Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None Currently
When to buy a Kindle PW?

With all the problems being reported with this batch of Kindle Paperwhites, does anyone know when they will ship a new batch? When will it be safe to buy a Kindle PW?

Also, can someone summarize the issues being have been having with it, so if i buy it i will be able to tell if my screen is defective or not. Thanks a lot for any help .

Edit: Are there any rumors or plans of a PW 2.0?

Last edited by Big McLargeHuge; 11-14-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Big McLargeHuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I would wait until at least the new year. Anytime anyone mass produces anything these sorts of things happen. MY folks bought a brand new Toyota Camrey LE which turned out to have a few design problems as well, however in the auto industry they call those Recalls. Amazon is not immune, everyone has problems not just amazon I think customers need to wait to let amazon get the bugs out. It might even be prudent to wait until the second generation paperwhite is shipped before buying one. Give the company time to get the kinks worked out.

I am toying with the idea of buying a Simple Touch to go along with my kindle. The glo light has been out for some time now so the chances are that BN has gotten the kinks worked out.

For now I would recommend that you look at the basic kindle or a 3g one since that is not based on cutting edge technology and amazon has had time to get the kinks out.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's perfectly "safe" to buy a PW now. A few people appear to be sensitive to the colour fringing that this lighting system can display (it's basically a diffraction grating, so such things are inherent in the design) but personally I think it's very good indeed. If you get one and don't like it, simply return it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I agree with HarryT.

The Paperwhite is an amazing ereader. The battery life is excellent, the display is fantastic, it's very light. What kind of issues are you talking about?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast
Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Big McLargeHuge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I agree with HarryT.

The Paperwhite is an amazing ereader. The battery life is excellent, the display is fantastic, it's very light. What kind of issues are you talking about?
Well that's why i asked in my post what issues people were having . I heard about people getting "bad" screens (the light producing weird colors on the screen).

I might just buy one and see for myself. Though i'm curious, what's the average time for Amazon to make a new Kindle product. Being that they're on their 4th Kindle i think it might be a little easier to see now if there's a pattern or not.
Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A new generation of Kindles is released about once a year. At this time last year we got the basic Kindle and the Touch. This year the Touch has been replaced by the Paperwhite, and very minor changes made to the basic.

In all seriousness, you run no risk in buying a PW. If you like it, that's great. If you don't, you can return it to Amazon within 30 days at no cost to you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
It's not just a case of some people being "sensitive" (despite HarryT's insistence that this is the case?). It is a factor, along with the high expectations Amazon's press launch produced, but there have clearly been some quality control issues too.

There are some pretty discoloured looking screens:
http://imgur.com/gzTN0

Uneven lighting too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=56

There are an awful lot more 'good' screens though, and if you were to have any problem, there's no problem to return it for a refund, or exchange it for another.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
It's not just a case of some people being "sensitive" (despite HarryT's insistence that this is the case?). It is a factor, along with the high expectations Amazon's press launch produced, but there have clearly been some quality control issues too.

There are some pretty discoloured looking screens:
http://imgur.com/gzTN0

Uneven lighting too:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=56

There are an awful lot more 'good' screens though, and if you were to have any problem, there's no problem to return it for a refund, or exchange it for another.
Wow, i didn't think the bad ones were that bad. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Just to add a bit of balance to that post Big McLargeHuge. It is worth bearing in mind that most of these photos are taken in a completely dark room with the light on the Kindle turned up to full. You would never use your Kindle like that, and any imperfections won't be as noticeable in normal use (although uneven lighting would still be obvious).

Also, despite my own reservations having read about and looked at photos of some not very good Kindle screens (though to be fair, I don't see an awful lot wrong with some of the pics people have posted!), when I looked at a couple of demo models in Waterstones, I was very pleasantly surprised by just how good the screen looked.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I look at pics like the first one, and I wonder if the camera isn't distorting some of the colors.

My PW, which I think is quite good, looks very much like the second pic. However, I only find the light dispersion distracting if I'm actually spending time actually thinking about it. When I am reading, I don't notice it at all.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #11
Saturday
Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Saturday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage (3G)
Unless you live in a country where returning a defective device to Amazon would be difficult, I don't see any reason to wait. Even if you get one with a faulty screen it's a simple matter to send it back to them, but the results of the poll asking if people are satisfied with their Paperwhite displays suggests that the majority of people are getting good models and/or the problems are not significant enough to hinder their reading.

I know that I'm perfectly happy with mine; I'm still wondering if the discolouration problems were as prevalent in the initial batch distributed in the UK as they were in the first run distributed in the US, because the majority of bad screen pictures seem to come from American posters, whereas many of the folk in the UK seem to be reporting satisfaction. That's purely anecdotal though, so only time will tell.
Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #12
tmf2
Zealot
tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmf2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 Kindle PW
I sent three back before deciding to just get a refund and wait for Amazon to work out the defective screen issues. If you want to play the PW lotto thats fine but I would advise to give Amazon some time to resolve the issues. Also with numerous returns Amazon may potentially ban your account just something to think about.
tmf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
Big McLargeHuge
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
I sent three back before deciding to just get a refund and wait for Amazon to work out the defective screen issues. If you want to play the PW lotto thats fine but I would advise to give Amazon some time to resolve the issues. Also with numerous returns Amazon may potentially ban your account just something to think about.
That's something i was thinking about actually. I have bought other electronic devices to try in the past from Amazon like blu-ray players and returned them. Can't help but feel i've done it a little too much for comfort.

Last edited by Big McLargeHuge; 11-14-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
There a various other issues other than the color blotches. Some older threads about this can be found here and here.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Probably the best time is next year when the next model comes out that hopefully fixes the glitches.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote