View Full Version : Visitor Messages in User Profile.

Taylor514ce
05-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Someone please untangle these for me. I see a Visitor message in my User Profile, so I simply answer it in the message box right there, in essence leaving myself a Visitor Message. I know that's wrong, but it does make it easy to follow.

How is it actually supposed to work? What is the proper way to respond to a Visitor Message so that it creates a "conversation"?

And do I really want to know? I love peeling the onion on this site, needing to look at my profile, others' profiles, threads, chats, and PMs in order to keep a quasi-coherent running multi-person and multiple personality conversation going.

:emotifaction: <-- will be posting that until it becomes an official M.R. Smiley.

RWood
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Since the ability to leave visitor messages is a new feature of the recently installed/upgraded forum software everyone is in the same boat as you. (It is a large boat.)

There are no rules or even suggestions. Your mileage may vary.

Taylor514ce
05-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Right-o, but there is a proper way to create a "conversation". Researching, I found that if I click the View Conversation button on the Visitor Message on MY profile, I'm taken to that person's User Profile, and that's where I should leave my reply, thus creating a "Conversation".

But I think I like my way better, replying to messages within my own profile so that everyone can see everything.

If everyone's in a boat, I hope they brought their own towels.

:emotifaction: <-- will be posting that until it becomes an official M.R. Smiley.

RWood
05-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Your method does sound more logical and easier for everyone to follow what transpired. Ping-ponging between two locations discourages reconstruction.

One should always know where is towel is. I just hope everyone went before we started (and brought their own lunch.)

Patricia
05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I suppose that it's possible to do both: leave an answer in your own profile and send it to the other person.

montsnmags
05-04-2008, 05:11 AM
I didn't realise one could do that (have a conversation with oneself).

Excellent, now I don't have to have all those conversations in my head.

Cheers,
Marc (For I am Legion, and we're one helluva footy team)

GeoffC
05-04-2008, 05:16 AM

Cheers,

I often find I have conversations with myself ...

( If the noises in my head are bothering you , think how I feel at my end )
G.

zelda_pinwheel
05-04-2008, 07:12 AM
I suppose that it's possible to do both: leave an answer in your own profile and send it to the other person.
i like patricia's suggestion. it would save me having to refresh 6 people's profiles every half hour or so to see if they've replied.

I often find I have conversations with myself ...

( If the noises in my head are bothering you , think how I feel at my end )
G.
are you suggesting there are people who *don't* have conversations with themselves ? good heavens. they must get lonely. *and* bored.

HarryT
05-05-2008, 04:26 AM
I find that talking to myself is the only way to guarantee an intelligent conversation.

GeoffC
05-05-2008, 04:35 AM
I find that talking to myself is the only way to guarantee an intelligent conversation.

May I humbly say :

Ouch ...

mjh215
05-05-2008, 07:35 AM

Now I get it. And next you'll be telling us all great literary works were infact written by a Dalek. :)

-MJ

Taylor; Disjointed conversations can be quite fun though.

DaleDe
05-05-2008, 10:22 AM

I have heard that talking to oneself is quite normal but don't go so far as to start answering yourself.

Dale

NatCh
05-05-2008, 12:23 PM
I find that talking to myself is the only way to guarantee an intelligent conversation.I don't know about intelligent, but it's the only way I can be sure I'm understood half the time.

I have heard that talking to oneself is quite normal but don't go so far as to start answering yourself.No, it's okay to talk to yourself, and it's okay to answer yourself, it's when you find yourself asking yourself "now what were you saying?" -- that's when you need to worry. :yes:

All this visitor conversations stuff is complicated enough I'm not thinking about turning mine off. ;)

nrapallo
05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
No, it's okay to talk to yourself, and it's okay to answer yourself, it's when you find yourself asking yourself "now what were you saying?" -- that's when you need to worry. :yes:

And the Primer text on this subject has been written by ZP here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=178471#post178471), or more succinctly below:
Zelda also has heard that you can get away with talking about yourself in the third person if you just put quotes around it, and pretend it's someone else. italics help as well.

oh, oups, she forgot the quotes just then. no italics either. sheesh.

Oh, yeah, the Primer also includes ERRATA in bold! How thoughtful... :thumbsup:

TadW
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Just a hint: The profile view is customizable (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/profile.php?do=customize).

It appears Alex has already made use (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=3) of this feature. :D

Patricia
05-07-2008, 05:42 PM
How did he make that background? I want one too ...

montsnmags
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM

Better you than me. I'm just happy no-one's done a background check on me yet.

Cheers,
Marc (never convicted)

Alexander Turcic
05-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Just a hint: The profile view is customizable (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/profile.php?do=customize).

It appears Alex has already made use (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/member.php?u=3) of this feature. :D

Heh, I was waiting for somebody to notice. :p

To use a background, you need to first upload a background image to an album. This is how I did it:

Add a new album (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/album.php?do=addalbum) (in case you wonder how I discovered the link, go to your User CP (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/usercp.php), and under "Networking" you find Pictures & Albums. From there you find a link called "Add Album"). Call the album "Profile". Choose Album Type = Profile.
In the new album, click on "Add Pictures to a Group". Once you uploaded your image, you can go back to Customize Profile (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/profile.php?do=customize) and click on the little image icon next to the Background Image field. Voila!

Patricia
05-08-2008, 08:50 AM
But my user CP doesn't have a pictures & albums option.

Under 'Networking' I have only 3 options, viz:
Contacts & Friends
Social Groups
Group Memberships

I've clicked on all of them in search of a hidden link but none is to be found.:blink:

zelda_pinwheel
05-08-2008, 08:51 AM
not in the CP : in the page where you read your visitor messages.

Patricia
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
No, it's not there either, Zelda. I've got mini-statistics, friends, group memberships and recent visitors. But no pictures and albums link at all.

Patricia
05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
Maybe I should promise to post a picture of me in the bath as an inducement to acquiring an album.

zelda_pinwheel
05-08-2008, 09:01 AM
Maybe I should promise to post a picture of me in the bath as an inducement to acquiring an album.

if anything will do it, that ought to...

zelda_pinwheel
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
it should be between friends and recent visitors, on the visitor messages page (="public profile"). is it minimized ? (if you click on the little icon to the far right of the title bar of "friends" etc., you can minimize the module).

another possibility : i know you already looked in CP, but check in the menu bar on the left, in the bloc called "networking" i have 3 options and the 3rd one is "pictures and albums".

if it's not there, maybe it's an option that can be "turned off" somewhere, and it got turned off somehow... hopefully Alex can help.

Patricia
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
No, it's not in any of these places. What a pity.

Taylor514ce
05-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Patricia, no no... the secret is not to post a picture of yourself bathing, the secret is having someone else post a picture of you bathing. It adds so much more intrigue, speculation, and fodder for unutterable silliness.

Alexander Turcic
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
if it's not there, maybe it's an option that can be "turned off" somewhere, and it got turned off somehow... hopefully Alex can help.

Thanks for the pointer, zelda. This is exactly what happened! A few settings were still on default, off, and I forgot to enable them.

I believe it should be working now. :p

vivaldirules
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Wait, Alex, does this mean we're not going to get to see a picture of Patricia in the tub?

Alexander Turcic
05-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Wait, Alex, does this mean we're not going to get to see a picture of Patricia in the tub?

Heh, this is not for me to say. But albums are now enabled for everyone, including Patricia. :hatsoff:

vivaldirules
05-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Heh, this is not for me to say. But albums are now enabled for everyone, including Patricia. :hatsoff:

A whole album of pictures? Oh, goody!

Patricia
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for fixing this, Alex.
When I get home this evening I shall play with the settings.

nrapallo
05-08-2008, 10:31 AM
A whole album of pictures? Oh, goody!

:drool: Down, boy, down. :drool: Can hardly contain himself...

Hey, look the Lounge is spilling over here... It's awfully quite over there!

zelda_pinwheel
05-08-2008, 12:22 PM
well, today is a holiday, and the weather is beautiful, so obviously i had no choice but to go have a drink on a café terrasse with some friends. i'm glad to see that in my absence the problem seems to have been resolved... i'll be checking Patricia's profile all evening to see how it will be transformed.

Patricia, i think you've really no choice now but to post a photo of yourself in the bath. (that'll teach you to get their hopes up....)

pilotbob
05-08-2008, 06:13 PM

http://www.wagntrain.com/Graphics/TOOHOT.jpg

montsnmags
05-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Patricia, i think you've really no choice now but to post a photo of yourself in the bath. (that'll teach you to get their hopes up....)

I think I can help out there:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=21&pictureid=256

That's you, yes, Patricia?

Cheers,
Marc

zelda_pinwheel
05-08-2008, 08:35 PM
sexy !

NatCh
05-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Bear naked, yet!

mjh215
05-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Doesn't look like she's a natural blonde.

-MJ

GeoffC
05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
mmm

bit of a tide-mark around the eyebrows ...

pshrynk
05-16-2008, 03:33 PM

Cheers,
That's because the meds started working again.

$250, please. You can pay the lady at the door.

GeoffC
05-16-2008, 03:41 PM
That's because the meds started working again.

$250, please. You can pay the lady at the door.

You mean there's medication that will work ...

Hang on ...

You mean you have to pay !!!

nekokami
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
I was hoping the customizability would have something to do with enabling a "conversation mode" that would link up the bits of ping-pong conversations, but not so, I guess. (And I couldn't figure out how it would work, anyway.)

I've been leaving responses in the original poster's comment areas, but I agree it does make it hard for someone else to follow what's going on.

Patricia
05-16-2008, 03:51 PM
But you can click on 'View your converation with X' and see the entire dialogue.

zelda_pinwheel
05-16-2008, 03:53 PM
if you click on "view conversation" you will see the exchanges between that person and yourself.

EDIT ah, not fast enough...

GeoffC
05-18-2008, 09:28 AM
One can even start a conversation with oneself, upon the instance that there is no-one else around...

Lobolover
05-19-2008, 12:43 PM
I recieved one,clicked on it in IE and it shut down and now I can't find it anymore-anyone know how I can open it?

GeoffC
05-19-2008, 12:54 PM
I recieved one,clicked on it in IE and it shut down and now I can't find it anymore-anyone know how I can open it?

Edited :

Removed suggestion.

Ignore me I'll worm my way back under a toadstool and re-connect my brain cells up again...

Patricia
05-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Even easier, just go to the blue bar near the top of the page. Click on 'Quick Links' then on 'User Profile.'.

Or click on your name, above your avatar, and select 'view public profile'.

Lobolover
05-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Hmm.Okay,I thought it'd be in the CP ,cause it apeared there .

badgoodDeb
05-20-2008, 05:06 PM
I recieved one,clicked on it in IE and it shut down

I'm using Firefox, with pop-ups disabled. I've seen the same thing. I've learned that I need to say YES (or is it OK) to the first message, then when it asks if I want a new window or open in same window, I need to click NO so that it opens in same window. Otherwise firefox squelches the new window.

Just in case that helps you, the next time!