View Full Version : .orb ebook format

aquarianx
04-30-2013, 03:50 AM
Hi,
I have some technical books in the .orb format. These are fairly new books so it is not an old format. There is a fairly crappy reader for windows which requires flash player to be pre-installed to work.
I use Mac and I've not come across this format before. Any help with opening / converting would be welcome. Thanks.
aqx

DaleDe
04-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi,
I have some technical books in the .orb format. These are fairly new books so it is not an old format. There is a fairly crappy reader for windows which requires flash player to be pre-installed to work.
I use Mac and I've not come across this format before. Any help with opening / converting would be welcome. Thanks.
aqx

what is the name of the supplied application that is used to read this format? Our wiki article on flash player might help. The format used by flash is SWF as described in the wiki.

Dale

aquarianx
04-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The reader is called original book reader. I doubt it is openly available.

I have changed extension to swf, but no luck.

DaleDe
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the reply.

The reader is called original book reader. I doubt it is openly available.

I have changed extension to swf, but no luck.

Ah, it is very likely DRM protected in addition to a unique form. Orb obviously stands for original book reader. I would suggest the only way to change the format of this book is screen captures of pages. However, if the book is copyrighted you may be breaking laws in doing this for too many pages or for the wrong reasons. Is this a rented book or a text book? We at mobile read do not support or condone breaking copyright laws.

Dale

ellyzeyn
05-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Change the .orb extension to the .zip then extract it. There will be files with the extension gau or whatever. Change them to .swf I could find only these. I couldn't find a way to convert flash files to pdf or image files.:blink:

aquarianx
05-13-2013, 05:59 AM
Thank you very much. I can at least open them on my mac os now.

Change the .orb extension to the .zip then extract it. There will be files with the extension gau or whatever. Change them to .swf I could find only these. I couldn't find a way to convert flash files to pdf or image files.:blink:

aquarianx
05-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Any news on a proper reader for these files on mac OS? Really desperate for a proper working solution. Thanks.

flapit2004
05-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Any news on a proper reader for these files on mac OS? Really desperate for a proper working solution. Thanks.

Not even mention some app for iPad o iPhone....
Really need some kind of software for this file extension on Apple devices...:(

Thanks...

muppetzzz
05-26-2013, 11:00 AM
This guys .orb format smelt fishy so i did some research on it.
He is trying to monopolize this ebook format to maximize profit ad minimize sharing.

LWW has not made a .orb format at all. He has hired someone to create a reader based on his request as can be seen from this web page

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/Software-Architecture/Book-Reader.html

Hopefully someone can reverse the pdf>swf conversion which i think he hs done via the swf tools
Adobe acrobat is able to combine individual swf files into one pdf file, however, each page has to be done individually and is very slow.

mobius_one
06-09-2013, 04:41 AM
Hi, same here i got some books with .orb format.
I follow the steps ellyzeyn mention:
ellyzeyn:
Change the .orb extension to the .zip then extract it. There will be files with the extension gau or whatever. Change them to .swf I could find only these. I couldn't find a way to convert flash files to pdf or image files.

and then i use Kurst SWF Renderer to convert the .swf files to .png files.
After i have multiple .png files correspond to the swf files.
Open the .png files with preview in mac and export to PDF.
Use automator to combine the multiple PDF files into single PDF file.
Use any OCR software to OCR the PDF file.
The finished PDF file size would increase 5-10 times or more depending on the image content and content scale in .swf conversion.
I hope this help in any way.
thank you.

aquarianx
06-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Thank you for that.

The conversion from swf to png using Kurst SWF renderer results in very low quality files, especially for text. Are there any tweaks?
aqx

Hi, same here i got some books with .orb format.
I follow the steps ellyzeyn mention:

and then i use Kurst SWF Renderer to convert the .swf files to .png files.
After i have multiple .png files correspond to the swf files.
Open the .png files with preview in mac and export to PDF.
Use automator to combine the multiple PDF files into single PDF file.
Use any OCR software to OCR the PDF file.
The finished PDF file size would increase 5-10 times or more depending on the image content and content scale in .swf conversion.
I hope this help in any way.
thank you.

aquarianx
06-10-2013, 05:12 AM
I seem to have a working set-up for macosx.

Step 1: Rename the .orb file to .zip

Step 2: Extract files to single folder. This yields a folder with .swf files in numerical order.

Step 3: Change the extension of all the files to .swf. I used A better finder rename for this.

Step 4: Using Kurst swf renderer, batch convert all the swf files to png.
a) Open swf renderer.
b) Click "select swf" and select all the png files
c) click "select folder" and choose a folder to save the converted files
d) Change content scale to 2
e) Set background to transparent
f) Change "stop exporting" setting to "when last frame is reached" and uncheck "export swfs to sub folders"
g) Click "Start Capture". All swf files are converted into png files in one folder.

Step 5: Select all the png files and open with preview. cmd + a to select all the files in the side frame. Print into pdf as single pdf file.

A 20mb orb file becomes a 160mb pdf file, but I suppose this would depend on factors such as number of images. Text heavy files don't inflate too much in size. Hope this helps someone.

mobius_one
06-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Thank you, aquarianx for describing the steps better.
I use 2x to 3x scaling for good result.
If anyone have other ways to convert .orb ebook files please share.
I believe this is not the only way.

Thank you again.

aquarianx
06-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Quicker options to convert swf to pdf / jpg / png would be welcome.
aqx

trebloc
06-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I followed the steps above but the Kurst SWF Renderer won't convert the SWF into PNG one by one. Instead it converts the first SWF filw into multiple PNG (1560 times to be exact, which is the number of pages in the book), then starts converting 2.SWF into multiple PNG files, etc etc.

Anyone please tell me what I've done wrong?

aquarianx
06-11-2013, 03:24 AM
Make sure you have ticked the box for stop exporting "when last frame is reached"

DaleDe
06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
I have created an ORB page in our wiki for reference to this format.

Dale

JSWolf
06-24-2013, 02:00 PM
Not even mention some app for iPad o iPhone....
Really need some kind of software for this file extension on Apple devices...:(

Thank...

iPads and iPhones ARE Apple devices.

flapit2004
06-28-2013, 11:34 PM
iPads and iPhones ARE Apple devices.

Thanks for the info....!!! :eek:
I didn't know. If it wasn't for you, I would have never realized it. :thanks:

Sent from my Apple Device... (iPad, iPhone, iPod).

DJwa163
07-05-2013, 04:46 AM
I have created an ORB page in our wiki for reference to this format.

Dale

That's a great help. Thank you Sir.

Calibre is a major eBook Reader/Organizer/Converter by veteran programmer Kovid Goyal. It supports a lexicon of file formats.
I have requested the developers to add support for *.ORB format too.

Please support: [Format Support] *.ORB eBooks - MobileRead Forums (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217280)

Sothink SWF Decompiler successfully decompiles the SWFs located inside the ORB into recognizable texts! I have requested them to add a feature like "Export as PDF". That could have been an excellent solution... We'd get a searchable PDF (i.e. a real text-image PDF format), not just an Image-only PDF (as obtained by image-conversion techniques, OCR recognition is always imperfect)...

[promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Thanks...

httpfelix
09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
I followed the steps above but the Kurst SWF Renderer won't convert the SWF into PNG one by one. Instead it converts the first SWF filw into multiple PNG (1560 times to be exact, which is the number of pages in the book), then starts converting 2.SWF into multiple PNG files, etc etc.

Anyone please tell me what I've done wrong?

I have some problem, but I change the frame rate to 1, and in "stop exporting" setting, change to when last frame is reached, then change to 1 seconds, also need to select multiple swf file.

md02439
10-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Shell command to convert a .orb to a .pdf file (OSX):

1. Install pdflib, xpdf, swftools, renameutils, pdftk using homebrew, macports or other package manager
2. download swftools seperately and compile gfx2gfx (see this page (https://gist.github.com/mems/5301297))
3. (optional) comment out lines 275-287 in ./lib/pdf.c before compiling if you don't want to resample images
4. compile the library if there are errors
cd lib; make
5. create swf2pdf.sh file with your editor of choice (BBEdit, vi, etc)

#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -f "$1" ]; then
echo "File does not exist: $1" >&2
exit 1
fi
filename=$1
file_zip=${filename%.orb}.zip
file_pdf=${filename%.orb}.pdf
folder_unzipped=${filename%.orb}
mv "$1" "$file_zip"
unzip "$file_zip"
cd "$folder_unzipped"
rename .gau .swf *.gau
ls *.swf | sort -n | while read filename; do gfx2gfx "$filename" "${filename%.swf}.pdf"; done
pdftk $(ls *.pdf | sort -n) output "../$file_pdf"
cd ..; rm -rf "$folder_unzipped"; mv "$file_zip" $1

5. chmod +x swf2pdf.sh
6. ./swf2pdf your_orb_file.orb

Problem: text is not retained as such in resulting pdf but is converted to shapes (link (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/swftools-common/2011-01/msg00059.html)) -> increased size & OCR necessary

P.S. Special thanks to my brother in law for being a linux genius

md02439
01-09-2014, 09:31 AM
As of today there is an .orb file viewer for the mac: ORB reader (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/orb-reader/id792352984?mt=12&uo=4)

The developer is a really nice guy, he is quick to respond to any questions.

Regards,
Dimi

sidg219
02-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Its reasonably straightforward to rename .orb to .zip. then unzip to a folder renaming all files to .swf too.

Let Adobe Acrobat Pro do the rest. (remembering that both .swf and .pdf are adobe formats).

My converted .orb ebooks to .pdf with swf --> pdf format with Acrobat Pro 11 are of a higher image file size like 800 kb per page, but the image quality is quite good.

However, as you turn the multi-file to pdf on with .swf on, each page is converted individually before Acrobat collates them in a single pdf. Cumbersome, but atleast the quality is nice.

Someone did a single page conversion video on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0OD5Sh-h-s

Tedious brainless person who created .orb, and now we reconvert it back again. :(

Taels
06-01-2014, 06:20 PM
Easy 30-step guide on converting .orb to .pdf.
You will need:
-One .orb file
-One SWF Renderer
-One Image2PDF
-One Abby FineReader
-One FoxitReader
-One Adobe Reader XI

1. Download ORB
2. Change name of the file from ****.orb to ****.zip
3. Unpack the file
4. Shit + Right click the folder with the *.gau files
5. Select 'open command line here"
6. rename *.gau *.swf
7. Select the last file.
8. Shit + Home to select all files from the last to the first
9. Right click the first file and select rename
10. Rename it as (10000)
11. Files are now numbered as (10000).swf, (10001).swf, (10002).swf, etc.
12. Open SWF Renderer (I know, it is a paid software, but no other program does this)
13. Set frame rate to 1, export format to PNG Encoder
14. Click "Add to render queue SWF Files"
15. Select all .swf files on folder (sometimes the program will crash if you select over 600 at a time).
16. Click "start render"
17. After finished, open Image2PDF
18. Click "Add directory" or "Add files"
19. Select the .png files created with SWF Renderer.
20. Click "Make PDF"
21. Open Abby FineReader
22. Open the PDF you just created with Image2PDF
23. After OCR, export it as PDF (not PDF/A)
24. Now open FoxitReader
25. Make your own Table of Contents for the PDF. Save it.
26. Now open Adobe Reader XI
27. Open the PDF you just created with Abby FineReader
28. Click "Save As..." and save it. Do this because Adobe Reader XI makes PDF faster.
29. ????
30. PROFIT!!!!