeVeElCarton
06-20-2008, 04:50 AM
hmm.. seems as an unrelated problem but I'd like to look into it too. Maybe its more related to where you bought these ebooks.

Thanks anyway.

qupman
06-30-2008, 04:53 PM
Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-45 ISBN: 9781400043729, by Max Hastings. Purchased from diesel-ebooks.com.

This particular e-book resists all attempts to remove DRM through the use of both MobiDeDRM 0.01 and 0.02.

Both versions output a file of roughly the same size as the original (1.5 MB), but both "stripped" versions are still encrypted, apparently, although they cannot be viewed with the device the original file was downloaded for -- nor with any other device or application.

Please note that the poster of this message lives in a country where removing DRM, or attempting to do so, is not illegal. Also, my sole purpose in attempting to remove the DRM is to use my legally purchased e-book on various legally owned devices, now and especially in the future. A future where my current e-reader may have broken down and the diesel-ebooks.com company may be bankrupt.

pdurrant
07-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Have you tried with my hacked version of the 0.02 script? Details of the changes are given at

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=202684&postcount=76

Paul

Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-45 ISBN: 9781400043729, by Max Hastings. Purchased from diesel-ebooks.com.

This particular e-book resists all attempts to remove DRM through the use of both MobiDeDRM 0.01 and 0.02.

Both versions output a file of roughly the same size as the original (1.5 MB), but both "stripped" versions are still encrypted, apparently, although they cannot be viewed with the device the original file was downloaded for -- nor with any other device or application.

JSWolf
07-29-2008, 06:09 AM

Please note that the poster of this message lives in a country where removing DRM, or attempting to do so, is not illegal. Also, my sole purpose in attempting to remove the DRM is to use my legally purchased e-book on various legally owned devices, now and especially in the future. A future where my current e-reader may have broken down and the diesel-ebooks.com company may be bankrupt.
I did purchse a Mobipocket eBook that required a username/password to be able to be viewed. MobiDeDEM 0.01 and 0.02 did not work to remove the DRM. Someone suggested I try using Mobipocket Reader to send it to another device and then use that copy to remove the DRM. I sent it to my SD card in my card reader and the resulting copy didn't need the username/password any longer. So MobiDeDRM was then able to remove the DRM.

Argel
08-01-2008, 04:13 AM
I have a dictionary file which appears to process normally - though it takes ages - but the resultant outfiles crashes Mobi reader.

pdurrant
08-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Have you tried with my new hack to 0.02? Details of the hack is here:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=222142&postcount=125

regards,

Paul

I have a dictionary file which appears to process normally - though it takes ages - but the resultant outfiles crashes Mobi reader.

Argel
08-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Have you tried with my new hack to 0.02?

Thanks Paul, you're a scholar and a gentleman. ;)

I patched Version 2 and ran the aforementioned script. It ran (interminably, it's a big file) as before and the resultant file still crashed Reader BUT it now didn't throw an error in mobihuff, so the protection must have gone. So I have an html version, which is interesting but useless but no DRM-free version that Reader will touch.

It's a challenge rather than a necessity. As I said originally, it's a dictionary and the original is pukka and I can authorize it in all the places I need it. It's just that I've come to loathe DRM so much that it offends me to have protected files in the library. A previous dictionary was freed up without any problem but so far it seems this one has to stay in chains.

Thanks again.

wallcraft
08-01-2008, 01:28 PM
I patched Version 2 and ran the aforementioned script. It ran (interminably, it's a big file) as before and the resultant file still crashed Reader BUT it now didn't throw an error in mobihuff, so the protection must have gone. So I have an html version, which is interesting but useless but no DRM-free version that Reader will touch. To state the obvious: since the original DRM-ridden version worked, there must still be something wrong with mobidedrm.

Argel
08-05-2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks Paul, you're a scholar and a gentleman. ;)

I patched Version 2 and ran the aforementioned script. It ran (interminably, it's a big file) as before and the resultant file still crashed Reader BUT it now didn't throw an error in mobihuff, so the protection must have gone. So I have an html version, which is interesting but useless but no DRM-free version that Reader will touch.

Subsequently ran the script with the patch which takes it to v04 and the book in question was successfully processed.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

pdurrant
08-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Oh, good news. Thanks for letting us know.

Paul

Subsequently ran the script with the patch which takes it to v04 and the book in question was successfully processed.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

qupman
08-08-2008, 01:59 PM
Tried 0.04 (i.e. the patch to 0.02), but still no success. I guess diesel-ebooks.com have a slightly deviant drm protection.

To be specific: the patched script just outputs the original file (about 1.5 MB).

Have you tried with my hacked version of the 0.02 script? Details of the changes are given at

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=202684&postcount=76

Paul

qupman
08-08-2008, 03:08 PM
Okay, please ignore the previous message. The scripts DO work with this specific book. It's just that my Linux FBReader apparently does not work with larger mobi files.

To the original author of the python scripts and all subsequent contributors: great job! Thanks a lot!

wallcraft
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
It's just that my Linux FBReader apparently does not work with larger mobi files. The file size should not matter, but FBReader does not handle MOBIs that use MobiPocket's high compression option. The best work around I have come up with is to use Calibre's mobi2oeb and then form a .oebzip of the OEB ebook (zip the directory and rename .zip to .oebzip).

Canterbury Tail
08-08-2008, 08:53 PM
I did purchse a Mobipocket eBook that required a username/password to be able to be viewed. MobiDeDEM 0.01 and 0.02 did not work to remove the DRM. Someone suggested I try using Mobipocket Reader to send it to another device and then use that copy to remove the DRM. I sent it to my SD card in my card reader and the resulting copy didn't need the username/password any longer. So MobiDeDRM was then able to remove the DRM.

And this advice just saved my bacon today. I'd never have thought of it. Thank you.

SirWill
08-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I always get the following error...

Error: invalid encryption type: 0

I've tried several books. All of them came through the Amazon Kindle store.

I've tried 01, 02, and the patch to 02...

Any Ideas?

Leep
08-27-2008, 08:45 PM

Any Ideas?
pdurrant has posted corrections to the original mobidedrm script which, I believe, address that problem. Have you incorporated his changes?
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=222142#post222142

JSWolf
08-27-2008, 10:39 PM

Any Ideas?
Are they AZW, AZW1, or TPZ? AZW1 and TPZ are Topaz and you cannot bremove the DRM. Also, did you run kindlepid.py to get the PID of your Kindle? You need to run that first to get the PID. Then you should be able to run mobidedrm.py. Not sure which version you'll need if you have not yet applied the latest (so far working) patches to 0.02.

SeTeVeElCarton
08-29-2008, 05:37 AM

Any Ideas?

hmm.. "encryption type 0" should be no encryption at all!
You sure this ebook is drmed? may be it's not and you need only convert to mobipocket

SirWill
08-29-2008, 11:09 AM
hmm.. "encryption type 0" should be no encryption at all!
You sure this ebook is drmed? may be it's not and you need only convert to mobipocket

Gee, what a concept. I was under the impression that all Amazon Kindle downloads had DRM in them. I did buy this book at Amazon, and sure enough it appears that I was able to convert it to html with no issues at all, and do what ever I want with it.

And it was an .azw book by the way. (Though I did notice 1 .azw1 book on my kindle the other day..)

Thanks for the heads up on that error.

DaleDe
08-29-2008, 03:52 PM
AZW can be DRM or not. AZW1 is the topaz format (sometimes has a TPZ extension) and to my knowledge always has DRM. Non DRM AZW is basically the same as MOBI. See wiki for more details.

DixieGal
08-29-2008, 05:33 PM
A DRM'd book I bought this week didn't work with the deDRMer, but you know, I'm sort of inept. It probably is my fault that it didn't work. I got the front cover one time and some pages another time, but never all and never at the same time. Remember, I'm inept, so I blame it not working on a user error.