View Full Version : Cover Image not showing up -

shorshe
08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Hi Folks!

I have a stubborn file, in which the Cover-Image isn't showing up.

I have a (valid) CoverImage.xhtml
It's referenced in the OPF guide section as: <reference href="Text/CoverImage.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover" />
It's referenced in the OPF manifest section as: <item href="Text/CoverImage.xhtml" id="CoverImage.xhtml" media-type="application/xhtml+xml" />

epubcheck and Sigil do not report any errors.

What am I missing?

Jellby
08-31-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a stubborn file, in which the Cover-Image isn't showing up.

It isn't showing up where? There's no real cover in ePub, it's just another page (the first) of the book. Different softwares may try to create a thumbnail or not for the book, but each one uses its own methods to detect what to interpret as cover.

What am I missing?

An image?

JSWolf
08-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Are you using iBooks to view this ePub? iBooks is very finicky.

Have a look at the following thread on how to fix your ePub so the cover shows in iBooks.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148702

shorshe
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
An image?
:D

The CoverImage does not show up in iBooks on an iPad and also not on a Kindle after a kindlegen conversion. I've created about 50 eBooks now and this Problem never occurred so far.

shorshe
08-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Are you using iBooks to view this ePub? iBooks is very finicky.

Have a look at the following thread on how to fix your ePub so the cover shows in iBooks.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148702

Is this the right thread? It just mentions a success, but not the actual process.

mmat1
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
What am I missing?

Is there a:

<meta name="cover" content="cover_pic" />

in the metadata-section of your OPF ?

Content refers to a id in the <manifest> which should look like this:
<item href="Images/Cover.jpg" id="cover_pic" media-type="image/jpeg" />

Or in other words: "Add Semantics ->cover image" should be checked on the cover-image :D

JSWolf
08-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Is this the right thread? It just mentions a success, but not the actual process.

It is the correct thread. Read post #14. You have to edit the OPF and do it like the bold entries in the OPF sample.

shorshe
09-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Or in other words: "Add Semantics ->cover image" should be checked on the cover-image :D

This was the first Thing I did...

shorshe
09-03-2012, 09:54 AM
It is the correct thread. Read post #14. You have to edit the OPF and do it like the bold entries in the OPF sample.

Thanks for your patience :) now I found the error.
My ePub was missing <meta name="cover" content="CoverImage.jpg" />.

Just out of curiosity. Shouldn't Sigil insert this line, when i click "add semantics" ->"Cover image"?

Jellby
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Just out of curiosity. Shouldn't Sigil insert this line, when i click "add semantics" ->"Cover image"?

It could, but nowhere in the specs does it say that a cover image should be marked that way. <meta> tags could contain anything, and it just happen that some programs assign some meaning to a <meta content="cover"> tag, but that's completely out of the spec's scope.

shorshe
09-03-2012, 10:42 AM
It could, but nowhere in the specs does it say that a cover image should be marked that way. <meta> tags could contain anything, and it just happen that some programs assign some meaning to a <meta content="cover"> tag, but that's completely out of the spec's scope.

Ok, understood.
As it seem neither ibooks nor Kindle adhere to the spec in this regard. :(