View Full Version : What good are friends?

badgoodDeb
05-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Yeah, anyway. What good are friends???

No, I'm not actually going suicidal on ya, or anything. I just want to know what the "friends" option is for, in my user control panel. It's awfully NICE to have a whole collection of avatars who are my friends ...... but is there any other underlying purpose? :blink:

Clueless, but thankfully, not friendless!! :)

mores
05-16-2008, 05:07 AM
A friend in need's a friend indeed.
A friend with weed is better!

:D

montsnmags
05-16-2008, 05:39 AM
I find it convenient to go to my profile and just click on a "Friend" if I want to PM them, or make a public comment on their profile page, or carry on an off-thread conversation that doesn't require privacy (and, in fact, browsing those conversations-in-public sometimes has me "interject", or be interjected). I can track down messages of theirs, or threads they've started.

All of this can likely be done in other places (Like "Search"), but I find it convenient to have the central place.

Not to mention it helps no-end when trying to organise the seating arrangements at one of my soirées (ironically, a refusal of my friendship guarantees attendance [licks lips and looks to menu revisions]).

Cheers,
Marc

GeoffC
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah, anyway. What good are friends???

No, I'm not actually going suicidal on ya, or anything. I just want to know what the "friends" option is for, in my user control panel. It's awfully NICE to have a whole collection of avatars who are my friends ...... but is there any other underlying purpose? :blink:

Clueless, but thankfully, not friendless!! :)

And there was me there thinking , I'd like to have badgoodDeb as a friend ...

Taylor514ce
05-16-2008, 01:12 PM
This forum, no big secret, runs on vBulletin software. Great forum software, very customizable. Forums have predominantly been centered around technical discussions, but in the last few years have seen an explosion. That explosion has resulted in what I call the "Web 2.0 fanboys" or better yet, "MySpacers", joining forums.

They want "social" features, so they can compete for having most or kewlest friends, the highest Karma, the most awesome albums.

So, vBulletin and the vBulletin third-party development community have responded by adding social networking features to the software.

These features really don't "do" anything other than appeal to the MySpacers, but since we have them, we can put them to our own good uses as we see fit.

Will you be my friend?

GeoffC
05-16-2008, 01:22 PM
This forum, no big secret, runs on vBulletin software. Great forum software, very customizable. Forums have predominantly been centered around technical discussions, but in the last few years have seen an explosion. That explosion has resulted in what I call the "Web 2.0 fanboys" or better yet, "MySpacers", joining forums.

They want "social" features, so they can compete for having most or kewlest friends, the highest Karma, the most awesome albums.

So, vBulletin and the vBulletin third-party development community have responded by adding social networking features to the software.

These features really don't "do" anything other than appeal to the MySpacers, but since we have them, we can put them to our own good uses as we see fit.

Will you be my friend?

That was one hell of a chat-up-line ...

Taylor514ce
05-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Ladies love logorrhea.

pilotbob
05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Will you be my friend?

That depends. Are you a marsupial?

BOb

RWood
05-16-2008, 03:33 PM
As I remember from the old days ...
* A friend in need is a pest.
* The best way to get rid of a friend is to loan them money.
* With friends like these who needs enemies.

Or the every popular Arlo Guthrie song lyric:
I had a friend
A friend I could trust
He went into the park and got busted
Doing the Ring-around-the-rosey rag.

pilotbob
05-16-2008, 03:41 PM
* The best way to get rid of a friend is to loan them money.

Man, I so resemble that remark. Life lesson learned. (Although I would NEVER give up the imunity necklace no matter what you said to me.)

BOb

JSWolf
05-16-2008, 04:16 PM
A friend in need's a friend indeed.
A friend with weed is better!

:D
I do not want my friends bringing over weeds. I don't like crabgrass.

pilotbob
05-16-2008, 05:18 PM

Better weeds than Fireants. You know when you neighboor treats for fireants they are going to come your your nice, poison free lawn.

Of course, the best way to get rid of misquitos and other flying pests is to buy each of your next door neighboors a bug lamp.

BOb

badgoodDeb
05-17-2008, 02:01 AM
And there was me there thinking , I'd like to have badgoodDeb as a friend ...

Why thank you! I'd love to have tons and tons of friends. It makes me feel loved. :p

Having never been into the MySpace thing, I might as well collect friends here. I love the verbiage tossed wantonly around here. On wontonly, occasionally.

badgoodDeb
05-17-2008, 02:05 AM
That was one hell of a chat-up-line ...

Yeah, it was, wasn't it??! And considering that I've been lustfully chasing after his avatar anyway (he's so cuuuuuute!! :smitten:) I guess I'd better take him up on the offer.

And yes, it's his logorrhea that I'm smitten with. Not so much the type I saw elsewhere today --- 6 inches long on the page, with nary a breath for air --- but the pithy haiku (kaibun? was it) type. Yeah.......

badgoodDeb
05-17-2008, 02:07 AM

How about dandelions? My brother used to object to the negativity heaped upon the poor little yellow flowers -- he thought of them as freckles on a lawn. (He had freckles himself). Now that he has his own lawn, I should ask if that is still his opinion of them.

RWood
05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
How about a friend with brownies?

GeoffC
05-17-2008, 11:48 AM
How about a friend with brownies?

or one with chocolate, a case of Cabernet Sauvignon and dandilion wine ...

pilotbob
05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Why thank you! I'd love to have tons and tons of friends. It makes me feel loved. :p

Deb your my friend. But, I don't need some icon on a web site to tell me that.

:smitten:

GeoffC
05-18-2008, 10:24 AM
Deb your my friend. But, I don't need some icon on a web site to tell me that.

:smitten:

Yet another good chat up line.

NatCh
05-20-2008, 07:17 PM
How about a friend with brownies?Well, better brownies than sídhe, I suppose. The mushrooms are so annoying.

badgoodDeb
05-20-2008, 07:23 PM
[ Groan ... took me a bit. Was looking for a food definition of sidhe .... ]

But I like Gaelic faeries too! Used to have a sprite character in D&D. And mushrooms are yummy, even if you do acquire a hookah and a chap sitting atop them.

brecklundin
05-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Ladies love logorrhea.

of course it all "Depends"....

NatCh
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
But I like Gaelic faeries too! Used to have a sprite character in D&D.Brownies and Sprite? Sounds like a winning combo to me! :D

GeoffC
05-21-2008, 02:36 PM
[ Groan ... took me a bit. Was looking for a food definition of sidhe .... ]

But I like Gaelic faeries too! Used to have a sprite character in D&D. And mushrooms are yummy, even if you do acquire a hookah and a chap sitting atop them.

Sprite is a clear soda, lemon-lime flavored, caffeine free soft drink, produced by the Coca-Cola Company. It was introduced to the United States in 1961. This was Coke's response to the popularity of 7 Up, which had begun as "Lithiated Lemon" in 1929. It comes in a primarily green and blue can or a green transparent bottle with a primarily green and blue label.

HarryT
05-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Well, better brownies than sídhe, I suppose. The mushrooms are so annoying.

Gaelic has to be the language which has the least resemblance between the appearance of a word and its pronounciation :).

In case anyone doesn't know, "sidhe" is pronounced "she".

RWood
05-24-2008, 06:23 PM
Brownies and Sprite? Sounds like a winning combo to me! :D
I think I'll stick with Malomars and orange juice.

Patricia
05-24-2008, 08:39 PM
I think I'll stick with Malomars and orange juice.

What on earth is a malomar? Is it edible?

montsnmags
05-24-2008, 08:53 PM
What on earth is a malomar? Is it edible?

~ahem~ Most anything is edible. My mum, as a child, use to sit in the backyard eating the coke and asbestos she dug up from the soil. This may explain her skill with and penchant for curries. I'm not sure what my eating of my sister's Barbie doll shoes explains about me.

However, what a mallomar is (I didn't know either) can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallomar

Cheers,
Marc

Patricia
05-24-2008, 09:03 PM
~ahem~ Most anything is edible. My mum, as a child, use to sit in the backyard eating the coke and asbestos she dug up from the soil. This may explain her skill with and penchant for curries. I'm not sure what my eating of my sister's Barbie doll shoes explains about me.

However, what a mallomar is (I didn't know either) can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallomar

Cheers,
Marc

Ah well, edible, though perhaps not palatable. I don't think that I like asbestos or very sweet things.

montsnmags
05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Ah well, edible, though perhaps not palatable. I don't think that I like asbestos or very sweet things.

I had chilly chocolate chilli icecream (also garnished with cool, but previously deep-fried and finely-sliced red chilli) for lunch-dessert the other day, at my favourite restaurant, The Spirit House (http://www.spirithouse.com.au/restaurant3.php?name=Restaurant). Well, actually, it was part of a chocolate tasting plate for two, but, nevertheless, it was quite nice (by which I mean "There's a party in my mouth...!").

'Tis possibly not your cup of tea though?

Cheers,
Marc

zelda_pinwheel
05-24-2008, 09:16 PM
hmm... intriguing. i am not sure if i would like that, but i would definitely be willing to try it. no malomars for me either though (beurk).

Patricia
05-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Actually the combination of hot and cold sounds intriguing.

montsnmags
05-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Chocolate and chilli quite naturally go well together (well, I think they've been used together in hot drink in some parts of South America for some centuries), but the combination with the cold of the icecream is magic.

Incidentally, I make icecream, though I haven't made this one. Amongst the flavours, I do a nectarine icecream (perfect for sweet pies, but a bit too rich on its own - it actually has almost a coconut milk flavour), as well as a vanilla and crushed Ferrero Rochere one.

Massimo, who lives across the road and whose shop (Massimos) is down on the beach, makes the best icecream though. Mmmm, cinnamon, pistachio, lychee, white chocolate, meringue and amaretto...and so on.....arrgglllllll.

Cheers,
Marc

Patricia
05-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I do a lemon semi-freddo, which people seem to like; also a rich vanilla, to which I sometimes add amaretto and those crushed Italian macaroon biscuits (-the name escapes me).

montsnmags
05-24-2008, 10:06 PM
I do a lemon semi-freddo, which people seem to like

The Loved One would like that - he's fond of the citrus-y tartness.

; also a rich vanilla, to which I sometimes add amaretto and those crushed Italian macaroon biscuits (-the name escapes me).

It sounds delicious. Do you mean biscotti?

Cheers,
Marc

Patricia
05-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Amaretti biscuits and amaretto liqueur. The result is a vaguely alcoholic almond taste.

NatCh
05-25-2008, 01:50 AM
Well, better brownies than sídhe, I suppose. The mushrooms are so annoying.

Gaelic has to be the language which has the least resemblance between the appearance of a word and its pronounciation :).

In case anyone doesn't know, "sidhe" is pronounced "she".I used to work with a gal named Niamh -- pronounced "nēv". There was also a guy whose name was pronounced "kəthal" which I couldn't begin to spell. Oddly enough, most folks couldn't handle pronouncing his name and just called him "Charlie," I got it easily after hearing it only 3 or 4 times. :shrug:

NatCh
05-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Funny story about Niahm: I was at our other site right after she had just left it, and she called me and asked if I'd pick up the package she'd forgotten in her rental car and bring it back to her when I returned, it was a present for her boyfriend.

I didn't mind at all, and picked it up, no problem. But then I got to thinking (this was in ~1998), when I get to the airport that conversation will be very interesting:

Security Guy: Has anyone given you anything to carry on the plane?
Me: Yes, my friend and co-worker the Irish National gave me this wrapped package and I really have no idea what's in it, but I'm sure it'll be just fine. :nice:

I decided I'd just avoid the whole situation and sent it through inter-office mail. :rolleyes:

GeoffC
05-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Looks like I've missed out on something here...

I did make a mocha ice cream this last week; although the flavour was good something went wrong with the texture unfortunately...must see about this chocolate and chilli...:chinscratch: they must make great friends...

badgoodDeb
05-26-2008, 12:09 AM
must see about this chocolate and chilli...:chinscratch: they must make great friends...

Shivering in my boots at the thought ....... I'd hate to adulterate my chocolate to even try this! However, there is a mallomar-like cookie quite common in the States' stores which I can devour..... Can't find the name though. Haven't bought it recently cuz it's dangerous to the waistline. :o

NatCh
05-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Sounds like a Moon Pie. Or do you mean Nabisco's "Pinwheels?"

GeoffC
05-26-2008, 11:25 AM
Shivering in my boots at the thought ....... I'd hate to adulterate my chocolate to even try this! However, there is a mallomar-like cookie quite common in the States' stores which I can devour..... Can't find the name though. Haven't bought it recently cuz it's dangerous to the waistline. :o

Looking at your Av, there's nothing wrong with your waistline...

Edit :
BTW, shivering is supposed to be a good exercise.

badgoodDeb
05-26-2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a Moon Pie. Or do you mean Nabisco's "Pinwheels?"

Pinswheels -- that's the one. Yum!

Looking at your Av, there's nothing wrong with your waistline...

Thank you! That's why it's my avatar. The power of imagination ... :D

GeoffC
05-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Pinswheels -- that's the one. Yum!

Thank you! That's why it's my avatar. The power of imagination ... :D

I thought it was your avatar in order to keep the hordes at bay, what with that sharp axe and all...

yvanleterrible
05-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Chocolate and chilli quite naturally go well together (well, I think they've been used together in hot drink in some parts of South America for some centuries), but the combination with the cold of the icecream is magic.

Incidentally, I make icecream, though I haven't made this one. Amongst the flavours, I do a nectarine icecream (perfect for sweet pies, but a bit too rich on its own - it actually has almost a coconut milk flavour), as well as a vanilla and crushed Ferrero Rochere one.

Massimo, who lives across the road and whose shop (Massimos) is down on the beach, makes the best icecream though. Mmmm, cinnamon, pistachio, lychee, white chocolate, meringue and amaretto...and so on.....arrgglllllll.

Cheers,
MarcYou're quite an epicurian Marc. Massimo's gelati look pretty imaginative, he must love gawking at his bewildered clients' faces.

Chocolate and chili are truly a classic pair. There are quite a few chocolatiers around here who concoct fabulous mixes of the two. And what about the traditional chocolate chicken pot.

We have a beer festival around here also, last time I had a chili beer, it had a two inch chili pepper at the bottom of the bottle. Useless to say that I chose that one to be the last taste test of the day.:p

GeoffC
05-27-2008, 06:15 AM
Incidentally, I make icecream, though I haven't made this one.

Cheers,
Marc

I'll have to come to you for ideas on where I'm going wrong with my recipe - the last one I did failed to churn properly in the maker and hence the texture was too crystalline...

I don't use dairy, nor eggs, but that's no real excuse...

montsnmags
05-27-2008, 06:40 AM
You're quite an epicurian Marc. Massimo's gelati look pretty imaginative, he must love gawking at his bewildered clients' faces

The Chocolate Chilli icecream was from The Spirit House (http://www.spirithouse.com.au/) restaurant, as part of the chocolate tasting plate for two. Massimo's tends to be a little more conventional, sticking to things like cinnamon, pistachio, white chocolate, creme caramel, etc. in their icecreams, and mango, lychee, lime, et cetera in sorbets. There's obviously lots more, and generally marginally outside of convention, but they're all made on-site from fresh ingredients (well, mostly on-site - I know that some of the caramel that he puts in the icecream he makes at home, across the road, because I can smell it...oh, boy, can I smell it!).

Chocolate and chili are truly a classic pair. There are quite a few chocolatiers around here who concoct fabulous mixes of the two.

A chocolatier that used to be in the Queen Victoria Building in Sydney did bitter chocolate-coated little birdseye chillis as part of her range. It gave you a perfect understanding of how the partnership was meant to be. Remind me, if I'm ever in your neighbourhood, to ask directions to your chocolatiers.

And what about the traditional chocolate chicken pot.

I haven't had that, though at Marque (http://www.marquerestaurant.com.au/) (again in Sydney, just a 100m walk from where I lived) we had a degustation that included a fillet of duck wrapped in a chocolate-flavoured, flaky pastry with a chocolate-based jus (unsweetened, obviously). It was quite tasty.

We have a beer festival around here also, last time I had a chili beer, it had a two inch chili pepper at the bottom of the bottle. Useless to say that I chose that one to be the last taste test of the day.:p

There's a mob called "Disaster Bay Chillies (http://www.disasterbaychillies.com/)" down the south coast of New South Wales that do a Hot Chilli Wine (no grapes; chillies). It has a really ripe, fruity flavour, very sweet, best taken from a liqueur glass...and then, just as you let is pass the back of your throat, it gives you a lively kick in the cockles and warms you through. Definitely, like you say, a last thing drink though.

Cheers,
Marc