View Full Version : ebook company purchase?

CommuteDude
03-20-2013, 04:45 PM
Hi,

I have entered a request to purchase a learning book on QlikView via my company's purchasing department. I would very much like to have that book in ebook format, preferably epub, to be able to read it on the train - as a commuter, I spend several hours a day on the train. I wonder, however, how that could be accomplished: I don't know exactly how the DRM protection works, is it bound to the purchaser?
If the company were to purchase that book in DRM-protected epub format, could I read it on my private eReader while preserving the company's "ownership" of the book?
Thanks a lot for explaining!
Regards,

CommuteDude

DaleDe
03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Hi,

I have entered a request to purchase a learning book on QlikView via my company's purchasing department. I would very much like to have that book in ebook format, preferably epub, to be able to read it on the train - as a commuter, I spend several hours a day on the train. I wonder, however, how that could be accomplished: I don't know exactly how the DRM protection works, is it bound to the purchaser?
If the company were to purchase that book in DRM-protected epub format, could I read it on my private eReader while preserving the company's "ownership" of the book?
Thanks a lot for explaining!
Regards,

CommuteDude

There are different DRM systems available so it really depends on which system is in use. See our article on DRM in the wiki for more details. But yes all of the systems are intended to allow you to read on a portable device but not all portable devices support all systems. A Web Tablet with its ability to load various reader apps generally has the most chance it reading any particular DRM scheme.

However, the company's ownership is not necessarily going to allow you to read a book as the manufacturer/publisher of the book usually assigns the DRM scheme and not the company who purchased it. The company would generally just pass through the publishers DRM since it usually allows several copies but then the company may also make a private purchase without DRM but with a site license and then issues and controls the number of copies used by its employees. You need to check with your company to determine how they manage this.

Dale

speakingtohe
03-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Probably a question your company would have to answer. They could possibly register your reading device or purchase one or more devices for the employees to use. It is their book so their decision.