Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Just ordered one

Well,

I just ordered my Sony PRS-505 from dealvis.com (I think that's what it's called.)

I think I got a pretty good deal. $279 and that includes shipping.

And hopefully it will come to me by Wednesday from UPS.

I was trying to sell my eBookwise, but well, it fell right after I posted, and the screen shattered. I've only had it for one week. Plus I was in the middle of reading "Working for the Devil" By Lilith Saintcrow.

I hope nothing like that happens to this.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sorry to hear about your ebookwise device, but that should be a lesson -- don't read about the devil unless you want to attract attention and suffer catastrophes! ;-)

If you are prone to dropping things, you might consider buying a camera wrist strap and hooking it through the appropriate spot on the 505 and then making sure you attach it to your wrist whenever you're using it. And keep the cover on it and closed when you're not reading so it will be somewhat protected when not in use. You might even consider buying a case for it. I bought a nice very small shoulder bag which the reader fits in very nicely and also has room for other devices and cell-phone while travelling, but would definitely protect it (with its cover closed inside this shoulder bag) should it get dropped. It cost all of $12.99 at a turnpike rest area in Massachusetts (the big one west-bound between Worcester and Sturbridge for people who live somewhere near here).
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did too. I've Spent alot of Time Considering both the Sony and the Kindle, reading reviews, impressions, looking at Content etc. I decided I liked the Sony Device Better. I'll be buying Content from the Connect Store, but I also have a large collection of .Lit Books that I've converted, and also a Large .txt collection that will view on the Sony. I was concerned about the Content side of things, but Sony partnering up with Borders calmed some of that. I read Sci Fi, Star Trek, and others and there's a large selection available in those Genre's.

I liked the fact the Hardware is not white as white would distract me somewhat from the screen and the button layout seems better on the 505.

It'll be a bit before it gets here, but I'll spend the meantime getting my Library in shape with the libprs500 program.

Dave
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post
I did too. I've Spent alot of Time Considering both the Sony and the Kindle, reading reviews, impressions, looking at Content etc. I decided I liked the Sony Device Better. I'll be buying Content from the Connect Store, but I also have a large collection of .Lit Books that I've converted, and also a Large .txt collection that will view on the Sony. I was concerned about the Content side of things, but Sony partnering up with Borders calmed some of that. I read Sci Fi, Star Trek, and others and there's a large selection available in those Genre's.

I liked the fact the Hardware is not white as white would distract me somewhat from the screen and the button layout seems better on the 505.

It'll be a bit before it gets here, but I'll spend the meantime getting my Library in shape with the libprs500 program.

Dave
I bought my 505 from Datavision in person (it's right down the street!). For me, the Sony is great because I simply want to read a lot of books on it, without the "technical" hassles of recharging, waiting for start-up, etc. I have about 30 books on my device and it works perfectly. Instant-on and bookmarks are great (I'm into 4 books right now, which is about my max: 2 novels, a poker book, and some light short-piece reading). The SOny software has presented no problems at all. I think you'll enjoy your Reader!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Congrats!

I am getting used to my new 505.
Just added Russian support to my old 500 and it was inherited by dear other half.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
Congrats!

I am getting used to my new 505.
Just added Russian support to my old 500 and it was inherited by dear other half.
I did the *exact* same thing last month.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Hey DrMoze, have you heard anything positive or negative regarding the datavis online store? I seem to be getting mixed answers about my order from people there.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I did the *exact* same thing last month.
Yeah, I know.
Our significant ones are from the same country
Although, I was born "almost" there as well
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #9
DrMoze
Booknut

Actually Belarus (Minsk) here. And my grandfather immigrated from western Russia/Poland in the early 19th century, which is my closest connection.

Regarding datavision's online store (2 posts up), I haven't heard anything bad--several people here ordered and received Readers from them. I've only been a walk-in customer!