View Full Version : Errors with hyperlinks


Ti-Ron
11-20-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi there,

I'm coding an ePub with many hyperlinks in it. Things are going great but I've found two bugs with no (to me) solutions:

1)http://www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/displayafficher.do?id=1174597176899&lang=f

2)http://www.agrivision.ca/pdf/factsheets/herb&spice.pdf

Both of them have "&" in it and Sigil thinks it's a call for a command and I have several errors and I can't save my file.

Is there any way to keep my hyperlink active and keep the infos avaible for the reader?

Doitsu
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Try replacing all ampersands in llinks with &

PageLab
11-21-2012, 07:46 AM
You could also use a URL shortening service. MURLS is a free desktop app that helps a lot with this http://code.google.com/p/murls/

Ti-Ron
11-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Try replacing all ampersands in llinks with &

COOL! Thanks, I didn't know I was able to use &amp into a hyperlink!
Thanks a lot! :)

dgatwood
11-21-2012, 10:18 PM
Not just "able to". For standards compliance, you're required to use either & or one of the equivalent numerical entities whenever you want an ampersand literal to appear in HTML, whether it's in an attribute value or in the body of the text.

Most web browsers will silently turn improper ampersands into literals for you because so many web developers get it wrong so frequently (which ironically contributes to more and more developers getting it wrong), but it's still wrong.

It would probably be a good idea to run xmllint on your content. It's a great tool for catching these sorts of mistakes, and IIRC would have flagged that as an invalid entity.