Notices

Old 05-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
silviolorusso
Enthusiast
silviolorusso began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem with accents in the OPF file

Hello,

I'm having trouble validating my EPUB because of "special" accents in the .opf file.

Here's what I have in the .opf:

Code:
<package xmlns="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" unique-identifier="bookid" version="2.0">
   <metadata xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/" xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf">
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Xüxxx, Xxxx">Xxxx Xüxxx</dc:creator>
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Yyyyé, Yyyy">Yyyy Yyyyé</dc:creator>
and this is what I get from epubcheck:

Quote:
ERROR: /Users/silviolorusso/Desktop/PhD/digital toolkit/unike-us-epub/6-epub-slim/unlike-us-reader.epub: I/O error reading OEBPS/content.opf: Invalid byte 1 of 1-byte UTF-8 sequence.
silviolorusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
silviolorusso
Enthusiast
silviolorusso began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok solved,

I had to set the actual file encoding to "UTF-8".
silviolorusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
All files should be UTF-8 encoded. Try to avoid special characters in names when you can.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Try to avoid special characters in names when you can.
If "names" means filenames, then I agree, filenames are just arbitrary, so there's no harm in using only ASCII characters in them (and no spaces). But if you mean real person names, then I can't agree, you should always write the names with the correct characters (with the possible exception of transliterated names from other scripts... other than the main book language, of course).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Of course I meant filenames Jellby!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
accent, check, epub, error, validate