View Full Version : Quoting quotes

Elsi
06-13-2008, 03:45 PM
OK -- I'm frustrated.

This forum is so much like another forum I frequent at bookobsessed.com -- they even use exactly the same markup and most of the smileys use the same codes.

But I am frustrated no end with the way quotes work. Over at BO, If I quote a post that already has a quote in it, the editor brings both in and I wind up with nested quotes like this:

Something I saidAnd Nick's response to it

Here, if I quote a post that has a quote in it, I only get the text from that post and not the original quote. So I have to go back up to the original, click on "multiquote", scroll back to the post I really wanted to quote, click on quote, cut & paste things to put one inside the other, etc.

Why is this system configured to not include already quoted text when quoting a post? Or is there a User setting that I can choose that will make it behave the way I'm expecting it to?

DixieGal
06-13-2008, 03:50 PM
I would like to know how to do multiple quotes.

zelda_pinwheel
06-13-2008, 03:50 PM
i would like automatic nested quotes as well... if it's possible.

pilotbob
06-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Yes, I noticed the quote system here automatically eliminates other quoted messages. Sometimes you want that... sometimes you don't. I assume it is a setting in the software somewhere.

BOb

RickyMaveety
06-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I vote for that as well. It would be really nice to have the option for doing that.

Patricia
06-13-2008, 05:52 PM
The moderators decided against allowing automatic nested quotes because a lot of lazy people post extended quotations, then just add a sentence (or less) at the bottom. This gets very tedious.

zelda_pinwheel
06-13-2008, 05:54 PM
ah, i hadn't thought of that, patricia. but you're right, that *does* get tedious. i see why you decided that. (although i still do find it frustrating sometimes. :rolleyes:)

Taylor514ce
06-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Yes, I noticed the quote system here automatically eliminates other quoted messages. Sometimes you want that... sometimes you don't. I assume it is a setting in the software somewhere.

BOb
I vote for that as well. It would be really nice to have the option for doing that.
The moderators decided against allowing automatic nested quotes because a lot of lazy people post extended quotations, then just add a sentence (or less) at the bottom. This gets very tedious.
ah, i hadn't thought of that, patricia. but you're right, that *does* get tedious. i see why you decided that. (although i still do find it frustrating sometimes. :rolleyes:)

Yeah.

zelda_pinwheel
06-13-2008, 06:42 PM
just in case any doubt remained... :rolleyes:

Elsi
06-13-2008, 08:57 PM

I understand -- and since I'm not intimidated by the BBcode, I can manage to get the posts to display the way that I want. As I said, I was just frustrated by the different behavior from the two sites.

Thanks to the moderators for all that they do behind the scenes.

nrapallo
06-13-2008, 10:49 PM
OK -- I'm frustrated.

Something I said

And Nick's response to it

I would like to know how to do multiple quotes.

i would like automatic nested quotes as well... if it's possible.

BOb

Yeah.

just in case any doubt remained... :rolleyes:

I understand -- and since I'm not intimidated by the BBcode, I can manage to get the posts to display the way that I want. As I said, I was just frustrated by the different behavior from the two sites.

Thanks to the moderators for all that they do behind the scenes.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13113&stc=1&d=1212163043 is Nick's response to it! :p

Elsi
06-13-2008, 11:12 PM
What the? I was typing a sample of nested quotes and was afraid there was a filter that would object if I used a non-existent user name, and since you and I had been talking about making IMP books ...

Taylor514ce
06-13-2008, 11:15 PM
You can quote anyone you like.

You can quote anyone, or nobody, as you can see. What I don't like is that the quote bbcode is phrased "Originally Posted by". If we're quoting an off-site source, it would be nice to be able to use the quote tag without it appearing as if we're referring to a post within the thread.

nrapallo
06-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I was typing a sample of nested quotes and was afraid there was a filter that would object if I used a non-existent user name, and since you and I had been talking about making IMP books ...

Yes, I know (all in good fun...)! And I didn't have anything to add.

DaleDe
06-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Taylor514ce Wrote:
You can quote anyone, or nobody, as you can see. What I don't like is that the quote bbcode is phrased "Originally Posted by". If we're quoting an off-site source, it would be nice to be able to use the quote tag without it appearing as if we're referring to a post within the thread.

You can modify the text of the quote itself once you see it in the editor. You can use your own lead in although it won't be automatic with the = sign.

Dale

JSWolf
06-14-2008, 02:17 AM
As a moderator, I want nested quotes As a user I want nested quites. So that makes two votes for nested quotes.

zelda_pinwheel
06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
look out, dissention in the ranks of the moderators...

MickeyC
06-14-2008, 11:16 AM
OK -- I'm frustrated.

This forum is so much like another forum I frequent at bookobsessed.com -- they even use exactly the same markup and most of the smileys use the same codes.

Damn Elsi, I wish you hadn't mentioned BookObsessed. Now there's another forum for me to wander mindlessly through. Shoot.

OTOH, thanks cause I can't get enough about books

igorsk
06-14-2008, 10:15 PM
I'd love this option as a setting in user profile.

zelda_pinwheel
06-15-2008, 08:46 AM
I'd love this option as a setting in user profile.

if it were set to "off" by default it might avoid some abuses by lazy posters (if they are too lazy to remove excess quotations, they are probably also too lazy to change their profile settings :smiley:)

nrapallo
06-15-2008, 08:49 AM
if it were set to "off" by default it might avoid some abuses by lazy posters (if they are too lazy to remove excess quotations, they are probably also too lazy to change their profile settings :smiley:)

Excellent recommendation! I'd vote for this - wait - I don't get to vote... :(

pilotbob
06-15-2008, 10:38 AM

I just noticed the other day, since this had been mentioned that in Private Messages you do get nesting quoting.

BOb

zelda_pinwheel
06-15-2008, 11:00 AM
wasn't it always the case in PMs ?

pilotbob
06-15-2008, 11:41 AM
wasn't it always the case in PMs ?

May have been. I just never really paid attention. :)

slayda
06-15-2008, 01:03 PM

I would think that anyone who could type upside down & backwards would have no problem with nested quotes.

zelda_pinwheel
06-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I would think that anyone who could type upside down & backwards would have no problem with nested quotes.

i didn't say i have trouble with them. skillz i have. laziness i have also.

DMcCunney
06-15-2008, 10:51 PM
As a user I want nested quites.
Perhaps if you built them a nest, you could attract a few quites... :p
______
Dennis

zelda_pinwheel
06-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Perhaps if you built them a nest, you could attract a few quites... :p
______
Dennis

i hear quites like to nest in lofty places. perhaps if we elevate the discourse to a sufficient level, they'll nest all by themselves.