View Full Version : Error message about fonts in ePub when using ITP.

01-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm going to apologize up front for this being my third post started today. I'm sure that must be annoying, and I'm sorry for it.

I am having trouble with another ITMS-9000 error message. This time it's about the font I used, Times New Roman. Here's a screenshot.

I never thought I'd have a problem with TNR in the ePub!

I just got my ITP error messages down from 35 to 4, so I'm ecstatic, though there's a lot of work to still do.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

01-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Unrelated to your problem... but I hope you're not thinking of distributing TNR in an epub. It's not a freely distributable font, to my knowledge.

01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I didn't mean really to specify or distribute any certain font, to be honest. I guess I assumed it would change from whatever it was in InDesign to whatever was optimized for iPhone or iPad. I have so much to learn. :S

Is there any way to change/fix this in OPF file? Or do I have to go back into InDesign and change something? What font SHOULD I be using, then?

01-18-2013, 03:18 AM
No font, actually. Let the reading application (or reader) choose a font. When you export from ID, you need to switch of the font embedding.

01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
By the way, the problem reported in that window is not about Times New Roman, it's about a file included in the ePub but not manifested. It happens to be a font file, but it could have been anything.

01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Is that the easiest way of fixing this, then--switching off the font embedding in ID? Or is there another way of fixing it in the OPF or CSS?

01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes, turn off font embedding.

Do you really want to embed fonts? The #1 embedded font is Charis SIL because it looks good and is free.

01-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Well, you don't necessarily have to avoid all font embedding, but most folks don't embed body fonts, and you definitely should not embed a font that doesn't specifically allow embedding in an EPUB (which AFAIK that one doesn't unless you have a specific agreement with Monotype to the contrary).

Incidentally, this error would be flagged by epubcheck as well. You should definitely run your book through that before submitting it anywhere.

01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Good deal; thanks everyone. I'll export again with no fonts embedded and run it through IDPF's ePub validator before I upload to ITP.

01-21-2013, 12:10 PM
OK! Fixed the font embedding issue, also fixed the date value bug in the content.opf file, and the IDPF ePub Validator comes up clean, except for one "warning" (not "error"), that:

WARNING OEBPS/content.opf 2 202 title element is empty

Something I should fix, or ignore?

01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Fix. There is no title given in the metadata.