View Full Version : Start page on fixed layout epub3

brunobruno
03-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Hello!

I am hand coding a EPUB 3 Fixed-Layout Document, everything is going pretty well but I canít get the file to open on the main content.

Iíve setup a guide in the OPF:

<guide>
<reference type="cover" title="Cover" href="cover.xhtml" />
<reference type="text" title="Start" href="pg_0003.xhtml" />
</guide>

Iíve added a landmark to the navigational doc:

<nav epub:type="landmarks">
<h1>Guide</h1>
<ol>
<li><a epub:type="cover" href="cover.xhtml">Cover</a></li>
<li><a epub:type="bodymatter" href="pg_0003.xhtml">Start</a></li>
</ol>
</nav>

And also added a navPoint in the NCX:

<navMap>
<navPoint id="p1" playOrder="1">
<navLabel>
<text>Start</text>
</navLabel>
<content src="pg_0003.xhtml" />
</navPoint>
</navMap>

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Bruno

DaleDe
03-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Read about ePub 3 in our wiki and fixed layout ePub. ePub 3 does not support NCX for ePub 3 files. What app are you using to test this?

curiousgeorge
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
have you not added a spine?

brunobruno
03-08-2013, 02:16 AM
Read about ePub 3 in our wiki and fixed layout ePub. ePub 3 does not support NCX for ePub 3 files. What app are you using to test this?

Thanks for your reply. Did you know that Inclusion of NCX documents is actually recommended for forward compatibility? (Also noted in our wiki)

I think I made it following spec. The problem is when uploading to iBooks on my iPad3 it doesnít seem to work.

have you not added a spine?

Yes, just didnít want to post a lot of code here. Let me know if you want me to upload the complete epub.

curiousgeorge
03-08-2013, 10:20 AM
just curious but I always wonder why people may a fixed?? Any particular reason?

DaleDe
03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Thanks for your reply. Did you know that Inclusion of NCX documents is actually recommended for forward compatibility? (Also noted in our wiki)

I think I made it following spec. The problem is when uploading to iBooks on my iPad3 it doesnít seem to work.

Yes, just didnít want to post a lot of code here. Let me know if you want me to upload the complete epub.

NCX can't be the only TOC for ePub 3 but can be included if there is sufficient similarity to ePub 2 to allow a reader to use it.

As you know from the wiki page, iBooks is not exactly following the ePub 3 specification, it is leading it. It has requirements that are different from the spec. It is likely that one of those additional requirements is causing the problem. Even ePub 2 books don't always work properly in iBooks.

AlPe
03-09-2013, 06:03 PM
Hello!
I am hand coding a EPUB 3 Fixed-Layout Document, everything is going pretty well but I can’t get the file to open on the main content.

Very few Reading Systems actually respect what you ask for in the <guide>, so it is not surprising that yours does not.

brunobruno
03-11-2013, 08:24 AM
just curious but I always wonder why people may a fixed?? Any particular reason?

Itís a picture book.

brunobruno
03-11-2013, 08:29 AM
As you know from the wiki page, iBooks is not exactly following the ePub 3 specification, it is leading it. It has requirements that are different from the spec. It is likely that one of those additional requirements is causing the problem. Even ePub 2 books don't always work properly in iBooks.

Which additional requirements might couse a problem?

brunobruno
03-11-2013, 08:31 AM
NCX can't be the only TOC for ePub 3 but can be included if there is sufficient similarity to ePub 2 to allow a reader to use it.

Am I missing something??

Toxaris
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
The NCX is something for ePUB2. If you want some form of backwards compatibility, you need/can include it in an ePUB3. However, it is not needed for an ePUB3.

DaleDe
03-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Which additional requirements might couse a problem?

For starters you need a special file not required for ePub 3. The file is META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml

This is not the first time Apple has required a special file. They also need one for embedded fonts. Of course the content of these extra files must meet their requirements.

Apple does not specify that the ePub be version 3.0 so it is likely that an ePub 2 formatted file can have fixed layout and it is not clear if the features of a 3.0 would be supported.

Dale

brunobruno
03-30-2013, 02:50 AM
For starters you need a special file not required for ePub 3. The file is META-INF/com.apple.ibooks.display-options.xml

Hi Dale, thanks for the reply, I have this file and it looks like this:

<display_options>
<platform name="*">
<option name="fixed-layout">true</option>
<option name="specified-fonts">false</option>
<option name="open-to-spread">true</option>
<option name="orientation-lock">landscape-only</option>
<option name="interactive">false</option>
</platform>
</display_options>

There must be something that prevents opening on body-matter. It is just really hard to find what it is as the file validates and works correctly otherwise.