View Full Version : epub vs mobi

kcarscadden
02-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Does anyone know of a book in the Mobileread Uploads where there is both an epub version and a mobi version, where the epub version shows some of the formatting capabilities of epub v2 that are missing in the mobi version?

Keith

Katie1
02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
You can use Calibre to convert it to what version your ereader uses.

kcarscadden
02-12-2013, 12:08 AM
The point is to see a book using some of the "advanced" formatting allowed by epub compared to a mobi book.

So Katie1, you are correct that I just need to find a book in the Mobileread upload epub forum that uses these techniques, then use Calibre to convert to mobi.

But so far, my searches have not found such a book. Does anyone know of one?

Keith

AnemicOak
02-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Can't think of one off hand. The ePub of Three Men in a Boat in the MR library is a good example of ePub formatting, but the Mobi version there isn't the same illustrated edition. I suppose you could convert that ePub to Mobi and see the difference. I'm assuming you mean old Mobi 7 as the newer KF8 version is very similar to ePub and can do most if not all of what ePub does.

Arios
02-12-2013, 01:09 AM
If mobileread as the source is not absolutely mandatory you can have a look here: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/6623/the-prince-and-the-pauper. So you can compare the 2 formats.

By the way, HarryT has done a very nice version of this book that you can find here at mobileread, but I'm not sure for both epub and mobi.

Jellby
02-12-2013, 05:27 AM
You could try Kipling's "Just So Stories" [EPUB] [MOBI] (drop-cap illustrations).

Or Twain's "The Prince and the Pauper" [EPUB] [MOBI] (embedded fonts).

kcarscadden
02-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks AnemicOak, Arios and Jellby for your suggestions. I'll download the books and see.

Keith

Arios
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
You're welcome Keith,

The Prince and the Pauper: very nice one Jellby! I was not aware of it.