View Full Version : A New Epub Creator: txt to epub, word to epub

oxen
09-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Hi! I'm an epub and mobi ebook lover, and recently developed epub and mobi creating software: EpubSTAR that can convert plain text file (.txt), markdown file(.md/.markdown/.mdown/.markd) and Word documents (.doc / .docx) to epub ebook. Hope to help you create a satisfactory epub and mobi ebook.

Detailed description, see the 2nd floor.

The latest version: 3.1.1
Updated: 2014-06-02
Download: EpubSTAR3.1.1.rar (http://www.by-smart.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=ODE0fGE4YWY3ZjI5fDEzNDYzNTcwNzZ8MnwyMzk4)(1.49 MB)
DONATION: Click here (http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/donate_en.html).

Supporting the x86/x64 system.

Three Functions

WORD to EPUB/MOBI: Convert your Word document (doc, docx) into the EPUB/MOBI format eBooks.
TEXT to EPUB/MOBI: Convert your plain text (txt) into the EPUB/MOBI format eBooks.
Markdown to EPUB/MOBI: Convert your Markdown text (md, markdown, mdown, markd) into the EPUB/MOBI format eBooks.

Two Formats
EpubSTAR can output two types of e-book format:

EPUB eBook : EPUB2, EPUB3 and EPUB3 ( EPUB2 compliant) three versions of epub ebook.
MOBI eBook : Kindle version 6 and version 8 (KF6, KF8) two versions of mobi books.

Multi languages support

Interface regional languages switch (English , German, Spain, Chinese traditional, Chinese Simplified).
Multi-language text mixed processing.
Multi-language style mixed processing.

Please note that MobileRead has not verified that the download linked in this post is harmless. Use at your own risk and with appropriate caution.

oxen
10-01-2012, 06:33 AM
What is EpubSTAR?

EPUB is become a popular e-book standard and is open and free for all to implement. EPUB files can be read by MobiPocket, Adobe Digital Editions, FBReader, Stanza, the Sony Reader, and many other readers and applications.

EpubSTAR is a professional epub and mobi creation software for Tablet, SmartPhone and EINK users to make EPUB files, initially created by OXEN(LAO NIU). It offers a convenient way to import DOC/DOCX, TXT or markdown files and create all the necessary components of an EPUB and MOBI file.

Main Features of EpubSTAR:

Purpose

Create professional and pretty ePub and mobi ebooks.
Convert Word, plain text and markdown documents quickly to read on new devices.
Benefits
Well Structured: Full printing books structure, cover, titlepage, introduction, preface, TOC, text, production instructions, copyright page etc.
Standard and Conciseness: Compliance with epub specification, books have no no redundant code,
Wonderful Typography

Feautres
Simple operation, without any professional knowledge, just three steps, you can create professional and pretty ePub and mobi ebooks.

text, DOC, DOCX, markdown import and epub/mobi format export
Word to EPUB/MOBI: Edit manuscript in Word and take advantage of Word's power and convenience to creat epub and mobi ebooks.
Text to EPUB/MOBI: Conversion from TXT to epub and mobi.
Markdown to EPUB/MOBI: Conversion from markdown to epub and mobi.

Table of Contents

1. Chapter auto split
2. TOC auto generation
3. Chapter auto split

Two Formats
EpubSTAR can output two types of e-book format:

EPUB eBook : EPUB2, EPUB3 and EPUB3 ( EPUB2 compliant) three versions of epub ebook.
MOBI eBook : Kindle version 6 and version 8 (KF6, KF8) two versions of mobi books.

Multi languages and character sets support

Interface regional languages switch (English , German, Spain, Chinese traditional, Chinese Simplified).
Multi-language text mixed processing.
Multi-language style mixed processing.

Advanced Features
Support links and footnotes
Support recognition of table, floating image (wrapping) , text box (frame), hyperlink function, inline style (HTML code) in word document.
Custom styles: EpubSTAR also supports custom CSS for each style (or the whole style sheet) if required. (std/pro/ult edition)

How to get EpubSTAR?

EpubSTAR is available on FORUM:

http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/epubstar_en.html
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191270
http://www.by-smart.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2398 (Chinese)
http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=765915 (Chinese)

Installation and Requirement

Installation :Automatically.
Uninstallation:you can uninstall EpubSTAR in Add/Remove Programs in Windows control panel.
Requirement
l WINDOWS XP/vista/7/8 and later.
l MS WORD (97, 2003,2007,2010,2013 and later) for Word-to-EPUB function.

How to report bugs?
Please report bugs or make comments using the forum (a thread per comment would be good), via private messages to the me(author), or via email to me.

Thasaidon
10-02-2012, 02:32 PM
I went onto the sites below and also tried Google but could only find websites in Chinese.

I would like to try ePubStar but cannot unless I can work out how to download it. Also has the program been translated into Eng;ish? If not then I probably will not be able to work out how to use it.

Please let us know when you have remedied the above.

Thanks

[QUOTE=oxen;2243063]What is EpubSTAR?

EpubSTAR is available on FORUM:
1. http://www.hi-pda.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=765915
2. http://www.by-smart.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2398
3. http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191270

oxen
10-03-2012, 09:23 AM
EpubSTAR supports English user interface. You can click the language you wish to use.

PeterT
10-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Maybe it does but the installer appears to be only in Chinese....

oxen
10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Maybe it does but the installer appears to be only in Chinese....

Just click "NEXT":

mrmikel
10-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Since not so many westerners are fluent in Chinese, there is going to be a considerable reluctance to click on something where you may have just agreed to have your computer spy on others in your workplace, agreed to pay out money or who knows what.

Thasaidon
10-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Since not so many westerners are fluent in Chinese, there is going to be a considerable reluctance to click on something where you may have just agreed to have your computer spy on others in your workplace, agreed to pay out money or who knows what.

Especially since it is not clear to a non Chinese speaker which is the download link on the website. At least I could not find it.

oxen
10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Especially since it is not clear to a non Chinese speaker which is the download link on the website. At least I could not find it.

[EpubSTAR 2.5.3.21004] 2012-10-04 update:
1. Fixed the garbage of the EpubSTAR Edition identification.
2. Packaged as English installation interface.

JSWolf
10-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Does ePubStar actually remove the mess left in by Word?

Thasaidon
10-05-2012, 08:22 AM
I Have managed to find how to download ePubStar but it would not allow me to do so.

I was reading a translated version of the web page and one important issue is not clear. Is ePubStar a commercial product you are attempting to sell or are you just asking for donations?

oxen
10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I Have managed to find how to download ePubStar but it would not allow me to do so.

I was reading a translated version of the web page and one important issue is not clear. Is ePubStar a commercial product you are attempting to sell or are you just asking for donations?

Developed by myself.
Using is free.
Donate if you like.

Posts replied to you has not been audited by the day before, it may be because of my posts included download links to external websites. Therefore I uploaded the latest version of the program here, 2.5.3.21004:

Download: :EpubSTAR2_5_6.rar (http://www.by-smart.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=ODE0fGE4YWY3ZjI5fDEzNDYzNTcwNzZ8MnwyMzk4)(1.48 MB)

oxen
10-05-2012, 11:25 PM

What does mean the "mess"?

Thasaidon
10-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Developed by myself.
Using is free.
Donate if you like.

Posts replied to you has not been audited by the day before, it may be because of my posts included download links to external websites. Therefore I uploaded the latest version of the program here, 2.5.3.21004:

Thanks for that. I have downloaded it and had a quick look.

Avast checked it the first time I ran it and it did not find any malware or viruses. After reading your help file it seems fairly straigtforward to use and 'Advasnced Mode' it seems to cover most jobs you are likely to do .

I was unable to try it out myself as it appears use parts of to be lMSWord t provide some functionality and I have not got Word installed at the moment.

From what I could see it looks to be a useful addition to the collection os ePub creation software available but a full evaluation by me will have to wait until I have the time, which will not be soon.

JSWolf
10-06-2012, 10:09 AM
What does mean the "mess"?

Word can leave in code that can do things like prevent changing the font, prevent night mode, prevent font size changing and other issues. Also, if you have to edit the code, it's not all that neat and is not as easy to do for some as it should be. take a Word document of some size, export it as HTML filtered and see what you get. You will see what I mean.

oxen
10-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Word can leave in code that can do things like prevent changing the font, prevent night mode, prevent font size changing and other issues. Also, if you have to edit the code, it's not all that neat and is not as easy to do for some as it should be. take a Word document of some size, export it as HTML filtered and see what you get. You will see what I mean.

I do not know whether it is correct that you mean MS Word protection mechanism makes us helpless to Word document code?

Actually, the Word protection mechanism has nothing to do with creating EPUB documents. EpubSTAR can properly recognize and extract information in the Word document, and generate eBook documents following the EPUB specification. The font, paragraph format of Epub documents controlled by the EPUB specification, and reading mode controlled by the EPUB reading software. These all have nothing to do with MS Word. As simple as that.

In addition, I want to clarify that EpubSTAR is not using the HTML export feature of Word to build epub code. This exported HTML documents do not conform to the EPUB specification. It contains a bunch of "mess" as you say, or "redundant code" which I call.

oxen
10-06-2012, 01:47 PM

Well, thank you, I understand.

EpubSTAR can handle "mess". This means that EpubSTAR can handle some common control characters of MS Word, and these control characters will make the EPUB is not through EPUB normative validation.

However, MS Word is a complex hodgepodge, EpubSTAR can't give out all the "mess" solution. Some of the known "mess" is: a text box, picture-text box, and the float property of pictures. These "mess" will be gradually resolved in the development of later.

Currently EpubSTAR the "mess" handling mechanisms are: conversion of common "mess", ignore the rare "mess", generate normative and concise EPUB eBook documents.

oxen
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks for that. I have downloaded it and had a quick look.

Avast checked it the first time I ran it and it did not find any malware or viruses. After reading your help file it seems fairly straigtforward to use and 'Advasnced Mode' it seems to cover most jobs you are likely to do .

I was unable to try it out myself as it appears use parts of to be lMSWord t provide some functionality and I have not got Word installed at the moment.

From what I could see it looks to be a useful addition to the collection os ePub creation software available but a full evaluation by me will have to wait until I have the time, which will not be soon.

Hmmm. You seem to be particularly concerned about the WORD to EPUB capabilities of EpubSTAR. This feature does require MS Word installed previously.

In fact, EpubSTAR has also an other feature: TEXT to EPUB. This feature can be used produce EPUB eBooks txt document. This is also a very interesting feature, very efficient, very fast, customized with great potential.

Thank you for your advise. I expect you to complete the assessment.

JSWolf
10-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Does ePubStar work with Word 2003? If so, I'll give it a go and see how it works.

oxen
10-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Does ePubStar work with Word 2003? If so, I'll give it a go and see how it works.

Yes. EpubSTAR support MS WORD 2003,2007,2010 and later.

JSWolf
10-06-2012, 11:57 PM
Yes. EpubSTAR support MS WORD 2003,2007,2010 and later.

I'll give it a try sometime next week when I have the time.

FunkeXMix
10-15-2012, 01:12 PM
I get a .net Framework (4.0) error when I try to use the application.

"Value cannot be null."

Im running it on Windows 7 64 in Windows XP Sp3 compatibility mode and admin rights. If I choose to continue regardless of the error, all menu text is blank.

Anybody know what the issue is?

tuskin
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM

"Value cannot be null."

Im running it on Windows 7 64 in Windows XP Sp3 compatibility mode and admin rights. If I choose to continue regardless of the error, all menu text is blank.

I get the same on Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit. I sent the details to oxen in a private message.

tuskin

oxen
10-17-2012, 11:40 PM

"Value cannot be null."

Ah, it's a 32bit app. If your system is 64bit, you can run it in compatibility mode.

readme.txt____________________

6.3 Win7/64-bit system environment to run: because this is a 32-bit application, 64-bit systems should run in compatibility mode. Operation:

1) Right-click the EpubSTAR program shortcut, open the Properties dialog box, click the "compatibility" tab.

2) Check "Run this program in compatibility mode", select Windows XP (SP2) or (SP3).

3) Check "Run this program as an administrator".

4) Determines the run.

Oldpilot
10-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Since not so many westerners are fluent in Chinese,

I would nominate this as understatement of the month!

tuskin
10-18-2012, 02:37 PM
Ah, it's a 32bit app. If your system is 64bit, you can run it in compatibility mode.

readme.txt____________________

6.3 Win7/64-bit system environment to run: because this is a 32-bit application, 64-bit systems should run in compatibility mode. Operation:

1) Right-click the EpubSTAR program shortcut, open the Properties dialog box, click the "compatibility" tab.

2) Check "Run this program in compatibility mode", select Windows XP (SP2) or (SP3).

3) Check "Run this program as an administrator".

4) Determines the run.

Unfortunately that does not help. I still get the same error.

Tuskin

Toxaris
10-19-2012, 03:23 AM
A new application in this day and age for which you need to set the compatibility mode? That is a no-no from me.

mrmikel
10-20-2012, 08:05 PM
A new application in this day and age for which you need to set the compatibility mode? That is a no-no from me.

It should be a no no. Gobs of 32 bit applications run just fine without administrator mode on a 64 bit machine like mine. Understandable if it were a system utility or something, but a converter from one text format to another, ridiculous.

oxen
10-26-2012, 04:26 AM
It should be a no no. Gobs of 32 bit applications run just fine without administrator mode on a 64 bit machine like mine. Understandable if it were a system utility or something, but a converter from one text format to another, ridiculous.

New Ver. 2.5.6
Updated: 2012-10-26
Download: EpubSTAR2_5_6.rar (http://www.by-smart.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=ODE0fGE4YWY3ZjI5fDEzNDYzNTcwNzZ8MnwyMzk4)(1.49 MB)

oxen
11-17-2012, 01:44 PM
New Ver. 2.5.7
Updated: 2012-11-05
Download: EpubSTAR2_5_7.rar (http://www.by-smart.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&aid=ODE0fGE4YWY3ZjI5fDEzNDYzNTcwNzZ8MnwyMzk4)(1.49 MB)

JSWolf
11-19-2012, 07:40 PM
The solution is to use Calibre to convert. Then use Sigil to clean up the conversion.

oxen
11-28-2012, 11:42 AM
The solution is to use Calibre to convert. Then use Sigil to clean up the conversion.

Calibre-generated epub contains a large number of redundant code.This is a reason I developed EpubSTAR.

JSWolf
11-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Does EpubSTAR clean up the garbage in Word or do we still have to do it by hand after the conversion?

DSpider
11-30-2012, 07:07 AM
Seems that nobody mentioned this yet; plain text (.txt) is a bad idea for an e-book. If you plan on manually re-adding bolds and italics yourself, that's a VERY bad idea. It takes a significant amount of mental effort to visually "scan" every paragraph for italics and other styles, and you're bound to miss a few of them throughout the entire book.

JSWolf
11-30-2012, 11:59 AM
There is such a thing as text markup. Project Gutenberg uses text markup so we know where bold & italics belong.

_text_ = italics
*text* = bold
*_text_* = bold italics

oxen
12-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Does EpubSTAR clean up the garbage in Word or do we still have to do it by hand after the conversion?

EpubSTAR generates concise code, not junk code.
Therefore, we do not need to manually do the cleaning work after the coversion.:)

oxen
12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Seems that nobody mentioned this yet; plain text (.txt) is a bad idea for an e-book. If you plan on manually re-adding bolds and italics yourself, that's a VERY bad idea. It takes a significant amount of mental effort to visually "scan" every paragraph for italics and other styles, and you're bound to miss a few of them throughout the entire book.

Plain text document is not an e-book, but rather a document.What we need is an e-Book, and epub is an ideal e-book format with a rich formats. EpubSTAR is a program to convert the document into the e-book.

Perhaps you mean it is difficult to convert the txt into epub with rich format. May, in fact, txt document has not rich format as word document, and Txt-to-EPU is not convenient as Word-to-the EPUB. But EpubSTAR can identifies the chapter headings and sets it to the h1~h6 styles, and it's beautiful too.

oxen
12-02-2012, 02:48 AM

Text(txt) to Epub sample:
Source:97100
Epub: 97101

Generating:

Figure:

oxen
12-02-2012, 07:01 AM
[EpubSTAR 2.5.8.21201] 2012-12-01 update:
Fixed Word-to-EPUB bug of heading ID Duplicating when TOC level less than the actual heading level.
Fixed Word-to-EPUB bug of copyright information item identifying failure when indenting the paragraphs.

JSWolf
12-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Why does the RAR (should be a ZIP file) file have two installer files? It has setup.exe and an msi file. Both are installers.

oxen
12-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Why does the RAR (should be a ZIP file) file have two installer files? It has setup.exe and an msi file. Both are installers.

exe or msi, run any one of them. Recommend running the Setup.exe.:)

oxen
01-03-2013, 04:21 AM
[EpubSTAR 2.6.0.21228] 2012-12-28 update:

Added regional language interface and processing capabilities of Macao for traditional Chinese users in Macao.
Added page parameter customization function in built-in styles. When using built-in styles such as Oxen's Style, you can customize the page common parameters (margins, line spacing, font size, color, Text-indent and alignment, and so on).
Added indentation style automatic recognition function.
Added function of Word-to-EPUB "code-title" "code" style recognition to facilitate genaration of computer books.
Added "code-title" "code" style in EpubSTAR beautiful Word template to facilitate genaration of computer books.
Added meta-data language recognition function for Chinese and English language treatmentation.
Added copyright information items recognition function, including "Title", "PubDate", "Pub Date"," Type","Category","Creator","Version","Date", and so on.
Optimized Word-to-Epub TOC data collection and processing, to avoid the picture, word control characters as the heading style.
Optimized blank line processing for reading software effectively display blank line to facilitate sub-section of the poetry and the classics.
Optimized book information style and word style recognition ability, that books information names and Word style name is case-insensitive.
Optimized regional language identification: date format to comply with regional (country) format (switch in the "View" menu).
Optimized regional language identification: Epub metadata and HTML/XHTML document language to comply with regional languages (switch in the "View" menu).
Optimized indentation styles treatment, which clearing space at the beginning of paragraphs in the source document to indent.
Fixed the bug of subtitle being treated as the title in title page.
Built-in Oxen's Style 5.6 and Oxen Font Style 2.7.Prior to download: 57,870.

[Oxen Font Style 2.6] 2012-12-13 update:

Added GBK font recognition.
Added calling font path definition of Nook for Android, supporting its aesthetic reading.
Rmbedded font path to upper case.
[Oxen's Style 5.5] 2012-12-13 update.

Oxen Font Style upgraded to 2.6.
Added Founder GBK font identification and improved the Simplified and Traditional font recognition.
Added class selectors define 8 font style.
fix code error of "end" style selector.
[Oxen Font Style 2.7] 2010-01-01 update:

Added and optimized calling font path definition of Duokan 2012 and older version on Kindle.
Optimized definition calling local fonts for Calibre E-Book accurately identifying the the local font definitions and displaying multi-font aesthetic format. ADE2.0 and Azardi Reader 2 temporarily unable to identify CSS3 local font definition.
[Oxen's Style 5.6] 2013-01-01 update:

Oxen Font Style upgraded to 2.7.
Optimized class selectors calling local fonts for ADE2.0, Calibre E-Book and Azardi Reader 2 accurately identifying the the local font definitions and displaying multi-font aesthetic format.

Arios
01-05-2013, 02:21 AM
@ oxen,

I am not a faint heart, so I have tried your app (latest version 2.6.0.) :D

Unfortunately it does not work with my system: win 7 64 bit home premium.

The problem is related to .Net Framework and the error message is, in short:

Unhandled exception has occured in your ap....
Value cannot be nul.
Parameter name: input.
And a few details: Sys Arg NullExcep: value cannot be null...

It seems to be linked with regex, but I dont know.

Too bad!

oxen
01-07-2013, 05:33 AM
@ oxen,

I am not a faint heart, so I have tried your app (latest version 2.6.0.) :D

Unfortunately it does not work with my system: win 7 64 bit home premium.

The problem is related to .Net Framework and the error message is, in short:

Unhandled exception has occured in your ap....
Value cannot be nul.
Parameter name: input.
And a few details: Sys Arg NullExcep: value cannot be null...

It seems to be linked with regex, but I dont know.

Too bad!

Does the error occurred while starting the software, or generating EPUB?
Could you upload the source documents (txt or Word) for my test?

Arios
01-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Oxen,

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, the error occurs while starting the software. Two options are suggested: stop or continue the program. If I continue, the program window is empty and nonfunctional.

By the way I use the latest .Net Framework.

oxen
01-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Oxen,

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, the error occurs while starting the software. Two options are suggested: stop or continue the program. If I continue, the program window is empty and nonfunctional.

By the way I use the latest .Net Framework.

Do you install older version of this software? May be the error caused by the old version's ini file in the install directory. Try:
1. Remove the old ini files, and then start EpubSTAR again.
or
2. Delete it after uninstalling EpubSTAR, and then reinstall it.

Arios
01-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Oxen,

My problem with EpubStar is clearly linked to. Net.

I had a look to the ini file and it was the most recent.

But I also found that ini file contains both english and Chinese comments: is it necessary?

Oxen, I think this is the problem. I bet my English version of windows 7 can not "digest" some of these characters.

I have absolutely nothing against Chinese language, but there is not so long, simple accented letters (, , , ) had hard time displaying under Windows, and Chinese is much more complicated!

Here's what I suggest: strictly separate versions. So, for the Chinese version which seems to work well: all in Chinese.

For "international" version you should, IMO, put all program modules exclusively in English: so no Chinese comments or Chinese caracters which could break the program!

Thus, your program is more likely to be "fully" compatible if my guess is good enough.

By the way, have you been able to test it on different English or, for example, French versions of win (xp, Vista, 7) to see what happen there with EpubStar?

oxen
01-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Thank you very much! I'll try to do as you say.

Oxen,

My problem with EpubStar is clearly linked to. Net.

I had a look to the ini file and it was the most recent.

But I also found that ini file contains both english and Chinese comments: is it necessary?

Oxen, I think this is the problem. I bet my English version of windows 7 can not "digest" some of these characters.

I have absolutely nothing against Chinese language, but there is not so long, simple accented letters (, , , ) had hard time displaying under Windows, and Chinese is much more complicated!

Here's what I suggest: strictly separate versions. So, for the Chinese version which seems to work well: all in Chinese.

For "international" version you should, IMO, put all program modules exclusively in English: so no Chinese comments or Chinese caracters which could break the program!

Thus, your program is more likely to be "fully" compatible if my guess is good enough.

By the way, have you been able to test it on different English or, for example, French versions of win (xp, Vista, 7) to see what happen there with EpubStar?

Arios
01-12-2013, 04:11 PM
You are welcome Oxen!

By the way, I read on by-smart.com web site (http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html) the requirements needed for EpubSTAR (ES) and, frankly, it is far too demanding!

Here is why.

Regarding .NET. Well, many win users have already it, so it's not a big problem. But that does not mean that all win users would install it on their computer just to use ES.

In my opinion, this is not a good idea that ES can automatically download .NET. I think it is imperative to ask the user before, so he or she can decide if it should be added or not.

"Install Microsoft Word. If you want to use the feature of "WORD to EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required." [Quotes are from the by-smart web site]

Pardon me Oxen, I really don't want to be rude, but this is a bit ridiculous. I do not know how much it cost for a genuine copy of Word where you live, but in North America and Europe:

it is an expensive piece of software;
there are other free and good options like OpenOffice or LibreOffice;
and, possibly, many users don't care about it (MS Word).

So you share a tool that is not able to works completely by itself! Too bad! Oxen, why not include support for odt files?

"temporarily close the related security software"

Frankly, nobody will disconnect his firewall to install this kind of program: this is not a safe option.

"because EpubSTAR need to download data such as Oxen's styles"

Not very good either here. If ES needs these files, they must absolutely be included within the program.

Sorry Oxen, but as it is currently configured, I could not install EpubSTAR, even if my previously reported problems were resolved.

Good luck anyway!

oxen
01-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Thank you very much! Your so suggestion is of great value. I will think over your suggestion, and try to to follow your recommendations to improve the program.

The following explains a few questions :

About installing .NET: The installation program could automatically determine whether need to install. NET. In fact, most of the PC has. NET, so it will not repeat the installation. Installation Guide has been given the relevant statements. Nevertheless, your advice is right --- "he or she can decide if it should be added or not."

About the MS Word: EpubSTAR have two functions: Text-to-EPUB and Word-to-EPUB which the former does not require pre-installed MS WORD. Without MS Word, we could generate completely epub eBook with Text-to-EPUB function of EpubSTAR. Now, I am developing version 3.0, and it can generate EPUB ebook, with Word-to-EPUB function and without MS WORD.

Security software problem of false positives: It is said that for a Chinese anti-virus software that contains malicious tendencies. In fact, most of the users haven't this problem because without installing that anti-virus software.

Oxen's style download problem: You are right and the Oxen's style has been integrated in the program (in the "css" subdirectory). But the style sheet file is updated frequently, but EpubSTAR infrequently. Therefore it is necessary to download and update the new versions of Oxen's Style and other built-in style sheets.

Thanks again for your valuable advice, I will work hard to improve the software to facilitate the needs of the e-book lovers.

You are welcome Oxen!

By the way, I read on by-smart.com web site (http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html) the requirements needed for EpubSTAR (ES) and, frankly, it is far too demanding!

Here is why.

Regarding .NET. Well, many win users have already it, so it's not a big problem. But that does not mean that all win users would install it on their computer just to use ES.

In my opinion, this is not a good idea that ES can automatically download .NET. I think it is imperative to ask the user before, so he or she can decide if it should be added or not.

"Install Microsoft Word. If you want to use the feature of "WORD to EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required." [Quotes are from the by-smart web site]

Pardon me Oxen, I really don't want to be rude, but this is a bit ridiculous. I do not know how much it cost for a genuine copy of Word where you live, but in North America and Europe:

it is an expensive piece of software;
there are other free and good options like OpenOffice or LibreOffice;
and, possibly, many users don't care about it (MS Word).

So you share a tool that is not able to works completely by itself! Too bad! Oxen, why not include support for odt files?

"temporarily close the related security software"

Frankly, nobody will disconnect his firewall to install this kind of program: this is not a safe option.

"because EpubSTAR need to download data such as Oxen's styles"

Not very good either here. If ES needs these files, they must absolutely be included within the program.

Sorry Oxen, but as it is currently configured, I could not install EpubSTAR, even if my previously reported problems were resolved.

Good luck anyway!

DaleDe
01-13-2013, 05:36 PM
You might want to take a look at http://mono-project.com/Main_Page which is an open source .net environment for use on platforms other than windows.

Dale

Arios
01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
Oxen,

I like your fairplay and your open mind. I am sure you really want to help.

Now, I am developing version 3.0, and it can generate EPUB ebook, with Word-to-EPUB function and without MS WORD.

This is a very good move and doing that EpubSTAR can be certainly more easily adopted.

For 4 : just indicate to download it when necessary ?

DaleDe's suggestion seems promising.

oxen
01-13-2013, 09:14 PM
You might want to take a look at http://mono-project.com/Main_Page which is an open source .net environment for use on platforms other than windows.

Dale

Thanks! I'll visit this website for learning more and improving my app.

oxen
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Oxen,

I like your fairplay and your open mind. I am sure you really want to help.

This is a very good move and doing that EpubSTAR can be certainly more easily adopted.

For 4 : just indicate to download it when necessary ?

DaleDe's suggestion seems promising.

Yes, I will do my best to do it well.

Built-in styles are frequently updated and can be download by users at any time.

oxen
01-17-2013, 11:04 AM
[EpubSTAR 2.6.1.30115] 2013-01-15 update:

Removed the tips of the missing files when the program starts.
[EpubSTAR 2.6.1.30117] 2013-01-17 update:

Optimized Word-to-EPUB's non-text objects recognition to prevent some problems caused by an unknown object.
Optimized Word-to-EPUB's style name recognition.

JSWolf
01-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Does EpubSTAR handle the garbage in Word by either removing it or fixing it?

Toxaris
01-18-2013, 03:17 AM
It probably uses the savetoHTML function either in Word or via .NET. If there are no additional reworks, the answer would be no.

oxen
01-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Does EpubSTAR handle the garbage in Word by either removing it or fixing it?

EpubSTAR generates clean epub books without any redundant code.:)

JSWolf
01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
EpubSTAR generates clean epub books without any redundant code.:)

I'm not talking about redundent code. I'm talking about tidying up the messy code left behind in Word. Is that handled? I've seen Calibre conversions of Word and they are a mess. Not because of Calibre, but because of Word.

Arios
01-18-2013, 11:39 PM
Oxen,

Could you please, send us an epub file created with ES?

Any text (full or in part) in the public domain in Canada would do the trick I think.

So we could look at the html code and css created by ES.

I think it would suit and please JSWolf and perhaps Toxaris :).

oxen
01-19-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm not talking about redundent code. I'm talking about tidying up the messy code left behind in Word. Is that handled? I've seen Calibre conversions of Word and they are a mess. Not because of Calibre, but because of Word.

EpubSTAR do not "tidying up the messy code" in the Word document , because not using the "Save to the HTML". The EPUB generated by EpubSTAR is clean without any "messy code".

Perhaps the the following attached pictures help you intuitively understand how EpubSTAR generates clean code.

oxen
01-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Oxen,

Could you please, send us an epub file created with ES?

Any text (full or in part) in the public domain in Canada would do the trick I think.

So we could look at the html code and css created by ES.

I think it would suit and please JSWolf and perhaps Toxaris :).

In #38 and #61 threads's annexes,there are the txt/docx/epub files you need.:)

Arios
01-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Very nice and clean epub indeed (the DOCandEPUB.rar).

It also looks nice (among others, the <h2> coding)

Thank you for sharing Oxen.

oxen
01-19-2013, 11:45 PM
Very nice and clean epub indeed (the DOCandEPUB.rar).

It also looks nice (among others, the <h2> coding)

Thank you for sharing Oxen.

Thank you. EpubSTAR has be updated to version 2.6.2 today.

oxen
01-19-2013, 11:47 PM
[EpubSTAR 2.6.2.30120] 2013-01-20 update:
1. Optimized Word-to-the EPUB's non-built-in heading style identify to avoid missing.
2. Fixed Word-to-the EPUB's bug of missing a first letter in English interface.

ForsCream
01-20-2013, 02:50 AM
hi Oxen,
may I have your email?

oxen
01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
hi Oxen,
may I have your email?

:)See PM.

frank14612
04-09-2013, 05:53 PM
亲爱的牛,被任何进一步发展的EpubStar程序?这似乎是一个精彩的节目,EPUB,像我这样的初学者 。我一直没能得到最新的版本(2.6-1)本主题中的工作,我的系统上,Win7家庭高级版64位,即使我已经照着所有的说明仔细。当我告诉程序 创建的epub文件,Windows消息说,该应用程序已停止工作 - 什么是错的,没有其他指示。发生任何变化,我已经重复此过程约10倍。感谢你的努力!

Dear Oxen, has there been any further development of the EpubStar program? It would seem to be a wonderful program for epub-making beginners like me. I have not been able to get the latest version (2.6-1) available in this topic to work on my system, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, even though I have followed all the instructions carefully. As soon as I tell the program to Create the epub document, a Windows message says that the application has stopped working -- with no other indication as to what is wrong. I have repeated this procedure about 10 times with no variations occurring. Thank you for your efforts!

Frank D

JSWolf
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Why not use Calibre? It works.

ondasalfa
04-09-2013, 09:17 PM
because calibre does not accept doc format, and also because it is good to have more options

JSWolf
04-09-2013, 10:33 PM
because calibre does not accept doc format, and also because it is good to have more options

And it's hard to save to RTF because?

Arios
04-10-2013, 02:06 PM
Hi frank14612,

You can find the latest version here: http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/epubstar_cn.html.

I didn't try the last version, but I have had the same problem: not working with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Better than Calibre you can use Apache Open Office with Writer2Xhtml (here http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/). If you don't use AOO it is a big prog to install, but I think it deserve it.

frank14612
04-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Arios,

Thank you very much for your reply! Nice to know I'm not the only one with the problem. :smiley:

As you suggested, I tried the latest version of epubstar, but got the same results as with the previous version. :sad2:

However, I now have gotten excellent results from using two very different methods.

First, I used MS Word to create an RTF file of my 4-page test epic, which includes many bullets, screenshots and links. Next, I opened it with Calibre and converted it directly into the EPUB format. It took me a lot of trial-and-error and back-and-forth in Word and Calibre until I got things right, but I finally got it to look good.

Then, after reading your suggestion, above, I downloaded the Writer2Xhtml plugins you recommended and installed them into Open Office (which I already had). I opened my RTF file in OO just as it was at that point, exported it to EPUB, and opened it in Calibre. It was even better than the RTF-to-EPUB! This is definitely the way to go! :clap:

I appreciate your recommendation. It saved me a lot of dangerous downloading of shady software and wasted effort. :thanks:

Frank

Arios
04-10-2013, 08:18 PM
Glad it works for you!

There are many ways to create epub, but to edit them, you can also take a look at Sigil.

May a little karma be with you!

oxen
04-16-2013, 04:06 AM
亲爱的牛,被任何进一步发展的EpubStar程序?这似乎是一个精彩的节目,EPUB,像我这样的初学者 。我一直没能得到最新的版本(2.6-1)本主题中的工作,我的系统上,Win7家庭高级版64位,即使我已经照着所有的说明仔细。当我告诉程序 创建的epub文件,Windows消息说,该应用程序已停止工作 - 什么是错的,没有其他指示。发生任何变化,我已经重复此过程约10倍。感谢你的努力!

Dear Oxen, has there been any further development of the EpubStar program? It would seem to be a wonderful program for epub-making beginners like me. I have not been able to get the latest version (2.6-1) available in this topic to work on my system, Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, even though I have followed all the instructions carefully. As soon as I tell the program to Create the epub document, a Windows message says that the application has stopped working -- with no other indication as to what is wrong. I have repeated this procedure about 10 times with no variations occurring. Thank you for your efforts!

Frank D

Thanks for your feedback.

Have you installed MS Word yet?If you want to use the feature of "WORD to
EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required.
http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html

Now, I am committed to the development of version 3, Word to EPUB capabilities will be more powerful.

oxen
04-16-2013, 04:20 AM
Hi frank14612,

You can find the latest version here: http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/epubstar_cn.html.

I didn't try the last version, but I have had the same problem: not working with Win7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Better than Calibre you can use Apache Open Office with Writer2Xhtml (here http://writer2latex.sourceforge.net/). If you don't use AOO it is a big prog to install, but I think it deserve it.

I'm confused what is the cause of the problem? Windows Home Edition, or not installed MS Word?

My two win8 computer (32-bit and 64-bit) runs without any problem. My 57 paying customers including XP/win7/win8/32-bit/64-bit systems.

Arios
04-18-2013, 03:15 PM
你好 oxen,

Nice to see you again here!

oxen, I already pointed out, in post # 43, 45 and 47 my problem with ES and of course things have not changed because I didn't try the last update, simply because I have a bunch of apps to fulfill my goals with epub. So please, don't take it to personal, I was not bashing your app and this is not a negative judgment about the new version of ES.

If I can find a solution for .NET, I'll give a fresh start to ES.

BTW are you working to a way to add more files format, maybe odt?

Have a nice day oxen!

Leonatus
04-18-2013, 04:11 PM
My device runs under Windows 7, 32 bit. After having opened the rar files, it's not possible to work the setup.exe with the report: "Unable to locate application file 'EpubSTAR.msi'." When I have installed it using the EPubStar.msi, opening is impossible with the report: Value cannot be Null - Parameter name: input. It's only possible to open sort of frame from a "EPubStar lite" version. I Have tried what Oxen recommended, but without success. I'd really like to work with the programm; it's just what I have been looking for. Is there no chance to get it right?

frank14612
04-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your feedback.

Have you installed MS Word yet?If you want to use the feature of "WORD to
EPUB", Word 2003 or higher version is also required.
http://www.by-smart.com/epubstar/setup_en.html

Now, I am committed to the development of version 3, Word to EPUB capabilities will be more powerful.
Oxen,

Thank you for your reply. No I haven't installed Word 2003 or higher. I'm still using Word 2002 because it works for everything I need to do (up to this point). This is most likely the reason epubstar won't work for me. I will keep following this thread to see if there are further developments and reasons for me to spend $$$ to upgrade Word 2003. However, I must say that I will never go to a version of Word (or Office) that uses the "ribbon"! :eek: I've tried it on other people's PCs, and I can't stand using it or even the thought of living with that monstrosity.

Frank D

oxen
04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
你好 oxen,

Nice to see you again here!

oxen, I already pointed out, in post # 43, 45 and 47 my problem with ES and of course things have not changed because I didn't try the last update, simply because I have a bunch of apps to fulfill my goals with epub. So please, don't take it to personal, I was not bashing your app and this is not a negative judgment about the new version of ES.

If I can find a solution for .NET, I'll give a fresh start to ES.

BTW are you working to a way to add more files format, maybe odt?

Have a nice day oxen!

Thanks for your good advice, I will learn from your good advice in future upgrades.

In future releases, I will consider support odt format.

Now I'm busy with the development of version 3.0, very sorry for the delayed response.

oxen
04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Oxen,

Thank you for your reply. No I haven't installed Word 2003 or higher. I'm still using Word 2002 because it works for everything I need to do (up to this point). This is most likely the reason epubstar won't work for me. I will keep following this thread to see if there are further developments and reasons for me to spend $$$ to upgrade Word 2003. However, I must say that I will never go to a version of Word (or Office) that uses the "ribbon"! :eek: I've tried it on other people's PCs, and I can't stand using it or even the thought of living with that monstrosity.

Frank D

Hehe, you're very interesting;). In fact, the "Ribbon" is a pretty good tool after you get used to it--Frequently used functions are at a glance. Compared with the original menu, it's easier to find, and easier to click.

Interestingly, EpubSTAR work properly when I used Word 97. I guess that some problem in the word document causes EpubSTAR to not work. If possible, sent me the document to try.

oxen
04-23-2013, 11:41 AM
My device runs under Windows 7, 32 bit. After having opened the rar files, it's not possible to work the setup.exe with the report: "Unable to locate application file 'EpubSTAR.msi'." When I have installed it using the EPubStar.msi, opening is impossible with the report: Value cannot be Null - Parameter name: input. It's only possible to open sort of frame from a "EPubStar lite" version. I Have tried what Oxen recommended, but without success. I'd really like to work with the programm; it's just what I have been looking for. Is there no chance to get it right?

Installation is unsuccessful, or running unsuccessful? Can you cut a figure it?
Perhaps there's a compatibility problem between EpubSTAR and German windows system. I have solved this problem in version 3.0.

oxen
10-28-2013, 02:12 AM
[EpubSTAR 3.0.0.31019] 2013-10-19 update:
1. Word-to-EPUB features processing speed boost the number of times.
2. Add Markdown-to-EPUB features.
3. Add Chinese vertical layout processing features.
3. Output eBook format is upgraded to EPUB3. Add "output format" select features supporting output EPUB2, EPUB3 and EPUB3 (EPUB2) three formats of eBooks.
4. Add Word-to-EPUB's new functions such recognition of table, floating image (wrapping) , text box (frame), hyperlink function, inline style (HTML code) in word document.
5. Registered edition number of footnotes, images, links, processing no longer limit.
6. Optimize Word-to-EPUB footnotes handling features. Support end of chapter and end of book; support for multiple-paragraph annotation (a note that contains multiple paragraphs); support the annotation paragraph style recognition. (2013-6-19)
7. Add copyright page generation capabilities, including:
. Books cataloging in publication (CIP) data
. Publishing project data
. Creating data
8. Optimize back cover features.
9. Optimize the TOC page of epub2 and epub3.
10. Add Word-to-EPUB's style recognition of "Copyright", "Copyright Heading" style.
11. Add word-to-EPUB's copyright page and back cover page style recognition of "Copyright Heading","Copyright Bold", "Copyright", "Back Cover Heading", Back Cover Bold",Back Cover style.
12. Optimize Word-to-EPUB document templates, add "Copyright Heading", "Copyright Bold", "Copyright", "Back Cover Heading", "Back Cover Bold", "Back Cover" style.
13. Add book information identify funtion from copyright page, optimize book information identify funtion from back cover page.
14. Optimize metadata handling to identify DCMES (Dublin Core metadata set) 15 core elements.
15. up to dozens of other new features and optimizations.
Download : 85,863.

[Oxen style 6.0]2013-10-19 update:
1. Add a vertical layout.
2. Upgrade the CSS3 specification.
3. Add photo caption style, includes aside and bottom.
4. Optimize the picture display.
5. Added heading 1 (h1), heading 2 (h2) font shadow effects supported by EPUB3 reader. (2013-4-10)
6. Optimize the first letter drop caps, add background and shadow effects supported by EPUB3 reader. (2013-4-10)
7. Optimize definition of the width of the picture class. (2013-4-11)
8. Add height10~100 class selectors, optimize width10~100 class selectors, to improve the picture display. (2013-4-27)
9. Optimize Contents page for epub3. (2013-5-11)
10. Oxen Font Style upgraded to 3.0.

[Oxen Font Styles 3.0]2013-10-19 update:
1. Add Pocket Book Garden(EpubReader) for iOS multiple fonts mapping definitions, supporting local fonts and users's custom fonts.
2. Optimize the iBooks3 font mapping definitions.
3. Add Kindle Paperwihite font mapping definitions to suport built-in three-font such as Songti, Kaiti and Heiti after converting EPUB to azw3 format.
4. Add multiple fonts support for koreader reading software.

JSWolf
10-28-2013, 10:50 AM
[Oxen Font Styles 3.0]2013-10-19 update:
1. Add Pocket Book Garden(EpubReader) for iOS multiple fonts mapping definitions, supporting local fonts and users's custom fonts.
2. Optimize the iBooks3 font mapping definitions.
3. Add Kindle Paperwihite font mapping definitions to suport built-in three-font such as Songti, Kaiti and Heiti after converting EPUB to azw3 format.
4. Add multiple fonts support for koreader reading software.

Bad idea to support font embedding that's non-standard (aka device specific).

oxen
10-29-2013, 04:17 AM
Bad idea to support font embedding that's non-standard (aka device specific).

Thank you for attention.

These are all external fonts, not embedded fonts.

It's a new feature of EPUB3 to support embedded fonts. Although I don't like embedded fonts too.

EPUB3 supports system fonts, intrinsic fonts, user fonts and embedded fonts, the first three of which are non-embedded fonts (external fonts). Oxen Fonts Style 3.0's new multiple fonts supporting are all intrinsic or user fonts.

JSWolf
10-29-2013, 10:51 AM
ePub 2 also supports accessing fronts from outside of the ePub. But the way to do it is rather device specific.

DaleDe
10-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Epub 2 also supports embedded fonts so there is nothing here that is ePub 3 specific.

Dale

oxen
10-30-2013, 05:37 AM
EPUB3 explicitly request Reading System must support embedded fonts.

EPUB2 not explicitly required, it may be the font's copyright issues. But in fact, many EPUB2 Reading System supports embedded fonts.

Leonatus
10-30-2013, 02:28 PM
Installation is unsuccessful, or running unsuccessful? Can you cut a figure it?
Perhaps there's a compatibility problem between EpubSTAR and German windows system. I have solved this problem in version 3.0.

Sorry, still no fun. Installation completed, but running ends up with an empty GUI (i. e. some lines where there should obviously be some text or command fields). Lamentable!

oxen
10-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Sorry, still no fun. Installation completed, but running ends up with an empty GUI (i. e. some lines where there should obviously be some text or command fields). Lamentable!

After installing the latest version 3.0, there will still be the problem?

Leonatus
10-31-2013, 04:58 PM
After installing the latest version 3.0, there will still be the problem?

Yes, I downloaded and installed it completely new. That's why I wrote again.

forster01
11-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Ummm, im having a big problem so a screen shot may help:

No command is visble:
http://zaslike.com/files/9wi3dc94keyih2co15e.png

Also on opening i got bunch of same msgboxes, saying please report feadback, errors and bla..bla, again and again 8-10 times after i click ok...

oxen
11-14-2013, 02:31 AM

No command is visble:

Also on opening i got bunch of same msgboxes, saying please report feadback, errors and bla..bla, again and again 8-10 times after i click ok...

Oh, ...
Maybe you can send me a screenshot of the error dialog box?
Detailed information can easily determine the cause of the problem.
:thanks:

Leonatus
11-14-2013, 04:56 AM
Oxen,
what happened to Forster01 is exactly what occured to me. Only to your information.

oxen
11-19-2013, 08:42 PM
Oxen,
what happened to Forster01 is exactly what occured to me. Only to your information.

The menu is empty because EpubSTAR does not know German and other non-English windows. I did not specifically generated German and other non-English version.

There are two solutions:
1. Switch the Windows language into English.
2. Wait for a pack of German and other languages. But I know nothing about the German language. It requires expert help for translating menus and prompts interface.

Thank you!

Toxaris
11-20-2013, 03:26 AM
The menu is empty because EpubSTAR does not know German and other non-English windows. I did not specifically generated German and other non-English version.

There are two solutions:
1. Switch the Windows language into English.
2. Wait for a pack of German and other languages. But I know nothing about the German language. It requires expert help for translating menus and prompts interface.

Thank you!

Funny... I would turn it around. If it sees a language it does not know, default to English. Much more user friendly. Often it is not possible to switch Windows language. It is much easier to adapt the program than the whole freaking OS.

oxen
11-20-2013, 03:47 AM
Funny... I would turn it around. If it sees a language it does not know, default to English. Much more user friendly. Often it is not possible to switch Windows language. It is much easier to adapt the program than the whole freaking OS.

I'm sorry. I didn't expect that many non-English friends be interested in it.

In this way, we must wait for enthusiastic friends to help translate.

oxen
11-20-2013, 11:54 AM

No command is visble:

New version has been updated, try it works now?

oxen
11-20-2013, 11:57 AM
[EpubSTAR3.0.2] 2013-11-20 update:
1. Optimize image processing module to solve floating picture Solving picture dislocation issue when interacting with embedded pictures.
2. Optimize international language processing module to solve the menu empty issue of non-English regional.
Download: 87,838.

[Oxen style 6.0.7] 2013-11-20 update:
1. Optimize table color scheme.
2. Optimize contents page style.
3. Optimize table styles.
4. Optimize heading style.

[EpubSTAR quick style 3.0.7] 2013-11-20 update:
1. Optimize table color scheme.
2. Optimize contents page style.
3. Optimize table styles.

DaleDe
11-20-2013, 01:50 PM
I downloaded from the web site, extracted the contents but the installation hangs with the message checking for disk space. I have windows 7 32 bit professional.

oxen
11-20-2013, 09:02 PM
I downloaded from the web site, extracted the contents but the installation hangs with the message checking for disk space. I have windows 7 32 bit professional.

:blink:
May be low on disk space? Installing EpubSTAR only need 5MB of disk space.
EpubSTAR supports the Winddow XP/Vista/7/8, and 32bit/64bit.
My home PC is win7/32bit, now upgraded to the win8/32bit; office computer win7/32bit now win8/64bit. They are installed correctly and running properly.

PremaEbooks
11-21-2013, 04:59 AM
Oxen, same problem here.

If your are interested in a translation to SPANISH (Spain, not South America) maybe I could help.:2thumbsup

Just contact me, send me all the english text and I'll translate it to spanish.

It seems a quite nice software. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Last version 3.0.2 seems to work fine :thumbsup:
Anyway, if your are interested in a translation to Spanish contact me and I'll try to work it out.

I'll do some test and give some feed back about the results.
Thanks!:)

oxen
11-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Oxen, same problem here.

If your are interested in a translation to SPANISH (Spain, not South America) maybe I could help.:2thumbsup

Just contact me, send me all the english text and I'll translate it to spanish.

It seems a quite nice software. :thumbsup:

EDIT: Last version 3.0.2 seems to work fine :thumbsup:
Anyway, if your are interested in a translation to Spanish contact me and I'll try to work it out.

I'll do some test and give some feed back about the results.
Thanks!:)

OK! Attached fill(115515) is Excel document. Please Column B to C, from English to Spanish.
Our work will benefit the more friends. Thank you very much!

Leonatus
11-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Oxen,
cannot confirm what PremaEbooks said. In version 3.0.2 same problems. Downloaded from post #1, but version 2.6 is indicated at install.
Sorry!

oxen
11-21-2013, 10:57 PM
Oxen,
cannot confirm what PremaEbooks said. In version 3.0.2 same problems. Downloaded from post #1, but version 2.6 is indicated at install.
Sorry!

I have just returned from post #1 to download and install it, and it is the latest version 3.0.2. Please try it again?

Leonatus
11-22-2013, 03:40 AM
Seems to be a misunderstanding: In post #1, there appears version 3.0.2, but when the program screen pops up, there is version 2.6 indicated. I well believe that its in fact the newest version, but did you transpose the numbering of your actual version to the software metadata themselves?
Cheers

PremaEbooks
11-22-2013, 06:45 AM
OK! Attached fill(115515) is Excel document. Please Column B to C, from English to Spanish.
Our work will benefit the more friends. Thank you very much!

:thumbsup:
Sure it will... :)

Oxen,
Sorry!

Working on Windows 7 Ultimate.
About info: 3.0.2.31120-20131120
:2thumbsup

oxen
11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Seems to be a misunderstanding: In post #1, there appears version 3.0.2, but when the program screen pops up, there is version 2.6 indicated. I well believe that its in fact the newest version, but did you transpose the numbering of your actual version to the software metadata themselves?
Cheers

Perhaps it's better to uninstall the old version from Control Pannel and then install the new version.

A copy of the new version has been sent to you via email.

Leonatus
11-25-2013, 02:50 AM
I deleted all and installed again from post #1. Now it works well, and, as far as I can see, there are really well-thought features! Congratulations, Oxen!

Leonatus
11-26-2013, 02:50 AM
Hm, I uploaded a .md file, chose "markdown to epub". Worked so far, but f. ex. "_text_" didn't become conversed into italics in the epub. Did I overlook something?

No big problem, I can easily transform markdown text to HTML or something, but if there is a function "markdown to epub" ...

forster01
11-28-2013, 04:06 PM
My windows is mainly on English, but i have option for other languages on the taskbar/toolbar.
this new version works fine but i have again 8-10 msgboxes of "leave a feedback..." on opening.

Leonatus
11-28-2013, 04:22 PM
My windows is mainly on English, but i have option for other languages on the taskbar/toolbar.

Those languages are, step by step, to come soon. Previously german and spanish as the next ones, as far as I know. Patience!

this new version works fine but i have again 8-10 msgboxes of "leave a feedback..." on opening.

Me too, and this should be amended soon. I guess oxen liked to make sure there is a conscience of his wish of feedback. Too much is too much, however.

oxen
12-10-2013, 05:01 AM
Those languages are, step by step, to come soon. Previously german and spanish as the next ones, as far as I know. Patience!

Me too, and this should be amended soon. I guess oxen liked to make sure there is a conscience of his wish of feedback. Too much is too much, however.

I have completed interface section of German version, you can try it. Main program EpubSTAR.exe has been sent to you mailbox. Replace the original file of the new EpubSTAR.exe.

PremaEbooks
12-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Sorry for the delay...
The Spanish translation is going on, I expect I'll have it finished soon.
It's been kind of a nightmare at work the last weeks... and now I can focus on the translation ;)

oxen
01-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Sorry for the delay...
The Spanish translation is going on, I expect I'll have it finished soon.
It's been kind of a nightmare at work the last weeks... and know I can focus on the translation ;)

Thanks for your efforts. I am currently rewriting multi-language modules, and expects that it can be completed within a week. At that time, Spain Edition also can also go into the testing phase.

oxen
01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
[ EpubSTAR 3.1.0] 2014-01-26 Update :

Add Word-to-EPUB Word's style recognition function of "Dedication""Dedicationtitle ""Epigraph""Epigraphtitle". ( 2013-12-1 )
Add indented paragraph style recognition function to optimize the first letter style processing. ( 2013-12-1 )
Fix code problems of epub2 format generating. Thank lowy for report. ( 2013-12-8 )
Add German interface version. Thanks Leonatus's translation work, who come from Germany. ( 2013-12-19 )
Add Spanish interface version. Thanks PremaEbooks's translation work, who come from Spanish. ( 2013-12-19 )
Add Kindle e-book format mobi (KF6 and KF8) generation function. Including : Word to Mobi, Text to Mobi, Markdown to Mobi. ( 2014-1-4 )
Add background image feature of Titlepage, Copyright page, Backcover page and Heading 1, Heading 2 , Heading 3, when specifying the appropriate the path of picture in the EpubSTAR.ini file . ( 2014-01-07 )
Add Text-to-EPUB/MOBI's function of identifying UTF-8 text files without BOM. ( 2014-01-09 )
Add Markdown-to-EPUB/MOBI's function of identifying UTF-8 text files without BOM. So, EpubSTAR's Text-to-EPUB/MOBI and Markdown-to-EPUB/MOBI can identify all the encoding format: ANSI (ASII), UTF-8 ( with or without BOM), UTF-7, UTF-16 (little endian, big endian), UTF-32 (little endian, big endian). ( 2014-01-09 )
Added German, Spanish Word style recognition processing functions, so EpubSTAR can deal with Word documents of German and Spanish. ( 2014-01-26 )
Add local language Word's style name collection function. Youn can feedback me for enhancing the ability to identify the local language Word document. ( 2014-01-26 )

Leonatus
01-28-2014, 01:10 PM
Language switch works well, but it seems not possible to produce an epub. There simply happens nothing, clicking on "Create"-button. Does this only happen to me?

oxen
05-18-2014, 11:02 AM
[EpubSTAR 3.1.1.40518] 2014-05-18 Update:

Add Word-to-EPUB/MOBI's function of text box floating recognition processing.
Add Word-to-EPUB/MOBI's function of "TextBoxtitle" style recognition processing.
Add Marddown-to-EPUB/MOBI's function of underline emphasis recognition processing. So far, all emphasis mark such as asterisk ( * ) and underline ( _ ) could be recognized.
Add Marddown-to-EPUB/MOBI's function of inline code ( ` ) recognition processing in free version of EpubSTAR.
Fixes failure bugs of Word-to-EPUB/MOBI's functions of links, lists and text boxes recognition processing in EpubSTAR 3.1.0.
Increase fault tolerance , to avoid problems of links recognition processing in word document.
Increase fault tolerance , to avoid problems of including spaces before and after source document file name .
Increase fault tolerance , to avoid problems of only containing the ultra-small image in word document.
Earlier Downloads : 110,022 .

[Oxen Style 6.1.1 ]( Oxen Classic Style ) 2014-05-18 Updated :

Add style definitions of floating around.
Optimize the title page title font size.

[EpubSTAR Quick Style 3.1.1 ] ( Oxen Minimalist Style ) 2014-05-18 Updated :

Add style definitions of floating around.

oxen
06-02-2014, 10:44 PM
[EpubSTAR 3.1.1.40602] 2014-06-02 Update:
1. Fixed an array out of bounds issue with image processing.