07-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Last year I changed my laptop over to Windows 8. I had the Mobipocket reader backed up on a hard drive, and when I copied it back to my new system and tried to open my ebooks I can't. I get this message:
The retailer HANDRACK_2405 of the eBook has not been found in the list of Mobipocket partners. Please check your Mobipocket Reader software is uptodate. Then redownload this eBook directly from the retailer website
Obviously neither Mobipocket nor the retailers exist anymore. I've also downloaded Calibre and the plugin necessary to remove the DRM, but since I cannot open the e-books in the reader, I also cannot remove the DRM.
So I wonder if anybody has run into the same issue and has been able to get around it?
07-09-2013, 12:59 PM
You'll have to ask about DRM removal specifics at the same place you get the removal tools (you can get help in the comments section) as we aren't allowed to discuss it here.
That said, Mobipocket Reader uses a device/install specific code called a PID (I'd guess this is the issue you're running in to) and books are encrypted to that specific code. Therefore a new download is needed for each device (or install of Mobi Reader) that you want to read a book on. Hopefully you have the PID code saved somewhere for the books you are wanting to work with.
07-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi, thanks for your reply. I understand we aren't supposed to discuss DRM removal here, and that's ok. The issue really is that I can't open my ebooks in Mobi reader. I do have the files for all my ebooks and I've imported my library back into the reader, but when I try to open them I get the above-mentioned message.
I do have the PID code for my reader, but I can't download the books again because the retailers don't exist anymore. So that's where I'm stuck.
07-12-2013, 10:11 PM
When you install Mobipocket Reader on a new device (even from a backup), it creates a new PID. Your backed-up books are keyed to the PID from before you installed Windows 8. Since your new Windows 8 installation of Mobipocket Reader has a different PID, it recognizes that it can't open the books and wants you to download them again with the new PID.
To use the old files, you'll need to retrieve the PID that your old installation used. I don't know how to do that, but someone from where you found the tools might.
07-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I know it doesn't help you, but the position you find yourself in is precisely the reason why it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA to remove the DRM from a book as soon as you buy it.
07-31-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks, yes I opened the reader from my backup disk but it showed the same PID so that didn't work either. So, I'm going to make my life easy, throw in the towel and just use my Kindle.
And remove the DRM when necessary.