Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Device: iPod Touch ipad
Unhappy Sony PRS 500 bright spot

I've had my PRS 500 since Sept 07 (I bought it off E-bay) which has been fine up to a few days ago when it developed a bright rectangular shape about 1''x0.5'' in the lower left hand corner also an horizontal line emanating from it across the page, loading the next page has also slowed down considerably in the horizontal mode. I hold a 12 month guarantee which I notice that it states "Limited Warranty" (US Only) as I live in Thailand no use, however I contacted Sony service centre here in Bangkok who tell me they can fix it but at my expense they have yet to tell me how much but I suspect it will be less than the price of postage back to the states anyone had similar?
Keith
kren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a problem with the screen controller. Hopefully that shouldn't be too expensive to replace.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #3
kren
Connoisseur
kren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enoughkren will become famous soon enough

Harry hope your right about the cost I'll let you know when I get the bill
Take Care
Keith
Old 02-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That's actually big news that they'd take a look at it there in Thailand. Surprising, really, given Sony's past attitude on the matter.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Past experiences with Sony's repair center say the cost will be a few hundred US dollars.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
kren
Connoisseur

I contacted the service centre to enquire about the repair only to be told that they had only just received it from their agent, 5 days to travel 10k. If your past experiences hold true Andy I will have to consider replacement as on option so it's a case of watch this space.
Keith
Old 03-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #7
kren
Connoisseur

re sony reader bright spot just had a message from sony service centre Bangkok about the repair 10,500 baht (£167)($331) for new parts only, not including labour you were right Andy, told them forget it and return it to me.I am now looking for a new reader not Sony anyone know what and where I can purchase in the UK.
Keith
Old 03-04-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only eInk readers officially sold to the UK are the iLiad and CyBook. I've had a CyBook Gen3 for about 4 months now and am very happy with it. It's a little more expensive than the Sony (£245 including VAT), but it does more than the Sony, and you get a warranty with it. The iLiad is rather a different beast - considerably more expensive, and more akin to an eInk tablet PC than a dedicated book reader.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
kren
Connoisseur

re- CyBook I've looked on their web site and there appears to be a waiting list is that the only place you can buy one?

Keith
Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 AM   #10
kren
Connoisseur

Hi can anyone help me with an address for Sony US where I could write to enquire about how to get my PRS500 repaired under warranty I think this will be the best option even considering that I have to send it from Thailand.
Cheers Keith
you can send to my email address
Old 03-21-2008, 12:26 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
bump in case this thread got missed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
kren
Connoisseur

Hi Jon I don't understand the message below could you explain please
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
bump in case this thread got missed.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khlong9 View Post
Hi Jon I don't understand the message below could you explain please
Keith
It's to bump the thread to the top of the new messages so anyone looking for new messages can see it and maybe help out.

The only advise I can give at the moment is to go to http://www.sonystyle.com and click Customer Care. Then click Contact Technical Support. Fine where it says Portable Reader System. You'll only find a phone number to call them. There is no email or live support that I can find. Sorry.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The problem is not getting it repaired, but getting it sent back to you. Sony will only return the Reader to an address in the US. It is an unfortunate fact that, if you live outside the US you are, in effect, buying a machine without a warranty.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:10 PM   #15
kren
Connoisseur

Hi I have heeded your advice Harry and ordered a CyBook Gen3 from NAEB I can only hope that I have more luck with this,the current order count is 31 but what this means in terms of delivery I'm not sure, however I can still use the Sony albeit with a limited screen but the malignant bright spot is now covering the battery indicator so it is far from satisfactory.
Keith