View Full Version : New software to make PDF files

Red Alert
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Today in the Seattle Times, I read an article that previews a software package that will allow creating a PDF from the files obtained with your digital camera. The neat and unusual feature of this software is that it will not require the book be pressed flat. It will allow you to just open a book on a table, take the photo and the software will "press it flat" so to speak and create a PDF or other format file.

Available for 14 free trial and fairly inexpensive at USD$ 49 from:

www.snapter.atiz.com/

For me, this seems like a great deal so I can convert some books I own to Sony Reader format for private use.

Just thought you might be interested.

Red Alert

Alexander Turcic
01-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Sounds like a dream come true. Has anyone already tested the trial version (http://www.snapter.atiz.com/download.php)?

yokos
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
What I don't like is the only image output format is jpg/jpg embedded in pdf.

When I choose b&w as output I get pseudo-b&w 8bit jpg files. 53 unique colours are found, around all letters grey pixels are visible; this can't be compression artefacts.
Those created jpg files are much bigger in size than real monochrome tiff in CCITT4 encoding would be. iLiad could read tiff/CCITT4 embedded in pdf.
If I used this program, a batch converting to a monochrome format would be needed.

I haven't seen a way to adjust the threshold level of the converting to b&w process.