View Full Version : epub download

Schwarzenegger
07-22-2013, 01:10 AM
We are going on a short holiday and I thought I would get my wife a few ebooks by her favourite Barbara Taylor Bradford. I thought the price at Angus and Robertson was high enough but then I had to download another ereader and another app and I thought that that was a lot of trouble for software I really don't need because I already have FBreader on my tablet and calibre on my desktop. All I want is the ebooks downloaded in epub format either on my desktop or directly on my tablet. Not asking too much I thought. All efforts to simply get the books I bought downloaded were unsuccessful because I refuse to get more useless stuff on my desktop. Finally I demanded and received a refund but this hasn't solved the problem. Are there any more accommodating ebook suppliers? It is so easy with Gutenborg and Mobileread.

meeera
07-22-2013, 02:44 AM
It's the publisher's decision to apply DRM locks to their product, not the bookseller's. If you're unwilling to even install ADE (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "useless stuff") on your computer, I really don't think there's much else you can do. You need to download a DRM-locked book with ADE first before you can get started on removing DRM (and you can't be advised on that on Mobileread).

If you are willing to suck it up and install ADE, can I recommend that your next stop be your local public library? Overdrive has a pile of BTB books, no payment required. (I'm guessing there's software for Galaxy Tab; it isn't on the list of incompatible devices.)

Toxaris
07-22-2013, 04:59 AM
It's the publisher's decision to apply DRM locks to their product, not the bookseller's.

I am wondering about that. Over here the DRM is replaced by social watermarking in most shops due to social pressure. This is approved by the publishers.

However, as of a few days Google sells books over here via their Play store. These books have the DRM restriction imposed on them. That is the decision of Google, not the publishers in this case.