View Full Version : Error message about fonts in ePub when using ITP.

katiesommer
01-17-2013, 08:47 PM
I'm going to apologize up front for this being my third post started today. I'm sure that must be annoying, and I'm sorry for it.

I am having trouble with another ITMS-9000 error message. This time it's about the font I used, Times New Roman. Here's a screenshot.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8390131017_6b9be07b07.jpg

I never thought I'd have a problem with TNR in the ePub!

I just got my ITP error messages down from 35 to 4, so I'm ecstatic, though there's a lot of work to still do.

Thanks for any direction you can give me.

KS

DiapDealer
01-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Unrelated to your problem... but I hope you're not thinking of distributing TNR in an epub. It's not a freely distributable font, to my knowledge.

katiesommer
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
I didn't mean really to specify or distribute any certain font, to be honest. I guess I assumed it would change from whatever it was in InDesign to whatever was optimized for iPhone or iPad. I have so much to learn. :S

Is there any way to change/fix this in OPF file? Or do I have to go back into InDesign and change something? What font SHOULD I be using, then?

Toxaris
01-18-2013, 03:18 AM
No font, actually. Let the reading application (or reader) choose a font. When you export from ID, you need to switch of the font embedding.

Jellby
01-18-2013, 05:55 AM
By the way, the problem reported in that window is not about Times New Roman, it's about a file included in the ePub but not manifested. It happens to be a font file, but it could have been anything.

katiesommer
01-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Is that the easiest way of fixing this, then--switching off the font embedding in ID? Or is there another way of fixing it in the OPF or CSS?

JSWolf
01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
Yes, turn off font embedding.

Do you really want to embed fonts? The #1 embedded font is Charis SIL because it looks good and is free.

dgatwood
01-18-2013, 07:14 PM
Well, you don't necessarily have to avoid all font embedding, but most folks don't embed body fonts, and you definitely should not embed a font that doesn't specifically allow embedding in an EPUB (which AFAIK that one doesn't unless you have a specific agreement with Monotype to the contrary).

Incidentally, this error would be flagged by epubcheck as well. You should definitely run your book through that before submitting it anywhere.

katiesommer
01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Good deal; thanks everyone. I'll export again with no fonts embedded and run it through IDPF's ePub validator before I upload to ITP.

katiesommer
01-21-2013, 12:10 PM
OK! Fixed the font embedding issue, also fixed the date value bug in the content.opf file, and the IDPF ePub Validator comes up clean, except for one "warning" (not "error"), that:

WARNING OEBPS/content.opf 2 202 title element is empty

Something I should fix, or ignore?

Toxaris
01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Fix. There is no title given in the metadata.