Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #1
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too much to remember
12 or 13 inch tablet for comics

I'm looking for a big tablet. 12; 13 inch. It will only be used for reading comics so it's not important if it has 3G or it's the latest model, or has the crispest screen. The only things I take into consideration are battery life, weight, expandable memory (usb, sd card) and how it feels. And price of course, I don't want to spend 600 bucks if possible. Does anyone have one that he/she is happy with and would recommend?

Thanks, Ripper
Bookripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
You might snoop Amazon to get some ideas, read the reviews. I considered one but opted for a ten inch but the 13 looked very interesting.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
There aren't many 11"+ Android tablets. The Toshiba Excite 13 was a bit mediocre and around $650 when it came out last year, but that might make it a good second hand candidate.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Bookripper
Connoisseur
Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookripper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know that there's not a lot of choice, especially not for a good price. I already looked around online a bit but I'd like info that's a bit more solid than reviews on the website of an online shop.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
You might watch weight if you plan on holding it. I got an Iconia 10 inch and at first I thought I bought an anchor, though have gotten used to it and it isn't a bother.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
MGMONKEY
MGMONKEY began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note
Hello

I too am on the look for a tablet for reading comics. I picked up a cheap 10.1 tablet on Amazon last year, but the pages are definitely not displayed large enough for me

I started investigating 11.6" Android tablets. 2 of which have recently been released.

The VOYO A15

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VOYO-A15-Scr...words=voyo+a15

&

The ALLFINE 11.6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ALLFINE-Fine...ywords=allfine

BUT, these last couple weeks I have spotted that there is a strong rumour that Samsung are soon to release a 12.2"Galaxy Note tablet. Which may be more expensive, but should sync up with my Note 3 lovely if I wanted to, plus I'd feel a little more secure buying something from Samsung, than a company I know little about that have just had a few boxes imported in.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...online-1182249

Supposedly there a many larger screen tablets coming in the next 12 months or so.

MGMONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Large form factor tablets are only really starting to hit the market and I'm not sure that their are enough currently available to make the features and pricing competitive.

Purchasing a refurbished or 2nd hand device that comes close to fulfilling any requirements can, literally, "buy time" until more devices are brought to market. This will allow you to avoid some of the early adopter issues that will arise. It also gives programmers time to produce software better suited to the larger screen size. IMO, it will be at least 12-18 months before large screen devices will really come into their own.

I cannot suggest any specific device to you as, personally, I was only interested in 7" devices for convenience reasons.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Bookripper
Connoisseur

I already got a 10 inch Acer Iconia, which I'm very happy with by the way. So I can wait a bit longer for something acceptable hits the markets. What's available now is not what I'm looking for. I never buy refurbished or second hand electronics. The 12.2"Galaxy Note tablet sounds OK though, but it will be expensive, no doubt...
Old 09-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Check out this thread on what might be comming in the future https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223397
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
grapiuna
grapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notesgrapiuna can name that song in three notes

Device: Have Onyx Boox M96 (Had KoboGlo, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-900, Kindle).
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" and it is nice.
The resolution is not very good to videos but to read is excelent.
grapiuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:12 AM   #11
Bookripper
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapiuna View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" and it is nice.
The resolution is not very good to videos but to read is excelent.
Good for you, but this is about big tablets. Not 10 Inch.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Try the Archos/Arnova Familypad 2, if you are in the EU or maybe US too,

or if you can get your hands on one, the Toshiba Excite 13(select countries only and probably discontinued)

Both have 13.3' screens. Reviews should be plenty in youtube.

Some more info here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202500

Last edited by rhari79; 10-01-2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: info
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote