View Full Version : Do you use the Similar Threads feature?

Alexander Turcic
05-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I am curious if we can disable this feature. I hardly ever use it.

zelda_pinwheel
05-11-2008, 08:47 PM
i like it ! i just resurrected the thread "words : jay or nay friday" which i found in the "similar threads". does it use a lot of server ressources ?

Alexander Turcic
05-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmmm good question. So far server resources are not an issue. ;)

What I am trying to do is to discover sparely used features that could appear as "clutter" to our new members.

zelda_pinwheel
05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
ah ok... well, as i said, personally i like it, and when i was a new member i found it quite useful in helping me to discover information i needed. that's my opinion... maybe i'll try to think of some different feature which might be called clutter, if you really want to disable something... nobody uses "search" right ? :wink:

montsnmags
05-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Hmmm good question. So far server resources are not an issue. ;)

What I am trying to do is to discover sparely used features that could appear as "clutter" to our new members.

I can't say I've ever used it. I can see how a new member, searching for information on a specific issue, might find something there, but of course that depends on the accuracy of its list (for instance, a current "similar thread" to this one is PDF or similar holes? (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8166) from 2006.

Is it possible, to reduce "clutter", to make it a collapsed list that you can "expand" if you desire? If not, well, my "vote" reflects my opinion (it's no great loss to me).

Cheers,
Marc

montsnmags
05-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Is it possible, to reduce "clutter", to make it a collapsed list that you can "expand" if you desire? If not, well, my "vote" reflects my opinion (it's no great loss to me).

I just noticed, it's already collapsible. Sorry. Is the collapsed state the default, or is the expanded state the default (I'm not going to assume that because mine is "expanded" that this is the default - I use a laptop trackpad, and I'm prone to inadvertent and unexpected clicks that open things I didn't mean to :) ).

Cheers,
Marc

RWood
05-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I use and enjoy the Similar Threads feature. I often find threads that I missed the first time around or other related information. Sometimes it offers interesting threads that I would not normally select. I favor keeping it.

astra
05-12-2008, 05:07 AM
I don't use it.

badgoodDeb
05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
I never noticed it was there. I'll have to go try it out.....

Donnageddon
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I am another vote for "What? You have a similar threads feature?"

Patricia
05-12-2008, 09:18 PM
I use it occasionally.

pshrynk
05-14-2008, 09:51 AM
I've found some very interesting discussions using it. Also some odd clang associations, too.

Alexander Turcic
05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Apparently I underestimated the use of this feature. It'll stay. ;)

Thanks for participating in the poll.

zelda_pinwheel
05-14-2008, 10:34 AM
yay !

Donnageddon
05-15-2008, 04:15 AM
I am neither dismayed, nor enraptured.

But if Zelda is happy, everyone is happy!

DaleDe
05-15-2008, 12:43 PM
It looks like we need to have discussions like this for every feature, just so people will find out that it exists!

Dale

zelda_pinwheel
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
why, what other exciting features have you been hiding from us ?

GeoffC
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
I have used it - but often discover I'm reading a thread that started and stopped in 2005 !!
No bad thing I suppose ...

zelda_pinwheel
05-15-2008, 01:22 PM
what have you got against 2005 ?

GeoffC
05-15-2008, 01:24 PM
what have you got against 2005 ?

Absolutely , irrevocably , nothing :)

Just I feel reading ' old ' news gives me the temptation to re-open threads that people might just want to forget about . MR seemed less silly in those days ...:iloveyou:

zelda_pinwheel
05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
i don't know, the "jay or nay friday" thread was from before my time, and had been woefully neglected until i resurrected it. everything's relative. some ideas are just too avant-garde when they're first proposed, and deserve a second chance. not all, obviously. some should be left to decompose in peace. use your judgement. also, i think there was an absurdometre around here somewhere which could help you decide.

GeoffC
05-15-2008, 01:38 PM
i don't know, the "jay or nay friday" thread was from before my time, and had been woefully neglected until i resurrected it. everything's relative. some ideas are just too avant-garde when they're first proposed, and deserve a second chance. not all, obviously. some should be left to decompose in peace. use your judgement. also, i think there was an absurdometre around here somewhere which could help you decide.

absurdometer !

brilliant , in the words of a great politician ( :rofl: ) " bring it on " ...

TantricWarrior
05-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I use and enjoy the Similar Threads feature. I often find threads that I missed the first time around or other related information. Sometimes it offers interesting threads that I would not normally select. I favor keeping it.

ditto...
as a newbie to this list, while lurking, this lead me to lots of further reading on similar/parallel topics, some were irrelevant/out of date, but I liked the suggestions. Keep it.:thumbsup:

Elsi
05-23-2008, 12:28 AM
I'm relatively new, so I look at the related threads links -- if the last updated date isn't *too* long ago, I'll often check it out.