Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Books not showing up on Paperwhite

I loaded my new paperwhite by copying over from a directory to the kindle. One of the books was the picture of Dorian grey which didn't show up anywhere I looked and the page where the letter of the author ( in this case the letter O ) would load but there would be no books on it. I did a search for Oscar and nothing, I did a search for dorian and nothing.
I reset the kindle to factory defaults and put the books into calibre and then into the paperwhite. I let it index for an hour. I have 732 items according to calibre. The kindle showed 675 so I restarted it and it showed 731 for a second and then went back to 675.
I can't figure it out. I am missing some books somehow. I read device memory with calibre and it shows all of them.

These are all gutenberg books and drm free. I left my amazon purchases stored online and didn't connect to download them yet into the new kindle. But I need to get this straightened out first lol It's bad enough trying to organize with the collection setup on the new kindle..
BobKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
BobKat
Enthusiast
BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobKat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found this which may answer the problem that I am having

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176973
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
BobKat
Enthusiast

I found what was the problem. It was just that Dorian Grey book only. Not sure why Dorian Gray didn't load it opened fine in calibre and the old kindle. So I downloaded it again. Then I ran all the books through with a mobi to mobi conversion and it found another 5 books that must have been corrupted when I downloaded them.Or they got messed up when I ran them through the conversion. Who knows.

I may just load them in small batches, collection at a time, so I don't overload the indexing system and make it easier to find any other problem books.

Edit to add: I loaded the books back into paperwhite ( just for kicks ) that were corrupted. They were all pdf if that makes any difference. They are showing up now as items but won't open. I just hope these are the other books that didn't index properly before. It may have been just the Dorian Gray book messing up the books right after it as far as the kindle saw things. I'll have to look at the metadata on the Dorian Gray book and see if it has any funky characters.

Last edited by BobKat; 01-07-2013 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Good job on partially fixing your problem and proactively searching for a solution. Not so sure how good the pdf support is, you might want to convert those to mobi and try again. You mind posting the page from where you got them at gutenberg, so we can take a look and see if it works or try find out why it doesn't.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Purely as a matter of interest, why did you expect the book to be listed under "O"? In author sort view, it should appear under "W" for "Wilde", should it not?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
BobKat
Enthusiast

The one that does work on the PW with no problem I got here:
Dorian Gray here:
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/174

I have gotten some books here also which is a nice site for some public domain books:
http://archive.org/

Search thing stumped me for a time trying to organize the collections yesterday. I expected it to do last names. Which brought up a few verbal mutterings on my part while I was tying to figure it out.
For some reason the Kindle search lists the author by first name, at least on mine. I want through the books with calibre and made sure the author was listed properly by "last, first" convention. They show up on the Hard drive as folders listed by last name first. When I hit the page number on the paperwhite it brings up a search by first letter and that uses the first name of the author. When I hit "W" he doesn't come up in the results.

Last edited by BobKat; 01-07-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Your author metadata are wrong; the Kindle most assuredly does sort by author's last name! Probably as well to ask how to fix it in the Calibre forum.

BTW, you'll get better versions of many PD works here at MR than at the sites you mention.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
BobKat
Enthusiast

Thank you Harry for that. I'll check to see how to fix right away before I start loading my author/collections. I know in calibre it sorts by last name in the Author column.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
BobKat
Enthusiast

*slaps forehead*...Completely forgot about this..... I opened the first page on the Dorian Gray version from the old kindle and it is an uncensored version I bought from Amazon. I may have run it though the mobi conversion and it is DRM protected and won't work. It didn't even show up as a file so not sure if that is the case or not.

Last edited by BobKat; 01-07-2013 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
BobKat
Enthusiast

I have to reconvert and delete and resend as I was informed on the calibre forum. There is a check box that needs to be selected in order to do last name first on kindle.

Buried in preferences settings in calibre:
Preferences>Output Options>Mobi Output> use author sort for author
Old 01-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Glad you've been able to sort it out!