View Full Version : Glo Problems after updating to software ver. 3.2.0 (Problems found unrelated to update)

Hiro-kun
02-12-2014, 03:03 PM
My Glo updated its firmware to 3.2.0 today and I have a couple issues with it:

Pocket does not download any articles from my account and the ones that were there before are no longer on the device.
The book I was last reading appears to be corrupted; it appears as a blank book in the collection I had it in; opening it leads to a blank screen.
Web browser favourites are gone.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix these problems? Thanks.

PeterT
02-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Try a power off / power on.

I will admit I did not expect to see 3.2.0 in the wild yet :(

Could you supply us with the build date and version info please.

PeterT
02-12-2014, 03:51 PM
As far as Pocket goes, I had recently done a factory reset due to a beta issue and never re-logged in to Pocket. I just did and had zero issues with it downloading all articles.

Hiro-kun
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Try a power off / power on.

I will admit I did not expect to see 3.2.0 in the wild yet :(

Could you supply us with the build date and version info please.

3.2.0 (d0a9bf18ea, 2/11/14)

PeterT
02-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Same as the last build we received in the beta.

Hiro-kun
02-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Neither toggling the power nor a basic reset fix the problems. Also noticed that some settings aren't being remembered after a basic reset, like my Pocket login. I'll try a factory reset after I backup the books I have on it.

New problem detected: Calibre has an error communicating with the device:

calibre, version 1.23.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1679, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2577, in get_bookshelflist
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

Hiro-kun
02-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Factory reset done. After setup, my reader updated its firmware back to 3.2.0. Logged into Pocket and articles look like they've synced properly. I'll start side-loading the books I had on it before.

davidfor
02-12-2014, 05:35 PM
New problem detected: Calibre has an error communicating with the device:

calibre, version 1.23.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1679, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2577, in get_bookshelflist
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed

This was the problem. Somehow, the database on the device had become corrupted. That causes weird problems like you were seeing. It probably would have been fixed by logging out of your Kobo user on the device and then back in.

Hiro-kun
02-12-2014, 09:59 PM
This was the problem. Somehow, the database on the device had become corrupted. That causes weird problems like you were seeing. It probably would have been fixed by logging out of your Kobo user on the device and then back in.

Thanks. I'll remember if this happens again.

RobertJSawyer
02-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Could an administrator put a note at the top of this topic that the problem turned out to be unrelated to the 3.2.0 update? I was scared off of updating by the opening post, and the problems it described.

PeterT
02-12-2014, 10:37 PM
I've reported that post and requested either a title edit or message content edit to clarify that this was a DB issue.

RobertJSawyer
02-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Thanks, PeterT!

(You know, for a guy who's "Taking a break; Fed up" -- you do a lot around here! ;) )

WT Sharpe
02-13-2014, 07:27 AM
I've reported that post and requested either a title edit or message content edit to clarify that this was a DB issue.

Changed thread title from "Problems after updating to software version 3.2.0" to "Problems after updating to software ver. 3.2.0 (Problems found unrelated to update)."

John F
02-13-2014, 09:21 AM
From the O.P., it sounds like the update may have caused the DB corruption?

RobertJSawyer
02-13-2014, 10:10 AM
John F, the original poster has addressed this in another thread:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2763129&postcount=13

He says there: "Yes, it turns out that my database was corrupted. It happened to coincide with the firmware update so I originally assumed the two were related."

Hiro-kun
02-13-2014, 12:06 PM

He says there: "Yes, it turns out that my database was corrupted. It happened to coincide with the firmware update so I originally assumed the two were related."

The only other thing that I did prior to this update that was different from my other updates was that I had KoboLauncher (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201632) installed but uninstalled it not long before the update using the developer's instructions (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2632367#post2632367). Everything seemed fine until after the update finished. I'm not saying that KoboLauncher did something to my device, but this is all I can think of right now.

John F
02-13-2014, 12:30 PM

The only other thing that I did prior to this update that was different from my other updates was that I had KoboLauncher (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201632) installed but uninstalled it not long before the update using the developer's instructions (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2632367#post2632367). Everything seemed fine until after the update finished. I'm not saying that KoboLauncher did something to my device, but this is all I can think of right now.
So it sounds to me like it may or may not be related to the update. IMO. YMMV.

"Corrupted database" is the new cycle power to solve/ignore problems. :)

Hiro-kun
02-13-2014, 08:07 PM
I have thought of another possible cause of my database corruption. I received the update through a USB connection to Kobo Desktop. When it asked me to eject the reader, I ejected through "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media", but I may have yanked the cord a little too soon.

Lfverzi
04-13-2014, 06:38 PM
My kobo glo doesn't remember the wifi network, I have to digit the wifi password every time I need the connection..
It's incredibly boring!! :(
Anyone has a solution?