View Full Version : Are eReader Books Welcome?

6charlong
01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
I've been using eReader with my PC and PDA and I like it very much. It's flexible in that I can read the same book on either device, but I couldn't find any books formatted for eReader on MobileRead.

Is that a coincidence or is there a rule about what formats MobileRead allows? If eReader format is welcome, how can I share eReader formatted PG books here?

wallcraft
01-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Put them in the "other books" forum, with PDB in the title. There are two eReader books there already (search the "other books" forum for PDB).

HarryT
01-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Please put "eReader" in the description, not "PDB". "PDB" is not an eBook format; it's merely the name of a "wrapper" which can contain data in ANY format - rather like a ZIP file can. "eReader" is the book format.

JSWolf
01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Please put "eReader" in the description, not "PDB". "PDB" is not an eBook format; it's merely the name of a "wrapper" which can contain data in ANY format - rather like a ZIP file can. "eReader" is the book format.
But, eReader takes up more space in the topic and the files will most likely have a PDB extension anyway.

HarryT
01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
The problem is that you could have other formats in a PDB file - eg PalmDoc. Saying "PDB" is no help whatsoever in knowing what format the book is actually in.

wallcraft
01-30-2008, 10:18 AM
I suggested PDB because there are 2 eReader books named that way already. Only one of them has eReader in the body of the post, so the other is missed by a search for eReader.

I guess eReader is the best name for the format, or eReader PDB if an even longer name is ok.

DaleDe
01-30-2008, 10:22 AM
The problem is that you could have other formats in a PDB file - eg PalmDoc. Saying "PDB" is no help whatsoever in knowing what format the book is actually in.

check the wiki for PDB and you will find a table of all the possible values of file types for Palm eBooks.

I suggest PNPd for the file type since that is what it really is. (The first 4 characters in the file attribute list, the second 4 are the application)

Dale

DMcCunney
01-30-2008, 10:30 AM
But, eReader takes up more space in the topic and the files will most likely have a PDB extension anyway.So will Palm "doc" files, zTXT files, iSilo files, TomeRaider files and Plucker files, among others. All PDB tells you is that it's for Palm OS. It doesn't tell you what is required to view it.
______
Dennis

NatCh
01-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I suggest PNPd for the file type since that is what it really is.The only problem there, DaleDe, is that the other 99.7% of us who have no idea what "PNPd" is would miss it entirely. :wink2:

DaleDe
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
The only problem there, DaleDe, is that the other 99.7% of us who have no idea what "PNPd" is would miss it entirely. :wink2:

Time to learn. A sticky in the misc group could teach this valuable data and Palm users need to know this anyway. If you see something you don't know it is time to look it up.

Dale

NatCh
01-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh, I don't disagree on the principle, DaleDe. I'm just thinking that the average Joe, looking for eReader books would search for eReader rather than the PNPd format and would think we didn't have any books in that format at all ... rather than the 3 we do have. :smack:

Sometimes you have to use the language of the people you're talking to or they just won't understand what you're saying. That's all I meant. :shrug:

DMcCunney
01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Time to learn. A sticky in the misc group could teach this valuable data and Palm users need to know this anyway. If you see something you don't know it is time to look it up.

DalePNPd is the Type field. Folks will do better with the Creator ID, PPrs (Peanut Press, creators of the PML format).
______
Dennis

DaleDe
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
PNPd is the Type field. Folks will do better with the Creator ID, PPrs (Peanut Press, creators of the PML format).
______
Dennis

Sure I am ok with that although the type field is the correct one to identify the type of the file which is what we want. PML would also be a good choice, by the way, but would only solve the problem for this one file type. I think we need a standard for all Palm types with the anticipation that others will be added at some point. Picking the application field could also be the standard if everyone agrees. On a Palm this is used to define the application that will be used to process the file when it is tapped. PNPd by the way is PeaNut Press data.

Dale

DMcCunney
01-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Sure I am ok with that although the type field is the correct one to identify the type of the file which is what we want. PML would also be a good choice, by the way, but would only solve the problem for this one file type. I think we need a standard for all Palm types with the anticipation that others will be added at some point. Picking the application field could also be the standard if everyone agrees. On a Palm this is used to define the application that will be used to process the file when it is tapped. PNPd by the way is PeaNut Press data.

DaleSix of one...

But I fear we pretty much have to indicate the application that will display the file in the subject header of the post for stuff like this. It would be nice if everyone did look up the code in the wiki, but I don't assume that will happen.

If Fictionwise gets smart and releases the eReader creator application as freeware, like Amazon did with MobiPocket Creator, we may see enough eReader submissions to justify a seperate area.

For that matter, I have 3,000+ books I converted to Plucker format. I could populate an area devoted to those by myself... :p
______
Dennis

HarryT
01-30-2008, 11:58 AM
OK, I'm going to make an "executive decision" here, temporarily putting on my hat as the moderator of the book upload forums - we'll use "eReader".

Dale - you're absolutely right about the utility of the creator types, but unfortunately those aren't known by most people. We have go with with what people are going to look for, which is "eReader".

igorsk
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Make sure you also add "(NOT Sony Reader)" or something :)

NatCh
01-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Make sure you also add "(NOT Sony Reader)" or something :)Troublemaker. :roflmfao:

6charlong
01-30-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks to you all for your help. I posted an eBook of the Federalist Papers identified as eReader. I listed the devices eReader has versions for to try to avoid confusion. It is an impressive list: Palm OS, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Windows, Macintosh and OQO. The Pro version of the reader isn't free (except for a free trial version) but at 4.95 USD for each version you want it's still not really spendy.

DMcCunney
01-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks to you all for your help. I posted an eBook of the Federalist Papers identified as eReader. I listed the devices eReader has versions for to try to avoid confusion. It is an impressive list: Palm OS, Pocket PC, Windows Mobile, Symbian, Windows, Macintosh and OQO. The Pro version of the reader isn't free (except for a free trial version) but at 4.95 USD for each version you want it's still not really spendy.The Pro version gets you custom fonts and the ability to look up words in a dictionary. The free version does fine if you don't need that. The current eReader is a cosmetic upgrade to the old PalmReader program that used to be bundled with Palm OS devices. It has a somewhat more attractive interface with easier to see icons, but is otherwise the same. The underlying ebook format hasn't changed, and old timers who have the original Peanut Press reader should be able to view the books as well.
______
Dennis