Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #1
Chandler Design
Chandler Design began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Converting epub to Mobi

I use InDesign to create both epub and mobi, however since iOS7 has come out the italics no longer show. So I use Calibre to convert the epub to mobi and this works, however it seems to remove the line space between paragraph breaks. Can anyone suggest what I need to do to keep the spaces intact as they appear in the epub.
Chandler Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Design View Post
I use InDesign to create both epub and mobi, however since iOS7 has come out the italics no longer show. So I use Calibre to convert the epub to mobi and this works, however it seems to remove the line space between paragraph breaks. Can anyone suggest what I need to do to keep the spaces intact as they appear in the epub.
Use Kindlegen to convert the epub to mobi.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Chandler Design

There appears to be an issue with Kindle Gen as it won't convert the mobi correctly, italics won't work in iOS7 and you loose the TOC's.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Use Kindlegen to convert the epub to mobi.
Ruben:

That's good advice, but what I suspect, based on some books I've seen come across my desk that came from Macs, is that the OP is not simply using an italics tag--he is calling/using something like, "Times New Roman Italic" in a span tag (good old InDesign, ha!), and the font isn't embedded in the ePUB. We've seen this a few times from INDD and from Pages, both.

Chandler: how did you create the italics? Is that what you did, in the exported ePUB? Did you embed a TNR Italic, or some type of fallback italic font? (Not all fonts work with KindleGen, please note, just as not all fonts work on all devices in ePUB). If you can tell us a bit more about your italic issue, someone here may be able to assist you.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Chandler Design

When I create the artwork in InDesign I use styles and character styles for the italics so the css works when exporting as an epub or mobi using the plugin. I have no issues with the epub and I don't embed the font. Funny enough on the old iPhone operating system it works fine I'm only having an issue now because of iOS7. I have tried Calibre to convert the epub to mobi and that works but it changes things and the paragraph spaces have gone where I use the line space option in the character menu, i.e 3mm from baseline.
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Chandler, can you please show us a relevant section of the CSS and/or XML that shows how you are doing the italics?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
Chandler Design

Ok I can do a screen grab in Author (Oxygen) when I back in the office if thats going to be helpful or do I need to send an ePub file.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler Design View Post
Ok I can do a screen grab in Author (Oxygen) when I back in the office if thats going to be helpful or do I need to send an ePub file.
Just copy the relevant text and paste it here. No need for a screen grab.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Chandler Design

Ok thanks, I will do that tomorrow as all my files are in the office. I should point out that I don't do my own coding, InDesign does all that when I export to ePub.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Once you post the code here, someone should be able to help more. Without seeing the code, we've helped as much as we can.

Oh and the code you paste, please make it the code from the ePub AFTER it has been exported from ID.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #11
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Ruben:

That's good advice, but what I suspect, based on some books I've seen come across my desk that came from Macs, is that the OP is not simply using an italics tag--he is calling/using something like, "Times New Roman Italic" in a span tag (good old InDesign, ha!), and the font isn't embedded in the ePUB. We've seen this a few times from INDD and from Pages, both.
Hi Hitch:
I see; that would explain why he loses the italic format. I don't use InDesign but I believe that that program can embed fonts and also has a plugin to convert directly the ebook to mobi. Maybe Chandler could use that plugin and see if it works.
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbnJrg View Post
Hi Hitch:
I see; that would explain why he loses the italic format. I don't use InDesign but I believe that that program can embed fonts and also has a plugin to convert directly the ebook to mobi. Maybe Chandler could use that plugin and see if it works.
Ruben:

Dunno. He said, above, that he doesn't embed fonts, and said further that...lemme see...

Quote:
I use styles and character styles for the italics so the css works when exporting as an epub or mobi using the plugin.
So...my idea doesn't sound right. Styles and character styles in INDD creates spans, and usually calls the font for the inline style, so, if he's not using an embedded font (or calling a font that doesn't exist), then I'm not quite sure. And damned if I know what Maverick would do to have changed it. Or iOS7...whatever. I don't know why the OS would change the export via the plugin to Kindle. Actually, this kinda makes my brain hurt.

Hitch
Old 10-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I am using Marvin with iOS7 and it is using webkit and I get italics just fine.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
Hitch, you're correct. When my clients send me a Word doc for a MAC, the italics are actually coded as Times New Roman Italic, not a valid font and Word can't find it. So my first step is to find/replace all TNRI and get them back to just font: italic. Then of course code all the italic instances so they make it through a purge of all formats. Then I can start anew. I've never had an issue Word/HTML/ePub/KindlePreviewer-mobi with italics. But there's a bunch of tweaking of the HTML and ePub on the way to that final mobi!
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
Hitch, you're correct. When my clients send me a Word doc for a MAC, the italics are actually coded as Times New Roman Italic, not a valid font and Word can't find it. So my first step is to find/replace all TNRI and get them back to just font: italic. Then of course code all the italic instances so they make it through a purge of all formats. Then I can start anew. I've never had an issue Word/HTML/ePub/KindlePreviewer-mobi with italics. But there's a bunch of tweaking of the HTML and ePub on the way to that final mobi!
Yes--I've seen that a few times, but I thought I might be wrong about this one because Chandler Design is using InDesign, which shouldn't use a non-existent or un-embedded font, if you see what I mean?

Hitch