View Full Version : Delicious Library

stustaff
01-05-2008, 07:03 AM
Does anyone else use it?

I put in the ISBN from all of my E-books and then have a virtual library and in the info section of the book I put a shortcut to my digital file.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/images/librarypage/screenshots/cover_BIG.jpg

Its great find it here http://www.delicious-monster.com/

PHugger
01-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I haven't ever seen Delicious before. I use Movie Collector from COLLECTORZ.COM (http://www.collectorz.com/) for my DVDs and VHS tapes. My daughter who is a school teacher uses their Book Collector software for her classroom library. It's a real time saver for my movies. When entering a new movie I can simply scan the barcode and have it lookup the movie and download everything from a choice of a dozen different sources. The result is an IMDB-like database. Keeping all 700 movies accessible is a challenge, but my youngest daughter works in the library and seems to enjoy keeping the shelves in order.

I haven't quite gotten to that point for my books yet and the Sony eBook Library program as feeble as it is, provides enough organization to keep things running smoothly.

PCH

JSWolf
01-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Problem is that you forgot to mention that this program is OS X only.

tompe
01-05-2008, 06:30 PM

Yes, like everybody else in this forum who usually forget to mention that a program or a method is Windows only.

JSWolf
01-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, like everybody else in this forum who usually forget to mention that a program or a method is Windows only.
Very true. We (collective We) do need to get that problem sorted.

stustaff
01-06-2008, 09:49 AM

Thats not the problem! the problem is some people still insist on running other operating systems ;)

sorry yes it is OSX only, itis very good though.

JSWolf
01-06-2008, 10:07 AM
What I am looking for is software to run with Windows, I might have to do this by hand in an access database and manually enter the data.

nekokami
01-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Readerware runs on both, and will look up most of the details from an ISBN manually entered or barcoded.

JSWolf
01-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Does Readerware support ebooks? Can I tell it I have the ebook in LRF, PRC, HTML0, LIT, HTML, etc.???

stustaff
01-06-2008, 10:31 AM
What I am looking for is software to run with Windows, I might have to do this by hand in an access database and manually enter the data.

why not use libprs? that does everything you just said you need doesnt it?

rhadin
01-06-2008, 11:48 AM
Does Readerware support ebooks? Can I tell it I have the ebook in LRF, PRC, HTML0, LIT, HTML, etc.???

Here is an a screen capture of one entry in my Readerware program. In the dropdown where it reads "Hardcover" in the image, there is an entry for "eBook". Truthfully, I just started with eBooks and never thought to use my Readerware to catalogue the few I have acquired.

BTW, all of the book information you see, including the image of the cover, was obtained by Readerware; all I did was originally enter the ISBN.

You can add your comment about which format the eBook is in on the Location or Condition lines. And you can sort by condition.

Alexander Turcic
01-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Does anyone else use it?

I put in the ISBN from all of my E-books and then have a virtual library and in the info section of the book I put a shortcut to my digital file.

http://www.delicious-monster.com/images/librarypage/screenshots/cover_BIG.jpg

Its great find it here http://www.delicious-monster.com/

It's lovely. Makes me want to buy a Mac! :drool:

stustaff
01-06-2008, 03:38 PM
It's lovely. Makes me want to buy a Mac! :drool:

A lot of mac software does that, its what made me get one, that and the price of apple laptops compared to the equivalent PC's.

the best thing about delicios is with 'real' books you just wave the bar code past the isight and it adds it all in its very cool to do.

JSWolf
01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Here is an a screen capture of one entry in my Readerware program. In the dropdown where it reads "Hardcover" in the image, there is an entry for "eBook". Truthfully, I just started with eBooks and never thought to use my Readerware to catalogue the few I have acquired.

BTW, all of the book information you see, including the image of the cover, was obtained by Readerware; all I did was originally enter the ISBN.

You can add your comment about which format the eBook is in on the Location or Condition lines. And you can sort by condition.
In the format field, can you put in multiple formats?

rhadin
01-06-2008, 04:17 PM
the best thing about delicios is with 'real' books you just wave the bar code past the isight and it adds it all in its very cool to do.

That's all you have to do with Readerware, as well -- either type in or scan in the ISBN and the program gets everything for you. And if it is the bookcover view you want, Readerware has it as well (see below, which is a screen capture of one of my Readerware databases in cover view). Readerware is a great program for cataloging on Windows. FWIW, Readerware offers 3 programs: 1 for books, 1 for audio, and 1 for video.

rhadin
01-06-2008, 04:23 PM

No, Jon, you can't because the program catalogs and gets its information based on ISBN or LCCN (Library of Congress Cataloging Number) and each format has a different ISBN.

I think there is a trial program available at http://www.readerware.com. The program is for both Windows and Mac.

JSWolf
01-06-2008, 05:25 PM
But the problem with Readerware is that it is expensive for something I can eventually cobble together using Access.

JSWolf
01-06-2008, 05:27 PM
I'll have to give the trial a test run and see how well it works. But if I give the ISBN number of the ebook, will it go and get the info for it?

nekokami
01-06-2008, 08:04 PM
I'll have to give the trial a test run and see how well it works. But if I give the ISBN number of the ebook, will it go and get the info for it?
Yes, that's the main thing it offers over something you'd cobble together yourself. It can get info from several online bookstores, LibraryThing, the Library of Congress, etc., all based on the ISBN. But it doesn't tie together different editions of the same text very well, e.g. paperback, hardcover, different ebook formats, etc., partially because often these different editions have different ISBNs. The author hasn't had a lot of request for this functionality so far, but I did inquire about it a while back, and if several people write to him about it, he might implement it.

rhadin
01-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Sorry, Jon :o , I gave you a wrong answer as it turns out. In conversation with the creator of Readerware, I mentioned your question and here is his response:

Normally you select a format from the drop down list in the detail view.

But you can also just type in a format. When you click on the Update button to update the record, Readerware adds the new format to the list and sets it as the active selection for that book. Suppose you looking at a hardcover, Hardcover is displayed in the format field. You also have the eBook. So you could just add & eBook to the existing format displayed and click on Update. Now display the format drop down list, the new value is in there.

Now that it is in the list you can select it in other records.

You can use the replace wizard to make changes to multiple records. So if you had a lot of records that you want to set the new format on, select Edit->Replace. See http://www.readerware.com/help/rwGlobalChangeWizard.html

You can also maintain the list columns using the popup menu, see http://www.readerware.com/help/rwDBMaint.html

I would add that the creator of Readerware is very responsive to questions and to resolving problems.
I hope that helps you, Jon.

nekokami
01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
As a follow-up to my earlier post about the lack of a way to tie together different versions of the same text in ReaderWare, part of the problem is a lack of an official unique identifier for the content, as opposed to the format. I.e., if a book is published as a hardcover, trade paperback, mass-market paperback, and ebook, they will probably each have their own ISBN. I suspect that if a book is published as Mobipocket and also as eBookwise, they will also have distinct ISBNs. I think the Library of Congress numbers are also different, but I'm less sure about this (maybe one of our librarian members will know).

Perhaps along with arguing for a single standard ebook format, e.g. ePub, we also need to be arguing for a single way of uniquely referencing the content of a text across multiple formats. A standard way of referencing different editions or translations of the same work could also be quite useful, I think.

astrodad
01-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I have been using Delicious Library to track my paper books and movies for a year now. It's wonderful. I wish they would add support for cataloging ebooks. I know I can create a specific shelf for them but it won't manage the actual files for me.