View Full Version : Just wanted to say...

Gideon
05-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks to everyone who encodes books here at MobileRead. They are, consistently, the single best ebooks I ever come across as far as quality and usability (Feedbooks come in a close second!) even before the books actually from Amazon and other companies. You guys make reading a pleasure and I just wanted to say thanks. RWood and Patricia, in particular, I find I have a lot of your work here.. from Chekhov to William James.

Kudos! And Kudos again!

Patricia
05-25-2008, 11:24 PM
Thank you Gideon; it is nice to know that someone likes the books.
I enjoy transcribing them, and having a less cluttered house: I give the paper copies to charity once I've converted the book.

Ervserver
05-25-2008, 11:33 PM
I agree...I've enjoyed many books from this site

zelda_pinwheel
05-26-2008, 07:56 AM
absolutely ; brilliant efforts. thank you to all (especially Patricia).

MickeyC
05-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Absolutely concur. One day I asked Particia if she knew of a source where I could get 'Under Milk Wood' by Dylan Thomas as I looked all over for it. Cripes, before I could log off, she'd found and posted it. She is the eBook Goddess!

RWood
05-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Thank you Gideon. I echo Patricia's thoughts that it is nice to hear from those reading the books we post. A lot are done for our own enjoyment (and to clear some space from the overcrowded bookshelves around here.) Duplicates have been given away.

Thank you.

pilotbob
05-26-2008, 12:04 PM
I enjoy transcribing them, and having a less cluttered house: I give the paper copies to charity once I've converted the book.

So you are converting paper books to ebooks? How pray tell do you do that. Would love to see a desicription of the process you use and tools.

I assume you don't type them in by hand and use some scanning/ocr technique.

BOb

Patricia
05-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Oh no. I just try and find an online version, convert it, check it, then dispose of my paper copy.
I have worked from the scans in The Internet Archive when I've been unable to find anything better. But they have a lot of problema and one can easily spend a whole day (or more) reinstating the missing italics, emdashes etc -- not to mention correcting the OCR errors.

pilotbob
05-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Oh no. I just try and find an online version, convert it, check it, then dispose of my paper copy.

I wish I could find [freee] ebook versions of the books I have. Also most of them are still under copyright. I guess I could try to find them on the darknet and feel morrally ok that I already own it. But, that would be sort of giving approval to those copyright violators out there.

Alas, I am resorting to cataloging all the books I have in LibraryThing, packing them up in boxes and donating them to the county library system. Yes, I am keeping a few favorites. (We should add a librarything link to the Mobileread profile.)

BOb