View Full Version : How can I make my ebook fill up the entire iPad screen?

krausj
05-30-2013, 04:49 PM
I'm building an ePub for the iPad, and right now it looks like this:

[Image exceeds guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

How can I make the pages fill the whole thing, grey space and all? It would give me more room for text and illustrations.

Also, if anyone knows, how do I disable the page turning feature where you actually turn a fake page? Is there a way to just make it scroll?

Canuck_in_Japan
05-30-2013, 06:02 PM
Get an android? Perhaps the 16:10 aspect ratio is better suited to it that Apple's 4:3.
There should be a check box in the options somewhere that removes fake page turns.

DiapDealer
05-30-2013, 07:09 PM
I assume you mean you're building an ePub for iBooks?

Even if you were able to get rid of the fake page turns, I don't think there's a way to make iBooks "scroll". Could be wrong though. It would have never occurred to me that someone might prefer scrolling through a book.

Either way ... these are technically specific app questions, rather than being truly ePub related. "margin: 0" is all an epub can contribute to reducing margins. The rest is up to the app/device.

JSWolf
05-30-2013, 09:56 PM
iBooks is just crap when it comes to margins. It has very large margins that you have no way to get rid of. Your solution is to use Marvin or Bluefire and forget iBooks exists.

Turtle91
05-31-2013, 12:29 AM
iBooks is just crap when it comes to margins. It has very large margins that you have no way to get rid of. Your solution is to use Marvin or Bluefire and forget iBooks exists.

+1 :2thumbsup

PageLab
05-31-2013, 08:14 AM
There's no way to scroll in fixed-layout, but you can remove the page flip effect and the fake binding in iBooks by adding some metadata in the .opf:

<meta property="rendition:spread">none</meta>

To remove the grey margins, you must specify a 4:3 proportion for your page in the XHTML (for each page – viewport meta tag) and in the CSS (body tag/background images). You must also lock the orientation (landscape or portrait).

<meta property="rendition:orientation">landscape</meta>