View Full Version : Mobi2Mobi Mobi2Mobi v0.13 - GUI for Mobiperl tools

Pages : [1] 2

Jad
03-05-2008, 11:00 PM
****Kindle AZW File Users Alert****
Amazon Kindle (AZW) files now tie the Clipping Limit and TTF Flags into the DRM of the file. Using Mobi2Mobi (GUI) too remove these flags from DRM'd files will result in an unreadable file. Always ensure you only use Mobi2MobiGUI on copies of the original files.
Check the Kindle forum for more information regarding AZW DRM'd files.

v0.11 Has a fix courtesy of DiapDealer to address the potential truncation of the Mobi2Mobi output into the GUI textbox due to NULL characters in the text. The new v0.11 zip also contains the LoRes version of the GUI.

I have also finally released the current VB code for both the FAT & Slim versions of the GUI.

As always make sure you have backups of your files prior to making any mods, especially if you do in place modifications.

Note v0.11 Supports PRC, MOBI & AZW file extensions natively. Kindle users don't need to rename their AZW files to MOBI to use the GUI as some of the older guides on the web refer to older versions of the GUI.

Requirements:

MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Mobiperl Mobi2Mobi tool Perl/Win32 v0.0.42 or greater
VB Source Code requires MS Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition or greater

------------------
Please have a play and feedback any comments you have. Make sure you read the ReadMe.txt for the GUI requirements.

The Mobi2Mobi GUI source code is being released under GPLv3. Note that the code is largely undocumented and is released as is. I'm not the tidiest programmer so excuse what are probably a bunch of big no no's in the code. If you make use of the code or make any improvements, please send me a copy as I'm always interested in learning.

http://www.spikeyinteractive.com/images/Mobi2Mobi_GUI.png

http://www.spikeyinteractive.com/images/mobi2mobi_guilores.png

wmaurer
03-06-2008, 11:45 AM
You beat me to it ;-)

Although I was thinking about using Python so that it runs on Linux as well.

jbenny
03-06-2008, 04:39 PM
As soon as I click on "Open File", it crashes. See attached screen dump. I'm running WinXP SP2 and have the dotNet v1 and v2 stuff installed. Other dotNet programs work ok.

jbenny
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
You beat me to it ;-)

This could be a perfect opportunity to learn Mono :)

Jad
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM
hi jbenny, thats very strange. I initially started development in VC#2008 but decided most people probably wouldn't have v3/3.5 of .NET. I checked the project and its built under .NET v2.0.50727 SP1. It sounds like one of the core system dlls is awol. You can always install the latest v3.5 of .NET as this includes the previous versions and just adds a bit of extra stuff.

Sorry for not having a more definative answer for you.

Jad
03-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Ok back again. I did a check on a non SP1 v2 .NET install and I can reproduce the error that you got jbenny. I installed the SP1 update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=79BC3B77-E02C-4AD3-AACF-A7633F706BA5&displaylang=en

And after the reboot the program worked fine. Give it a go and let me know if you are still having issues.

Jad
03-06-2008, 05:39 PM
Ok my original reply has to be approved by a moderator apparently. jbenny, I tested on a non SP1 v2 .NET install and got the same error. Installing v2 .NET SP1 corrected this.

Give it a go and let me know how you went.

JSWolf
03-06-2008, 06:51 PM
I've just receive a nice crash. I do have the latest .net 2 with all the updates. And I have the latest Mobi2Mobi v36.

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'H:\E-Books\SonyReader\MobileRead\PRC\0-AD\mobidata.m2m' because it is being used by another process.

Jad
03-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback Jon. I actually just got that error myself. I'll have to look at a better way of doing the open code. Currently I open a new process to run the Mobi2Mobi exe converting the PRC file to a temp MOBI file, at the same time I pipe the output to a text file 'mobidata.m2m'. I have a thread sleep command after the initial process runs before I then read the first line of the text file to retrieve the Database Name. Its a bit of a cludge and sometimes the initial process doesn't close before the system trys to read the file.

Does it do it to you all the time or just the once so far? I'll see if I can find a better way of doing this other than increasing the thread sleep time.

Jad
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Ok back again.. I've squashed the 'Being used by another process' bug so hopefully this won't re-occur, also it speeds up the open file and convert process slighty as well. I'll release a v0.02 with these fixes as well as the ability to set a default path for your eBooks. Be up soon, got go get some free morning tea first.

Ortep
03-07-2008, 07:37 AM
I really like a gui. Great job but I think I found a new bug.

The program starts, I can select the working directory, but as soon as I click the open file button I get:

Jad
03-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Well the GUI is now almost a true frontend for Mobi2Mobi. I finally figured out the code to read the Mobi2Mobi output to parse out Author & Publisher details. I'll start playing with Cover Images next to get that working.

I also fixed the default eBook directory feature, which was supposed to work in v0.02 but due to my fat fingers I deleted a .Text in the wrong spot somewhere along the line and poof it stopped working.

Also quite a few people are having exception errors when using the GUI. You absolutely 100% must have Service Pack 1 for .NET Framework v2 installed. The only really easy way to check this is to open Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel and see what it says. The .NET Framework 2 entry should have Service Pack 1 as part of its name. If it doesn't you will need to install it.

JSWolf
03-09-2008, 10:57 PM
I've merged the threads because there is no need for seperate threads for every new version.

Jad, you might want to remove the 002 attachment and place the 003 in place of it.

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Thanks JSWolf, I've updated the original post with the new version of the GUI.

Did SP1 for .NET v2 fix your crashing problems??

Cheers again.

JSWolf
03-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I just tried .03 and it didn't work. I'd put in the info and click convert and nothing.

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Did you tick the appropriate boxes for the fields you changed?

JSWolf
03-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks JSWolf, I've updated the original post with the new version of the GUI.

Did SP1 for .NET v2 fix your crashing problems??

Cheers again.
I already had the latest Net v2 with all the patches. That wasn't a problem.

JSWolf
03-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Did you tick the appropriate boxes for the fields you changed?
Sure did. And when I installed .03, I put it in the same directory as I had .02. And that directory does contain mobi2mobi.exe and is in the path as well.

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Sorry, quite right... Thinking of the wrong bug. I'll try again =8) I hope you haven't received the file in use problem again.

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:12 PM
Are you modifying an existing .MOBI file? The feedback window should output the contents of the converted file. Did you change the output filename at all, or did you leave it as original? I'm just trying to figure where the possible break might be.

Cheers

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Ok spotted one bug related to supporting .MOBI extensions. On a reload of the .MOBI file the Book Title text does not reflect the Title contents stored in the .MOBI file it still reports the Database name.

Because the GUI originally only supported PRCs I grabbed the Database name and automatically write that out as the Book Title. If you don't specify a --Title flag when converting, I found that the Title contents reflected the pathname of the original file, which would look weird in Mobipocket etc that refer to the Title field. (Must report this as a bug to tompe actually)

tompe
03-09-2008, 11:26 PM
If you are parsing the output I should probably clean it up and make sure that all relevant output is on stdout. I could also add some flag for output more suited for parsing...

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi Tommy,

Its not actually a problem at the moment. The search code parses the output and looks for the various strings I need such as:

EXTH item: 100 - Author -

It then grabs the full line and I split based on the dashes as delimters into a string array. The last array value is the information I need and I just trim the space off the front to give a nice tidy value... Easy after you bang your head on the keyboard long enough. =)

Jad
03-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Actually thinking about it. Outputing the detail in a INI file type arrangement would make life for Window programmers really easy as I think all the languages can leverage off of the built in INIFile type calls which make life really easy to pinpoint keys and read their values. I do that very basically for the Default directory handling.

JSWolf
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Are you modifying an existing .MOBI file? The feedback window should output the contents of the converted file. Did you change the output filename at all, or did you leave it as original? I'm just trying to figure where the possible break might be.

Cheers
I've tried both and nothing at all. It's like it's not picking up mobi2mobi.

Jad
03-10-2008, 12:13 AM
That is really strange. So long as they are in the same folder it should see the mobi2mobi.exe file. Hmm. Did v0.02 have the same problem?

Just to clarify, when you open either a .PRC or .MOBI the only fields that get updated are:

Book Directory
Opened File
Output File

Jad
03-10-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi Jon,

Ok I've duplicated the problem and its my fault. Thank you so much for reporting this as it will impact a whole bunch of people. Ok in the short term to try the GUI out until I fix a pathing issue. Stick the mobi2mobi.exe in the same folder as your .PRC or .MOBI file.

I'm fixing right now and should have an update in 30min.

JSWolf
03-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I'll wait for the update. It's just easier that way.

Jad
03-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks Jon,

I'm going to be a bit delayed now as I have to dash out the door for a bit. I'll try and squash this tonight and get a working version up tomorrow. Sorry to everyone having the same problem. Use the workaround until I fix this.

Cheers

JSWolf
03-10-2008, 12:36 AM
Not a problem.. I didn't need it at the moment. I was just testing it for when I want it. Sometime Monday will be fine with me.

tompe
03-10-2008, 07:25 AM
Actually thinking about it. Outputing the detail in a INI file type arrangement would make life for Window programmers really easy as I think all the languages can leverage off of the built in INIFile type calls which make life really easy to pinpoint keys and read their values. I do that very basically for the Default directory handling.

I put this idea on the list of possible things to do. Just now I do not have any time to work on this but it is on the list so I will not forget it.

Ortep
03-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I had to update .NET 2 with SP1 also on my XP box. Now it works fine. In a couple of hours I will check it on a Vista system. That one has .NET 3 and .NET 2

The GUI looks good, it saves a lot of people a lot of typing

When I look in the output I can also see:

EXTH item: 105 - Subject - 15 - Science Fiction

It would also be nice if that one can be changed. But off course Tom should implement it in his tools first.

Hmmmm...there are also some entries for the 'abstract' of the book as far as I know.

tompe
03-10-2008, 09:05 AM
It would also be nice if that one can be changed. But off course Tom should implement it in his tools first.

Hmmmm...there are also some entries for the 'abstract' of the book as far as I know.

It probably can be changed already. You can do

mobi2mobi --exthtype subject --exthdata "New Subject" --outfile new.mobi in.mobi

And the type is the key in the hash:

my %typename_to_type = ("drm_server_id" => 1,
"drm_commerce_id" => 2,
"drm_ebookbase_book_id" => 3,
"author" => 100,
"publisher" => 101,
"imprint" => 102,
"description" => 103,
"isbn" => 104,
"subject" => 105,
"publishingdate" => 106,
"review" => 107,
"contributor" => 108,
"rights" => 109,
"subjectcode" => 110,
"type" => 111,
"source" => 112,
"asin" => 113,
"versionnumber" => 114,
"sample" => 115,
"startreading" => 116,
"coveroffset" => 201,
"thumboffset" => 202,
"hasfakecover" => 203,
"204" => 204,
"205" => 205,
"206" => 206,
"207" => 207,
"clippinglimit" => 401, # varies in size 1 or 4
"publisherlimit" => 402,
"403" => 403,
"cdetype" => 501,
"lastupdatetime" => 502,
"updatedtitle" => 503,
);

Ortep
03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
I had to update .NET 2 with SP1 also on my XP box. Now it works fine. In a couple of hours I will check it on a Vista system.

Quoteing myself:

There will be a problem fot Vista Users. There simply is no SP1 for .Net 2 available for Vista. This is what I found on the MS site:

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Jad
03-10-2008, 05:33 PM
Ortep, when I squash the latest bug which is a real pain, I'll do a compile under C# 2008 and you can give that a go under Vista, only drawback is you may need to install .NET 3.5 Framework.

Ortep
03-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I'm in no hurry. Take your time. I'm not complaining. Only giving you the information

Jad
03-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Its all good.. I didn't mean to sound like I was being rushed.

Good news is I think I finally fixed the Mobi2Mobi.exe location bug so you can actually specify a location for it now and convert PRC & MOBIs wherever they live. It was a real mish mash of massaging some paths with quotes to get around Windows problem with paths with spaces in them and some internal commands which didn't have a problem with spaces, but bombed if you tried to use quotes.

I'm just tidying the way I populate the Book title details now based on wether its a PRC or MOBI file being opened and then v0.04 should be up.

Jad
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Ok everyone v0.04 is now available. On first use you will need to point the GUI at the directory which contains the Mobi2Mobi.exe.

The GUI will now process PRC & MOBI files. When opening a PRC file the Book Title will automatically pickup the Database name and check the Book Title tick box to update this on convert to MOBI. On opening a MOBI the GUI will just read the exisiting Longtitle entry.

Next on the list is Coverimage support.

Hopefully this version will now behave the way its supposed to. As always please feedback any bugs you encounter.

Jad
03-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Implementing the Coverimage support wasn't as time consuming as I thought.

Please grab this latest version and let me know if you encounter any problems.

Cheers

john the basset
03-11-2008, 01:39 AM
You beat me to it ;-)

Hi, newbie here... I really wish someone would write a script so that I can use this on my linux notebook.... If I knew how, I would. As it is, if it's not in mobi format, or simple rtf/html I can't read it on my cybook(all I have is linux based). In other words, I cannot convert my other book formats to prc. Sigh.
john

Ortep
03-11-2008, 04:03 AM
I'm working in a complete Vista environment, no XP available at this time.

I just installed .Net 3.5. According to MS it also includes SP1 for .Net 2.0.

I tried the both new versions and they let me select the various directories. When I select a file I get the following error.

Jad
03-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Hi Ortep,

The error occurs because the GUI is trying to process information that wasn't generated when the Open File button is pressed. The #1 cause is that the GUI can't see the Mobi2Mobi.exe. If you've set the directory and the Mobi2Mobi.exe is named exactly as here then its something new. Bummer. It will be interesting to see if you have the same problem under WinXP. I'll try and get around to building a Vista VM Appliance and do some testing.

Jad
03-11-2008, 07:22 AM
Arrgghhh. Just found another weird bug. Can some else try this and confirm for me. If the Book Directory is located anywhere other than on C: drive somewhere, the GUI crashes.

Oh well something to look at tomorrow.

Ortep
03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
Arrgghhh. Just found another weird bug. Can some else try this and confirm for me. If the Book Directory is located anywhere other than on C: drive somewhere, the GUI crashes.

Oh well something to look at tomorrow.

I can confirm this...All the problems went away as soon as I moved my "mobi work" directory from D: to C:

The .Net 2.0 version is working and the .Net 3.5 version

Jad
03-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Looks like I fixed the Book Directory issue where it would only work for folders on C: drive.

Please download the latest version and give it a try. As always please report any problems you encounter, plus any additional features you might like to see.

Cheers

JSWolf
03-11-2008, 06:55 PM
Looks like I fixed the Book Directory issue where it would only work for folders on C: drive.

Please download the latest version and give it a try. As always please report any problems you encounter, plus any additional features you might like to see.

Cheers
One problem I have found is if I make my changes and then click convert, it converts. But if I want to make another change and then reconvert, I have to open the book again and make the changes. Would be nice it if noticed I made a change and allowed me to convert again without opening the book again.

JSWolf
03-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Ok, another bug has cropped up I think...

When I add in a cover to a book that does not have a cover, I get the cover image on page 0 and page 1.

Jad
03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
What I can do is renable the Convert button and uncheck the tick boxes for the Book Title, Author, Publisher & Image boxes. You would then have to recheck the field you wanted to change and then reconvert. The other way would be to load the newly converted file after a convert and then you make then changes. Essentially the GUI would do the Open File for you. I'm leaning towards the later as you get the latest information stored in the MOBI file and don't run into potential old data in the various fields. I'll look at it.

Cheers

Jad
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
The GUI now loads the newly converted MOBI file at the end of the convert process. You can make additional changes if needed without having to open the file to do so.

Jon can you give this a whirl and see if it does what you wanted.

Cheers

Jad
03-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I noticed the double cover as well just recently. I don't think the problem is mine though as I purely just build the various flags for the Mobi2Mobi.exe. I'll test purely in DOS and if I can duplicate the problem I'll report it to Tom.

Jad
03-11-2008, 07:57 PM
Looks like Mobi2Mobi is replacing a thumbnail on Page 1 with a full size coverimage, and hence looks like 2 coverimages is a row. I'll report this over in the Mobiperl thread as it might already be a known issue.

JSWolf
03-11-2008, 09:20 PM
I'll wait for that bug to be fixed and then try it again. What I am going to use the GUI for is to fix all the books downloaded from here that were made were generated wth BD in PRC and get the metadata sorted and maybe some of the covers.

madcatcasey
03-12-2008, 09:32 PM
I can't seem to figure out how to add a cover to my .mobi ebook. I've succesfully opened the ebook, and I can change and save the author and title info, but when I add an image, select the tick box, and select 'Convert', the resulting book does not seem to contain any image...

Am I missing a step or something?

Thanks,

madcatcasey
03-12-2008, 09:36 PM
Ok. Nevermind. It actually does add the image, but the image does not seem to show in MobiPocket reader. It does, however, show up on my Cybook, which is what I really care about.

Thanks for the tool, btw. I love it! If you need any C# help, say the word..

Jad
03-12-2008, 10:48 PM
With the release of Mobiperl 0.37 there are some fixes for the Coverimage & Thumbnail offsets which alter the way the images are stored. This corrects a problem where the Coverimage image is also used on the TOC page. This does not appear to happen now with the new version. You can also extract the Coverimage & Thumbnail files now if they exist. Big props to Tommy for adding this.

I've finally got the Coverimage & Thumbnail previews working in the GUI and I'm just tweaking it a little. V0.08 should be up shortly.

Glad the GUI is proving useful MadCatCasey. I could have done with some C# help about an hour ago as I was trying to suss out how to update my preview images, damn process locks on files mutter mutter... Anyway all working now. =8)

Jad
03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
**** As from v0.08 of the GUI you will need at least v0.37 of the MobiPerl Tools. Please grab the latest Win32 Binaries from the MobiPerl thread. Thanks to Gudy for these.*****

The latest version of the GUI now provides Coverimage & Thumbnail preview support. Thanks to Tommy for adding the extraction flags to the Mobi2Mobi app to allow this.

Also the v0.37 Mobi2Mobi.exe also handles images differently and so far seems to address the issue where a Coverimage when added was also referenced on the TOC page instead of the thumbnail image, giving the appearance of a double up.

Please grab the latest version of the GUI and report any issues you may encounter.

Cheers

DaleDe
03-13-2008, 12:54 AM
Ok. Nevermind. It actually does add the image, but the image does not seem to show in MobiPocket reader. It does, however, show up on my Cybook, which is what I really care about.

Thanks for the tool, btw. I love it! If you need any C# help, say the word..

In MobiPocket Reader the image should show up as a thumbnail in the Library view and if you open a book and go to previous instead of next you will see it. The drop down list GOTO also includes the cover page. Basically the book opens just past the cover as you might think it would with a paper book.

Dale

Ortep
03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
I did a brief test on XP and found no problems. Tonight I will test it on Vista and on a D: drive

The program looks great

Ortep
03-14-2008, 03:49 AM
OK, it took me a while because I couldn't get it to work on my Vista system. There were no crashes, but the covers did not show up in the mobi book. I tested several different pictures and a couple of books. The I copied the complete directory to the XP box. And to my suprise it did not here work also. Then I remembered that the first test on the XP system was done with another book. I tried that one again and it worked. So it seems there are differences in the original files.

Things like Author, Title etc are changed as requested. Only cover art and thumbnails are are a problem in some cases.

I have the feeling that the problem isn't in the gui but in mobiperl. But I'm not sure of that

tompe
03-14-2008, 07:06 AM
I have the feeling that the problem isn't in the gui but in mobiperl. But I'm not sure of that

You can probably test that by doing "mobi2mobi --savecover cover --savethumb thumb file.mobi" and see if the cover and thunb files are saved. They will only be saved if the file is a real MobiPocket file where the cover and thumb has been set in the correct way.

Ebook lover
03-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Hi guys,

Could anyone explain to me what this Mobi2Mobi is for?

tompe
03-14-2008, 07:34 AM
Could anyone explain to me what this Mobi2Mobi is for?

mobi2mobi is one program in MobiPerl and it is used to manipulate meta data in a MobiPocket file. It can also be used to manipulate the images that are save in the MobiPocket file. "Mobi2Mobi GUI" is a GUI to mobi2mobi.

Ortep
03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
You can probably test that by doing "mobi2mobi --savecover cover --savethumb thumb file.mobi" and see if the cover and thunb files are saved. They will only be saved if the file is a real MobiPocket file where the cover and thumb has been set in the correct way.

The original file has no picture so I could not test it. When I added the cover (selecting all three option) it dit not show up in mobireader. When I used mobi2mobi with --savethumb, the correct thumbfile was saved. So it was in the correct format. Just to be sure I used this file as input for a second run with a new cover. No luck

tompe
03-14-2008, 09:34 AM
The original file has no picture so I could not test it. When I added the cover (selecting all three option) it dit not show up in mobireader. When I used mobi2mobi with --savethumb, the correct thumbfile was saved. So it was in the correct format. Just to be sure I used this file as input for a second run with a new cover. No luck

So you did not see it in the "library" view? In the book it seems it starts inside the book so you have to go back to see the cover image.

Ortep
03-14-2008, 10:12 AM
It is not visible in the "Library View". When I open it I start at the first page of the book. Going 'back' does not help.

If you want I can send you the files so you can have a look.

Ebook lover
03-14-2008, 11:47 AM
thank you tompe!!

Jad
03-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Made alot of changes to the internal programming of the GUI to make it more generic for potential future support of other Mobiperl tools.

Changed the way data was parsed from the PRC/MOBI files and hopefully the GUI should be a little quicker when opening files and populating field information.

As always please let me know if you have any problems.

Ortep
03-19-2008, 04:35 AM
I just tested it on my XP machine. It starts, it let me choose the mobi2mobi directory, the ebook directory and the file. But as soon as i choose a file it stops. I let it run for about 20 minutes, but nothing happened. I had to kill it with the task manager. The processes I see are the Mobi2MobiGUI, using no CPU at al, but I also see two mobi2mobi processes. One of them is only 1400 K, also doing nothing, the other uses 14500K and is using 50% of my CPU.

Ortep
03-20-2008, 06:24 AM
I did some extra testing. It seems that even the old versions are ot working anymore. Ik looks like the problem is on my machine. Tonight I will test it on the Vista system.

Ok, I did the test on Vista...here it seems to work OK. I don't know waht changed on my XP system. It is not my own that computer so I cannot do everything I like

bwaldron
03-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I just tested it on my XP machine. It starts, it let me choose the mobi2mobi directory, the ebook directory and the file. But as soon as i choose a file it stops. I let it run for about 20 minutes, but nothing happened. I had to kill it with the task manager. The processes I see are the Mobi2MobiGUI, using no CPU at al, but I also see two mobi2mobi processes. One of them is only 1400 K, also doing nothing, the other uses 14500K and is using 50% of my CPU.

Same symptoms here.

On my PC, seems to be a problem with the windows mobiperl binary -- it hangs even when run by itself. The perl version runs fine -- but is of no use with this GUI.

tompe
03-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Same symptoms here.

On my PC, seems to be a problem with the windows mobiperl binary -- it hangs even when run by itself. The perl version runs fine -- but is of no use with this GUI.

The GUI ought to be configurable with respect to what binary to use so that the Perl program can be used.

I will not debug the Windows version problem since it probably is impossible to to without recreating the problem. If somebody else find out what the problem is I will fix mobi2mobi. You run "mobi2mobi file.mobi" and it hangs? Or do you have to give some specific flags for it to hang?

bwaldron
03-26-2008, 08:14 AM
The GUI ought to be configurable with respect to what binary to use so that the Perl program can be used.

I will not debug the Windows version problem since it probably is impossible to to without recreating the problem. If somebody else find out what the problem is I will fix mobi2mobi. You run "mobi2mobi file.mobi" and it hangs? Or do you have to give some specific flags for it to hang?

Yep, if I run the .exe file it hangs. No specific flags necessary.

I generally run the mobiperl programs via the perl interpreter; I only tried the compiled binaries to check out the GUI (I was using mobi2mobi a lot to fix a lot of files that showed up incorrectly on my new Cybook).

I just tried mobi2html.exe and got a hang as well -- there is apparently something that my system does not like about the compiled versions of the mobiperl programs.

Jad
04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Been a while since I released the last version of Mobi2Mobi_GUI and it seems quite a few people are giving it a go.. Just a quick check to see if anyone has encountered anymore problems or is it all just working dandy for you all.

Ortep
04-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Been a while since I released the last version of Mobi2Mobi_GUI and it seems quite a few people are giving it a go.. Just a quick check to see if anyone has encountered anymore problems or is it all just working dandy for you all.

At this moment I can't use it because the executable of mobi2mobi isn't working for one reason or another. Bwaldron also reported it. As far As I know the problem is not with Mobi2Mobi_GUI

Jad
04-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Made a quick mod to the GUI to support the PERL file directly instead of using the Win32 compiled version which seems to be causing some problems for some people.

Provided you have Perl setup exactly as described by Tommy you will only need to ensure the perl file of mobi2mobi is called mobi2mobi.pl. You just point to the directory with the file in it and tick the Use Perl tick box.

Hope this helps out some people. Let me know as usual if you have any problems.

Ortep
04-22-2008, 05:59 AM
I did some fast testing and it seems to work fine here on my XP box

bwaldron
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Thanks! Looks good upon a quick test.

Made a quick mod to the GUI to support the PERL file directly instead of using the Win32 compiled version which seems to be causing some problems for some people.

Provided you have Perl setup exactly as described by Tommy you will only need to ensure the perl file of mobi2mobi is called mobi2mobi.pl. You just point to the directory with the file in it and tick the Use Perl tick box.

JSWolf
04-22-2008, 05:44 PM

But you cannot call it .10. It's still whatever version you used to modify it.

Jad
04-22-2008, 06:32 PM
The Mobi2Mobi_GUI has been incremented to 0.10 as I made some internal modifications to my program to support the Perl version of Tommy's Mobi2Mobi program. As per the readme so long as you are using v0.0.37 of the Mobiperl tools or the Win32 compile the GUI should hopefully work fine. Who's version numbering do you believe I'm stepping on? =8)

DaleDe
04-22-2008, 06:33 PM
But you cannot call it .10. It's still whatever version you used to modify it.

He went from .009 to .010 which is perfectly legitimate way to track changes.

Dale

JSWolf
04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
I do apologize for getting it all wrong. Please ignore my previous post in this thread.

JSWolf
04-22-2008, 08:35 PM
But does that mean that there will be a fork in the versions as some of us are not using the pearl version and are using the Windows compiled version?

Jad
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok I've done some more tidying up and made the GUI a little smarter so that when you specify the Mobi2Mobi directory it will check for either a valid mobi2mobi.exe Win32 compile filename or a valid mobi2mobi.pl Perl filename. If you have both versions in the directory you can select to use either one.

I've also added some basic button checks on the Open & Convert buttons. You can't open a file unless a valid mobi2mobi.exe or .pl is found and you can't convert a file unless you actually open one to start with.

Hi JSWolf, the GUI supports both the Perl installed version and a Win32 compiled version and differentiating between the 2 should hopefully be a little more straight forward now within the GUI. The only caveat is that the both versions need be a minimum of v0.0.37 of the Mobiperl tools as there are features that the GUI requires that only exist from that version onwards.

Hope this makes sense to everyone. As always let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

Cheers

Jarrod

tompe
04-23-2008, 01:01 PM
But does that mean that there will be a fork in the versions as some of us are not using the pearl version and are using the Windows compiled version?

What is pearl? Did you mean Perl? The binary is a Perl version also. It just includes the interpreter and pack all the Perl code in one file.

Ortep
04-24-2008, 05:36 AM
Ok I've done some more tidying up and made the GUI a little smarter so that when you specify the Mobi2Mobi directory it will check for either a valid mobi2mobi.exe Win32 compile filename or a valid mobi2mobi.pl Perl filename. If you have both versions in the directory you can select to use either one.

Hope this makes sense to everyone. As always let me know if you have any problems or suggestions.

Cheers

Jarrod

This one woks for me. Thanks for the good work.

The only things I'd like to see to make it perfect, in order of importance, are:

1) Set the 'language'. That one is needed because otherwise my dictionary needs that.
2) Set the 'Genre'. That makes it more easy to find a book
3) Set the 'Description' Just because I'd like it :)

tompe
04-24-2008, 06:20 AM
This one woks for me. Thanks for the good work.

The only things I'd like to see to make it perfect, in order of importance, are:

1) Set the 'language'. That one is needed because otherwise my dictionary needs that.
2) Set the 'Genre'. That makes it more easy to find a book
3) Set the 'Description' Just because I'd like it :)

You can set description in mobi2mobi with:

--exthtype description --exthdata "New descr"

I have also just added a flag --description which will be in the next version.

Is there a EXTH header entry for genre? I did not find it in my documentation.

I do not think you can set the language with mobi2mobi now but I will try to add it and go through my tickets and do a new release in the weekend.

Jad
04-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Since Tommy is going to all the hard work to surface the extra flags to allow these mods I'll look at incorporating them into the GUI when they make it into the mobiperl tools.

Thanks for the feedback and improvement suggestions.

Ortep
04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
n.

Is there a EXTH header entry for genre? I did not find it in my documentation.

I do not think you can set the language with mobi2mobi now but I will try to add it and go through my tickets and do a new release in the weekend.

I'm not sure about the 'genre' EXTH header. But I can see it when I use Notepad++ to open a simple test book I made from a Word file.

The book is called: This is a test Book
The language is: English US
The author is: This is the Author
The genre is: Technology

The information is also in the OPF file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<package unique-identifier="uid"><metadata><dc-metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/metadata/dublin_core" xmlns:oebpackage="http://openebook.org/namespaces/oeb-package/1.0/">
<dc:Title>This is a test Book</dc:Title>
<dc:Language>en-us</dc:Language>
<dc:Identifier id="uid">98B2B26D1F</dc:Identifier>
<dc:Creator>This is the Author</dc:Creator>
<dc:Publisher>This is the Publisher</dc:Publisher>
<dc:Subject BASICCode="TEC000000">Technology</dc:Subject>
<dc:Description>This is the Description</dc:Description>
</dc-metadata><x-metadata>
<output encoding="Windows-1252"></output>
</x-metadata></metadata>
<manifest>
<item id="item1" media-type="text/x-oeb1-document" href="This is a test Book.html"></item></manifest>
<spine><itemref idref="item1"/></spine>
<tours></tours>
<guide></guide>
</package>

It looks like it is called "Subject"

tompe
04-24-2008, 09:22 AM
I
It looks like it is called "Subject"

Then I know what it is. The thing is that a book can have more than one subject entry so I have to write code for handling this since I do not think I have done that before.

tompe
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Since Tommy is going to all the hard work to surface the extra flags to allow these mods I'll look at incorporating them into the GUI when they make it into the mobiperl tools.

--language and --description is now in the subversion version:

https://dev.mobileread.com/trac/mobiperl/

Ortep
04-25-2008, 03:05 AM
--language and --description is now in the subversion version:

You two guys are working fast.

I can't do any testing the next two weeks because I'm traveling and actually using the cybook for reading

Jad
04-30-2008, 09:38 PM
With the release of v0.0.38 of the MobiPerl tools I have updated the GUI to support the 3 new flags:

Subject
Description
Language

From v0.12 you will need to update your Win32 compile or Perl version to v0.0.38 for the GUI to work.

As always please advise of any problems or features you would like.

Cheers

Ortep
05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
I did some testing on an XP machine. I tried it with Perl and with the binaries. Sofar everything seems to work great. When I'm back from my holiday I'll will some more testing

The last test showed it worked great on Vista

rheostaticsfan
05-22-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm just trying your GUI for the first time. I have .NET 2.0 and v 0.38 of mobiperl-win.

I can set up the directory for the script and the book files, but when I click on the Open File button I get the error:

Method not found:'System.String
System.Windows.Forms.OpenFileDialog.get_SafeFileNa me()'.

Can you help?

Jad
05-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Hi rheostaticsfan,

The problem is most likely due to SP1 for .NET2 not being installed. You can check to see what version you have installed by looking in the Add/Remove programs control panel applet. It will say SP1 at the end of the .NET 2 install if its installed.

I'm currently working on v0.13 and this will require .NET 3.5 as I've moved to C#2008 as my development platform.

Ortep
05-23-2008, 02:55 AM
I found a small glitch in the current version. When I enter information in the 'description' field most of the time I use cut&paste. That works great if the is only one paragraph. But as soon as there are two paragraphs it only accepts one. I guess the 'break' between the two is causing this. It is no big deal, I can work around it.

gmaddry
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Using .net 3.5, GUI v0.12 and mobi2mobi .38 under XP SP2, I have notice that to change a longbook tille takes 2 converts. Has anyone else seen this problem?

gmaddry
05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Related to my problem updating book title( Longtitle), the check box for book title is check when I open a new book. If I uncheck and change booktitle and then recheck box, longtitle is changed.

Jad
05-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi gmaddry,

Are you converting a PRC file to a MOBI file when this occurs? Also are you going by the output window in the GUI to confirm the change or are you doing it from the command line using Mobi2Mobi.

Spellbot 5000
06-01-2008, 07:00 AM
I've noticed this as well. My theory is though that PRC files will not accept these long titles, and the software is first trying to change the title, then convert to MOBI. If that is the case and PRC files can't accept the altered/long titles, trying to change them first does nothing because the file is still PRC. Only after it's converted once to MOBI can you then change the title because that function is now supported by the new format.

Just guessing though...

tompe
06-01-2008, 08:39 AM
I just looked at mobi2mobi and the intention is that the --title flag should work both for a real MobiPocket file and for a prc file without MobiPocket header. The interesting thing is to see the sequence of commands that fails.

Jad
06-01-2008, 08:37 PM
I've just tested this on some PRC files and they all work fine. Hmm.. This is the process that the GUI goes through when you open a file initially. When you open a file its converted into a temp MOBI file. Cover image & thumbnail files are extracted to temp files also if they exist. If the opened file is a PRC then the Databasename is extracted and populated into the Booktitle field and the checkbox ticked. The reasons for this is that if you convert a PRC to mobi without specifying the --title flag the longtitle data is populated with the name of the PRC file.

Once you have made any additional changes within the GUI and press convert the changes are made against the temp MOBI file and output to the Output Filename specified.

Nothing happens to a file until you press the convert button. Simply opening a file does nothing except extract metadata information from the PRC / Mobi file. Changes are only commited to the Output File on pressing convert.

Hope that helps....

gmaddry
06-02-2008, 09:59 AM
This happens when I am converting a .prc file to a .mobi . I have found if I uncheck the box and make the change and then check the box the title is changed. This is verified by checking the output box within the GUI and by opening the book. If I leave the box checked the original title is used, discarding my changes. Using the create tool form Mobipocket results in shorted and changed titles, which is why I am using the GUI and mobi2mobi.

Jad
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi gmaddry,

Ok that makes sense if you are changing the title of a PRC after opening it. The GUI only picks up the field information on tickbox selection. I'll have to look at the code and see if I can add some code to capture change of text while the tickbox is checked so you don't have to deselect and reselect to pickup the changes.

Jad
06-02-2008, 10:54 PM
From v0.13 onwards you will need to install .NET 3.5 Framework. I've switched to C# Express 2008 and I'm using Vista as my development environment.

I've added the ability to add a manual EXTHTYPE & EXTHDATA entry for use on conversion.

I fixed my booktitle field so that on converting a PRC if you don't like the booktitle I add, you can change it, the tickbox deselects on this change forcing you to re-tick to pickup the change of title.

I've moved things around a little also to accomodate new functionality.

As always, please advise if you encounter any problems.

xmx
06-24-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm trying to use v013 on a vista machine, .net 3.5 and everything updated.
I am seeing an issue.
No output file gets written if I try to add an image file and flag the "Use as Thumbnail Option" . I do not get error messages, in the output window everything stops after the first 2 lines (output path).
If I don't select that option all works fine.
BTW When loading an image I see the preview only under "cover Image", not "thumbnail".

Tks,
Antonio

Jad
06-24-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi xmx,

I'll have a look and see if I can duplicate your problem. Are you modifying an existing MOBI file or a PRC file?

The preview only displays in the cover image pane by design. I should probably change the title to Cover Image / Image Preview.

Cheers

xmx
06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm trying to modify a prc file. If first I convert into .mobi without selecting thumbnail, then reopen the mobi, open an image, select thumbnail, it works.

I also noticed that the program locks up if I try to open a .prc that already has images. Does not happen with all of them but if you want I can provide the file that crashes it.

BTW thanks for writing this very useful software. Makes it really easy to update lots of books. In my wish list a feature to process multiple files in one shot would be great (i.e. assign same author to a number of files).

Thanks,
Antonio

xmx
06-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Another small issue I noticed is that when it reloads the file after you save it it truncates the file output name.

Here a little flag "overwrite" would be useful if you are just making edits but don't want to change the name anymore.

Jad
06-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Hi xmx,

Thanks for the extra info, this will make it easier to try and replicate the problems you are having. Have you tried doing the same mods just using the original Mobo2Mobi.exe at the command line? Its possible that the problems maybe with Mobi2Mobi itself and not the GUI.

Can you give me an example of the truncation problem you are seeing?

Also, yes please attach a copy of the problem PRC file that causes the crashing problem. I assume its a non DRM'd and public domain title.

Cheers

Jad
06-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Oh, I also forget to say that I've thought about the batching of books idea and its on the back burner as a feature to add. I've just got to figure out a way of presenting it in a useful way, I may need to right a different tool to do this.

You could always have a crack at it yourself, its actually quite a good way to learn programming if you have a specific task you need to achieve. The community is very helpfull here.

Jad
06-30-2008, 06:49 PM
The Mobi2Mobi GUI source code is being released under GPLv3. Note that the code is largely undocumented and is released as is. I'm not the tidiest programmer so excuse what are probably a bunch of big no no's in the code. If you make use of the code or make any improvements, please send me a copy as I'm always interested in learning.

You will need Microsoft Visual C# 2008 Express Edition & .NET Framework 3.5 to open the solution.

Leep
07-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I've installed and am trying to get the GUI version of mobi2mobi to work. Get win 32 confirmation when defining the mobi2mobi directory but when I try to open a book I get the following:
Exception Text **************
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Mobi2Mobi_GUI.Form1.UpdateBookFields(String datapath, Boolean open)
at Mobi2Mobi_GUI.Form1.btnOpenFile_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Any idea what I'm doing incorrectly?

cheers

Jad
07-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi Leep,

If you downloaded the v0.13 version you need to make sure you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. If you have v0.12 then you need .NET Framework 2 with SP1. Can you confirm what versions you have and this will help narrow down the problem.

Cheers

Jad

Leep
07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Leep,

If you downloaded the v0.13 version you need to make sure you have .NET Framework 3.5 installed. If you have v0.12 then you need .NET Framework 2 with SP1. Can you confirm what versions you have and this will help narrow down the problem.

Cheers

Jad
Thanks for your quick reply - yes I have downloaded and installed netframework 3.5 (assumed that I should not uninstall 1, 2.0 or 3.0?) and I have sp1 installed and activeperl 5.10.0 build 1003.

Any ideas what I should try next?

pilotbob
07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your quick reply - yes I have downloaded and installed netframework 3.5 (assumed that I should not uninstall 1, 2.0 or 3.0?) and I have sp1 installed and activeperl 5.10.0 build 1003.

Any ideas what I should try next?

If you install .Net 3.5 then 3.0 and 2.0 and all SPs to those come along for that ride as .Net 3.0 and 3.5 are a superset of .Net 2.0.

BOb

Jad
07-02-2008, 06:31 PM
Hi Leep,

If you have the appropriate version then I'm not sure whats going on. The only time I have ever been able to replicate this sort of fault is when the wrong version of .NET was installed for the compile.

Does the problem occur on all MOBI/PRC files? What paths are you using for the Mobi2Mobi directory and eBook path? There was a bug a long while ago that didn't like drives other than C: but that was sorted I thought.

Sorry but I've run out of ideas. You can always grab the source code and try a compile yourself and see how you go.

Jad

Leep
07-02-2008, 06:53 PM
Ok as a quick recap I show the following installed:
.net framework 1.1 (and hot fixes)
.net framework 2.0 sp 2 beta (and hot fixes)
.net framework 3.0 sp 2 beta
.net framework 3.5 sp1 beta
Mobiperl-0.038.tar (and mobi2mobi.exe, etc.) in a file called mobiperlwin
When I run the Mobi2mobi GUI file and define the directory, it recognizes the mobi2mobi file and assigns a win32 check. My output file is called ebooks to convert. I've tried to open several different prc books, and get the following error details.
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3031 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Mobi2Mobi GUI
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner.Lees_laptop/Desktop/mobiperl/Mobi2Mobi_GUI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
If I ignore the warning and convert, I get:
C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.Lees_laptop\Desktop\ebooks to convert>"C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.Lees_laptop\Desktop\Mobiperlwin\mob i2mobi.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.Lees_laptop\Desktop\ebooks to convert\Babbitt.mobi"

but no book in that file

Unfortunately, my programming days were in the 70's so I'm over my head in today's world of windows!

cheers

Jad
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Hmm..

I'm wondering if something has been broken in the Beta service packs for the .NET Framework. I noticed that you are opening the books from a directory with a "." in the name. This shouldn't be a problem, but I've seen weird pathing problems before with the GUI, could you please try putting a book in the root of C: drive and trying opening it, and see what happpens, actually also put a copy of the Mobi2Mobi.exe there as well and change the location path. Let me know how you go. If you get the same problem, I'll build a virtual machine with all the Beta SPs and see if I can duplicate the problem.

Cheers

Jad

pilotbob
07-02-2008, 10:32 PM
Sorry but I've run out of ideas. You can always grab the source code and try a compile yourself and see how you go.

Why not give him a debug build so you can get some line numbers where the error is occuring. Errors like that are usually coding errors, not framework problems.

BOb

Leep
07-02-2008, 11:24 PM
ok - moved mobi2mobi.exe, prc book file and mobi2mobi GUI to C:\ and changed path in program.
Same error when trying to open file - when ignoring and continuing convert got: C:\>"C:\\mobi2mobi.exe" "C:\Jinxed.mobi" - but no file produced.

Incidentally, I also tried to run mobi2mobi.exe from the command prompt with no success. I have installed active perl sucessfully, but had problems trying to install the two packages from http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca.ppms/package.lst I got the repository successfully shown in ppm preferences, but 0 packages load. Can this be my problem? If so, can you give me more detailed instructions on how to install those two packages?

Or: B0b can you give me more detailed instruction on how to produce a build debug. Remember, I'm an ancient Fortran, Extended Basic person.

cheers

pilotbob
07-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Or: B0b can you give me more detailed instruction on how to produce a build debug. Remember, I'm an ancient Fortran, Extended Basic person.

cheers

Wow, that really depends. If you are using Visual Studio [Express] it as as easy as setting the build configuration in the toolbar to "debug". If you are using the command line csc or vbc compiler you will have to specify debug mode. If you type csc or vbc with no parameters I believe it gives you help.

BOb

tompe
07-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Incidentally, I also tried to run mobi2mobi.exe from the command prompt with no success. I have installed active perl sucessfully, but had problems trying to install the two packages from

You do not need active perl just to run the binary mobi2mobi.exe. Try to set the path (however you do that in Windows...) to the binary or give full path when starting it.

Leep
07-04-2008, 01:03 PM
You do not need active perl just to run the binary mobi2mobi.exe. Try to set the path (however you do that in Windows...) to the binary or give full path when starting it.
Have given up on GUI - However am now able to run Mobi2Mobi from command prompt. I must have had a corrupted file the first time, because after I re-downloaded and extracted it, it works great. Unfortunately, the new mobi2mobi.exe file did nothing for my GUI errors - still same error messages.

Wonderful tool! Many thanks to all who worked on creating and testing it and all the hard work perfecting the programming. You guys rock!

Cheers

RickyMaveety
07-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Well, I don't think the GUI is going to work for me either, and I'm not certain about how long it will take me to try and run the program from the command line (although, I suppose if I troll around in these threads long enough, I may be able to parse the command structure out.)

I really (really) wish that editing the metadata in a mobi file wasn't such a royal pain in the rear. :(

Leep
07-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Running mobi2mobi from the command prompt is really easy. Just make sure that you put both the mobi2mobi.exe file and your book in the same directory. Then from the command prompt change to that directory. The command is then: mobi2mobi.exe (the name of your book file with extension) --outfile (the name of your new file with the extension .mobi, .prc or .azw - put it in quotes if it has spaces) --title (put the new title in quotes) --author (author's name in quotes)

Send me a note if you have problems.

cheers

RickyMaveety
07-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Running mobi2mobi from the command prompt is really easy. Just make sure that you put both the mobi2mobi.exe file and your book in the same directory. Then from the command prompt change to that directory. The command is then: mobi2mobi.exe (the name of your book file with extension) --outfile (the name of your new file with the extension .mobi, .prc or .azw - put it in quotes if it has spaces) --title (put the new title in quotes) --author (author's name in quotes)

cheers

I'll give it a try later today. Thanks. I think the thing that will take the most time will be grabbing the cover art out of calibre, and then putting it in a form that I can use in mobi2mobi.

It just breaks my heart that Kovid doesn't like the mobi format ... I do so wish he would write an lrf2mobi. However, I also wish there would be peace in the Middle East, and that's not going to happen anytime real soon either.

kpg
07-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Thanks so much for posting the source code! I just saw it now :) If I use it in another program or add any features I'll make sure to post and share.

stark23x
09-01-2008, 05:20 PM
For people experiencing recent hanging errors with Mobi2Mobi GUI: read AlexBell's post in this thread (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=244613&postcount=7). Looks like a registry cleanup might fix the problem! It seems to have fixed for myself and Alex.

elena
09-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Is it possible to set NEUTRAL in language?

dskag
09-18-2008, 05:19 PM

cheers

I ran mobi2mobi.exe from the command prompt. I get and whole string of facts that looks like the program worked (no error notices). But, where do I find the new changed .mobi file? Can't seem to locate it. Thanks.

tompe
09-18-2008, 05:37 PM
I ran mobi2mobi.exe from the command prompt. I get and whole string of facts that looks like the program worked (no error notices). But, where do I find the new changed .mobi file? Can't seem to locate it. Thanks.

You must use "--outfile filename" to get a new file. Otherwise you only get information about the original file.

Jad
09-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Is it possible to set NEUTRAL in language?
Hi Elena,

The GUI language options are as per the Mobiheader.pm file that comes with the Perl version of the Mobiperl tools. You will have to check with Tompe the creator of that program to add a character code for 'Neutral'. It certainly recognises 'Neutral' as a valid entry based on the code.

Update: Apparently if you do it at the command prompt level, the following setting will set the language to neutral ' --language "" '. Currently the GUI won't let you tick the language change option unless you select a language code. I'll have to add a NULL option so this will work.

Jad
09-19-2008, 12:52 AM
To address the requirement that Elena raised, the GUI has been updated with a NULL entry in the language drop list to allow setting of the language within a MOBI file to NEUTRAL. This is a really simple mod so I won't be updating the GPL release of the source code.

elena
09-19-2008, 05:13 AM
To address the requirement that Elena raised, the GUI has been updated with a NULL entry in the language drop list to allow setting of the language within a MOBI file to NEUTRAL. This is a really simple mod so I won't be updating the GPL release of the source code.

thank you, thank you, thank you very much! :)

dskag
09-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Thanks, tompe. Got it to work.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Hi Jad,

I'm sure I missed a post about this but since mobi2mobi works on .azw (even DRM'd) files, can this GUI be revised to work with them? Right now it only recognizes .mobi and .prc files.

Thanks.

Jad
11-12-2008, 07:55 PM
To address the requirement that daffy4u raised, the GUI has been updated to accept .azw as a valid source file extension to support Amazon Kindle files. This is a really simple mod so I won't be updating the GPL release of the source code.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 07:56 PM
To address the requirement that daffy4u raised, the GUI has been updated to accept .azw as a valid source file extension to support Amazon Kindle files. This is a really simple mod so I won't be updating the GPL release of the source code.

Yay! Thank you!

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
I just tried it with XP and had very good success. The only things I noticed is that even though I tried to name each of the book titles with an XP in front, the XP was left off and the normal title came through. I've been able to make changes like that in Vista with the previous version.

Also, even those this books were downloaded from Amazon as DRM'd .azw files, they were renamed with the .mobi extension. All books opened just fine.

Here are some pics. I'm off to try Vista next.

Jad
11-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Any fields that you modify within the GUI requires you to tick the modified tickbox. This flags those entries as requiring updating during the convert process. The GUI will always output files with a .mobi extension as technically this is what they now are.

Glad it all appears to be working for you.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 09:09 PM
Any fields that you modify within the GUI requires you to tick the modified tickbox. This flags those entries as requiring updating during the convert process. The GUI will always output files with a .mobi extension as technically this is what they now are.

Glad it all appears to be working for you.

I did check the box but nothing happens in Vista either (see images 2 and 3).

Jad
11-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Hmm. Looking at the 2 screenshots it looks like the ticked changes worked fine. The output filename you specified and the book title all look fine. After a convert the GUI opens the converted .mobi file to repopulate the fields to confirm your modifications were successful.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Hmm. Looking at the 2 screenshots it looks like the ticked changes worked fine. The output filename you specified and the book title all look fine. After a convert the GUI opens the converted .mobi file to repopulate the fields to confirm your modifications were successful.

I don't know. I even tried changing the extension from .mobi to .azw with no luck.

I just tried taking the .mobi file from v.15 and running it through v.14 to see if the title would change and still no luck.

C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\Downloads\Mobi2Mobi_GUI_v014>"C:\Python26\Tools\Scripts\mobi2mobi.exe" "C:\Users\XXXX\Desktop\test\Vista2_My Vampire Cat or Whatever.mobi"
Database Name: My Vampire Cat, or Whatever
Version: 0
Type: BOOK
Creator: MOBI
Seed: 0
Resdb:
AppInfoDirty:
ctime: -1968466898 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
mtime: -1968466898 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
baktime: -2082844800 - Sun Jan 0 00:00:00 1900
---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
START IMAGE INDEX: 12
COVER IMAGE INDEX: 0
PDHEADER Version: 2
PDHEADER Length: 21434
PDHEADER NRecords: 11
PDHEADER Recsize: 2048
PDHEADER Unknown: 158266
MOBIHEADER ciflg: 65535
MOBIHEADER ciptr: 65535
MOBIHEADER doctype: MOBI
MOBIHEADER length: 208
MOBIHEADER booktype: 2 - BOOK
MOBIHEADER codep: 1252
MOBIHEADER uniqid: 3776101978
MOBIHEADER ver: 4
MOBIHEADER exthflg: 64
MOBIHEADER language: 9 - 9 - 0 - ENGLISH -
COVEROFFSET: -1
THUMBOFFSET: -1
EXTH doctype: EXTH
EXTH length: 184
EXTH n_items: 10
EXTH item: 1 - drm_server_id - 9 - EBOOKBASE
EXTH item: 2 - drm_commerce_id - 11 - AMAZON_1110
EXTH item: 3 - drm_ebookbase_book_id - 5 - 10491
EXTH item: 100 - Author - 17 - Payne, Michael H.
EXTH item: 113 - ASIN - 10 - B000FBJ3ZW
EXTH item: 401 - ClippingLimit - 1 - 0xa
EXTH item: 403 - 403 - 1 - 0x0
EXTH item: 503 - UpdatedTitle - 27 - My Vampire Cat, or Whatever
EXTH item: 116 - StartReading - 4 -

Jad
11-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Ok the output file is created with the new name but the actual book title is not being updated and is staying the same within the converted .mobi file.

Which version of Mobi2Mobi are you using?

Have you tried doing the change purely at a command line level to see if the problem persists? The GUI is just a fancy batch file builder and the issue you are having maybe in Mobi2Mobi itself. If the mods you are making work at a command line level then its my GUI causing the problem.

Sorry I don't have any non/drm'd .azw files to test with.

Can you please test at the command line level to help narrow down where the problem is?

Cheers

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Ok the output file is created with the new name but the actual book title is not being updated and is staying the same within the converted .mobi file.

Which version of Mobi2Mobi are you using?

Have you tried doing the change purely at a command line level to see if the problem persists? The GUI is just a fancy batch file builder and the issue you are having maybe in Mobi2Mobi itself. If the mods you are making work at a command line level then its my GUI causing the problem.

Sorry I don't have any non/drm'd .azw files to test with.

Can you please test at the command line level to help narrow down where the problem is?

Cheers

I'm using 0.0.40.

I just finished the command line version and it doesn't seem to be working either. The file name changes but the book title doesn't.

I've been working on a Kindle Visual guide using a DRM'd file from BooksonBoard which has worked no matter what I've thrown at it (even after Kindlfixing into a .azw file from .prc). This Amazon version is kicking my butt.

wallcraft
11-12-2008, 10:00 PM
The file name changes but the book title doesn't.

On the Kindle there have been reports that the "updatedtitle" will over-ride the longtitle (from --title), and that if this already exists you may need: mobi2mobi --outfile [output filename] --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata "[Corrected Title]" [original AZW/MOBI filename]
See Change book title to remove typos and extraneous info? (http://www.amazon.com/Change-remove-typos-extraneous-info/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/TxJHQ7INYWI1XR/1/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=5&asin=B000FI73MA&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=Mx3L3B1YG7GJD7S#Mx3L3B1YG7GJD7S).

Jad
11-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Allrighty... If its not working at a command line level then its a Mobi2Mobi issue. You'll need to post this over in the Mobiperl thread and see if tompe can sort out what is going on with the book title not updating correctly. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Hopefully tompe can fix this for you.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 10:03 PM
On the Kindle there have been reports that the "updatedtitle" will over-ride the longtitle (from --title), and that if this already exists you may need: mobi2mobi --outfile [output filename] --exthtype updatedtitle --exthdata "[Corrected Title]" [original AZW/MOBI filename]
See Change book title to remove typos and extraneous info? (http://www.amazon.com/Change-remove-typos-extraneous-info/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/TxJHQ7INYWI1XR/1/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=5&asin=B000FI73MA&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=Mx3L3B1YG7GJD7S#Mx3L3B1YG7GJD7S).

So I guess this is info that I should place in the "exth data" box of the GUI> I'm going to give it a try.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Allrighty... If its not working at a command line level then its a Mobi2Mobi issue. You'll need to post this over in the Mobiperl thread and see if tompe can sort out what is going on with the book title not updating correctly. Sorry I can't be of further help.

Hopefully tompe can fix this for you.

Thank Jad. I appreciate you making the update at my request and being patient enough to walk me through it. If Wallcraft's suggestion doesn't work, I post in the mobiperl thread.

Thanks again. :)

Jad
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks for that Wallcraft..

Yes the updatedtitle should be the last entry in the exthtype drop list.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 10:25 PM
*That* was the ticket Wallcraft. The GUI now with the "exth data", works perfectly!

Jad
11-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Glad its working for you as intended now daffy4u.

I might look at modifying the GUI to process the book title as per this method when the book source is .azw. This will save having to know you need to play around with the updatedtitle exthtype. I might bug you via PM when I get that mod sorted for testing if you don't mind.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 10:34 PM

I might look at modifying the GUI to process the book title as per this method when the book source is .azw. This will save having to know you need to play around with the updatedtitle exthtype. I might bug you via PM when I get that mod sorted for testing if you don't mind.

I'm so very happy. I like knowing how to use the command line but I much prefer a GUI. I am happy to help out and be your guinea pig anytime.

Thanks again, so very much. :)

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Here are the results of v16. The original title of the book is "Bite".

In the pics 1 and 2, I forgot and used the "exth data" box to name the file "Don't Bite".

In pics 3 and 4, I *did not* use the "exth data" box and named the book "I'll Bite".

The last pic is from my Kindle where both titles showed up correctly. IT WORKS!!!!!

Jad
11-12-2008, 11:57 PM
When converting an AZW file with the Book Title field updated, the GUI also updates the exthytype 'updatedtitle' with the same details. On Kindles the 'updatedfile' field overides the 'longtitle' field info.

Thanks to wallcraft for pointing us in the right direction in regard to this.

Big thankyou to daffy4u for testing this latest version.

daffy4u
11-12-2008, 11:59 PM
When converting an AZW file with the Book Title field updated, the GUI also updates the exthytype 'updatedtitle' with the same details. On Kindles the 'updatedfile' field overides the 'longtitle' field info.

Thanks to wallcraft for pointing us in the right direction in regard to this.

Big thankyou to daffy4u for testing this latest version.

The Big Thanks goes to you and Wallcraft! :thanks:

pilotbob
11-13-2008, 12:20 AM
The Big Thanks goes to you and Wallcraft! :thanks:

Quack quack quaaaaaaaaaaaakkk !!! For Daffy!

BOb

daffy4u
11-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Quack quack quaaaaaaaaaaaakkk !!! For Daffy!

BOb

:D:D:D

Leep
11-13-2008, 01:08 AM
I'm jealous. My GUI mobi2mobi still won't work. No pretty pictures in the cmd prompt version.

cheers

daffy4u
11-13-2008, 01:11 AM
I'm jealous. My GUI mobi2mobi still won't work. No pretty pictures in the cmd prompt version.

cheers

Vista or XP?

Edit: The previous tests for v16 was with Vista. I just tried XP and it works as well. The time I changed the title "Night Shift" to "Day Shift".

tompe
11-13-2008, 05:34 AM

I wonder what the intention of this field is and if it works on other readers. If it does not work on other readers the correct solution would be to remove the updatedtitle field.

daffy4u
11-13-2008, 09:24 AM
I wonder what the intention of this field is and if it works on other readers. If it does not work on other readers the correct solution would be to remove the updatedtitle field.

Ahhhhh! :eek: Please don't change anything! It's working! :)

Jad
11-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Source code for v0.16 has been added to the first page. Tidied up the first page info and removed old versions of the GUI.

daffy4u
11-13-2008, 07:28 PM
Source code for v0.16 has been added to the first page. Tidied up the first page info and removed old versions of the GUI.

I just got a report of success from someone on the Amazon Forums. Your fan club should be forming soon. :)

Jad
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Credit where credit is due... If it wasn't for Tommy's hard work, there wouldn't be a GUI for his very useful tool.

I'm glad that the GUI is proving useful to the community at large though. You see the download numbers tickover, but very few people bother to provide feedback about wether the application is doing its job.

Feedback and functionality requests from people like yourself make the time and effort spent programming worthwhile.

Ortep
11-14-2008, 02:45 AM
Feedback and functionality requests from people like yourself make the time and effort spent programming worthwhile.

I use it a lot :)

JSWolf
11-14-2008, 02:48 AM
Are that many mobi eBooks that wrong with the metadata?

pdurrant
11-14-2008, 04:38 AM
Lots of commercial mobi ebook have bad metadata, and almost all have poor covers.

TallMomof2
11-14-2008, 08:50 AM
At least 50% probably closer to 75% of my mobi books have the author entered first_name last_name instead of last_name, first_name when the author is even entered! That's my biggest pet peeve with ebooks and I spend a significant amount of reading time fixing these errors.

Leep
11-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Mobipocket library books fixed with Kindlefix usually have titles missing or mangled, so Mobi2mobi is essential.

Ortep
11-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Try downloading from Bean. Most of the time there is no or a wrong (formatted) Author, no Genre, even the Title is somtimes wrong. And I never found one that had a decent cover. And the covers are availabe, the have them on their site

DaleDe
11-14-2008, 12:05 PM
At least 50% probably closer to 75% of my mobi books have the author entered first_name last_name instead of last_name, first_name when the author is even entered! That's my biggest pet peeve with ebooks and I spend a significant amount of reading time fixing these errors.

Actually library management software should make this sort of fix unnecessary. The management display should automatically figure this out based on the presence of the comma although some complicated names may need some help.

Dale

AZed
11-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Actually library management software should make this sort of fix unnecessary. The management display should automatically figure this out based on the presence of the comma although some complicated names may need some help.

It's actually slightly more complicated than that. This is on the ToDo list for either v0.3 or v0.4 of EBook::Tools (probably 0.4, since 0.3 has been delayed longer than I wanted already, and I really don't know how to solve this well yet), and you have to discriminate between:

John de Camp, Ph. D.
John de Camp, Ph.D.
de Camp, John, Ph.D.
cummings, e. e.
Doe, John

To make matters worse, fixing the actual text of the dc:creator element is technically the wrong solution -- the machine-sorted name is supposed to be in the opf:file-as attribute, and the text is supposed to contain the byline version of the name. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to abuse the text component this way because popular-but-broken library implementations like Mobipocket Reader ignore the file-as attribute completely.

DaleDe
11-14-2008, 02:44 PM
It's actually slightly more complicated than that. This is on the ToDo list for either v0.3 or v0.4 of EBook::Tools (probably 0.4, since 0.3 has been delayed longer than I wanted already, and I really don't know how to solve this well yet), and you have to discriminate between:

John de Camp, Ph. D.
John de Camp, Ph.D.
de Camp, John, Ph.D.
cummings, e. e.
Doe, John

To make matters worse, fixing the actual text of the dc:creator element is technically the wrong solution -- the machine-sorted name is supposed to be in the opf:file-as attribute, and the text is supposed to contain the byline version of the name. Unfortunately, you pretty much have to abuse the text component this way because popular-but-broken library implementations like Mobipocket Reader ignore the file-as attribute completely.

True, the John de Camp case is one of the more complicated ones I mentioned. There is an option in opf to guide in the implementation of complicated ones with last names that include spaces and titles, such as PH.D., MD, Jr., Capt. etc. ePUB metadata also allows for guidance in the file for complicated names but for simple names the direct approach of first middle last is correct with the management tool providing the decode for the last name, first name approach.

Dale

bwaldron
11-14-2008, 06:13 PM

Many (if not most) have incomplete metadata, or data that is inconsistent with one's own standards (e.g., author name formatted as first last instead of last, first -- or vice-versa).

I run mobi2mobi on all purchased books as a matter of course.

marliebets
11-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I have downloaded the Mobi2Mobi Perl files, the Mobi2Mobi Gui program and NET framework 3.5 SP1. I am running Vista.

Everytime I try to open a azw or prc file in the GUI program I get a message that says:

Unhandled exception has occured in your application.

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

Can anyone help?

pshrynk
12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Dumb newb question: Is the link on the very first page the right one? Do I need to do anything to my Vista 64 bit machine to make it run? Kay Thnx!

pshrynk
12-23-2008, 03:30 PM
So, I got my mobi2mobi gui to work and disocvered that I can make edits right on the Kindle itself. Probably another dumb newb observation, but there it is.

b5delenn
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm buying ebooks in prc format, they show nicely in my PC (Windows XP Pro SP2) and I can even change the way the title and author shows in the library in mobipocket reader. The problem is that this option is not available in mobipocket reader for Windows Mobile: so I can read my ebooks in my ppc (ipaq 214, WM6) with mobipocket reader too, but in the library I cannot change the title or author. This is annoying and I supposse it has to be with the way its author made the prc.

I've been using the gui to change the title and add the author, it works fine except in the encrypted prc, it seems to work but when I try to open the book i get a "corrupt file" error in mobipocket.

I don't want to break the encryptation, I just want to be able to see the titles and authors properly in the ebook I've paid for, and not the "amk_shifting1" I get. I supposse the person who generates that ebook did not worry about make it show properly in the library but it's not fair for me.

Can I make something with the gui to change title/author in encrypted prc?

If you know any way I can change it in my device with mobipocket reader it works for me too, I repat, I just want to see the library with title and authors, not a jumble or abreviation of the correct title.

Thanks.

tompe
01-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I've been using the gui to change the title and add the author, it works fine except in the encrypted prc, it seems to work but when I try to open the book i get a "corrupt file" error in mobipocket.

It should work for DRMed MobiPocket files. If you give me a testfile I will check if mobi2mobi works or not on the file and try to fix possible problems.

DaleDe
01-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm buying ebooks in prc format, they show nicely in my PC (Windows XP Pro SP2) and I can even change the way the title and author shows in the library in mobipocket reader. The problem is that this option is not available in mobipocket reader for Windows Mobile: so I can read my ebooks in my ppc (ipaq 214, WM6) with mobipocket reader too, but in the library I cannot change the title or author. This is annoying and I supposse it has to be with the way its author made the prc.

I don't want to break the encryptation, I just want to be able to see the titles and authors properly in the ebook I've paid for, and not the "amk_shifting1" I get. I supposse the person who generates that ebook did not worry about make it show properly in the library but it's not fair for me.

Can I make something with the gui to change title/author in encrypted prc?

If you know any way I can change it in my device with mobipocket reader it works for me too, I repat, I just want to see the library with title and authors, not a jumble or abreviation of the correct title.

Thanks.

When you change the title and author and genre etc. in the windows version the data is not stored in the file. It is in a side file. When you move the file down to your PDA be sure and move the side file (.mdp) along with the main file.

Dale

b5delenn
01-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Hi again,

Thank you very much, It's solved: I've done what DaleDe Suggested and it worked just fine, thank you very much.

The funny thing is that I've already tried it and it did't work then, and now it works... some windows crap I supposse.

Thank you both again for the help

Good Reading.

stark23x
01-21-2009, 04:40 AM
This program drive me up a wall. It works, then it doesn't, it works on some of my machines, but not others...SO frustrating.

here's the new error:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Mobi2Mobi_GUI
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/JimK/My%20Documents/My%20Dropbox/ebooks/M2MGUI/Mobi2Mobi_GUI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Does that tell ANYONE anything that could help me get this working?

*ADDED: Also when I run it command line I get "Program too big to fit in memory." I have 4GB of RAM and a quad-core processor. How can it be too big? Am I really that computer illiterate?

brudigia
01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Version 0.16, all of a sudden has stopped working. Meaning that : I launch the GUI, OK, I set the dir, OK (I know it' s ony needed when you change ebook directory), I open a directory, pick up the .prc/ .mobi file .... the GUI hangs, I have two processes mobi2mobi, one with close to 50% of the CPU and the 14,444 KB of memory, the other with 0 CPU and 2.220 Kb of memory. Until I stop them all. This happens with 99% of my files, also those I modified with the same utility.

It also did that with version 0.14, then I installed 0.16 and it resumed working. Now it does not anymore.
What could it be ?

Edit : I' m starting to have the slight suspicion it could actually be the mobiperl tools (maybe wrong perl modules ?) as the perl conversion utilities seem to hang.

Elfyn
01-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Version 0.16, all of a sudden has stopped working. Meaning that : I launch the GUI, OK, I set the dir, OK (I know it' s ony needed when you change ebook directory), I open a directory, pick up the .prc/ .mobi file .... the GUI hangs, I have two processes mobi2mobi, one with close to 50% of the CPU and the 14,444 KB of memory, the other with 0 CPU and 2.220 Kb of memory. Until I stop them all. This happens with 99% of my files, also those I modified with the same utility.

It also did that with version 0.14, then I installed 0.16 and it resumed working. Now it does not anymore.
What could it be ?
I am having the same problem as Bruno. It is happening on 2 different Windows XP SP3 systems. I am also finding multiple instances of mobi2mobi running. It is happening with versions v013 and v016.

Jad
01-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear that so many people seem to be having problems. At the end of the day the GUI is just a glorified batch file builder. Are most people having problems using the Win32 compiles or the native Perl code? If so, what versions? The GUI was written in Visual C# 2008 and compiled against the latest .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. Make sure your .NET installs are up to date as this can cause problems. I'm sorry I can't be much help to people, it works on all my XP SP2/3 & Vista SP1 PCs.

If your feeling adventurous grab the source code and have a play.

tompe
01-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Test running the mobi2mobi command in a command window and make sure it terminates. Having hanging processes seems to indicate that it is hanging or that the GUI does not detect that it terminates.

Jad
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
The GUI runs its built batch file in a new process each time you hit the convert button, its checks to see if the process has exited and then does a close on the process to free all associated resources. If its not working correctly on some systems I may need to see if I can make that more robust.

brudigia
01-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Test running the mobi2mobi command in a command window and make sure it terminates. Having hanging processes seems to indicate that it is hanging or that the GUI does not detect that it terminates.

The suspicion is becoming more than that. I have tried what you suggested and practically only mobils works, the other tool hang and do nothing.
I shall go over the mobiperl tool forum.
BTW, the GUI, even if very simple, is very effective, that is one good reason I would dearly like the GUI + tools to work.

Bruno

brudigia
01-30-2009, 04:38 PM
I am having the same problem as Bruno. It is happening on 2 different Windows XP SP3 systems. I am also finding multiple instances of mobi2mobi running. It is happening with versions v013 and v016.

I am doing some tests. So far, it really looks like a perl problem, you can look in the mobiperl forum. Incredibly strange, it looks like it could be a protection problem, as I can work with the administrator account and not from mine, which has the same privileges anyway. Something different. I'll try to understand, and I thought I'd let you know, if you want to try as well.

scott_babineaux
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM
:thanks: Jad,

i just wanted to thank you for your work on this. I wrote a very simple gui for the lit2mobi awhile back but have not had the chance to expand on it. If you are taking feature request....it would be great if all the mobiperl functions were available; not just mobi2mobi.

thanks again

Scott

kevindorsey
03-15-2009, 05:17 PM
This is some great and resourceful thread. I should have looked in here a bit sooner. Thanks.

sabredog
03-15-2009, 11:20 PM
....it would be great if all the mobiperl functions were available; not just mobi2mobi.

It would excellent if that was the case. I would love to have an GUI interface to remove the DRM from all the MOBI books in my collection.

Cheers

Mike

bwaldron
03-16-2009, 12:20 AM
It would excellent if that was the case. I would love to have an GUI interface to remove the DRM from all the MOBI books in my collection.

There are no DRM removal tools in the mobiperl package.

MoboHobo
03-16-2009, 12:55 PM
mobi2mobi is one program in MobiPerl and it is used to manipulate meta data in a MobiPocket file. It can also be used to manipulate the images that are save in the MobiPocket file. "Mobi2Mobi GUI" is a GUI to mobi2mobi.

Thanks for that Tom. :thanks:

kevindorsey
03-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Are they planning to release an updated version for this tool?

Jad
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
:thanks: Jad,

i just wanted to thank you for your work on this. I wrote a very simple gui for the lit2mobi awhile back but have not had the chance to expand on it. If you are taking feature request....it would be great if all the mobiperl functions were available; not just mobi2mobi.

thanks again

Scott

Thanks for the feedback.. I don't have any plans for the GUI beyond its current functionality at the moment.

The source code is provided however so feel free to use this as a template and have a tinker.

I'm glad so many are finding this a useful tool to complement Tommy's excellent MobiPerl tools.

garyolman
03-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I have been successfully using mobi2mobi for quite a while now. I have recently moved the ebook directory to my F drive. Now when I call up M2M I get a "index was outside the bounds of the array" when I trell it to convert. I am on a PC, XP, SP 3 . I dont know if this could be a bug or a problem on my end. Can you suggest something?
Thanks
Gary

**** v0.16 adds .azw as a valid source file extension to support Amazon Kindle files, also if the Book Title is modified it also updates the exthtype 'updatedtitle' with the same details, on Kindles the 'longtitle' field info is overwritten with the 'updatedtitle' field info. ****

**** v0.16 source code released****

Requirements:

MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Mobiperl Mobi2Mobi tool Perl/Win32 v0.0.40 or greater
Source Code requires MS C# 2008 Express Edition or greater

------------------
Please have a play and feedback any comments you have. Make sure you read the ReadMe.txt for the GUI requirements.

http://www.spikeyinteractive.com/images/Mobi2Mobi_GUI.png

garyolman
03-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Hi Jad; I am on a PC on XP running mobi2mobi. I have downloaded all the required files and have tried to execute them. I keep getting a "the index was outside the bounds of the array" error. Can you help?. It was working and then I upgraded (I thinK) and now this error.
Thanks
Gary

Jad
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Garyolman,

Way back in the early days the GUI had issues with different drive letters and odd directories, but I thought those had all been squashed. Could you please advise the pathing to your eBook and to the Mobi2Mobi.exe so I can test my end.

Also test the Mobi2Mobi.exe at a command prompt level and see if it works. Sometimes the problem isn't related to the GUI.

Cheers

garyolman
03-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the quick reply Jad;
I have rum mobi2mobil_GUI,exe from the commamd prompt and I get the same error.
The path to mobi2mobi_GUI.exe is C:\Downloads\Mobi2mobi new\mobi2mobi_GUI.exe.
The path to the books is F:\My eBooks. The F drive is a external Hard Drive. If I move a book to the C drive the error still occurs. Thanks and Regards
Gary

Jad
03-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Gary,

Sorry the file I was refering to is the actual Mobi2Mobi executable not the GUI application. I'm assuming you are using the Win32 exe file & not the Perl version. In either case try the command line application itself to confirm it works ok with your new paths. Looking at the path information you have supplied there doesn't seem to be any obvious problems.

garyolman
03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Hi Jad
I have tried to execute mobi2mobi.exe from the command prompt. All I get is a black screen and then it clears. If I execute mobi2mobi_GUI.exe, it executes and I get the GUI screen and the index error. Yes I using win32 and the book is *prc or *mobi. I downloaded the programs from Amazon.
Gary

garyolman
03-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I have also moved one file to the C drive and tried it and no matter what the index error occurs. Also I am using the Windows search facility to index the F drive and the C drive. Some of each were not included in the indexing. I dont think this will make a difference
Gary

tompe
03-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Hi Jad
I have tried to execute mobi2mobi.exe from the command prompt. All I get is a black screen and then it clears. If I execute mobi2mobi_GUI.exe, it executes and I get the GUI screen and the index error. Yes I using win32 and the book is *prc or *mobi. I downloaded the programs from Amazon.
Gary

And you gave a filename as argument?

I do not get why you get a blank screen but I am not so familiar with Window's behavior.

Jad
04-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Hi Gary,

Are you actually running the Mobi2Mobi.exe form within a command window or just double clicking on the exe? This would explain the window popping up and disappearing. Under Windows XP go to the Start button and select Run. Type in CMD and hit enter. This should launch a command window. Change to the directory containing the Mobi2Mobi.exe file and try the conversion using manual settings for the program.

garyolman
04-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi Jad;
I am doing exactly that. BTW The date on the files is 12/07/08
Regards
Gary

Schulze
04-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Hello,

I am using mobi2mobi and your great GUI in order to edit title and author of files so that my BeBook lists the files with their correct titles.

It works fine but one problem remains: The German special characters (, , , and ) are not converted correctly - I get + for , ++ for and so on.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thank you very much in advance.

Schulze

Jad
04-22-2009, 01:53 AM
****v0.17-TestBuild changes the way the batch process is executed. Some of the weird exception problems seem to be related to the way the cmd window information was being passed back into the GUI. I've temporarily disabled this to see if this mod fixes the exception errors. I've also added a Save Batch file option. If you tick the box the Save Batch file button will appear, hit this instead of convert to dump out the m2mcmds.bat file. This file is created in the directory that the Mobi2Mobi exe or perl file resides. You can then use this for troubleshooting if you are getting strange conversion issues. Just unzip the new EXE into your existing Mobi2Mobi GUI directory and run it. Please let me know if this fixes your file opening problems.

Jad
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
****v0.18 changes the way the batch process is executed. Some of the missing file problems seem to be related to the way the batch process was executed and the output collected for display in the GUI.

I've also added a Save Batch file option. If you tick the box the Save Batch file button will appear, hit this instead of convert to dump out the m2mcmds.bat file. This file is created in the directory that the Mobi2Mobi exe or perl file resides. You can then use this for troubleshooting if you are getting strange conversion issues.

All those who previously had problems with the GUI please give it another go and report if your problems still persist.

Cheers

Jad
04-24-2009, 01:01 AM
I've been updating the GUI a little bit more and have just added Book Type support in the new build. Are there any other useful flags in Mobi2Mobi that people use on a regular basis that aren't already available?

If so, let me know so I can try and incorporate them in the next release.

CheriePie
04-30-2009, 01:11 AM
I was having problems with the current version I was using (I believe it was 0.16) so I downloaded this latest one, v0.18, and it's still crashing on me.

I'm attaching a text file with the output from the crash in case that helps.

Jad
04-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Hi CheriePie,

Does this error occur when you open an eBook for the first time?

Could you please do me a huge favour and output the details for the book you are trying to edit into a text file. You can pipe the output from Mobi2Mobi in the following way.

In a CMD window type the following, you will need to be in the directory in which the Mobi2Mobi exe resides, it would be easier to put a copy of the book in there as well.

mobi2mobi.exe mybook.extn > c:\bookdump.txt

Change mybook.extn to reflect the fullname of your eBook inclusive of its extension.

Post the bookdump.txt here in the thread.

I'm guessing that something isn't conforming to what is expected in the output file and this is causing an internal string array to bomb out.

Thanks in advance for your help.

CheriePie
04-30-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi Jarrod,
I initially composed all this in an email to you, but when I discovered that I couldn't attach a file to the PM, I'm copying it all here to the thread.

Basically, it happens with all my e-book files on the file open process, and not just the first time it's opened. I can click continue to continue past the error and keep Mobi2Mobi GUI running, but then all fields after Output File aren't filled in. (Didn't they used to be before so you could see what the values were currently set at?)

For the output you requested...
I copied the book over to the directory where mobi2mobi.exe resides as you requested, though I do have that directory in my path as well so for further testing, it probably shouldn't be necessary, unless that's the cause of part of the problem.

This particular file I'm trying to fix the author name on right now (so that it sorts by lastname, firstname on my Kindle), I'm not able to do with the standard --author "Turgeon, Carolyn". I suspect because the author is being stored in that EXTH tag. So I want to use Mobi2Mobi GUI to convert this particular one. (Though as I mentioned above, any file I try is reporting the same error.)

I originally thought it's perhaps it's based on a too long a path to my e-books directory which is "C:\Documents and Settings\Cherie\My Documents\My eBooks" and beneath that are the individual author directories as set up by Calibre. But then I realized that probably isn't it at all since I got the same error even when I copied this Godmother file I'm working on now over to the C:\Util\Kindle Tools directory.

Anyway, I hope this helps to track things down. Thanks! :)

~Cherie

CheriePie
04-30-2009, 03:46 AM
Ack! I should probably redo that with one of my books that didn't start off being DRM protected. (I legally purchased this book but stripped the DRM so I could upload it to my Kindle.)

But it's nearly 4am here and I really want to go to bed so just know that the same thing happens on ALL books, whether they initially had DRM or not. And if necessary, I can give you the output from another book tomorrow that doesn't have any of those extra fields.

Jad
04-30-2009, 05:08 AM
Thanks CheriePie,

This is fine, but another sample would be great. The GUI essentially creates this output when you hit the open button and then parses the information to populate the fields. The index problem relates to one of these fields not matching the filter string I have hard coded. This output will help me find which one is causing the problem and hopefully I can then code a solution.

Cheers

CheriePie
04-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Okay, here's another using Catherine M. Wilson's When Women Were Warriors. BTW, this book is another one that I can't seem to get the Kindle to sort properly. It keeps wanting to sort it by C instead of W even when I've used the mobi2mobi --author command on the command line.

Jad
04-30-2009, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the additional output file CheriePie. I've just tried both those files against my GUI and they both get parsed correctly by the GUI populating all the fields. Its possible that the output file is slightly different when generated by the GUI.

Can you please do me a huge favour and try to do a an open again. When you get the error can you please look in the directory that your have the Mobi2Mobi.exe or Mobi2Mobi.pl file and see if a file called mobidata.m2m has been created. Please post that file for me. Also could you please post the m2mcfg.ini file, this should be in the same path as the Mobi2Mobi_GUI.exe, and lucky last, what version of the Mobi2Mobi.exe or Perl file are you running.

Thanks for your help in trying to sort this out.

Jad
04-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi CheriePie,

Something else to test if you don't mind. I've attached a debug build of the GUI. When the error is generated additional information is included in the details section of the error window, this might help me trackdown the problem. Just copy across the new files into your existing Mobi2Mobi_GUI directory and overwrite the existing file.

Thanks again.

patricks
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Newbie question here,
I just got this working and am outputting .mobi files from a .prc (mobipocket?) file I have. Unfortunately, I'm not able to open the resulting file on Calibre (mac). Am I using the wrong tool? I must admit I saw GUI option and grabbed that (with a huge smile) after not being able to get the python scripts going.
Thanks for helping out those afraid of scripts

olaf
05-04-2009, 06:03 PM
I've used version 18 on my Vista desktop and everything works fine. I have used it on my XP laptop where it has worked in the past, but now it hangs when I enter any book name (not just the corrupt books that would always cause an error). I stepped thru the source code using Visual Studio 2008, and find that it hangs on the line "p.WaitForExit();" in the batchProcess function. This happens no matter which book I pick - even though they work fine when accessed by the same code in Vista. My XP machine has .NET 3.5 with service pack 1.

CheriePie
05-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the additional output file CheriePie. I've just tried both those files against my GUI and they both get parsed correctly by the GUI populating all the fields. Its possible that the output file is slightly different when generated by the GUI.

Can you please do me a huge favour and try to do a an open again. When you get the error can you please look in the directory that your have the Mobi2Mobi.exe or Mobi2Mobi.pl file and see if a file called mobidata.m2m has been created. Please post that file for me. Also could you please post the m2mcfg.ini file, this should be in the same path as the Mobi2Mobi_GUI.exe, and lucky last, what version of the Mobi2Mobi.exe or Perl file are you running.

Thanks for your help in trying to sort this out.

Hi, I'm just now getting back to this thread. Sorry for the delay. We're currently doing a lot of stuff relating to selling our house so I don't always get to check in here every day.

I'm still getting the error so let me first answer your questions in this post before moving on to the next and playing with the Debug build.

There is currently a mobidata.m2m file in that directory (C:\Util\Kindle Tools) but it's empty. I renamed it with a .bak extension and tried to open a file in Mobi2Mobi_GUI again. It recreated the mobidata.m2m file but it's still a blank 0 byte file. However, I'll attach my m2mcfg.ini file to this message, which is indeed in this directory as well.

Version numbers:
Mobi2mobi.exe - is there a way to find this without running a command line conversion? Typing mobi2mobi by itself on the command line doesn't yield a version number in the output, and the Version tab of the Properties dialog is completely blank. :( I know I have used this tool successfully on the command line before but I don't recall if it will echo back the version number when I do. So let me know how else I can verify the version, or else maybe direct me to another copy to download that you know is the right version.

Perl - I have mobiperl-0.0.41 on my system in that same directory, but otherwise not a standalone perl installation. Hmmm... could that be part of the problem since there's a line in my m2mcfg.ini that says UsePerl=true?

Hmmm... the forum won't let me upload my m2mcfg.ini file (keeps saying invalid file even though I'm selecting it thru the browse interface) so I'll just copy it's contents below:

[Config]
MobiDir=C:\Util\Kindle Tools
UsePerl=true
UseWin32=false
WorkingDir=C:\Documents and Settings\Cherie\My Documents\My eBooks

Additionally, a search for perl on my system turns up perl56.dll and perl.exe in my Collectorz.com\Book Collector directory, and there's also an ActivePerl folder nested in my Temp directory with a perl58.dll. (I do clean out my Temp directory regularly and it was just cleaned yesterday as a matter of fact so I suspect that's being expanded there by something going on. *shrug*)

CheriePie
05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi CheriePie,

Something else to test if you don't mind. I've attached a debug build of the GUI. When the error is generated additional information is included in the details section of the error window, this might help me trackdown the problem. Just copy across the new files into your existing Mobi2Mobi_GUI directory and overwrite the existing file.

Thanks again.

And here's the output of the Details window after the crash using the Debug build:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
at Mobi2Mobi_GUI.Form1.UpdateBookFields(String datapath, Boolean open) in K:\Mobi2Mobi\Mobi2Mobi_GUI_v019_Source_GPL\Mobi2Mo bi_GUI_v019_GPL\Mobi2Mobi GUI\Form1.cs:line 983
at Mobi2Mobi_GUI.Form1.btnOpenFile_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in K:\Mobi2Mobi\Mobi2Mobi_GUI_v019_Source_GPL\Mobi2Mo bi_GUI_v019_GPL\Mobi2Mobi GUI\Form1.cs:line 132

mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
Mobi2Mobi_GUI
Assembly Version: 0.0.1.9
Win32 Version: 0.0.1.9
CodeBase: file:///C:/Util/Kindle%20Tools/Mobi2Mobi_GUI.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
System
System.Drawing

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Jad
05-09-2009, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the feedback CheriePie, hope everything goes smoothly with the sale of your house. I think based on what you've said in your post the problem is due to the output data file not being created correctly. Without this file the GUI can't parse the information it needs to populate the various fields. Hmmm... Perplexing.

I'll need to program a little diag tool to test the data file creation. I'll post back when its ready and when you get a chance give it a try and we'll see what happens.

Thanks for you help in trying to solve this.

CheriePie
05-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Awesome. Glad to help out! :)
Ulterior motive: would love to be able to get all my authors sorted correctly too. ;)

Hawk
05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
I am getting the same crash...

Jad
05-19-2009, 10:48 PM
In an effort to see if the problems various people have been having using the C# coded version of the GUI are actually C# specific, I have ported my code across to Visual Basic and created a VB edition of the GUI.

Could all those who previously tried the C# version, try the new VB GUI and report successes or failures.

CheriePie & Hawk as the most recent people with problems, could you please test out the new VB version and see how you go.

Cheers all.

elmoglick
05-20-2009, 12:02 AM
In an effort to see if the problems various people have been having using the C# coded version of the GUI are actually C# specific, I have ported my code across to Visual Basic and created a VB edition of the GUI.

Could all those who previously tried the C# version, try the new VB GUI and report successes or failures.
Cheers all.

Didn't get very far. Won't accept the legitimate location of my MobiPerl directory that works for the C# version. Sorry...

El

Jad
05-20-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi elmoglick,

What is the path you are trying to set it too?

Cheers

elmoglick
05-20-2009, 12:28 AM
Hi elmoglick,

What is the path you are trying to set it too?

Cheers

C:\Program Files\MobiPerl

(Same exact setting as the C# version)

El

Jad
05-20-2009, 12:30 AM
Thats a pretty straightfoward directory, Hmmm. Does the GUI crash on selecting Set Dir? Can you paste a copy of the crash report here please.

Jad
05-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Okie Doke, just tweaked the open dialog a smidge to better align with VB standards and bundled in the debug PDB file which will help track line numbers in the crash code. Can you please give this one a go.

Updating to .NET 3.5 SP1 hopefully, should fix this.

edit: Deleted bad attachment

elmoglick
05-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Thats a pretty straightfoward directory, Hmmm. Does the GUI crash on selecting Set Dir? Can you paste a copy of the crash report here please.

The GUI comes up, but when I click on "Open File", a warning pops up asking me to input the directory for MobiPerl....

I'm running the 3.5 version of Microsoft.net framework, so I'm installing SP1 now to see if that makes a difference.

El

Jad
05-20-2009, 12:47 AM
When you set the Mobi2Mobi dir do you get either a Use Perl or Use Win32 checkbox appearing, or does it say 'No Mobi2Mobi Here'. You should only get a prompt on a an 'Open File' click if the GUI thinks you haven't set a directory with a valid named mobi2mobi.exe or mobi2mobi.pl program file in it.

elmoglick
05-20-2009, 01:03 AM
When you set the Mobi2Mobi dir do you get either a Use Perl or Use Win32 checkbox appearing, or does it say 'No Mobi2Mobi Here'. You should only get a prompt on a an 'Open File' click if the GUI thinks you haven't set a directory with a valid named mobi2mobi.exe or mobi2mobi.pl program file in it.

Installed 3.5 SP1, rebooted. Fired it up. Same problem. It allows me to set the directory. The error box pops up when I attempt to "open file." I've even tried copying the mobi2mobi.exe directly to the GUI program directory and setting it there.

El

Jad
05-20-2009, 01:04 AM
Arrghhh... Righto I've duplicated the problem. Once I've finished backing up my Virtual Machine I'll check my code to find out why the 'No Mobi2Mobi Here' text is displaying if you only have either the perl or win32 files and not both. Back soon...

elmoglick
05-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Arrghhh... Righto I've duplicated the problem. Once I've finished backing up my Virtual Machine I'll check my code to find out why the 'No Mobi2Mobi Here' text is displaying if you only have either the perl or win32 files and not both. Back soon...

Glad to hear I'm not going nuts... :smack:

Thanks,
El

Jad
05-20-2009, 01:21 AM
All fixed. I have updated all the attachements with the new code.

Thanks El for your help. PM sent to you as well.

Cheers

elmoglick
05-20-2009, 01:33 AM
All fixed. I have updated all the attachements with the new code.

Thanks El for your help. PM sent to you as well.

Cheers

Thanks very much. Works like a champ. Now to test on those "problem files"....:chinscratch:

El

Jad
05-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Fixed a few minor things and added the Save Batch option.

garyolman
05-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I havent been able to get this to work for a while now. However with the new VB process it seems to work fine.
Thanks

Gary

Jad
05-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Excellent. This was what I was hoping to hear. Any other success stories for previous users with problems?

CheriePie
05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Jad!
This new version seems to have solved many of the problems I was having as well. I apologize it took me so long to confirm. We're closing on our house in a month and I still have tons to do, pack, go through, throw away, sell, etc. We'll be driving cross country in our RV from Boston, MA to San Jose, CA. And no, I don't yet have anywhere to live once I get there! (Besides my RV.) LOL

Jad
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Thanks for testing the latest version. Glad its working for you.

Best of luck with the move, hopefully you will find a new home sooner rather than later.

olaf
06-05-2009, 10:20 AM
This fixes the problems I had as well. Thank you! Is there any chance you could post the VB source code?

Jad
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
The source code is sitting on a hard drive at work. I'll post it monday along with v0.03 which has some very minor GUI bug fixes.

Jad
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry a bit late posting v0.03 and the source code, been off sick for a couple of days. The new version and source can be downloaded from the first post page.

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to test the new VB version and provide feedback. It looks like the VB version is more reliable than the C# version. All future development of the GUI will be done using VB.

Cheers

Jad

zadriel
06-10-2009, 11:41 PM
What I want to know is can I issue the following command in this GUI?
--delexthtype 404

Thanks.

Jad
06-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Hi Zadriel,

Currently no.

What you can do is make all your changes catered for within the GUI and then do a 'Save Batch File'. You can then add that extra command into the batch file and then execute it. I can certainly look at adding this command into the GUI proper though. Alternatively you can grab the source code and modify it yourself if you wish.

Are there any other commands people use regulary that aren't currently available within the GUI?