View Full Version : How to transfer delicious account to Sony ebook reader

troutyluc
06-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Any idea how I can transfer my delicious web links to the Sony ebook reader? I noticed that it is not possible to add your feeds in the Sony software? Are there tools for doing that? Mobipocket does it very well but the Cybook reader is trash....

pilotbob
06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Any idea how I can transfer my delicious web links to the Sony ebook reader? I noticed that it is not possible to add your feeds in the Sony software? Are there tools for doing that? Mobipocket does it very well but the Cybook reader is trash....

Export your bookmakes to an HTML file. Then you can convert the HTML for the Sony. There are several methods... see the Wiki at http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505#HTML_.26_RSS_Feed_Conversions

Also, I think calibre allows you to get web content to lrf, I'm not sure if it supports RSS feeds though. Also, see above wiki topic.

BOb

JSWolf
06-15-2008, 12:17 PM
What would you do with a document containing web links? You can't then use them to surf the net.

Hadrien
06-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm working on the RSS features of Feedbooks this month. I've already improved the PDF output speed and added Mobipocket and ePub support too.

kovidgoyal
06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
Export your bookmakes to an HTML file. Then you can convert the HTML for the Sony. There are several methods... see the Wiki at http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/PRS505#HTML_.26_RSS_Feed_Conversions

Also, I think calibre allows you to get web content to lrf, I'm not sure if it supports RSS feeds though. Also, see above wiki topic.

BOb

It does.

pilotbob
06-15-2008, 03:36 PM
It does.

Cool... didn't want to misspeak. I just got an iMac for birthday/fathersday gift and I'm looking forward to trying calibre on it. Although I'm not quite sure how I will buy LIT files. Then again, I might just sell my Sony 500 and buy a second Kindle.

BOB

troutyluc
06-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Cool... didn't want to misspeak. I just got an iMac for birthday/fathersday gift and I'm looking forward to trying calibre on it. Although I'm not quite sure how I will buy LIT files. Then again, I might just sell my Sony 500 and buy a second Kindle.

BOB

Can you transfer any rss feed you wish to the Kindle? Or are you limited to what is available on Amazon?

troutyluc
06-15-2008, 04:05 PM
What would you do with a document containing web links? You can't then use them to surf the net.

On the Mobipocket software you can download any rss feed you wish. It then gets transfered with the usb cable directly to the Cybook.

I dont see this being easily done with the Kindle nor the Sony ebook reader.

pilotbob
06-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Can you transfer any rss feed you wish to the Kindle? Or are you limited to what is available on Amazon?

Via whispernet you can only do those supported by Amazon. However, via the Mobipocket software you can pretty much pull any RSS feed... but then you have to manually sync to your Kindle via USB.

Get version 6.0 it works best with the Kindle. If you search the forum you should find a link to it.

BOb

kovidgoyal
06-15-2008, 04:28 PM
On the Mobipocket software you can download any rss feed you wish. It then gets transfered with the usb cable directly to the Cybook.

Calibre does it and much better, for the SONY reader.

Elsi
06-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Works exactly the same for the Kindle. Using MobiPocket Reader version 6.0, you can sync the document with the Kindle when you connect the Kindle to the PC. With later versions of MobiPocket Reader, the Kindle isn't recognized as a portable device (thank you very much, Amazon) and though MobiPocket keeps the feed information in the "My eBooks\Feeds" folder, apparently it uses the .mobifeed file type for itself -- only turning it into a .prc "book" when it syncs with the device.

I'm looking forward to trying the Feedbooks tool which should produce consistent "books" from the RSS feeds. Heck, if it works well, I'd gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee, particularly if Feedbooks would update and hold the articles for me, even if I forget to download them in a timely manner!

Hadrien
06-15-2008, 06:03 PM
I'm looking forward to trying the Feedbooks tool which should produce consistent "books" from the RSS feeds. Heck, if it works well, I'd gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee, particularly if Feedbooks would update and hold the articles for me, even if I forget to download them in a timely manner!

If you'd like to try an example: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24949

Elsi
06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
If you'd like to try an example: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24949
Oh, I did! I like the formatting. Now I'm looking forward to setting up *my* list of feeds. I tried the PDF version and all I got was the title of the articles. Don't know if I did something wrong or not, but since my Kindle doesn't display PDFs any way, I could see no need to pursue it.

Hadrien
06-16-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh, I did! I like the formatting. Now I'm looking forward to setting up *my* list of feeds. I tried the PDF version and all I got was the title of the articles. Don't know if I did something wrong or not, but since my Kindle doesn't display PDFs any way, I could see no need to pursue it.

Which RSS feed ? I can try on our development server. I've added links to skip between items and support for newspapers (several RSS feeds in a single file) is ready too: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=199692#post199692

troutyluc
06-16-2008, 10:16 PM

What is Calibre?

troutyluc
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Works exactly the same for the Kindle. Using MobiPocket Reader version 6.0, you can sync the document with the Kindle when you connect the Kindle to the PC. With later versions of MobiPocket Reader, the Kindle isn't recognized as a portable device (thank you very much, Amazon) and though MobiPocket keeps the feed information in the "My eBooks\Feeds" folder, apparently it uses the .mobifeed file type for itself -- only turning it into a .prc "book" when it syncs with the device.

So you are saying that MObipocket no longer works with the Kindle?

kovidgoyal
06-16-2008, 10:30 PM
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net

JSWolf
06-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Secure (with DRM) Mobipocket does not work witht he Kindle. Only DRM free Mobipocket format works with the Kindle.

pilotbob
06-16-2008, 10:32 PM
So you are saying that MObipocket no longer works with the Kindle?

That's correct. The most recent version of the Mobipocket software for PC does not recognize the Kindle as a mobipocket device.

BOb

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 07:18 AM
That's correct. The most recent version of the Mobipocket software for PC does not recognize the Kindle as a mobipocket device.

BOb

Secure DRM or everything else? Could I use MObipocket to transfer my blogs such as delicious account?

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 06:55 PM
http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net

What crap! I am trying to transfer my delicious account to this calibre software and nothing works. One great thing about MObipocket is that it works well....

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 07:15 PM

You dont get it. There are plenty of rss feeds out there where you simply want to read a newspaper or your own delicious feed and this can not be done in my view on the Sony or the Kindle.

Mobipocket does this very well with the Cybook. the only problem is that the Cybook is very fragile....and I need an alternative.

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 07:17 PM

I tried it and nothing works so either send me instructions or stop harrassing me.

DrFyzziks
06-20-2008, 09:40 PM
I tried it and nothing works so either send me instructions or stop harrassing me.

I'm a forum lurker here, this is my first "official" post. As a PRS-505 and Mac owner, I've been following this thread with interest. I haven't noticed anyone "harassing" you. Instead, they provided you with the name of a software package and told you that it worked well (at least in their minds).

Not having heard of Calibre before, I tried a Google search (before the link was posted) and found it without too much difficulty. A quick download later and it was installed on my Mac.

Next, on to the RSS feed import. You want detailed instructions? These worked for me, and took about 5 mins to figure out. The Calibre UI is a bit non-intuitive when it comes to the RSS stuff, so perhaps that's where you were running into trouble.

1. Connect your Sony reader to your machine.

2. Open Calibre.

3. Click "Fetch News" in the toolbar, then select "Add Custom News Source"

4. Type a title in the "Recipe Title" field (eg: "My News Feeds")

5. Set the maximum age and max # of articles per field.

6. Each "recipe" can hold multiple RSS fields. Enter the first feed's Title and
URL in the respective fields. For delicious, enter a title and then the delicious RSS feed, eg: http://del.icio.us/rss/your_userid_here

7. Click "Add Feed".

8. Repeat 6 and 7 if you have additional feeds you'd like to add to this collection/recipe.

9. Click "Add/Update Recipe" on the left-hand side to actually save your changes (this is what got me - I expected to have to click that FIRST, not LAST).

10. Click OK.

Now you have defined a collection of feeds to download. Calibre will save this list for future use. When you want to download/import those to your Reader, do the following:

1. Click "Fetch News" -> "Custom News Source" -> "Your newsfeed"

Calibre will download the articles in your feed and create an eBook.

2. Click "Send to Device"

That's it. Hopefully I didn't harass you with my response. ;)

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 10:43 PM
That's it. Hopefully I didn't harass you with my response. ;)

I dont have a SOny reader yet because I want to make sure it works before I buy one.

I tried your steps and i still cant download the delicious rss feed. The file size remains at 0 mbytes.

This is inside calibre.

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm working on the RSS features of Feedbooks this month. I've already improved the PDF output speed and added Mobipocket and ePub support too.

I tried creating a book out of my delicious rss feed but no luck....i get an error message each time....

Application error (Rails)

troutyluc
06-20-2008, 10:49 PM

BOb

So with the Kindle there are no way for you to read any rss feed of your choice? I mean you can not add an rss feed that is not in the Amazon suggested list?

Is there a way to save a page off the web and move it to the kindle for later reading?

pilotbob
06-21-2008, 12:01 AM
So with the Kindle there are no way for you to read any rss feed of your choice? I mean you can not add an rss feed that is not in the Amazon suggested list?

The Kindle, out-of-the-box provides no way to subscribe to RSS feeds that are not already on Amazon's subscription list.

Is there a way to save a page off the web and move it to the kindle for later reading?

You CAN use Mobipocket software (Windows only) and subscribe to RSS feeds... it will convert them to Mobipocket files that can be read on your Kindle. If you have Mobipocket ver 6.0 you can move them to your Kindle with the software since it sees the Kindle as a reading device. However, if you have a later version you can do "Send to Kindle" which will put them in a folder called eBooks on your Kindle. Then with Windows explorer you can move that folder to the Documents folder so the Kindle will see them.

BOb

kovidgoyal
06-21-2008, 12:04 AM

But harassing you is so much fun...

troutyluc
06-21-2008, 07:24 AM
The Kindle, out-of-the-box provides no way to subscribe to RSS feeds that are not already on Amazon's subscription list.

You CAN use Mobipocket software (Windows only) and subscribe to RSS feeds... it will convert them to Mobipocket files that can be read on your Kindle. If you have Mobipocket ver 6.0 you can move them to your Kindle with the software since it sees the Kindle as a reading device. However, if you have a later version you can do "Send to Kindle" which will put them in a folder called eBooks on your Kindle. Then with Windows explorer you can move that folder to the Documents folder so the Kindle will see them.

BOb

In an earlier email someone said the latest version of the kindle no longer sees the Mobipocket software? and that therefore you can no longer transfer rss feeds to it.

troutyluc
06-21-2008, 07:26 AM
But harassing you is so much fun...

Why dont you make your software work with rss feeds such as delicious?

do you use it?

Open an account.
save yourself some reading material from the web
then try using scribe to transfer the whole feed to your sony reader.

then come back to me

DrFyzziks
06-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Why dont you make your software work with rss feeds such as delicious?

Well, not sure what the problem is at your end, but I'm now happily reading my delicious feed on my Reader, so apparently Calibre does work with RSS feeds.

As for the Rails application error you were encountering, Rails is a web application framework used to build websites, not the Calibre desktop app. So it's actually the website throwing an error, not the app.

What platform are you running this on? OS X? Windows? Linux? Which version of the OS?

pilotbob
06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
In an earlier email someone said the latest version of the kindle no longer sees the Mobipocket software? and that therefore you can no longer transfer rss feeds to it.

That is both correct and incorrect.

1. The latest version of Mobipocket software does not see the Kindle as a Mobireader device. It sees it as a mass storage device.

2. The latest version of Mobipocket will still download RSS feeds and convert them to mobi format files. However, it can't auto sync to the Kindle due to item 1 above.

3. If using the latest version of Mobipocket software you can manually copy the mobi files created by the software to your Kindle using windows explorer.

4. If you don't want to do step 3, then get version 6.0 of Mobipocket software, which does see the Kindle as a mobipocket device and supports syncing to it directly.

Hth,
BOb

troutyluc
06-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Well, not sure what the problem is at your end, but I'm now happily reading my delicious feed on my Reader, so apparently Calibre does work with RSS feeds.

As for the Rails application error you were encountering, Rails is a web application framework used to build websites, not the Calibre desktop app. So it's actually the website throwing an error, not the app.

What platform are you running this on? OS X? Windows? Linux? Which version of the OS?

Windows Vista with Firefox 3.

troutyluc
06-21-2008, 07:39 PM

4. If you don't want to do step 3, then get version 6.0 of Mobipocket software, which does see the Kindle as a mobipocket device and supports syncing to it directly.

Hth,
BOb

Thanks, I use the latest version of Mobipocket 6.2.
So I could use the Kindle with Mobipocket then for reading my personal rss feeds.

Any way of doing that with the Sony Reader?

troutyluc
06-21-2008, 07:42 PM

1. The latest version of Mobipocket software does not see the Kindle as a Mobireader device. It sees it as a mass storage device.

2. The latest version of Mobipocket will still download RSS feeds and convert them to mobi format files. However, it can't auto sync to the Kindle due to item 1 above.

3. If using the latest version of Mobipocket software you can manually copy the mobi files created by the software to your Kindle using windows explorer.

Hth,
BOb

My other questions is as follows. Since I live in Canada and cant use the wireless feature of the kindle to buy books. Can I buy a book online with Amazon.ca and then transfer it to the kindle using the usb cable?

JSWolf
06-21-2008, 08:14 PM
You can only purchase eBooks from Amazon.com and you need a credit card registered to an address in the USA.