View Full Version : Header and Footer in EPUB

Raja1205
08-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Hi,

I think that as of now there is no E-reader to support "Header and Footer" of "HTML5 & CSS3" styles in EPUB3.

I need to include "Header" text on each page of the EPUB (Header text may vary from chapter to chapter)

1. Is there any other way to include the "Header" text in EPUB2 or EPUB3? If available, kindly share with me in detail.

3. Does the following codes of "page-template.xpgt" work in some other (ADE alone) E-reader (Ipad, Nook, Kobo, etc.)?

Code for Header and Footer:
---------------------------------------
<ade:style>
<ade:styling-rule selector=".header" display="adobe-other-region" adobe-region="xsl-region-before"/>
<ade:styling-rule selector=".footer" display="adobe-other-region" adobe-region="xsl-region-after"/>
</ade:style>

Thanks,
Raja. S

Toxaris
08-28-2012, 08:44 AM
Ad 1. Yes there is. In fact, there is a specific style for it: oeb-page-head and oeb-page-foot. However, most (all?) reading applications are ignoring it.
Ad 3. No, they are specifc for Adobe. But it will not result in a header or footer anyway.

Where is your number 2?

DaleDe
08-28-2012, 12:57 PM
There is a page in our wiki called Headers and footers that will answer all your questions.

Dale

PageLab
08-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Some time ago I tested this technique to create headers and footers with the page-template file. If you want to take a look, here's the link to the ePUB: http://www.pagelab.com.br/Headers-footers-experiment.epub

It kinda works on ADE and it's ignored on iBooks, but it's a very complicated/deprecated way of doing it and will bloat your code with duplicated paragraph tags... Not really a solution.

DaleDe
08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
Some time ago I tested this technique to create headers and footers with the page-template file. If you want to take a look, here's the link to the ePUB: http://www.pagelab.com.br/Headers-footers-experiment.epub

It kinda works on ADE and it's ignored on iBooks, but it's a very complicated/deprecated way of doing it and will bloat your code with duplicated paragraph tags... Not really a solution.

There is no need for duplicate paragraph tags using this method. The header is only changed when the content changes.

Dale

PageLab
08-28-2012, 10:55 PM
This doesn't use oeb-page-head, it's another old technique: adobe-regions (xls-fo). Anyway, the solution isn't very practical, looks like there's no future for it.

JSWolf
08-28-2012, 10:56 PM
The best way to deal with headers/footers in ePub is just to pretend headers/footers don't actually exist.

Raja1205
08-29-2012, 02:36 AM
Many thanks to all of you for proving the valuable suggestions/comments.