View Full Version : Is it wise to ignore epubcheck warnings and/or errors?

Lancelot13
06-04-2013, 01:15 PM
So I dug up some old approved epubs, and out of curiosity, I ran a dozen or so through the new epubchecks. The end result is 9/10 had some kind of errors or warnings or both. Which makes me think someone has been approving without getting these files fully validated or our distributors hasn't been as diligent either before putting our files on sale.

Of course, these files has been on sales for a while now. So my question is would anyone in their right mind continue to turn a blind eye? If so, why? I suspect these old files to be ticking time bombs just waiting to stop working and crash out of newer ereaders? Am I right? or Am I worrying too much about trivial warnings and errors when files still are side-loading and QA okay?

AlPe
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
My rule of thumb is that "Errors should be fixed, warnings should be evaluated carefully". In particular, I recommend fixing any error that might break parsing the XHTML pages or the NCX TOC --- as they are the most common causes for a Reading System to "fail" loading the EPUB.

Note, however, that some errors/warnings might have popped up because epubcheck got progressively better and lately it started checking even the most hidden details of the specification, even if they completely (and safely) ignored by any (sanely coded) reading system.

JSWolf
06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I suggest fixing all errors and warnings and putting up newly fixed versions.

And when validating, use epubcheck 3.0.1 as it's the current version.

Lancelot13
06-07-2013, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not in charge of these files. Best I can do is ask questions and raise my concerns. I think epub is becoming the new pdf. Everyone thinks they can create good quality files just because they can. Mistaken quantity for quality is something publishers do way too often these days.

theducks
06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Warnings are just that. You have something (usually an extra) that should not cause a problem.
Errors are jut that. Some reader may help you along, but others will not. IMHO fix errors