View Full Version : Footnotes

Adjust
05-01-2013, 11:59 PM
So currently the best practice for footnotes is to treat them as endnotes and either have them at the back of the book as "endnotes" or and the end of each chapter. And then have pagebreak before and after set to always so that each one appears as it's own entry

Is there a way I have the footnotes in a separate file, which does not show on scroll through?

See attached sample test...

(ignore obvious typos haha was rushed)

Agama
05-02-2013, 02:58 AM
So Is there a way I have the footnotes in a separate file, which does not show on scroll through?

Declare this separate file in the manifest section but NOT in the spine section of the OPF.

Adjust
05-02-2013, 03:03 AM
It needs to be in spine in order to validate

mrmikel
05-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Another approach in some books I have worked with is to end each chapter's text with a block with return to table of contents, previous chapter or next chapter, just in front of the end notes.

You can get a little better response time from the ereader if you aren't jumping in and out of sections. This, of course, depends on the ereader.

Agama
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM

That's unfortunate because it certainly stops it showing on scroll through.

I would be inclined to 'hide' them at the end of the book in a separate file, but check that the response time on your reader is acceptable.

Jellby
05-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Declare this separate file in the manifest section but NOT in the spine section of the OPF.

That's unfortunate because it certainly stops it showing on scroll through.

You can have it in the spine, with linear="no", and some readers might obey it and hide it from the normal flow (calibre does).

I would be inclined to 'hide' them at the end of the book in a separate file, but check that the response time on your reader is acceptable.

Agree. I prefer to have them at the end, so I don't have to page through footnotes between chapter and chapter. If there are many, it may be better to hava a separate file for each chapter's footnotes, but all of them at the end of the book.

Adjust
05-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Oh... I just tested the epub on iPad

I'm an idiot...

So, it turn out, the footnotes DO show in scroll through from ADE
but DO NOT show on page flip through in iBooks, with linear="no"

That is the only alternative...

Thanks guys

Stupid ADE had me all confused

mrmikel
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Wasn't there a song lately called maybe...shoulda been about epubs!