Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Windows 8 Pro

So I downloaded and installed Windows 8 Pro, and now there are a few things that don't work anymore. My external speakers, for some reason now mutes the system. My WiFi printer has disappeared and I had to download and reinstall Office (but that may have been my mistake, I only wanted personal files left).
Anyhoo, what is a good place to get help with the new Windows 8. Something akin to MobileRead.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Maybe try here: http://www.eightforums.com/
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Or here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...80&postcount=1
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
The very same thing happened to my mom. She downgraded to 8 because she's...I don't know why she does what she does. And, so she called me in the middle of me enjoying a crossword puzzle for me to play tech support.

Wasn't able to get her printer to work right with it, but worked out some other driver issues (that were probably already there with 7, but wasn't noticeable at the time).

Good going, Microsuck.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Happens every time. I'm sure they envy Apple and their walled garden at times like these. Simply too many vendors. I also lost ABBYY Fine Reader.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Never do Windows Upgrades, just do fresh installs. Saves your sanity in the long term.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Anyhoo, what is a good place to get help with the new Windows 8.
When a new *major* Windows release comes out, First thing I do is Pick up the latest edition of Windows XX Secrets. Then I figure out if and when I need to upgrade. I've generally found it to be worth the cost to keep it handy. (Especially when the relatives and neighbors start upgrading.)

For Win8 that would be this:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...118204131.html
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1118204131

It is also available in Kindle edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-8-Secr...N%3DB008SGNCAS

And in ADEPT-DRM'ed epub:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...cCd-ebook.html

The print editions I used to buy usually added a CD with applets, utilities, and at least a PDF of the book. More recently they have been offering those via website. Not sure if that is happening this time around.

The other book that has been *very* useful in the past is:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920022305.do

...but it's not coming until December.

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-26-2012 at 05:05 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Never do Windows Upgrades, just do fresh installs. Saves your sanity in the long term.
I agree.. do fresh install... works great..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
And for peripherals like printers check the manufacturer's website and see if there are drivers for the new OS. When I upgraded to XP my printer manufacturer never did create XP Drivers for my printer. I had to buy a new printer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I agree.. do fresh install... works great..
The problem with a fresh install is that there are just too many program sthat also have to be fresh installed in order to get back to where my computer was. Last time I did a fresh install, I spent 2 days installing and setting preferences and still forgot a couple of programs.

For me, the fresh install is the install of last resort. Instead, I use removable hard drives. I image my C: drive onto a second drive and then I run the upgrade process on one of the 2 C: drives. When I have the patience, I put the drive with the new OS in the slot and work on the bugs. When I need to get to work or don't have the patience to deal with the new OS, I put the old OS drive in the slot and everything is as it was before I began fiddling with the new OS.

I stopped buying computers from places like Dell and HP and Best Buy years ago when I realized that if I had my computer custom built, not only could I get a much better computer for about the same money, but I could get the swappable removable drives and make my life so much easier. I especially liked that I could get a much better case that virtually eliminated noise and heat problems.

When I go on vacation, I remove the hard drives and put them in the safe deposit box until I return. If someone burgles the house in my absence, all they get is a shell computer and no access to my drives. Love the removable drive system.

Last edited by rhadin; 10-28-2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: correct spelling error
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
The problem with a fresh install is that there are just too many program sthat also have to be fresh installed in order to get back to where my computer was. Last time I did a fresh install, I spent 2 days installing and setting preferences and still forgot a couple of programs.

For me, the fesh install is the install of last resort. Instead, I use removable hard drives. I image my C: drive onto a second drive and then I run the upgrade process on one of the 2 C: drives. When I have the patience, I put the drive with the new OS in the slot and work on the bugs. When I need to get to work or don't have the patience to deal with the new OS, I put the old OS drive in the slot and everything is as it was before I began fiddling with the new OS.

I stopped buying computers from places like Dell and HP and Best Buy years ago when I realized that if I had my computer custom built, not only could I get a much better computer for about the same money, but I could get the swappable removable drives and make my life so much easier. I especially liked that I could get a much better case that virtually eliminated noise and heat problems.

When I go on vacation, I remove the hard drives and put them in the safe deposit box until I return. If someone burgles the house in my absence, all they get is a shell computer and no access to my drives. Love the removable drive system.
I have to agree with you. I built my first computer about 12 years ago and never looked back. I can do it cheaper and better. And if the computer gets screwed up I know exactly who to blame.
Apache
Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #12
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
My theory is. .

1. NEVER upgrade your Win based computer to a newer OS. Always wait till you buy a new computer.
  2. Never buy a new Win based computer until service pack 2 has been released. It always takes at least 2 SPs for MS to shake out the bugs.
  3. At first, everyone hates the newest version of Windows, but no one knows how good or bad that particular version is until the first beta for its successor is released.

These are rules that will serve you well. And this is a feature of a technological culture.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
Apache
Readaholic

Sometimes it is better to buy the first release. I bought Win 95 when it was first released. My reasoning was that no matter how bad it would be it would be better than Win 3.1.
You could finally multitask and use more than 16 characters to name files.
Apache
Old 10-27-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I needed a new rig so got a touchscreen all in one and then the free win8 upgrade. Win8 is great with the touchscreen.

Two of the lenovo programs that came with this last years model did not work with 8. One was the bluetooth (for the keyboard and mouse of course) but 8 supplied a generic evidently because they both work fine.

Samsung's new printer driver took care of my printer and thus far have not found too many problems other than finding my way around.

I wouldn't recommend anyone go buy 8 since I liked 7 but if you have a touchscreen and want to spend a little money you should find 8 a plus overall. I am using my finger much more than the mouse and have already adapted to changing between the two much easier than I had thought.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
  1. NEVER upgrade your Win based computer to a newer OS. Always wait till you buy a new computer.
  2. Never buy a new Win based computer until service pack 2 has been released. It always takes at least 2 SPs for MS to shake out the bugs.
  3. At first, everyone hates the newest version of Windows, but no one knows how good or bad that particular version is until the first beta for its successor is released.

These are rules that will serve you well. And this is a feature of a technological culture.
Yup. The thing I did right before Windows 8 came out was snap up a nice Win 7 laptop cheap on clearance. I plan on using 7 until I get a new laptop. at work we're starting to use 7 this year but I'm still on NT, so I'm in no rush at all. I'm still figuring out Office 2007 tbh and I work in IT

And you know? The only reason I got that new laptop is because my old Vista one from '07 is literally falling apart. I'm giving it to my kid for Minecraft once I get all the possible bloatware off it.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote