View Full Version : How to skip foot notes: normal flow

theducks
11-25-2012, 01:43 PM
If I place footnotes at the end of a (chapter) section. is there a way to skip over them if a Link was not used to access them?

Text
footnote
Next section text

If I scroll though, between the (Black) text, that is all I see. (No footnotes)
I still want to be able to Jump to a footnote (and back :D )

DSpider
11-25-2012, 03:25 PM
I think you can place all the footnotes at the end, in the final XHTML file from the ePub. This would essentially make them endnotes (because they're not at the foot of the page).

DiapDealer
11-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Other than a "page-break-before: always" CSS setting and a link offered to the reader allowing them to voluntarily "jump" past the notes to the beginning of the next section, I don't think there's a way to achieve exactly what you're looking for.

You could put the notes in their own files between chapters/sections and use the "linear=no" attribute in the spine of the OPF for those files ... but there's no guarantee that the reading system will honor the attribute.

theducks
11-25-2012, 05:28 PM
y to achieve exactly what you're looking for.

You could put the notes in their own files between chapters/sections and use the "linear=no" attribute in the spine of the OPF for those files ... but there's no guarantee that the reading system will honor the attribute.

I was thinking this was a possibility, but I really wanted to avoid (re)loading the file (performance reasons). Recent footnote threads got me thinking (and you probably guessed how dangerous that is :D )

Thanks to both of you for your answers.

JSWolf
11-26-2012, 09:10 AM
The only way to skip the footnotes at the end of a chapter is to have a link on the last page of the chapter that then skips over the footnotes.

Jellby
11-26-2012, 10:51 AM
If I place footnotes at the end of a (chapter) section. is there a way to skip over them if a Link was not used to access them?

Not without scripting or maybe some imaginative CSS3/HTML5 stuff, which means it's not supported in ePub 2.1 (I would be delighted to be proven wrong, tohugh).

You can be pretty sure it will not honor it, actually (but the Calibre viewer does, I believe).

DiapDealer
11-26-2012, 01:07 PM
You can be pretty sure it will not honor it, actually (but the Calibre viewer does, I believe).
Yeah, I knew devices/apps that honored it were rare. I just didn't realize how rare.

Jellby
11-27-2012, 11:00 AM
To be fair, I think the spec says that reading systems may skip linear=no files, so readers that do not skip them are not doing anything against the spec.