Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS T-1
can't find the warning message for vendor-extension

All

I ran my CSS through the http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ and get 4 warnings:

URI : stylesheet.css
48 can't find the warning message for vendor-extension
49 can't find the warning message for vendor-extension
50 can't find the warning message for vendor-extension
51 can't find the warning message for vendor-extension

The CSS in question ({html,body}:

-epub-hyphens: none;
-adobe-hyphenate: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none;
-moz-hyphens: none;

hyphens:none doesn't produce a warning.
Should I just remove those four hyphens from my CSS, or should I write them differently... or, should I disregard the warning messages?
JLius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You'll probably never get those vendor extensions to validate since they're not technically part of the valid specifications ("hyphens: none" IS part of the spec).

That said; if you feel you need to control hyphenation at the book level like that, then I would just ignore the warnings.

Just know that many probably won't be happy campers when they open your ebook in their favorite reading app and their decision to enable hyphenation is completely ignored by your book.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #3
JLius
Village idiot
JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JLius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok, but my e-book is in Dutch and I thought hyphenation is flawed for Dutch e-books. Am I wrong?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLius View Post
Ok, but my e-book is in Dutch and I thought hyphenation is flawed for Dutch e-books. Am I wrong?
That depends on the reader/application, but you are very likely right.

But maybe next week your favourite reader will have a firmware update with improved Dutch hyphenation. Will you then update all your ebooks?

Anyway, disabling hyphens is useful sometimes. I often do it for titles, poetry or centered text (anything that's not fully justified)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #5
JLius
Village idiot

I think I will just remove the CSS rules for hyphenation completely. Thanks for the input.
Advert

Tags
css, validation warning