View Full Version : How to keep words with accent together?

GraciousMe
10-22-2012, 01:03 PM
The wordS feu dŽartifice fare badly in my text, they disintegrates.

How do I code so that "d" is not separated from "artifice"?

Toxaris
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
try a span with the CSS attribute page-break-avoid: always.

pynch
10-23-2012, 03:23 AM
No span necessary if you use the right character: it should be an apostrophe instead of an accent. You can get it from your character table or if you press Alt+0146. Or just use this one: ’

Toxaris
10-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Correct, but I have seen it replaced by question marks in some readers.

pynch
10-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Are you sure about that? I have never seen a typeface without the apostrophe, which would be the only reason I know of why that replacement could happen.

Toxaris
10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
I am sure. Old readers, I grant that.

Jellby
10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Are you sure about that? I have never seen a typeface without the apostrophe, which would be the only reason I know of why that replacement could happen.

I have seen lots of fonts without the curly apostrophe, some even without the straight one, but those often lack the isolated accent (or accented letters) too.

About line-breaking and hyphenation: most readers are crappy in that respect, and that's entirely the renderer's fault, not the ebook code's. I've seen hyphens added between an opening parenthesis and the following word, or between a word and a closing quote mark... I simply ignore this and hope (naively) that some day the renderers will behave more correctly.